Joels triton build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Joels triton build

Postby joelzo on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi all,
Thought its about time to start a build thread and list some of the mods so far.
Ive always had gq patrols, 2 shortys, a shorty ute and a Ti long wheel base, all had big lifts and 35's. Well except the lwb, that had 37" stt's 8-)
Anyway it was time for diesel duel cab thats comfy for day to day driving aswell as the odd camping trip away.
I already have a 2x4 MN for work which im happy with so it was an easy pic which 4x4 duelcab to go for.
So bought the 2011 mn new this year.
Click to view larger picture

Originally I bought coil spacers and extended shackles, I soon learnt my lesson!

A week or 2 later i was in contact with brendan from ultimate who set me straight and had the new suspension delivered to me in no time.
Wow what a difference, should have done this to start with.

At the same time i ditched the original 17" alloys for 16" steelies and nexen AT2 265/75/16's

Next thing was the spotties.
Lightforce 170 strikers, these lasted about 2 weeks and some scumbag decided they'd pinch em from my driveway!
hmmm 255 character limit hey...
joelzo

Re: Joels triton build

Postby joelzo on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Lucky for me my neighbor (who also had his pinched the night before) has a good contact to get these wholesale.

This time i decided to convert them to HID. Bought the adaptors from ebay, easy job.
Heres the conversion adaptor
joelzo

Postby joelzo on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Couple weeks later these snorkels came up online. Exact copy of safari, $100 and fits perfect.
Took about half a day to fit, pretty fiddly job.
Installed a K&N filter at the same time too, now have that induction growl 8-)

joelzo

Postby joelzo on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Had these led work lights lying around from the camper trailer that i never ended up using.
Turns out they fit perfectly in the rear bumpers
joelzo

Postby Brent1 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:25 am

Your reversing lights really good. Do you find you notice much difference with the HID conversion in your spot lights from standard? Like a big enough difference that you think, "I'm pleased I did that"?
Brent1

Postby joelzo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Brent

Reversing light makes a big difference, mostly for the reverse camera at night. I must admit I STILL havent fitted the other side yet either..

I am glad I did the HID conversion, considering how much cheaper it is to do as opposed to buying the HID lights. The only thing I am not that happy with is I really wanted 5000K lights and they sent 6000K. I couldnt help myself and went ahead and fitted them. I just feel there's more glare, from new street signs etc than if I had the 5000k.
joelzo

Postby David Maritz on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 am

joelzo wrote:Hi all,
Thought its about time to start a build thread and list some of the mods so far.
Ive always had gq patrols, 2 shortys, a shorty ute and a Ti long wheel base, all had big lifts and 35's. Well except the lwb, that had 37" stt's 8-)
Anyway it was time for diesel duel cab thats comfy for day to day driving aswell as the odd camping trip away.
I already have a 2x4 MN for work which im happy with so it was an easy pic which 4x4 duelcab to go for.
So bought the 2011 mn new this year.

Originally I bought coil spacers and extended shackles, I soon learnt my lesson!

A week or 2 later i was in contact with brendan from ultimate who set me straight and had the new suspension delivered to me in no time.
Wow what a difference, should have done this to start with.

At the same time i ditched the original 17" alloys for 16" steelies and nexen AT2 265/75/16's

Next thing was the spotties.
Lightforce 170 strikers, these lasted about 2 weeks and some scumbag decided they'd pinch em from my driveway!

Sorry to ask about it here but you made a comment on realising your mistake in regards the spacers and extended shackles? Why did you make a mistake?

I would like to know as I am also going to start on a suspension on my Triton and would like to find out more.
David Maritz

Postby wake jake on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:59 am

Builds coming along nicely always loved the ironbark colour. What mods are next?
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby joelzo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:28 am

Well thanks wake jake, glad you asked.

Next was the exhaust. I did do a bot of thread on this but ill add it here.

As a stainless fabricator i decided to knock up my own 3" dump pipe and exhaust.

I just laid the 3" mandrel bends over the original dump pipe to get the general shape and size.

I cut the turbo flange off the original dump pipe and used that again. I did have to open up the inside of it with an oxy.

Here it is bolted back in. All fit well luckily.

Heres the whole thing from dump pipe back before fitting. At this point i only had a single hotdog and thats it. VERY noisy and ive added a rear muffler since then.

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

I managed the make the whole thing in one piece and slide it into position from the back.

Next was to make up some hangers. I used a few off the original exhaust and made up some too from old round bar i had in the shed.

This rear section is a bit different now as theres an offset turbo muffler there now.

Ill put up a pic of how it looks now when i get a chance.

Very happy with the result. Took me a weekend and about $400 in materials including the muffler and hotdog.
Certainly louder and much deeper note now with much more turbo whistle too ive noticed.

Edit: heres the new muffler. Ill have to change this around a bit though dow the track when i modify the tow bar and fit rear bar 8-)
Last edited by joelzo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
joelzo

Postby joelzo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:38 am

David maritz PM sent re suspension
joelzo

Postby Brent1 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:19 pm

joelzo wrote:Hi Brent

Reversing light makes a big difference, mostly for the reverse camera at night. I must admit I STILL havent fitted the other side yet either..

I am glad I did the HID conversion, considering how much cheaper it is to do as opposed to buying the HID lights. The only thing I am not that happy with is I really wanted 5000K lights and they sent 6000K. I couldnt help myself and went ahead and fitted them. I just feel there's more glare, from new street signs etc than if I had the 5000k.

Thanks for the info Joel
Brent1

Return to Member Build Ups