SPB 2012 GLX

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: SPB 2012 GLX

Postby SPB on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Parked next to another Triton at work the other day. It looks like a little baby compared to mine! Its bog standard(excluding front bar and canopy). Too many mods? Nah

Click to view larger picture

SPB

Postby SPB on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:18 am

I got a PLB(Personal Locating Beacon) for Chrissy. Though carried in the backpack for bushwalks, in the car I thought the ideal place would be under the centre console lid. SWMBO stitched up a velcro strap which has been sikaflexed and screwed into place. I figured here would be the best place, if the car rolled over etc pretty much anyone that can move an arm can reach it.

Also whilst SWMBO had the sewing machine out she made up a pocket for our Flora books (Botany is a bit of a hobby) to sit in instead of bouncing around the back.

Then I got her to redo the covers on the Oztent/Oztrail chairs, a cover for the first aid kit, patch the tear in the roof top bag, make some more velco straps, alter our Tent awning whilst I drank beer!
SPB

Postby SPB on Sun May 10, 2015 4:37 pm

My cheapy tablet and mount after nearly 3 years has carked it. And the original stereo gave me the s$%ts when trying to scan for music. So I invested in a Samsung Galaxy tab 4 10.1, Enonon G2110Z and an Arkon flexi mount. Now I can use the stereo as a map screen whilst my navigator uses the Galaxy tab or I can have both of them facing me.

I also added some headrest mounts for the kiddies. They can only watch movies/games on the blacktop when we go camping. Once we hit dirt its either maps or turned off.

SPB

SPB 2012 GLX

Postby motoz on Sun May 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Nice build mate.

Doses the tablet mount bounce around much?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SPB on Sun May 10, 2015 7:32 pm

The front tablet mount has a very small wobble. But I bounced it around pretty hard last weekend and no problems. But I am thinking of a bracket from behind it to the UHF just for extra stability.
SPB

Postby SPB on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:40 pm

So last week whilst out bush, the track I was on had a lot of fallen logs on it. Prior to clearing all of them I bounce over one and on my rear camera I noticed one of my spare tyre flying through the air at around 8 feet high! Upon inspection the rod that held them snapped clean off.

So now I have replaced them with some stainless road and made them shorter. This meant turning the wheels around but I dont care.
The unsnapped rod. Where my thumb is and the rod is rusty looking is how long it stuck out. You can now see the new shorter ones.
Butterfly nuts and retaining pin.

Even the camera took a whack!
The finished job.

And whilst I was grubby I put a patch on a small leak I had in my second tank. Its not neat but currently its holding a fuel tank of fuel and no leaks. We will have to see how it goes on this weeks trip.
SPB

Postby SPB on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:12 pm

I have had to perform a few repairs of late. Sourcing parts from Mitsi Darwin is just horrendus. Costly and they cant get parts. So I managed to source them from overseas.

ABS sensor I broke another wire. Kowze.com had them for $20 each! So I ordered 12(3 for each wheel). Throw in freight it cost around $350. Mitsi charges $370 each.

Next I needed a handbrake cable and a bracket that connects the exhaust to the engine near the rear seal.

So Amanaya had the bracket for $10 ($30 from Mitsi and they couldnt source them) and handbrake cable for $40 (Mitsi $150). Throw in freight again it came under the cost of the handbrake cable locally.

In the photo you can see the old and new bracket.
SPB

Postby SPB on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:00 pm

My tucker box gets quite warm inside the aluminium canopy. So much that the Peanut butter turns to pure oil and Nutella is just a chocolate drink. I measured the temperature with the box closed and the canopy closed. And the temp over several days was 50 degrees.

I have insulated a similar aluminium tool box that houses my engel on the camper trailer and it greatly reduces the inside box temp. So after using 10mm foam and expanding foam in the box lid it has reduced the temp to within a degree of the outside air temp. Now in Darwin at the moment is around 35 plus. So pretty happy. So far the peanut butter and Nutella havent turned to oil/liquid.

Also I added shelf to hold my maxtrax.

SPB

Postby SPB on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Installed the twin fuel tank bash plates. I had to do some trimming on the second one but fits well.

And before anyone says it the marks on the tailshaft are not from the plates!
SPB

Postby snakesoup on Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:22 pm

hi there mate, just wondering what size your kenda tyres are.....??
snakesoup

Postby als1200 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Fantastic write up.
Some great ideas out of your posts.
have you been doing all of the electrical work yourself?
The truck looks great too!
Well done.
als1200

Postby SPB on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Tyres are 245/75/16.

I have done the electrical myself. Exlcuding the bullbar, fuel tank mounts, I have installed everything myself.
SPB

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups