Si's Tri

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Si's Tri

Postby siwren on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi All,

As you're all aware, once you've got the mod bug (whether cars, bikes or trucks) its a never ending cycle of spending. Having modded new and classic cars, I've gone back to a fourby after a lengthy break.

So I present to you my white GLXR. Which looks a lot like Dunga's triton.... but I have plans to make sure that it will look different in the end.

Anyway, on with the specs and pics!

Blank Canvas:

2012 GLXR DiD Auto

Click to view larger picture

Round 1: Completed

ARB Deluxe Bar (Colour matched)
ARB Rear Bar (Left Black)
ARB Smooth Canopy - Lift up windows all round (Colour Matched)
ARB Front Locker
ARB Rear Locker
ARB Compressor (Under Passenger Seat)
ARB Reverse Camera - Life saver... well tub saver
Safari Snokel
Long Ranger Tank
GME 3345 Uhf
Rhino Rack Pioneer Rack
Front Tints
Continental CrossContact AT 265/65/R17 (Legal sized upgrade and temporary til I get a Eng Cert)

Round 2: Next Few Months

Ultimate Suspension + Rear Sway Bar
Sprint Booster or similar
Under body Protection (Most Likely ARB)
Side Sliders / Steps - Probably AVA
Some kind of affordable winch (hope to have it in the bar before suspension lift to ensure right ride height)

Round 3: End of Year

ChipIT + Dawes Potentially
Rear Draw Setup
Rear Tank Setup
Dual Battery Setup (under bonnet)
Replacement Head Unit (Probably DigOptions)

Round 4:

Bigger Tyres
Engineer Certificate for Tyres.
Driving lights + Work Lights, etc
Rhino Rack attachments
Lots of other things to make life more fun (

The Goal:

Fraser at the end of the year

Cape Trip mid next year and potentially extending the trip across to Kakadu, then down to Alice Springs, across the Simpson and then home

Updates as they come!

Cheers,

Si
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Re: Si's Tri

Postby viking shippy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Hey mate nice rig
What brand is your canopy rack
Looks better than the arb trade racks what size is it
Cheers graham
viking shippy

Postby siwren on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Its a Pioneer platform from Rhino Rack:

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCateg ... ms_68.aspx

Cant remember exactly the size but I asked that it not be wider or longer than the canopy. 1500 x something i think.

There are a number of accessories that go with the rack that made my mind up, plus the fact that its flat, makes no noise at 110 that I can hear and as its alloy, its light.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby furious on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Go White
Nice truck.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Nice rig. IMO if you are going to trek all the way up to the NT, cut your time down in Kakadu and instead head off to Gregories (Gregory NP). Eleventy billion times better than Kakadu.
macca002

Postby Duck on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:12 pm

^^^ must agree with above Kakadu was a bit of a dissapointment for myself & family compared to the other local attractions, but still need to do it once I suppose. Very nice looking truck 8-) I love it when people do the lump mod upgrade all at once :) Almost unrecognisable from off the show room floor. Very nice :mrgreen:
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby siwren on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for the info re NT, will investigate it more.

Doing the bulk of the mods in one hit made sense due to finance and tax. Was able to claim back the gst and deduct it from tax over the next 3 years. The next mods wont provide the same benefits but will be more for love of doing it rather than fiscal reasons.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby Quinny on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:40 pm

That's coming along very nicely mate ;)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby useless offroader on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice looking ute, bullbar looks a treat
useless offroader

Postby siwren on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks guys.

Spent more hours trawling posts and the list is growing... will order a Provent tomorrow.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby fridgie on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Looking good mate 8-)

It's a great feeling when you see how much they change ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby macca002 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:13 am

If you do go to Kakadu - then drive in via the Pine Creek route and visit Koolpin. After spending a day or two there, drive back and up along the Old Jim Jim track. However instead of cutting all the way across, detour off north past 'Red Lilly' and 'Bucket' Billabongs. Those 2 billabongs are the most majestic and the drive is the most fun.

Driving up off Old Jim Jim is also much easier to navigate than the other direction, as heading south from Bucket means you run the risk of ending up on one of the meandering tracks instead of the 'official 4x4 track'.
macca002

Postby trumpy955 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Good looking rig mate. Love that you could smash the mods in real fast and gotta say, great colour scheme 8-)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby siwren on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Where are the pics or your rig Trumpy?

The truck had its first service today and they fixed up a lot of the little niggles. And they put the latest firmware on there...

Night and Day the difference. Much more urgent off the line, more progressive through the revs, holds onto the gears a little longer as well as shifts down quicker. The two step power band where boost kicks in about 2000 rpm is far more aggressive. Overall, so much better. Like a different truck really as it was starting to bug me, much more satisfied now.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby Dunga71 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Looking good mate,you will love the new suspension,go the white Tri's 8-)
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby srb on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:40 am

Nice truck Si. And you've got some great mods coming too 8-)

I'll be up the Cape at that time of year too, so look me up. ;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trumpy955 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:18 am

siwren wrote:Where are the pics or your rig Trumpy?

hey mate, I have a build thread in there somewhere. Probably needs an update tho. I'm slack like that !
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby dazza_241 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:16 pm

you cant beat them in white! looks fat i reckon!! :)
must recomend upgrading those brakes though....i did mine recently and it stops on a dime!
dazza_241

Postby siwren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Upgrading the brakes may take place, will see how it goes once all the other stuff starts getting added and the weight stacks up. Will probably just do the lines to start with, maybe with the suspension lift.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby alpine triton on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Nice bus, go the white triton :D
Adam
alpine triton

Postby siwren on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks mate, same to you. I wish all the money that i need to finish it would hurry up and get in my wallet.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby mad992 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:08 pm

arrrrrrhhhhhh we are getting swamped in appliance white tritons :lol: looks like a fridge with wheels ;) narr just jokes a dishwasher with a bullbar :oops: or maybe a washing machine with a turbo,ok i will shut up now :!:
truck looks great well done mate love the canopy rack :D and im jealous your goin on a trip.
mad992

Postby siwren on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:32 pm

So its been a while since the last round of updates and something things have been happening, but ultimately the big stuff (suspension, etc) has been waiting for me to load the truck up with all the gear prior to getting it measured up for weight. Anyway:

Provent Installation.

Having looked at all the pictures there were a number of installs I liked the look of, some other that I wasnt too sure about, but I ended up with something I'm happy with.
I originally purchased the Provent Kit with all the hoses, clamps and adapters, but having now used these bits in the kit I wouldn't recommend it.

I drilled one hole into the airbox for the left hand side of the Provent mount, and used large washers included a piece of rubber to seal it. I dont think this will damage the airbox in anyway and has been on there for 12000km so far. I used a piece of aluminium that I bent at the right location and bolted it to the corner of the airbox and right hand side of the provent. Seems very strong and doesnt touch/rub against anything.

And you can open the airbox to change the air filter easy enough.

Original Installation:

This used all the clips and some L bend that I picked up from somewhere. I found that using the threaded adapters just ended up leaking oil vapour and was just crappy

Round 2:

Used the 1 inch and 3/4 hoses from the kit
1 3/4 inch to 3/4 inch 90 degree hose adapter (Pirtek)
1 1 inch to 3/4 inch 90 degree hose adapter (Pirtek)
1 custom made 1 inch to 3/4 inch adapter (pirtek)
relevant hose clamps
and the original EGR hose.

End Result:

I had investigated using silicone hoses as this would have been easier, but reading elsewhere that the fuel/oil vapour can lead it to either dissolve or having it start flaking on the inside. This may not really be the case but I'm not taking the chance of stuff going into the engine where possible.

So happy with the result
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby siwren on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Rear Drawers

I had originally thought about getting Drift draws, but I had a idea to incorporate a water tank and some other stuff that made using the Drifta setup expensive, so I engaged my carpenter brother and ended up getting everything done for less than half the Drifta cost, including all the water tanks components.

We used 18mm marine ply and after researching around, I found out what the "teflon strips" were that Drifta used and got my own for a very cheap price. When used with silicon spray the draws slide like ice even with a lot of weight in them, plus pretty much maintenance free. When dusty, just wipe down and respray. Pretty cool and about a tenth of the cost of the metal rails on ebay.

I wanted the entire tub section flat with pockets on the side and the water tank and pump out of sight. I also didnt want to have different sized draws so put the tank at the front of the tub which helps with the weight balance too. I also ran the necessary 12V wiring to the tub using 6B&S twin core twin sheath cabling in flexible conduit.

The pics:

Water tank, pump and fittings. This pump ended up being way to powerful, you could put fires out with this.

You can see where I put the tank here

This shows the 12V outlet, the Water inlet and breather. I soon found out the breather was too low and water exited it going around corners :(

End result

Showing the "teflon" strips I used top and bottom, push flush tiedowns.

shows the relocated air breather. The power cables in the right hand corner are for my Quinny Inspired battery box that I can put in line with the power to the tub or easily remove.

In short, really happy with the outcome. My brother did an awesome job and I reckon its equal to a shop bought one for a first attempt. Should you want the same let me know, I'm sure he'll be able to do it cheaper than store bought stuff and set it up anyway you like.
Last edited by siwren on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby siwren on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:50 pm

When at Fraser of Christmas, I discovered the limitations of the standard suspension very quickly. In fact it really is just s**t.
The end result was me beating the crap out of the bash plate and was very lucky to not bust the radiator. Its sporting a bend it now due to a very steep hole and jump up that resulted in the tub hitting the back of the cab and the stoved in bash plates.

End result:

Looked around and settled on the ARB UVP as it has all the plates needed to cover all the way down to the transmission and includes the transfer case plate as well. At trade rates it was cheaper than going with anyone else.

Simon

My Shed
siwren

Next

Return to Member Build Ups