My MN Triton......another white GLX

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: My MN Triton......another white GLX

Postby alian on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Yes the diff breather set up is what I am about to do
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ludey9 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Amaroo is it possibly you can re upload this pics? I can't open or see them unfortunately
Ludey9

Postby hcr83 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:25 am

Hey Amaroo - have you removed all your pictures??

trying to see the body lift photos.
It is what it is...
hcr83

Postby hcr83 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:27 am

Sorry not body lift - Breathers
It is what it is...
hcr83

Postby ToeKutter on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:32 pm

yeah alot of the pictures from your posts have gone.
ToeKutter

Postby jahendo72 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:57 am

Amaroo wrote:Backtracking a little here......... the first trip I did in the Triton was up into the NSW High Country and having planned the trip a couple of months earlier and only picking up the Triton a week before the trip I was unsure if I should take the Hilux before I sold it or take the new rig.

Easy decision, take the new rig. As mentioned earlier I knocked over the first 1000km in about a week then dropped it in for the first check up service the day before we left. I just noted with my brother and dad who I was taking in my Triton that we'd just have to see how we go and may not get everywhere we had planned to in the Triton as it was bog stock (there were a few river crossings which were the main concern).

I might note here too that in the first couple of days of picking up my Triton I had an oil leak from the rear diff filler plug. I've noticed a few other people on here have had the same issue too. I didn't bother taking it in to Mitsubishi, I just fitted a new crush washer and problem solved :) I mentioned it at the 1000km service and they apologised.

Back to the story.... we hit up the Geehi Valley on this trip and crossed the Murray into Vic and did some fishing and camping. Now my concern was that I had no breather extensions fitted and no snorkel so we checked all the water crossings carefully before doing them. The rear diff well and truly was going under on a few of the crossings but I was confident that if I let it cool down before dunking it that it would not draw water in. The factory breather cap allows pressure to escape but then retains a vaccuum in the diff housing. Hence the small "hisssss" sounds when you crack the filler plug. My theory proved correct as the oil was perfect on the post trip check. The rivers were pretty low so nothing else was a concern.

A few pics from the Geehi and Tom Groggin area.......Triton crossing the Murray

Click to view larger picture

Camping in the Geehi Valley......my crappy photos don't do this place justice, really amazing place to camp.

Fishing and rivers go hand in hand so I end up driving through a few.........breather installation time.

The old Toyota was dead easy for breather installation as all the pick up points were threaded so you just had to remove the old breather and fit your new connection. Not so straight forward on the Triton.......or so I thought.

I read all the remote breather threads and noted the methods people had used to to tackle the rear diff and transfer and gear box. Some good ideas and some confusing ones for the gear box and transfer case too :?:

Lets start with the rear diff breather.

I unplugged the stock breather cap set up and dismantled it.......

Starting on the left is the plastic dust cap that is visible if you stick your head under the back of your car, then under that is the metal cap which contains a spring and rubber disc. The spring holds the rubber disc against the nipple of the plastic plug to the right of it. This is how the diff is able to breath out and then retain a vaccuum inside. The next part is the main body of the unit and to the left of that the rubber washer that seals it to the diff housing.

I liked the idea of tig welding a new fitting over the hole left in the diff but it was all too much work so I was set on the idea of cutting the nipple part of the body off the plug and then tapping a 1/8NPT thread into the body to which a fitting could be installed. But after some measurements were taken I was no longer keen on that idea.

If the nipple is cut off the body I was only left with ~3mm of plastic in which to cut a tapered thread. Not good enough I thought.......back to the drawing board.

A couple more careful measurements and problem solved :D

The ID of the nipple on the plastic body is 5.9mm. The OD of the line I am using is 6.0mm. The line would start to go through but would then get too tight to push all the way through. A dab of lubricant and it slid through, still requiring a bit of force. Now I was pretty confident that given how much force was required to push the hose through that it wouldn't go anywhere on its own but to be extra sure I created a flare in the inside end so that it is impossible for it to pull out....

Hose fits in with a nice seal...

Flare the inside end with a plastic barb...

Snip off the excess barb...

Pull the hose into its final position....

Refit to the diff with new sealant (factory installation uses sealant too).....

Run the line from the diff to the front of the car....

This all worked brilliantly and could be all reverted back to OEM spec if needed as no parts were altered to complete the installation.

This is the line I used.....

I hope I explained that clearly enough and my apologies for the crappy phone camera pics.

Hey mate what sealant did you use for bung is it a Loctite product
thanks
jahendo72

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:12 am

Pretty sure Amaroo hasn't been around for a while mate.

I'd guess he was using this though:
http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8802645311489
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:19 am

Actually he was here night before last.

Long time between visits, but welcome back.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Amaroo on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:35 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Actually he was here night before last.

Long time between visits, but welcome back.

Cheers Chris, I get on here from time to time for a read.

The forum is a wealth of knowledge for Triton owners and it's good to have a read of what people are up to with their vehicles.

Dave is right, it was either a Permatex or Loc-tite sealant.

I drained the oil a month or two ago from the rear diff when I installed an LSD and the oil wasn't contaminated or discolored at all so the breather has done a good job of keeping the water out the past couple of years.
Amaroo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:00 pm

This mod is still on my stupidly long to do list... :oops: :oops: I think I even bought the sealant but it's probably so long ago that it's gone off by now. :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Dyksy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi All,

Going back to breather installs. I did mine today but a little differently to Amaroo's set up. I connected my hose for the transfer case and gear box to the solid breather with the steel cap rather than the solid tube. Will this setup do the same thing or do I need to go back and change it?

Cheers

Glenn
Dyksy

Postby bjm74 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:39 am

Amaroo wrote:Flare the inside end with a plastic barb...

Snip off the excess barb...

Great write up Amaroo! Question re the plastic barb - where did you source this from?
bjm74

Postby Amaroo on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Bunnings garden section mate.

The breather setup has been faultless, it's been about 4 years since it went in and its had plenty of submersions.
Amaroo

Postby bjm74 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 am

Amaroo wrote:Bunnings garden section mate.

I walked down that aisle the other day and saw them and instantly knew that's what they were! Lol!

Amaroo wrote:The breather setup has been faultless, it's been about 4 years since it went in and its had plenty of submersions.

Great news! Am hoping to drop mine in this week. On the sealant, I ended up getting Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant - is this right? None of the auto joints around me had any idea (I've got none with regards to this stuff also :? ) so this one seemed to have all the details of what you used. The only blue one was a gasket maker but wasn't sure if that was right.

If you can let me know what the right type of sealant to use is, that'd be awesome! (Can't get Loctite anywhere around me)
*Edit* Never mind I worked it out! SCA had it!
bjm74

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups