Bob's Truck Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Bob's Truck Build

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:31 pm

;) Here you go Bob. A dodgy hand drawn wiring diagram. ;)

Hope you can make sense of it :roll:

Click to view larger picture

Stupid bloody thing :x I just turned it around :roll:
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Cheers Matt!

U think the OEM reverse light cable and fuse can supply the reverse light as well??
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Depends if its LED or not! If its an old filament or Halogen bulb maybe/maybe not.
LED?.... well its been working strong on mine for years ;)
I have a 16W unit from memory :oops:
Lights up the beachs of Beachport for late night fishing no worries from 50 odd meters ;)

If any more light is required the HID 225 Narvas take care of the duties ;) :lol:
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Ya, they're 20 watt Led's pulling just over an amp current.

Sure will give it ago. Will just have to see if the custom rocker switch I have is a 3 way switch. Doubt it somehow. Ah sure, will give it a go.

Cheers Matt!
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:32 pm

So, i managed to do a little bit on the truck the last few weeks.

I want to keep the cabin inside relatively clean, so started a switch panel. Installed the one switch I have so far in it as well:

Got the idea off of one of the guys here, i think from Dan if I'm not mistaken. Easy spot to install it and got everything wired up nicely so works off of the interior lights at night. Happy with the outcome. Now just to fill up the remainder of the panel... Compressor & lockers anyone???

Also managed to (with a big thanks to Motoz) to get the snorkel installed. Got a great deal of 4wdsupplies. Glen was a gent as always.

After the heart breaking section:

Final install:

Also installed a Unifilter. Have noticed a slight decrease in fuel consumption but will need a bit more time to see if that's true as was trying to measure it during the Robe trip and 4wd in soft sand doesn't really give a good measure :lol: :lol:
Gotta love the induction sounds tho.

And just yesterday got it back following the 120k service. Running real smooth now...
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Yeah mate, it's a good spot, looks good! Just ordered one of those plastic panels myself!
Doing a complete overhaul of my electronics. - ill save the details for my build.

But it's coming along nicely!

What's next?
dan.batto

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Going to do a bit of wiring in my spare time now. Reverse light, camp lights in awning, try to improve inverter position a bit.

Then hopefully start the save up for either bar work or suspension. Still on OEM suspension after 120k so thinking that might have to get.done...
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:34 pm

So, have done a few bits since my last post.

I managed to swing a good deal from ARB for a deluxe bull bar during their clearance sale a few months back. Had them colour code it and fitted. Thinks it looks good and is probably the cheapest ARB bar in Oz.

I then got a 22" light bar as part of.deal with a winch, so fitted that on the bar

big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:41 pm

And today I spent a good few hours fitting the new winch. Got a good deal on the new tigerz11 dominator or domin8r as they call it.

Only tip when ordering is to mention ur bar when ordering and if u have an arb bar get an offset fairlead from them.

big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tim007 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Looks good mate. One question about your winch. How easy does it free spool? Can you pull it out by hand quite easily or do you need to use a bit of weight.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Didn't try that tonight Tim. I fed it out and in quite easily but didn't try the clutch. Have read on hear tho that it can be the grease mice with cold weather which stiffens up the free spooling.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Finally ordered the suspension upgrade from ultimate, based on the reviews here. Can't wait now!
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sharkey on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 pm

You won't regret the suspension upgrade, the guys at Ultimate do a fantastic job and it makes the world of difference. I got my suspension upgrade installed earlier on this year and I just finished installing the same winch, Tigerz11 Dominator 12000ilb, couldn't knock back the deal. The only issue I come across was the need to cut an access hole into the MCC Alloy Bullbar for gaining access to the clutch. The existing slot was way too small to put your hand through. Overall it turned out really good, still looks like it came out of the factory as is.
Sharkey

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi sharky, ya I'm looking forward to it. Should get the suspension installed next Thursday. Just hope it gets here by then!

I didn't have that problem. Can easily reach the clutch handle. U mentioned an alloy bar. Can u install a winch on an alloy bar?
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kampas on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:00 pm

The draw system looks great!. if u don't mind me asking what is the frame build out of? and is it welded together? Im thinking about making a draw system for my Triton and i was going to build the frame out of wood but the metal frame seems like a better option.
kampas

Postby Sharkey on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Yeah a lot of the new Alloy Bars (MCC & ECB) now have provision for the winch, they achieve this by reinforcing the centre area with hardened steel, well that's what it looks like to me.
As for the suspension, I got a 2" lift kit suited to more your comfort ride through the guys at Ultimate Suspension and was quite surpised at the height in which I gained. I still have the original tyres on as we speak 245 x 65 x 17 however I am looking to upsize over the coming month to the 265 x 70 x 17, KELLY SAFARI TSR is what I'm leaning towards.
Sharkey

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi Kampas, the aluminium box section has worked a treat. It's 25mm box section from caprel (I think that's the crowd). The come with easy corner joints in different shapes which just hammer into the box section. Easy as really and pretty strong. I then just bolted on the plywood and carpet.

Sharkey, I didn't know that about the alloy bars. Good for keeping the weight down and an alternative to the steel! I reckon my car will raise about 4 inches now with a 2" lift. My truck is fairly low. My back springs make a sad face...
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mitsu0069 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi Bob, Nice looking rig you got bud. On your canopy, Is there a internal frame fitted for the extra weight ? from your pics I couldn't see one. If not how is is holding up to the extra weight of the tent etc. As I am looking to make a frame system to fit to my genuine canopy so I can fit a rack.
Cheers
Mitsu0069
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:51 am

Hi mitsu, there is no frame. I bought the canopy off tuff troop, who was running a RTT on the canopy. When I got mine, I too was a bit dubious if it would hold. It's been on for over a year now and has held fine.

The canopy is rated to 75kg I think from memory and the tent doesn't weigh that much. I'm pretty sure those weights refer to dynamic load, rather then static weight when the car isn't moving.

It's something I think about adding at some stage but so far have not needed it.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:13 pm

So, with my recent tax return, and the fact that the truck was very close to just grinding it's way down the road due to the weight in the front, I got an Ultimate 2" lift installed, and the transformation has been a good one.

The truck is at a real nice height now and is level again. The road handling and driving is much better. The off road is fantastic, both on corrugated roads and on the tracks.

Not sure if you can see the lift on this one, but it's there.

The day after I got that installed, the missus and I took a long weekend and headed up to the Bendleby Ranges in the Southern Flinders. Here's a few shots of the weekend. Hope I make a few jealous...

Myself and the truck

A few touring shots:

Bottom of Billy Goat Ridge:

Billy Goat Ridge the track:

Unfortunate tire damage (think I could claim warranty??):

The Bridle Track on the way home@

After the weekend:
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:45 pm

I got a new favourite speed setting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:02 am

Mattstruck wrote:;) Here you go Bob. A dodgy hand drawn wiring diagram. ;)

Hope you can make sense of it :roll:

Stupid bloody thing :x I just turned it around :roll:

Where's the fuses on the non ome reversing light feed
viking shippy

Postby bill65 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:52 am

looking very good bob ;)
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks Bill. Merry Christmas.

I ended up not wiring it up that way VS. I just tapped into the reverse light at the reverse light, so relying on the factory fuse.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:10 am

Hit a bit of a problem following a weekend of tracks. Not sure if they are related but hoping it's just a fuse.

1. All Windows except for the drivers door ain't working, including g rear window.
2. Temperature control on the climate control seems to be fixed, except if I turn it all the way done, at which case it goes freezing cold.

Any ideas?
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups