Krazed's Mn Build Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Krazed's Mn Build Up

Postby krazed on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:16 pm

So i been on the forums for ages now and am slowly getting through the mods with a bit still to do . Most of you guys have done all this already but i thought it would be good to document my build in one place anyway .

We were originally looking at an "active" model in feb'ish 2011 and just as we were getting ready to make the deal i was looking on carsales and seen her . 1.5 grand more and it was a glx-r . Test drove and signed up the next afternoon . Needless to say the missus and i were stoked ! :D . Finally we have a 4wd ! Say hello to all the fun weekend adventures to come 8-) .

When we arrived at the dealership to test drive it happened to be the "Display" model on the showroom floor . After half an hour they finally got it out and this is what it looked like
Click to view larger picture .

Around to the inlaws to show them ,

Click to view larger picture

From memory got it on the wednesday and on the saturday we were straight to glasshouse with the inlaws in their paj . got it all nice and muddy only 3 days old :lol:

tub liner and soft tonneau were the first to be installed . Chose the soft tonneau as to not be restricted in height as with the hard cover . If i had my time again would probably just go straight with a canopy .
then was the bash plates thanks to mitch . "triton" inscribed

Next was the snokel / K&N filter install. Only a few months old my wife couldn't bare to watch as i laid waste to the front guard of the triton :twisted:
Before
Middle
After
Click to view larger picture.

After the install next to come was some comms . Uhf went in "uniden 7700nb". Decided to mount on the aerial on the passengers side left front as i wasn't sure what i wanted to do with the nudge bar yet .

After that we decided on a play set of tyres instead of running muddies full time . Couragias on nm pajero rims it was . Hoping to change the rims at some point ;)

Next was the slider/steel sidesteps . After seeing what snappy had goin on in the tech section i decided i was going to have a chop at making my own . Had some good welding skills back in the day although it had been 10 years since i played with one . After a day of getting my confidence up with welding it was time to start the manufacturing . Here is the final product 8-)

A bit after that we hit up glasshouse again and more keen to "push" abit harder . I finally found out why people call the oem towbar the boat anchor :evil: . Damn thing scraped everywhere and even managed to get me hung up in a mud hole :evil: :evil: . Took us half an hour to get out of that hole and in that time we sank about 100mm "alot of digging" and a quick snatch later we were out .

Decided at that point it was time to get the towbar off and get a rear bar for better departure angles etc .
Tjm's bar was a winner for me . At 595$ i simply couldn't pass it up .

Click to view larger picture.

to accompany the rear bar for departure angles aswell as general Non scraping while 4x4 and a better ride in goes the ironman lift.

the list of things to come is endless :lol:

something like this it will go
dual battery
better aerial
mounted air compressor
bullbar/winch
canopy
front locker
rear locker
cheers
Last edited by krazed on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krazed

Re: Krazed's Mn Build Up

Postby JamoGLXR on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Very nice. i remember i joined this site with 1 mod in mind. 2 years later i still havent got that tray but i got a whole better ute.

enjoy browsing and the banter
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby Bogor on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:11 am

Looks good mate. About time you put up a build thread :P
Looking forward to getting out on the tracks with you in the new year.
Bogor

Postby trumpy955 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:00 am

Mate , you have done well especially with the initial buy. Once the mod bug bites you can't stop. Can't wait for the next update with your ute :)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:27 am

Looking good mate 8-)
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Looks good mate. Wish that tjm bar was still available for the ML.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby krazed on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Dual battery install penciled in for Sunday with Dave ( bogor ) also doing his . Welded up my battery tray today complete with stone deflector . Will spend some time tomorrow arvo cleaning it up and priming it . photos to come soon :D
krazed

Postby Bogor on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Don't forget to weld mine up ;)
Will see you Sunday.
Bogor

Postby krazed on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Bogor wrote:Don't forget to weld mine up ;)
Will see you Sunday.

Ill get yours started tmr hopefully finished thursday ;)
krazed

Postby krazed on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:10 pm

So its been awhile since i've updated and a few things have happened over the last few months .

First was the dual battery .Chose the abr sidewinder setup with battery monitor. Had this unit in now for a few months and it runs great . It's made camping easy running all the lights showers chargers etc off it. Chose to mount it on the top of the tjm rear bar up in under the tray . Had to weld up a cradle and put some bolts through the rear bar but i am happy with how it all turned out and its been easy to run sockets to the tub as its nice and close being mounted back there .
stone deflector for the battery

A while after that it was time to start saving for the bar and winch . Seen on the forum a member found the oaq bar for 450$ . After a couple of weeks of deciding we got it . Good choice in the end looks great and is well made . Once we had the bar it was abit of a fast track and got the tigerz 11 12000pd grande mk2 winch . Tee'd up a dual install weekend with bogor but before that i wanted to get some constant load springs on the front and also got some 16x7 0 offset csa rangers to really widen the stance up . The nm pajero rims are finally gone :D

new rims and springs in

Bar and winch install day turned in to bar and install weekend ;)
with both cars marked out it was me to be the first to cut it up

one and a half days later

lastly added a tigerz 2x2.5 awning and this is how it sits atm

next thing to do will be a mounted compressor and tank under the tub . Might have a rest for a little while though as all i seem to be doing every day is tinkering with the car :lol:
krazed

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Looks good mate. If I were you I'd trim those front flares up a bit higher than you've got them at the moment. The first time your bar flexes it will pop them both off their clips how it is now. Been there done that. Both of Geek's were popped off too the last time he came around here so it's not an uncommon problem.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Dunga71 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Dave is spot on there I have a fair gap in mine now ;)
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby macca002 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:58 pm

krazed wrote:So its been awhile since i've updated and a few things have happened over the last few months .

First was the dual battery .Chose the abr sidewinder setup with battery monitor. Had this unit in now for a few months and it runs great . It's made camping easy running all the lights showers chargers etc off it. Chose to mount it on the top of the tjm rear bar up in under the tray . Had to weld up a cradle and put some bolts through the rear bar but i am happy with how it all turned out and its been easy to run sockets to the tub as its nice and close being mounted back there .

You able to post more info on this mod? I cant tell from the pics, but it looks like the battery is a N70Z size? If so, is it mounted standing up or on its side?

If you could post more pics of the mounting system you fabbed up, that would be awesome!
macca002

Postby Padres Triton on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Great build, looks awesome. As you can see from my profile pic I am at the start of that journey. I get a big chunk of my build done in a couple of week. See my members build page.
Padres Triton
In life and on the Tracks apply the Joshua 1:9 principle (Go Hard).
Padres Triton

Postby krazed on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Looks good mate. If I were you I'd trim those front flares up a bit higher than you've got them at the moment. The first time your bar flexes it will pop them both off their clips how it is now. Been there done that. Both of Geek's were popped off too the last time he came around here so it's not an uncommon problem.

thanks for the advice Dave . whats the recommended distance ?? 20mm or there abouts ? I'd like to keep the gap to a minimum as i reckon it looks neater but don't want anything happening by not having enough of gap if you know what i mean.

Cheers
krazed

Postby krazed on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 pm

macca002 wrote:
krazed wrote:So its been awhile since i've updated and a few things have happened over the last few months .

You able to post more info on this mod? I cant tell from the pics, but it looks like the battery is a N70Z size? If so, is it mounted standing up or on its side?

If you could post more pics of the mounting system you fabbed up, that would be awesome!

will do later tonight or tomorrow ;)
krazed

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:02 pm

krazed wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Looks good mate. If I were you I'd trim those front flares up a bit higher than you've got them at the moment. The first time your bar flexes it will pop them both off their clips how it is now. Been there done that. Both of Geek's were popped off too the last time he came around here so it's not an uncommon problem.

thanks for the advice Dave . whats the recommended distance ?? 20mm or there abouts ? I'd like to keep the gap to a minimum as i reckon it looks neater but don't want anything happening by not having enough of gap if you know what i mean.

Cheers

Not sure mate. Mine are about 20mm I suppose but that's more by accident than design as I ended up hacksawing mine after a bad day on the tracks... :oops: :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 pm

i reckon 20mm should be about right. the damn thing can pop off the front clips and if you don't notice and are driving at speed........whoosh off it will come. just ask Geek. :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 am

I added a bit of extra security when I had the xrox fitted and put a bit of slaz behind the front part of the flare to help hold it on.

You wouldn't even know it was there unless you went to pull the flare off ;)
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:41 am

Slaz?

Cowboy Dave

Postby macca002 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:55 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Slaz?

Silastic/Silicone ;)
macca002

Postby hcr83 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 am

Gday Krazed

just wondering what size tyres you are running on your machine??
It is what it is...
hcr83

Postby DoubleD on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:36 am

Very nicely set up mate, a good read!!

Love the side steps you made up yourself!
DoubleD

Postby DoubleD on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Very nicely set up mate, a good read!!

Love the side steps you made up yourself!
DoubleD

Postby Duck on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Very nice looking Ute mate 8-) Good job on the side steps, how much did the material cost for them ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Next

Return to Member Build Ups