2012 MN Triton GLX-R Mods

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

2012 MN Triton GLX-R Mods

Postby bazzashadow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Hey all. Just joined this site after getting a new Triton GLX-R in Charcoal. I got the tow bar package, tub liner, canopy and electronic rust protection added. Pics of her the day I picked it up. Already a list of mods I'm planning. Getting ARB bullbar and Safari snorkel installed on Monday. Will update with pics as I tick them off.

Click to view larger picture

Does anyone have any suggestions for good tyres?

Got some mods done. ARB bullbar colour coded. Safari snorkel. Lightforce XGT driving lights. Uniden UHF remote mount.

Some pics of her first outing! Did well including this 2 car pull!

Light coating of mud.

Toolbox mounted in the tub for gear.

Finally made a decision on some tyres. Went with the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib in 265/70R17. They fill out the arches quite nicely!

Took her to Bribie Island. With pressures at 18 psi, didn't have any dramas with any of the sand driving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Decided to install a blanking plate. Removed the gasket and used this as a template to cut out a plate from some sheet metal. Not too much of a difference. The turbo now spools a bit lower and there is a bit more power low down. Still I would prefer clean air going into the engine than exhaust.

Finally got around to the dual battery install. I decided to use the stock battery as my aux and get a new starter battery. Pirahna make a battery tray for the MN that takes a 12in and 10in battery (although they recon it will only fit a 12in and a 8in). A 12 and 10in will fit. It is nice and cosy but it all fits. I purchased a Century Ultra Hi Performance NS70LX as my starter battery. I moved the original battery to the rear of the tray as the aux. A Redarc isolator was used for the voltage sensitive relay. Here are some pics.

This is the engine bay prior with the stock battery.

Old battery removed.

Pirahna battery tray installed. Had to drill 2 new holes. Other than that it went in pretty easily.

Redarc isolator. This was pretty much the only place I could find to mount it. Actually turned out to be quite a good place.

Completed project. All working and charging correctly. Voltage in is at 13.2V and out at 12.65V. I ran a cable (4 B&S) to the rear of the tub and connected a Narva twin power outlet. Voltage loss is about 0.002V. With engine idling, voltage at battery is 14.22V and voltage at outlet is 14.22V.

Still installing a power meter to monitor battery level etc. Will update with pics once that is done.
Last edited by bazzashadow on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 12 times in total.
bazzashadow

Re: 2012 MN Triton GLX-R Mods

Postby homer56 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 pm

chargoal is the better looking colour ...
homer56

Postby Duck on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Good for you, great looking truck :lol: I like the coopers & Mickey T tyres, but as long as the rubber touches the ground. Look forward to the new pictures. Welcome to the site :D
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby bazzashadow on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Just ordered a 2in lift suspension kit from Ultimate. Can't wait for it to get here. Also ordered an Avenger Mako TDS 9.5 winch with steel wire. Will be installing these in the next few weeks in preparation for my Cape York trip. Will post pics of the installs.
bazzashadow

Postby Outnabout on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 am

Mate this is looking smhmick, How do you find the redarc products? Pretty good?

Looking forward to seeing these pics :twisted:
Outnabout

Postby Bds2710 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:06 am

Like the duals will look into running that set up myself
Bds2710

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 am

Bribies got nothing on double island mate. I bought ny bribie year pass, wish i just bought the DI one :(
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby trevbmore on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:47 am

bazzashadow wrote:Just ordered a 2in lift suspension kit from Ultimate. Can't wait for it to get here. Also ordered an Avenger Mako TDS 9.5 winch with steel wire. Will be installing these in the next few weeks in preparation for my Cape York trip. Will post pics of the installs.

Great looking truck mate and some awesome mods, you obviously also have a Great Wife or Partner ;)
trevbmore

Postby bazzashadow on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Outnabout wrote:Mate this is looking smhmick, How do you find the redarc products? Pretty good?

Looking forward to seeing these pics :twisted:

I am happy with it so far but I guess time will tell. Looks and feels quite robust.
bazzashadow

Postby mark muellegger on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi bazza, interested in the ATZ 4 for my triton. How do you find them on the road, noisy?
mark muellegger

Postby bazzashadow on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 pm

mark muellegger wrote:Hi bazza, interested in the ATZ 4 for my triton. How do you find them on the road, noisy?

I rate them. Obviously noisier than than the HT's but I don't even notice it. Travelling at 100 with windows down or up is fine. So far they have behaved well off road and as I have only had them for a few thousand km's I can't comment on wear yet. A good compromise if you want an aggressive AT but don't want a MT.
bazzashadow

Postby stackator on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:56 am

Looks great mate
stackator

Postby stackator on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:57 am

Looks great mate
stackator

Postby bazzashadow on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Ok so installed the winch on sat. I got a Mako Avenger 9500 TDS. Thought I might be able to squeeze the winch in from underneath but when I measured it, no go. This meant that I had to take the bullbar off. Wasn't bargaining on having to do this but it had to be done. As a result the whole process took a lot longer than planned. However overall it went pretty smoothly. Lucky I had access to an overhead crane. This made holding the bullbar a lot easier! I did have to drill two new holes in the fair lead rollers and get longer bolts so I could put a washer and split washer on as well.
Here are some pics.
New winch about to go in.
Bullbar off and moved forward to give me room to get the winch in.
Bullbar with the winch in. Routing all the cables and stuff.
Finished product!
bazzashadow

Postby bazzashadow on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Ok so the last few mods prior to the Cape Trip next wk have happened. I think these will be the last for awhile as well.

I ordered an LED light kit off Ebay which consisted on two LED light strips and a remote. Kit cost $40 including postage and the reason I got it is I wanted to be able to have some sort of camp lights. And for $40 I thought that whatever light it produced would be good enough. Also the remote lets me turn the lights off from inside my swag :D. Kit arrived pretty quickly and it was go time.

LED light kit components.

As you can see, you have to wire it up yourself depending on where you want to install it. I wanted to install it on the inside of the canopy rear top door. It took about 45 mins to solder it all together and heat shrink all the connections. Each of the LED strips is backed by 3M adhesive so sticking it up was pretty easy. A few zip ties and double sided 3M tape ad it was all done.

The remote can control the brightness in three degree, 25%, 50% and 100%. Low light looks good for background ambient light when you are tired of sitting in the dark ;) and full when stuff needs to be done! Also LED draw low amps so the drain on the battery will be minimal.

This is the complete install with brightness at 100%.

Actually throws out quite a bit of light but I guess the real test will be in the next few wks...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second install was the suspension. My 2 in lift from Ultimate suspension finally arrived after a few dramas with the shipping company. All good in the end. Many thanks to subi_man for his informative DIY suspension swap thread as this proven to be a godsend and was pretty much all I followed. Having never tinkered with suspension before I was slightly nervous but cracked on anyway. Thankfully I had access to a workshop so tools where not an issue. I put the front up on stands, did that and then swapped to the rear.

Before view.

Ultimate front pre-assembled struts.

New versus the old.

Old front suspension.

New front suspension.

Rear minus all its suspension waiting the new leave springs.

8 hrs later after minor swearing the final product!

Very happy with the outcome. Impressed with the quality of the Ultimate parts. Also does feel a lot better to drive. I am getting a wheel alignment done on Mon to ensure all is good there. Do have to say that Brendan at Ultimate did a fantastic job. I needed it quickly and he made sure that it was made up and shipped off asap. Shipping company didn't quite do as well! But the real test will be Cape York...
Last edited by bazzashadow on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bazzashadow

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 am

Looking good mate! Just had the suspension done as well and just back from my first weekend trip with it. Huge improvement. Corrugated roads feel smooth as now!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bazzashadow on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:12 am

Ok got back from my Cape York trip the other day and am pleased to say that the suspension was amazing. That extra clearance and improved ride was comforting on those corrugations. The LED lights in the canopy worked a treat. It was an amazing trip and am so glad that I was able to do it. Definitely a must for all 4wd enthusiasts.
bazzashadow

Postby bazzashadow on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Bought an ARB CKMA12 High Output On Board air compressor. After tossing up several mounting options I decided to mount it under the front passenger seat. This way it is out of the way yet will stay clean and dry. Took the seat out and drilled the four holes through the floor. Siliconed it all up on the underside to ensure it remained waterproof. Fitted the isolator switch next to the rear window switch in the centre console area. Routed power cable through firewall and connected to aux battery. Very happy with the results and this will definitely help in the airing up process. Here are a few pics of the install.

The compressor bolted to the floor.

Another angle.

The front seat reinstalled and the view from the side. Very easy to attach the air hose.

Front view.
bazzashadow

Postby Mr Moe on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:32 pm

looking good.

Mines going in for the lift this month, still deciding on Tyre's though and if i drop to a 16" or stick with 17" inch rim... leaning towards probably dropping to 16's to get a bigger side wall and foot print on the sand when deflated at this stage.

Quick question for you in regards to your air compressor install though.... have you had much of a chance to run it from the location you've installed it?

I've dealt with the portable compressors before, and noticed they are really hot to the touch even after one to two inflates... just curious if you slipped in any heat proof type of cloth under the compressor so you don't melt the carpet under the seat?

But then again, the portable ones i've used have been the cheap and nasty types...

Cheers.
Mr Moe

Postby bazzashadow on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:45 pm

I was up at Stockton beach before Xmas and gave the air compressor a good work out. The mounting plate of the ARB compressor is very good so no heat gets transferred through this. There is enough room above the compressor to not effect the seat. If you are concerned about heat issues turn aircon on and switch is to feet cooling. This will ensure lots of cool air flows over the compressor. But I haven't had any issue to date.
bazzashadow

Postby Sabre on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Baz,

What type of canopy is yours?
Sabre

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Sabre wrote:Baz,

It says in his shed that it's a 'sports' canopy which I suspect means it comes from these people:

http://www.sportsrange.com.au/4x4-accessories/canopies.php

It certainly looks like one in the pictures. There are a couple of old posts on the forum which suggest that sportsrange were selling these but they were made by MCC - not too sure on that one myself.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby bazzashadow on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Sabre wrote:Baz,

It is factory fitted from Mitsubishi. Sports is just the type not the manufacturer.
bazzashadow

Postby bazzashadow on Sun May 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Finally got around to doing two things that I have been meaning to for quite awhile now. Bought a OBDII reader off Ebay for about $30 that connect to the OBDII port under the steering wheel. Using DashCommand on my Iphone, I can see some cool stuff about performance and clear codes etc.

OBD-II reader.

ARB had a garage sale on. Was hoping to get an awning but missed them all by about 5 mins. Did however get my hands on a turbo timer for $70. They only had one for a MK. I wasn't sure if this would work on a MN or if the connectors would be the same but figured if it was different I would just hard wire it in. Getting to the connector on the back of the ignition switch was the hardest part. I was please to see that the connector was the right one. It was a simple disconnect, plug in the timer and secure everything. Timer works perfectly and the remote central locking works fine.

Turbo timer installed.
bazzashadow

Postby bazzashadow on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:00 pm

When I was in Tassie, my mate had an ARB awning on his Patrol. After seeing it in action, I immediately put this on the list of wants.

I managed to pick up an awning off eBay that has only been used a few times a lot cheaper than new. Then the issue of how I was going to mount it.....

I decided on Rhino Vortex roof racks as Rhino have the largest range of accessories and I would be able other things later, like maybe a roof rack.

Fitting of the racks was included in the price. Once I got home, I fitted the awning. Below are some pics of it all fitted. Very happy with the end result.

bazzashadow

Next

Return to Member Build Ups