Homers tray build....lots of pics

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby Homer on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I've done plenty of mods to Snowflake over the years and while not unhappy about them, they were never big enough to make a song and dance about..except the front locker :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:

However I feel this last mod, a quality steel tray and bar is worth a few photos and a thread on its own in case others wish to go down this road.

I will say now, sorry for the number of photos. Please feel free to ask any questions as I'd be happy to answer them.

I found what I thought was the best fitted tray to the Triton's round rear end of the tub, courtesy of an old member UAV doing a drive by photo shoot of one he saw in Melbourne.

I contacted Brett from Just Powdercoating to find out where he got it and was happy to find out his company manufactured it. Steane was a huge help and drove around to closely inspect Brett's tray before he headed to Adelaide ( we know what a fussy pr*ck he is) and he gave it two thumbs up...thanks mate 8-) :D

To cut a long story short, Brett was happy to build me a similar tray to my specific requirements and we went from there.

He took nearly three months designing my tray (he has taken all the weight out of it while maintaining maximum strength) and has drawn the whole thing in CAD to be easily and cost effectively reproduced for anyone else interested.

I will say after meeting him he is not only a top bloke (he drove to Sydney with a mate on Friday evening to deliver the tray and assist in installation after his wife gave birth on Thursday afternoon :shock: ) , he is a perfectionist and thinker and he already has modifications engineered to the next tray to offer bigger under tray drawer space while saving up to $700....there's always a trade off for being first off the rank I guess :roll: :)

The whole thing is manufactured - from the sides being precision bent flat plate rather than off the shelf items, to the through the bar tow hitch.

This tray would look absolutely sensational in black on a dark car 8-) 8-)

There are heaps of photos of it in manufacture if people would like to see the quality of weld and steel used during the process. I will include some here while trying to not overload with photos.

You will need to click some for full view.

In production:

Click to view larger picture

Big thanks to the Snowies for accommodating me as I met Brett half way (Sydney) for the install.
Brett hung around and helped with changing over the tub for the tray and had us finished in less than half the time we had anticipated.

As we had an hour or two up our sleeve we didn't think we would get I asked the guys to take me to some rock steps to check the clearance. While only having a short time to have a quick play, it was enough to work out that with a much bigger tray - internal dimensions of 1750 wide by 1460 long, I have more clearance than a higher than normal lifted ML with an ARB bar.

Once I get my Ultimate suspension, I should have better clearance again :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It is also worth noting I donated my tub (including smoke tail lights :( ) to Brett to design a rear bar to suit a 1/4 chop Triton, so there is possibly another quality mod about to be available for the Tritons 8-) especially MN guys?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Re: Homers tray build....lots of pics

Postby snowman on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:49 pm

looks awesome. 8-) 8-) :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:53 pm

pick me pick me ill be SECOND cab off the rank

LOVE IT MATE :D
mad992

Postby Blue on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Two thumbs up, top tray and great workmanship...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:11 pm

mate- looks awesome- but is it heavier than than the standard tub????
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby trouble on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Two thumbs up!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Snooozy on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:44 pm

looks 8-) 8-)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:47 pm

You've found the missing link. I'll take one in black thanks !!!
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:03 pm

I didn't weigh it :oops: but from removing the old one and installing the new one I'd say somewhere less than double the weight - that is the tray...does that sound like Snowman's post thing in Quinny's thread? :?

Brett estimated the total weight of the tray and rear bar combined to max at about 250kg's. The bar is quite heavy and solid. But I had it made with 2 swing out wheel carriers and will have an adaptor for a jerry can or whatever for the second as well.

I have a petrol which as everyone knows doesn't have the torque of the diesel and I notice pretty much no difference in performance - the muddies make more difference - (Brett's is a V6 and he has ditched his original tray due to weight and built a second like mine). There is weight there as the rear is more like the ride from a coil vehicle, although I know that means I need to upgrade my suspension.
At this stage I would say the weight difference isn't anything I would be concerned about

There are also holes cut in the two rear corners to take a duplicate of the front hoop bar in sqaure box section for putting on a canvas canopy for camping. I'll be doing that - probably should hit Brett up for the cost on that seeing he has the cad drawings with all the angles :roll:

I've run it off road (including hitting it on rock steps etc) and for about 1,500 km's on bitumen now and there isn't a noise form it :D :D :D
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby motoz on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:20 pm

The rear hoop and some spreader bars to the front hoop to mount the RTT would be on my list.

Do you only have that center draw and the rear pods for storage? Is there enough room under there for water and air tanks?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:24 pm

So homer - slide out shelf in the centre compartment, with drop down legs for a table ;)
jop

Postby timbo on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:27 pm

That looks awesome mate. You would expect it be heavy for the workmen ship that has gone into it, that's just the price you have to pay for having something that's built to last and not fall apart. Great stuff looks tuff
timbo

Postby Homer on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:55 pm

motoz wrote:The rear hoop and some spreader bars to the front hoop to mount the RTT would be on my list.

Do you only have that center draw and the rear pods for storage? Is there enough room under there for water and air tanks?

Yeah mate, that's all I have, but that's all I wanted at the time so there is possibly potential there.
There is quite a lot of room under the centre drawer area. I have a 100mm lip up into the factory at work and if I drive the wheels onto that (a bit like a 100mm ramp) you can basically sit upright underneath it so I reckon there is room available. Heaps more than with the tub.

If anyone wants measurements of anything I will be happy to take them. I say this as I think you could incorporate ideas into this tray and Brett is really accommodating as it is a custom build that he is now trying to get into semi production.

jop wrote:So homer - slide out shelf in the centre compartment, with drop down legs for a table ;)

Yeah that was a good idea mate 8-) . I had always thought of a drawer but they are around $1,500 but just a flat slide would work just as well and two fold down legs would make a decent table top on the beach or for a quick lunch or something...

Excuse the mud from my driveway :oops: but these pins are spring loaded and when you open the wheel carriers they just pop right into position to hold them open at 90 degrees to the tray. You lift them to go out further (maybe 120 degrees I'll have to look as I paid no attention :oops: ) or to return the carrier to the back of the tray...it's a great idea 8-)

Quality adjustable clamps to lock the sides solid so no rattles even later in life.

High lift jack points above each rear wheel

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tukadafoonday on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Homer - that tray is incredible! I love it.... Exactly what I dream about when I think of a tray.
tukadafoonday

Postby Homer on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks for the compliments everyone, but it is all Just Powdercoting's work.
I wish I could be so particular on fabrication work ( I was a very good welder) but unfortunately I'm mr 90% on many things and don't have a good enough eye for detail during design.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Absolutely hot! Love it 8-)

Those welds. :o Damn impressive work! :D

Just on these hi-lift points... The one you mentioned in the image below seems to fall inside the line of the wheel... Possibly making it hard to get the actual wheel off? Dunno till you test, I guess :mrgreen:

//I do note the rear bar has its own hi-lift points too... Using those probably be the go? (other than your sliders) :lol: options a plenty! Great design 8-) 8-) 8-)

Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wake jake on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Looks great Homer quality looks to be up there with the best. It has some similarities to mine. Clearance with a tray is fantasic :) Did you consider a water tank/fuel tank underneath?
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby ratstriton on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:47 am

Great looking tray homer, I had looked at bretts tray at his work shop when I had my tray powder coated.And yes hey is a top bloke to deal with.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:27 am

The first thing I said was "That's Hot".....

My wife asked what is... Looked....then Oh God what now..... :lol: :lol:

That looks awesome man I have been looking at a dual wheel carrier for some time and now I might be able to do bit more at the same time. ;) ;)

Very impressed and very jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:44 am

Impressive. That guy has got it dialled, quality work!
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby perko on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am

Nice work Hover, looks very impressive.

One question, we've all talked about bent chassis and weight on the back of a dual cab, how have you designed it with the tray, tow bar assembly and wheel carriers to handle things fully loaded?
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

Postby Chris. on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:07 am

Looks fantastic, really good. Can I ask what size wheels & tyres you have on your Triton?
Chris.

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:41 am

From his shed mate:

275/70/17 D694's
265/75/16 Khumo KL71 muds on Sunny's for play time
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coxy47 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 am

Mate that looks great. Definitely makes me want to get a steel tray more. 8-)

I also like the idea of the swing away wheel carriers as i hate having the spare under the tub. Ive got pretty much the same question as perko though. Is the rear bar integrated into the trays mounting so that the weight of the wheel carrier is more evenly distributed across the chassis??
coxy47

Postby Chris. on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:50 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:From his shed mate:

275/70/17 D694's
265/75/16 Khumo KL71 muds on Sunny's for play time

Thanks Dave.
Chris.

Next

Return to Member Build Ups