Motoz MN GLX R: Evolution of a Warrior

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Motoz MN GLX R: Evolution of a Warrior

Postby Stevo8 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:13 pm

[quote="motoz"]I have actually in regards to pickup and acceleration. As far as fuel goes mine isn't the best of the lot.

On the recent HC trip I was getting 13lt/100kms calculated at the pump. At each fuel stop I was putting in 10 more liters than Godzilla was putting into his ML.

Thats coz ML's rule!! :lol:
Stevo8

Postby motoz on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:25 pm

ECU and Accelerator interception and enhancement...

I jumped onto the Chipit group buy a while back. I was tossing up between either a chip or ECU retune for a long time. I read every post, review and comment about both. Both have there positives and negatives though for my application the Chip was the easiest option.

I not after huge power I just want to get back what I've lost through the extra weight, drag and larger rolling stock. I took advantage of the discount and bought the full kit with EGT, fuel limiter, OBD2 scan tool and Sdrive throttle controler.

Click to view larger picture

The chip is a full 'plug n play' system. The harness is prefabed with all the matching plugs to allow for a 15min install. I took the time to ensure the loom was routed smoothly without any kinks. While everything was loose I gave all the plastic plugs a dose of silicon spray on the outside of the plasic connectors to keep them from going brittle.

The kit came with a billet blank for the fuel rail though I wasn't keen to use that on my setup so I exchanged it for the Hi Spec unit. This was one part of the instal that I wasn't too keen on to be honest. I'd had a couple looks at the location of the limiter and all the stuff in front and around that I put it in the too hard basket.

Tune 5 ran a dream and I was very happy with the result. I had a play and loaded Tune 6 then 7 though it seemed to have less power with a noticable flat spot around 3000rpm. I assumed that maybe the standard limiter may have been the cause. Armed with a fist full of tools I dove in and swaped over to the Hi Spec unit.

It was a easy job though there is a lot to remove and reinstall to make it happen. In a nutshell you have to remove the battery and tray, move the dipstick, disconnect the loom, remove the throttle body, remove the EGR pipe, remove loom support brackets then you've got enough room to get to the banjo bolt on the end of the limiter.

Once you've fot that off the line needs to be gently moved out of the way to enable the fitting of a 19mm spanner onto the limiter...

These things are dam tight though came loose with no spilled claret... :lol: The upgraded unit fitted, done up tight enough to pop a grape out ya date then reinstall everything in reverse order. I took the time to clean the throttle body as there was a mist of oil residue. Re sealed the EGR and torqued all bolts back up to spec.

I went for a test run and Tune 6 went a lot better than had done previous. With no fuel leaks or issues I'll put this one down as a win.

:D
Last edited by motoz on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Anyone who's driven an Auto MN will know that the throttle responce is virtually non existant. I had heared raved reports about the Sprint Booster though just couldn't justify the asking price. The Sdrive unit seemed like a great option considering the amount of modes it has and the price point.

The unit comes in three parts. The visual display, the control unit and the loom. The looms are vehicle specific though there the same part for the MN / ML.

Installation is only a five minute job though there are a few things to look out for. You have to make sure the car has been turned off for at least 10 min before you dis connect the loom plug on top of the accelerator pedal. Once plugged into the accelerator and power plugged into the OBD2 port you have to calibrate the unit.

This involves recording the voltage values at both 0 and 100% accelerator application. Once set your good to go. There's three Economy modes, nine sports modes or an off position to choose from. In simple terms I'm a convert. They make the vehicle a lot more responsive.

With the Chip and on the lower sport settings ie Sp4 ive virtually eliminated the lag problem when taking off from a standing start. The higher settings Sp 8 and 9 are too aggressive epecially with the auto. It loads the TC up too much for my liking so i find the lower settings better.

8-)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:29 pm

You have been busy. Colour me green :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby godzilla_rising on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:35 pm

It is looking good mate. I get to reorganise my wiring for my light bar sometime this weekend now that I have my new switch. Hopefully tidy it all up and maybe throw in that fuse block.

How is it all going now that its all hooked up. Im very jealous of all the things that you keep getting...
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby motoz on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:14 pm

godzilla_rising wrote:It is looking good mate. I get to reorganise my wiring for my light bar sometime this weekend now that I have my new switch. Hopefully tidy it all up and maybe throw in that fuse block.

How is it all going now that its all hooked up. Im very jealous of all the things that you keep getting...

Yeah mate I'm very impressed with the outcome. The whole setup has made the Triton a real pleasure to drive. The run out to Hattah the other week turned out the best fuel figures the things ever gotten.

680kms from a tank and into the 10's. :shock: if you remember the run over to the HC and it was nudging into the 13's.
I've got no idea what's happened though I'm not going to question it.

Oh and for as for the modifications... round 2 is just about to start.

;)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bronto13 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Great thread. Do I need the Chip it chip or can I just install SDrive to help overcome the Stand start lag?
bronto13

Postby godzilla_rising on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:50 pm

The s drive should be fine on its own, whilst I don't have one, I was involved in troubleshooting Dave's original unit and it was amazing. Throttle response was fantastic...and I'm sure that the chip just makes it even more fun.
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby motoz on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

I agree. It's not a silver bullet though it will definitely help. Teamed with the chip and EGR mod it's virtually eliminated the issues I was having.
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 pm

The big slow down...

As this is the first auto 4wd I have ever own the High Country trip was a steep learning curve. The auto excells in the sand, mud, rocks though hill decents are an isssue. I got caught out a few times on long steep decents with the Tri running away due to the lack of engine breaking. :o

The MN also has the habit of automatically changing up a gear mid decent once the revs reach around 3000 RPM. These two traits had me white nuckled on more than one occasion. I researched the issue and found that the torque converter is responsible for the over run issue and the computer controling the shift points the other.

I learnt about a 'lock up' kit that electronically locks the torque converter allowing a solid link between the motor and transmission. After following a few threads and searching through the net I came across the Wholesale Automatics run on the reduction gears and trans uprades.

There was a run of 20 sets of 3.15 ratio gears. 10 sets to suit manual and the other 10 to suit autos. These were made by Marks Adapters.

Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture

I booked in to have them fitted as well as the lock up kit, Nomad valve body, VDO temp gauge etc.

In comparison the standard gearset is a 1.9 ratio. These are a 3.15 ratio.

Tested at 3000 RPM standard gear ratio.
1st gear = 15 kmp/h
2nd gear = 29 kmp/h
3rd gear = 41 kmp/h
4th gear = 58 kmp/h

The MN won't let you select overdrive 5th gear while in Lloc.

3000 RPM reduction ratio.

1st gear = 5kmp/h
2nd gear = 17 kmp/h
3rd gear = 25 kmp/h
4th gear = 36 kmp/h

We found the steepest hill at Wombat and crawled it down with the lock up switched on in 1st Lloc. It just tickled along full control. I was amazed at the traction !!! On the climb there was no wheel spin so the ASC / TC wasn't cutting in at all. It really has transformed the vehicle.

:D
Last edited by motoz on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:03 pm

All pumped up...

Ive had a little side project ticking along for the last few months. Finally got a few bits in today.

All painted and ready to go. To be continued...
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Daniil on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:26 am

Greetings to you, please tell me the model and brand of a given set of gears, and can it be set in the transmission super Selekt advance very grateful. We in Russia have sent a lot of messages in Marks but they did not respond to us, if you have a number of details I would be happy if you give them to me.
Daniil

Postby snowman on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:09 am

Daniil wrote:Greetings to you, please tell me the model and brand of a given set of gears, and can it be set in the transmission super Selekt advance very grateful. We in Russia have sent a lot of messages in Marks but they did not respond to us, if you have a number of details I would be happy if you give them to me.

Although 'Marks' manufactured these they are being sold (if their are any left) by Rodney at Wholesale Automatics who arranged for the 20 to be made in a one off manufacture run.

He is contactable on

transmissions@optusnet.com.au
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:22 am

As of last week there are only 3 sets of this ratio left from that production run. They are all to suit the manual version also. I know Rodney is away for the next week or so filming DVD's with one of the 4WD mags.

Here's a thread with some install pics and info:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... highlight=

:)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jock71 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:58 am

Great write up Dave, I have had the reduction gears fitted as well but mine is a manual. Only checked first gear standard 14kph and after install 7 kph that should help. Also had a heavy duty clutch installed at the same time. All I need to do now is test the low range out on some hills. Cheers Jock
jock71

Postby newk05 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:34 pm

tHE WAY YOU HAVE YOUR TENT FACING IS GOOD , THE WIFE ON THE OTHER HAND WANTS IT TO BE MOUNTED ON THE ROOF OF THE CAB. THE PROBLEM I CAN SEE IS THE ANNEX NEEDS TO COVER THE BACK OF THE UTE SOTHE KIDS CAN SLEEP IN THE TRAY IS THIS POSSIBLE AND IF HOW ANY IDEAS?
newk05

Postby newk05 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:43 pm

tHE WAY YOU HAVE YOUR TENT FACING IS GOOD , THE WIFE ON THE OTHER HAND WANTS IT TO BE MOUNTED ON THE ROOF OF THE CAB. THE PROBLEM I CAN SEE IS THE ANNEX NEEDS TO COVER THE BACK OF THE UTE SOTHE KIDS CAN SLEEP IN THE TRAY IS THIS POSSIBLE AND IF HOW ANY IDEAS?
newk05

Postby trumpy955 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Mate your ute will be unstoppable now. I'd love a lower 1st low purely for the control factor.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby motoz on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:14 pm

@ newk05

I've never mounted the RTT on the cab roof so I can't say how it would work. Depending on your roof rack type I'm not sure if I'd advise it either. With the weight of the tent and two adults you'd be getting close to 180kg load.

We've only ever used the annex a couple of times to be honest. While touring its a little more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. I find it easier to just pull out the awning and sit under that. It's got a zip on fly screen room if the bugs are out.

I've only had it setup to open to the drivers side on the vehicle. With only 1.1m to work with I can't see you'll clear the tub with the ladder if you had it cab mounted and rear opening.

Hope this helps.

:)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mmaaxx on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:10 am

Mate! just came across your build....Awesome.....

crawler gears in a current triton....who would have thought.

we should do a trip together one day.....the hilux and triton crawlers! :twisted:
The Punisher's Build - - http://www.newhilux.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=35
max@monsterrides.com.au
mmaaxx

Postby Mattstruck on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 pm

You have been a busy little bee Dave! Most impressed. Can't wait to talk lock ups over a beer at robe ;)
So the s drive is sorted and it's a good thing eh?
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby motoz on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Yes mate got it sorted in the end. Kudos to Tony for helping me out with the trouble shooting. Turns out it was a poor connection in the OBD2 port that was giving me P2108 throttle position sensor codes. It's all fixed.

They really help the lag in the auto around town. Yes a plethora of beers and lamb chops will be had over the Oz day trip I'm sure.

:lol:
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 pm

So when are the wide flares going to be fitted :?:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jab461 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:03 pm

motoz wrote:Yes mate got it sorted in the end. Kudos to Tony for helping me out with the trouble shooting. Turns out it was a poor connection in the OBD2 port that was giving me P2108 throttle position sensor codes. It's all fixed.

They really help the lag in the auto around town. Yes a plethora of beers and lamb chops will be had over the Oz day trip I'm sure.

:lol:

Mate how did you fix the S-Drive mate? I've been getting the same code on mine!
jab461

Postby motoz on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:10 pm

jab461 wrote:Mate how did you fix the S-Drive mate? I've been getting the same code on mine!

My fix involved removing the OBD2 plug and hardwiring the S Drive unit to a 12v power feed. This seemed to solve the problem.
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups