SPB 2012 GLX

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

SPB 2012 GLX

Postby SPB on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:42 pm

We picked up our GLX a few months ago and now the tinkering has begun. First our TJM bullbar, siderails and snorkel were added. You will notice there is only the side steps and not the full side rails due to the 4WD shop buggered up.Last night we fitted the Aluminium canopy. The canopy isnt bad, a little less quality than I hoped, but on the whole not bad.I cant really complain after having it built in Adelaide, shipping to Darwin was still half the price of getting one made in Darwin!
Now the work will begin on fitting the 60L Engel, 75L water tank, 2 x 120ah batteries, reverse cameras(one for reversing and the other for looking at whats following me), Nasa BM1, UHF radio and BFG tyres. Just need to find some rims I like. Also the fuel tank project of another original tank on the opposite side as an auxilery will begin in the new year.

Click to view larger picture

SPB

Re: SPB 2012 GLX

Postby Barney2803 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Nice work!:)
Barney2803

Postby srb on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Looking good mate. 8-)
Just be careful with your loading so far back on the tray, noticed the dual wheel carriers there :? And where's the water tank and battery going? Try and get all the heavy items installed at the front of the canopy. I would at least get one of those spare wheels on top of the canopy or inside. Its the weight over the back of the chassis like a pendulum effect that can cause chassis failure. Also a good trick is to see if you can slide your alloy tray closer to the cab to reduce the over hang at the back... I was able to gain nearly 100mm by doing this. ;) Oh and a well set up suspension is a must when carrying heavy loads.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your build. Love the white ones. :)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:06 pm

WooHoo brand new pie cart 8-) :lol: :lol: j/k looking good mate ;) nice one getting
it shipped up here for a better price. Ute's comming along nicely' It's way to clean we gotta
take it out and get it dirty one day if ya keen ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby SPB on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:02 pm

I have thought about the weight quite a bit. Considering my old MK had a dual swing away carrier as part of the towbar set up, I have worked out I actually have less weight as I dont have the whole bar. Also the fridge, batteries and water tank all will sitting across the axle along the front of the box.
SPB

Postby andyj on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Noice... :D :D
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby SPB on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 pm

I put on my new bash plates from Mitch. Gee the original ones are worse than the original ones on the old MK. I thought they were plastic for a minute! And just because I could I painted the plates white to match the truck. I know they wont stay that way for long but why not?

SPB

Postby SPB on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 pm

I have now installed my reversing cameras,UHF, Brake controller. I have bought a 32hb usb which is big as a thumb nail for some music. Now just to sort out the file layout for it. Also work has begun on the storage at the rear. I have also mounted my tablet with a dash mount. I use it for my maps. It is slightly off centre as SWMBO does the navigating(Yes we have plenty of barneys. She makes maps for a living and I use them for living).

View from 90 degree camera up high

View from 150 degree camera just above to tow ball
SPB

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Any chance of a couple more pics/details about the ipad mount?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby SPB on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Any chance of a couple more pics/details about the ipad mount?

No problem. This is the Evilbay site where I bought it from. My tablet is a no frills 10" screen which have another half inch surroond with a range of buttons across the top. This mount have 2 soft pads that clamp on top and bottom and it has a release switch on the side of it. It can be turned almost any direction and raised higher than my pictures. I keep it in the lowest position so it does block the windscreen.To mount on the dash there is a little plate with 3M tape and you place that on the dash, then place the suction cup over it and then flick a little lever to tighten the suction. Just to see how tough it is I have tried to get it off and havent been able to. so it shouldnt bounce off. If you really wanted it off Im sure it would come off. As I have used it offroad yet im not sure how much it will bounce around.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exogear-Exom ... 1e75ac24b2

High position

With Tablet

SPB

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks, very helpful. :D
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Glock40sw on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:56 am

G'day.
May I Ask, Which TJM bar did you get? I'm in the market for one and your looks great.
Any chance of more photos of it?

Thanks.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton
Regards, Trevor.
Grafton

Mmmm... Tupperware.... Love Tuperware...
Glock40sw

Postby Joe on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 am

I have one of those Exogear mounts in the Pajero for my iPad 2. Very happy with it :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby SPB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:17 am

Its the T13 Steel Winch Bar - 070SB13N50L . I will have the side bars on it on the 2nd Jan. I will have to find some photos.
SPB

Postby SPB on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:45 am

With this car I always wanted to keep a tab on the weight I am loading it up with. As the last thing I did to my MK was snap both rear springs at the same time. I must admit my ball weight that trailer was probably over 200kg with a ball weight on the car of 150kg.

So I put it over the weigh bridge and got 2.14 T.
This includes:
TJM bullbar
side steps
Alloy Canopy on factory alloy tray
Bash plate from Mitch
radio/brake controller/reverse cameras
2 kids carseats
1 kid (10kg)
1/2 tank fuel

This might get interesting as I will be putting in a 60l engel, 75L water tank, 2 x deep cycle batteries, 2 more spare wheels and 75l of AUX fuel,chairs tables etc. I tow a trailer with a ball weight of now 120kg. Most of which will be mounted next week.

myself and SWMBO 150kg

I wish I put it on the weigh bridge as soon as I got it. But I guess I can start from the factory weights should be fairly accurate.
SPB

Postby Sky Miner on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:35 am

Here's some interesting reading for ya Shane ;)

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9744&hilit=triton+weights
Sky Miner

Postby SPB on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks Skyminer,

I have put it over the weigh bridge again but I have misplaced the weights. Also the wheel carriers on my MW canopy have been troubling me especially the drivers side one. I tried putting a wheel in in and it doesnt fit! The holder hasnt been built correctly. It is 3cm shorter at the front than the rear. I contacted MW and they will only pay $33 to have it fixed! I challenged them to find someone in Darwin who would do it for less than $100. I called consumers affairs and quoted what they said to MW. They then called consumer affairs and quoted something back at me. I think for once I will cave in and get it fixed but will still take the $33. The guy doing my fuel tank mod will do it aswell so cost should be kept down.

Lesson is if you are buying from MW bewarned if you freight it from their office you are on your own for any faults. Mind you if it was going to cost more to repair I would still be fighting. But Im still overall happy with the box.

Anyhoo here is some pics

SPB

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Yeah the tyranny of distance eh !! If something goes wrong your pretty much on your own up here :roll:

That is a little bit rough :shock: Have you thought about just cutting the front corner and re-welding it

to square it up ??
Sky Miner

Postby SPB on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:50 pm

I have but I cant weld Alloy.....yet. CASWELD in Yarrawonga is fixing this and modifying my fuel tank so it wont cost to much with both jobs combined.
SPB

Postby SPB on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:09 pm

New boots today for car and camper trailer. BFG All Terrain all round. Whew 9 tyres dont come cheap!

And after a 2 month wait the side rails are finally on.

SPB

Postby SPB on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Finally got around to installing my batteries, fridge and water tank. Its 2 x 120 ah AGM which at the moment runs the 60L Engel, water pump(behind the fridge) for the 75L water tank. The round gauge is for the sender in the tank which isnt wired up yet. To monitor the batteries I have used a NASA BM 1 Compact. A bit pricey but tells me volts/amps in use or what is left. Also how much time I have left in the batteries which I thought was pretty cool. Now a bit of wiring tidy up. I am making my own cover to go over the batteries with a shelf on top. A bit of carpet or rubber to line the remainder of the floor, install the fishing rod holders and tidy up the wiring, job done ... for now.

The amp usage on the gauge shows only an Engel being used after just being turned on.

SPB

Postby SPB on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Well today I repainted my CT wheels satin black from white and I have plenty of paint left over. So I painted my 2nd spare for the car black aswell. Im thinking of painting all of them black now. What is the general opinion?

SPB

Postby Calblitzen on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm

SPB wrote:Finally got around to installing my batteries, fridge and water tank. Its 2 x 120 ah AGM which at the moment runs the 60L Engel, water pump(behind the fridge) for the 75L water tank. The round gauge is for the sender in the tank which isnt wired up yet. To monitor the batteries I have used a NASA BM 1 Compact. A bit pricey but tells me volts/amps in use or what is left. Also how much time I have left in the batteries which I thought was pretty cool. Now a bit of wiring tidy up. I am making my own cover to go over the batteries with a shelf on top. A bit of carpet or rubber to line the remainder of the floor, install the fishing rod holders and tidy up the wiring, job done ... for now.

The amp usage on the gauge shows only an Engel being used after just being turned on.

Great work on your truck. How much was the BM1 unit.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby t_j_g on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:46 pm

SPB wrote:Well today I repainted my CT wheels satin black from white and I have plenty of paint left over. So I painted my 2nd spare for the car black aswell. Im thinking of painting all of them black now. What is the general opinion?

Black. Definitely Black. Looks much better
t_j_g

Postby SPB on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 am

The BM 1 was about $200 from East Coast Marine off Evilbay. SWMBO thinks black aswell. So black it is.
SPB

Next

Return to Member Build Ups