Homers tray build....lots of pics

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Homers tray build....lots of pics

Postby Quinny on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:56 am

That's a nice piece of kit ;)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:26 pm

borngeek wrote:Absolutely hot! Love it 8-)

Those welds. :o Damn impressive work! :D

Just on these hi-lift points... The one you mentioned in the image below seems to fall inside the line of the wheel... Possibly making it hard to get the actual wheel off? Dunno till you test, I guess :mrgreen:

//I do note the rear bar has its own hi-lift points too... Using those probably be the go? (other than your sliders) :lol: options a plenty! Great design 8-) 8-) 8-)

Click to view larger picture

Yeah you are right mate. I tested it and I would possibly not get the MT's off with the zero offset, but shouldn't have a problem with the factory rims at +38.
They are just an extra point for 'what if' anyway....makes it easy to get a wheel up for packing if bogged etc...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 pm

perko wrote:Nice work Hover, looks very impressive.

One question, we've all talked about bent chassis and weight on the back of a dual cab, how have you designed it with the tray, tow bar assembly and wheel carriers to handle things fully loaded?

coxy47 wrote:Mate that looks great. Definitely makes me want to get a steel tray more. 8-)

I also like the idea of the swing away wheel carriers as i hate having the spare under the tub. Ive got pretty much the same question as perko though. Is the rear bar integrated into the trays mounting so that the weight of the wheel carrier is more evenly distributed across the chassis??

I discussed this with Brett - he mentioned it.
The tray is built with two big 300mm C section rails running right in line with the chasis rails, with angle iron cross braces from one side to the other as seen in the photo below. C section adds lots of strength with little weight due to the design allowing for lighter gauge.

The tray still utilizes the same 6 chasis mount points as you can't get around that without a lot of mucking about, but those big rails mean that they will spread the load as well and will have to bend for the chasis to bend rear of the first mount point.
There is no getting around the "fulcrum" point bending in any design. But without adding air bags to bring that fulcrum point forward of that front tray mount point I see no real issues unless stupidly overloading.

Tritons don't have a weak chasis, just changing that fulcrum point forward by adding airbags increases the potential risk of overloading that area not designed to be the pivot for the load.
This is the tray rails as good as I can get now it is on the car.

Front mount point for the tub/tray looking back

From the back looking forward

The rear bar is mounted using the factory towbar mount points, but unlike the factory 3mm? chasis rail strengthening plate we have used a 10mm plate, so the mount point is definitely stronger.
However anything off the back of the ute does add downforce to the chasis - although that is somewhat stiffened compared to factory by those 300mm deep rails.
The bar itself is strong as hell with the vertical stiffener plates also having a 45 degree bend at the bottom end. Helps sliding along rocks and adds strength. It is significantly stronger than Hayman Reece, ARB or factory bar - IMO.

I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:12 pm

wake jake wrote:Looks great Homer quality looks to be up there with the best. It has some similarities to mine. Clearance with a tray is fantasic :) Did you consider a water tank/fuel tank underneath?

Hey Jake thanks.
At this stage extra water and fuel didn't cross my mind, however there is plenty of room under there for either. As said I can nearly sit up underneath and a shortish person could sit under quite easily so there is extra storage available for any number of ideas.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Just spotted this thread.
That looks very good Homer. I've never been a fan of the tub or tray behind a double cab, it looks like a traffic jam and seems to spoil the otherwise good design from there forwards but that transforms the whole look of the vehicle and shows what they could have done.
At a glance it's even got a bit of Hummer about it. Very smooth! 8-)

I haven't seen any mention of a couple of points and have to ask-
What will it cost and would alloy be a possibility?

Where did you get the latches?
I wouldn't mind getting a set of those to fit on my tray. 8-)
sierra

Postby coxy47 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Very nice. Definitly the strongest mounting for the rear bar ive ever seen 8-) .
Last edited by coxy47 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coxy47

Postby snowman on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:31 pm

coxy,

one of the reasons they are not integrated is that you can buy just the tray and not the bar.

I have met the builder of this tray and his attention to detail and 'care' in his product is pretty special. He is a top bloke.

i think the only problem with this tray will be the length of the order queue.

And those of you that missed it he is considering both a towbar/rear step with standard tub and one with a tub chop. Anyone interested in a tub chop bar make your interest known. I am.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:34 pm

I hear what you are saying mate but I don't think the wheel carriers will place much load on the chasis Coxy. With both wheels on you are looking at around 50-60kg's with MT's and steel wheels. That is tow ball weight and they take plenty more than that.
The reason they are separate is so that everything swings away clean and you can drop the sides and or rear and load from any angle. It's also why I went away from his one arm design. It interferes with both rear and side loading somewhat.

You can also drop it off altogether if you are doing some serious wheeling and gain about 10 degrees in departure angle 8-) which you would consider if doing big steps like Wheeny Ck etc...

Sierra, my costs are going to be totally different to production models. He has already improved the design and lowered the manufacture costs. I can say that the bar itself is a little more than half the cost of a Kaymar bar and the tray is a little more than the Kaymar bar, but cheaper than most other custom options I've seen.

In fact I think both together are around the price of a good custom tray alone...although they are not cheap. You pay for what you get I guess. I don't think Aly is in the wings, but you never know. Aluminium always seems to rattle and loosen up no matter what you do.

Give Brett Janssen a call at Just Powdercoating on 0397206737. He would be happy to help as he is keen to do some more of these. He would also have the latch supplier details...they are very good latches :D

Did I also mention he is designing a rear protection bar for the Triton with a 1/4 chop? 8-)
Looking at the tub there is a lot that can come off without changing the inner diameters or hinge points etc....will increase departure significantly I think if you can get that spare tyre out of there too.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I'd be interested in the rear bar and chop. 8-)
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wallace on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Looks the goods Homer. :D :D

Gotta love the attention to detail ;)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby fraz91 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Looks fantastic Homer. The powdercoated white is amazing.

I REALLY like that Triton VR one he's got. The way the roof-racks extend over the cab has me a little concerned, but I guess as long as you've got enough clearance between the roof and the racks for chassis-flex then you should be fine. Are there any plans of a shortened tray version (i.e. comp-style)? I reckon a triton with a comp-tray would just look mean 8-)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby coxy47 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeh sorry if my comment was taken the wrong way. I completely understand why its built that way and agree that there wont be a problem. It was only meant as a comment and not meant to say anything against the quality of the workmanship and the design of this setup. Its clearly that the setup is absolutely top quality and as snowy said the attention to detail appears second to none.

The only thing thats stopping me calling Brett to order one is that i cant afford right now 8-)

I agree with Fraz that a comp style tray on a triton would look awesome.
Last edited by coxy47 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coxy47

Postby jop on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:38 pm

I know the swingaway was Homers preference, but another option for the centre storage box is fitting 2 x 235/85/16 spares in there.
Makes your departure angle even better, keeps costs down, weight central and higher security.

It would be very interesting if the new larger box could be made large enough to fit the more common 265 options.
jop

Postby Homer on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:17 pm

coxy47 wrote:Yeh sorry if my comment was taken the wrong way. I completely understand why its built that way and agree that there wont be a problem. It was only meant as a comment and not meant to say anything against the quality of the workmanship and the design of this setup. Its clearly that the setup is absolutely top quality and as snowy said the attention to detail appears second to none.

The only thing thats stopping me calling Brett to order one is that i cant afford right now 8-)

I agree with Fraz that a comp style tray on a triton would look awesome.

Sorry Coxy I didn't mean to sound like I was cranky mate :oops: :oops:

I was hoping people would make comments and possible changes as the designer has been making heaps himself. That's also why the pricing is going to be different to mine.
It's not about one particular tray but rather perfecting the tray as much as possible so people could get what they want.
I was trying to say why I went that way and sounded defensive...sorry bloke.
There will be plenty of different ways of doing things...the next tray has hidden hinges etc apparently...I wasn't listening properly and didn't understand :oops:

He would easily do a comp tray length no problems at all. It would look awesome. The only reason I didn't go that way (my real first choice) was for work moving pallets and bulk stuff - and room for camping gear.

The hole up the guts will be quite a bit higher and possibly wider so sliding wheels or anything else up there is entirely possible.

Fraz, the Triton VR one is virtually identical to mine except slightly shorter and wider and has the single wheel carrier rear bar...most everything else is identical....that's why I was saying how good a dark one would look as his looks awesome I reckon ;)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby dan.batto on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Homer, this is a top notch looking tray mate! I just saw the pic of Brett's truck an remember spotting him one time when I went to get a hire car for work! He does a top job! Looks fantastic!
dan.batto

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 pm

sierra wrote:

They look a lot like these ones http://www.ovesco.com.au/products.php?catname=Hardware&cat=1&sub=1&subname=Over%20Centre%20Catches&subsubid=2&subsubname=Adjustable%20S/Steel

If that link doesn't work go to ovesco.com.au and look for something called an over centre catch.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby stefanos on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Fantastic job Homer!!!I like the details on it!!! Bravo!!
stefanos

Postby sierra on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:
sierra wrote:

They look a lot like these ones http://www.ovesco.com.au/products.php?catname=Hardware&cat=1&sub=1&subname=Over%20Centre%20Catches&subsubid=2&subsubname=Adjustable%20S/Steel

Thanks Dave.
Good prices, especially considering they are 316SS. :D
sierra

Postby trumpy955 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Damn mate, you are living my dream. That is a sweet looking tray you got yourself there Homer. You must be stoked !!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby sierra on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Homer wrote:Sierra, my costs are going to be totally different to production models. He has already improved the design and lowered the manufacture costs. I can say that the bar itself is a little more than half the cost of a Kaymar bar and the tray is a little more than the Kaymar bar, but cheaper than most other custom options I've seen.
In fact I think both together are around the price of a good custom tray alone...although they are not cheap. You pay for what you get I guess. I don't think Aly is in the wings, but you never know. Aluminium always seems to rattle and loosen up no matter what you do.
Give Brett Janssen a call at Just Powdercoating on 0397206737. He would be happy to help as he is keen to do some more of these. He would also have the latch supplier details...they are very good latches :D

That sounds extremely good value. I would be interested in a full size version[sorry guys ;) ] in alloy for my single cab simply for the cool bling factor. I would miss those rattles now.
sierra

Postby manrajf on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:10 am

:shock: That looks awesome
2009 UK model, Going through some drastic changes
manrajf

Postby mattz on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:35 am

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
That's one impressive looking tray and its well made too.
The rear bar for a tub chop might become popular with the MN owners.......might overcome that departure angle problem and still have the benefit of the larger tub. ;)
He's a thinking man. 8-)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Homer on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 am

Thanks for the compliments guys...I wish I built it :lol:

Yeah I'd be in a 1/4 chop on the ML tub in a second as well.
It's the only weak point you can fix (of course the front with an xrox or other bbar) as the poorish ramp over can only be protected with sliders but you can get rid of plenty of useless tub wing hanging down there at the back and remove the ARB grader blade 8-)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby coxy47 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:33 am

All good mate didn't come across that way. Just having re read my comments I didn't want them to come across as bagging what is clearly a very well built and thought out product.
coxy47

Postby Steane on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 am

Awesome tray Homer! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Suits the Tri perfectly (unlike many) and works really well in white.

I can't see an issue with the rear wheel carriers, for the reasons mentioned and because it's not an MN tray with it all hanging out way past where it should. It looks to be quite well balanced IMO.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups