My MN Triton......another white GLX

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

My MN Triton......another white GLX

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 pm

G'day,

I've been making use of the vast knowledge on this forum since I picked up my new GLX Triton in February. The wife and I were planning to purchase one at the end of the year to replace our extra cab Hilux that was becoming too small for the two of us and our young son. The great prices on them moved our purchase date forward and a few days after putting down a deposit I had a nice a roomy new GLX in boring but sensible white parked in the driveway.

Click to view larger picture

It certainly has a lot more room in the back than our Hilux and is a little more comfy inside too. This is our old Hilux below, it was a great solid rig and we had a heap of fun in it heading out camping and fishing. We tried to get out for day trips and over nighters in the Hilux when ever possible as my wife and son enjoy it almost as much as I do :)

This is our arrival in Bendethera Valley for a few days camping

Some local Canberra tracks.....

This is out in the Brindabella Valley searching for fishing spots, the guys are in the back after deciding that a river crossing over the top of the Hilux's bull bar probably shouldn't be driven in their Subaru Forrester :lol:

The plan is to set up the Triton similarly to how the Hilux was setup, pretty basic but enough capability to get to some nice camping and fishing spots.

The plan is to do as much work as possible to the Triton myself as I enjoy working on vehicles and I like to be confident in my ability to work on the vehicle in the bush if necessary.

Another toy in the garage that I like to play with is my Corolla, I use this one for local club level motor sport: hillclimbs, circuit, motorkhanas.

Well that's enough about the non-Triton related stuff ;)

So with the Triton parked in the driveway first thing I wanted to know was what did I need to do ASAP and after some research on here it was pretty clear that I needed perform the EGR blank. I read that thread from start to finish and decided I'd blank it off after the 1000km service.

I knocked over the 1000km's ASAP as I needed the service done before we headed off for a few days in the NSW High Country fishing and camping. Being someone from the old school I didn't like the idea not changing the engine oil at the 1000km service so I also changed the oil and filter just to keep myself happy. Also that evening after the 1000km service I cut out a blanking plate from some stainless sheet that I purchased earlier in the week, slotted the plate in and then the next morning we headed off camping.

I was slightly worried I might get and CEL pop up on the trip but am happy to report it's all been smooth sailing with no issues at all after 5000km. I can sleep easy at night now knowing my inlet is not being choked with carbon 8-)

I am sure I'll learn a heap on here and will hopefully be able to contribute in the future too :)
Amaroo

Re: My MN Triton......another white GLX

Postby snowman on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm

my brother has a hilux like that one and loves it. little light on power though but he reckons they got uglier from that model on.

welcome mate. Enjoy the new car and plenty of room in the back for the young tacker. ;) :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Nice intro mate & welcome to the site, will be keen to hear what you have planned for the new toy, maybe some bash plates to protect underneath & tyres everything else after that is cream, enjoy the Triton & remember to take lots of photos for us to enjoy the trip with you. :D
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I can assure you that bash plates are to come very shortly :oops: I have already had to panel beat the lower one back into shape after slipping into a rut out around Blowering Dam a few weeks ago. Nothing important was damaged so it was all good, sounded terrible when it happened though.
Amaroo

Postby aids84 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Great choice of vehicle mate, i'm stoked with how mine is coming along after a few mods.

Nice pic of the corolla at Fairbairn. I've done that a few times in my datto, I think it might even still hold a record there.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Cheers, yeah very happy with the Triton. I'm loving having a heater that warms up within minutes of leaving home instead of minutes from arriving at work like the one in the old Hilux, massive bonus in these sub zero mornings.

Fairbairn is good fun, should be even quicker after the resurface is done in hotmix.

So I'm filling in a few gaps from purchase to present with my Triton and another hot topic I read about on here was how uncomfortable the seats were and how some seat spacers would go along way to solving the problem.

Well I'll tell you what, initially I though what a bunch of whingers :lol: , these seats are fine. Sure they are a bit flat and unsuportive but not too bad at all. Anyway as everyone knows the 'new car fever' eventually wears off and you start to notice things you didn't notice before......yep, did a 600km day out and realised they are not too comfortable after all.

Being a shade over 6ft the base of the seat just didn't feel right so I gave the seat spacers a go.

I showed a mate what I wanted and he came back a couple of days later with these.....

Fitted them up and damn! Such a small item makes such a huge difference!! They might only be 25mm in height but boy does it transform the feel of the seat.

I checked out how other people had tackled this and after some careful measurements settled on a 25mm spacer height as it seemed most popular. That gave me a 12.5mm thread engagement on the original stud and 12mm of thread engagement from the bolt on top securing the seat rail.

Great little mod and thumbs up to whoever it was that came up with that simple little solution ;)
Amaroo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Are they steel? Would your mate be interested in making more? Quite a few people were after a set.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Backtracking a little here......... the first trip I did in the Triton was up into the NSW High Country and having planned the trip a couple of months earlier and only picking up the Triton a week before the trip I was unsure if I should take the Hilux before I sold it or take the new rig.

Easy decision, take the new rig. As mentioned earlier I knocked over the first 1000km in about a week then dropped it in for the first check up service the day before we left. I just noted with my brother and dad who I was taking in my Triton that we'd just have to see how we go and may not get everywhere we had planned to in the Triton as it was bog stock (there were a few river crossings which were the main concern).

I might note here too that in the first couple of days of picking up my Triton I had an oil leak from the rear diff filler plug. I've noticed a few other people on here have had the same issue too. I didn't bother taking it in to Mitsubishi, I just fitted a new crush washer and problem solved :) I mentioned it at the 1000km service and they apologised.

Back to the story.... we hit up the Geehi Valley on this trip and crossed the Murray into Vic and did some fishing and camping. Now my concern was that I had no breather extensions fitted and no snorkel so we checked all the water crossings carefully before doing them. The rear diff well and truly was going under on a few of the crossings but I was confident that if I let it cool down before dunking it that it would not draw water in. The factory breather cap allows pressure to escape but then retains a vaccuum in the diff housing. Hence the small "hisssss" sounds when you crack the filler plug. My theory proved correct as the oil was perfect on the post trip check. The rivers were pretty low so nothing else was a concern.

A few pics from the Geehi and Tom Groggin area.......Triton crossing the Murray

Camping in the Geehi Valley......my crappy photos don't do this place justice, really amazing place to camp.

Fishing and rivers go hand in hand so I end up driving through a few.........breather installation time.

The old Toyota was dead easy for breather installation as all the pick up points were threaded so you just had to remove the old breather and fit your new connection. Not so straight forward on the Triton.......or so I thought.

I read all the remote breather threads and noted the methods people had used to to tackle the rear diff and transfer and gear box. Some good ideas and some confusing ones for the gear box and transfer case too :?:

Lets start with the rear diff breather.

I unplugged the stock breather cap set up and dismantled it.......

Starting on the left is the plastic dust cap that is visible if you stick your head under the back of your car, then under that is the metal cap which contains a spring and rubber disc. The spring holds the rubber disc against the nipple of the plastic plug to the right of it. This is how the diff is able to breath out and then retain a vaccuum inside. The next part is the main body of the unit and to the left of that the rubber washer that seals it to the diff housing.

I liked the idea of tig welding a new fitting over the hole left in the diff but it was all too much work so I was set on the idea of cutting the nipple part of the body off the plug and then tapping a 1/8NPT thread into the body to which a fitting could be installed. But after some measurements were taken I was no longer keen on that idea.

If the nipple is cut off the body I was only left with ~3mm of plastic in which to cut a tapered thread. Not good enough I thought.......back to the drawing board.

A couple more careful measurements and problem solved :D

The ID of the nipple on the plastic body is 5.9mm. The OD of the line I am using is 6.0mm. The line would start to go through but would then get too tight to push all the way through. A dab of lubricant and it slid through, still requiring a bit of force. Now I was pretty confident that given how much force was required to push the hose through that it wouldn't go anywhere on its own but to be extra sure I created a flare in the inside end so that it is impossible for it to pull out....

Hose fits in with a nice seal...

Flare the inside end with a plastic barb...

Snip off the excess barb...

Pull the hose into its final position....

Refit to the diff with new sealant (factory installation uses sealant too).....

Run the line from the diff to the front of the car....

This all worked brilliantly and could be all reverted back to OEM spec if needed as no parts were altered to complete the installation.

This is the line I used.....

I hope I explained that clearly enough and my apologies for the crappy phone camera pics.
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Are they steel? Would your mate be interested in making more? Quite a few people were after a set.

They are aluminium, a grade of which he assured me was more than up to the task and that he could provide paper work for if I was to pursue any engineering approval/certification. He was more than happy to make it for me in steel but thought this would be nicer.....who was I to argue :P .

I can ask if he will make more, worst he can say is no ;)

Would steel be the preferred option?
Amaroo

Postby Duck on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Very nice breather install, I just bought a TJM set, but I do like that bright blue tube 8-)
Duck

Postby Duck on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 pm

I like the install so much I posted twice :evil:
Duck

Postby Lunny on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Amaroo wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Are they steel? Would your mate be interested in making more? Quite a few people were after a set.

They are aluminium, a grade of which he assured me was more than up to the task and that he could provide paper work for if I was to pursue any engineering approval/certification. He was more than happy to make it for me in steel but thought this would be nicer.....who was I to argue :P .

If he is willing to make more, sign me up
Lunny
Lunny

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Duck wrote:Very nice breather install, I just bought a TJM set, but I do like that bright blue tube 8-)

Cheers, It turned up and I went and bought 10m of black tube to make it look more factory but ended using the blue because its easier to spot if its been damaged under the car. Well that's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it ;)
Amaroo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Wow mate, if only everyone's first couple of posts could be as useful as these. :D
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Lunny on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:53 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Wow mate, if only everyone's first couple of posts could be as useful as these. :D

We all have useful posts CD, except this one lol
Lunny
Lunny

Postby Amaroo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Working up in height on the Triton the next remote breathers to tackle were the gearbox and transfer case.

This is the one that looked like it was going to be a pain, it seemed that after reading what other people had found it was very vague about which hoses and lines did what and if there were separate breathers for the transfer and gear box?????

I better state now that this is all for a manual MN so I can't speak for anything else.

A golden bit of advice I found on here was how to remove the centre console rear section. The two bolts at the back of it were obvious but the clips holding the front were an unknown and I wasn't keen to break anything! After a bit of reading, a forum member noted that all that is required is to lift the front up to free the clips - it worked a treat. The clips look like this......

It didn't take too much force to pop these clips out and then the front section of the console came out very easily.

With the centre console removed and the gearboot lifted up our of the way I could now see the top of the gearbox.......like so......

In my research on here on how to best tackle this original set up I saw some very complicated setups with hoses of varying diameters and pipes and hoses going in all manner of directions. I did a bit more investigating around the top of the gearbox and sussed out what was going on.

The hard pipe that comes out of the transfer case lever boot is plumbed into the gearbox body via the soft hose from the hard line to the nipple on the top of the gear box. The hard line from the transfer boot and rubber line into the gearbox housing are clearly visible in the above pic.

Pretty much dead centre in the above photo is the gearbox breather or more accurately this breather is the combined transfer and gearbox breather. It is the same type of breather as found on the rear diff, under the metal cap is a spring and rubber disc sitting atop a short nipple on the body of the fitting. This fitting body is metal though and not easily removed from the gearbox housing.

The simplest way to set up breather on this for me was to run one line off the hard line which would be a dedicated transfer case breather and then from the small nipple that the transfer case was breathing into on the gearbox housing this would now become the dedicated line fitting for the gearbox breather.

Still with me :)

Now the original combined breather becomes redundant so the metal cap, spring and rubber disc are removed and this leaves a short flared nipple which a rubber blanking cap is fitted too........the picture below should make things clearer.......

I checked each new line after I plumbed them up by blowing into them to see if they held pressure and then cracked the gearbox and transfer filler plugs to ensure they released the pressure, which also confirmed each line was venting the two cases separately ;)

Then it was a pretty straight forward case of running the lines up into the engine bay.

Just for consistency I plumbed the front diff into the same filter setup, that was dead simple.

Pics of the final product...........

I'll admit straight up that I am terrible at explaining things so if something doesn't make sense just ask and I'll try and explain it better :D
Amaroo

Postby jamesb_bau on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Lunny wrote:
Amaroo wrote:

If he is willing to make more, sign me up[/quote]

Would love a set if this moves ahead..

Great build thread too..

Rob
jamesb_bau

Postby Raz89 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Amaroo wrote:Working up in height on the Triton...

...I'll admit straight up that I am terrible at explaining things so if something doesn't make sense just ask and I'll try and explain it better :D

Nice post again. As Cowboy Dave stated before. Very informative introductory posts Amaroo.

I haven't done my diff breathers properly yet so with that great set of pics I think I'll have to get into it sooner rather than later and stop procrastinating.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Wow! Great start and welcome to the forum. ;)

Of course, had to be a new Canberra member showing the other newbs how it's done. 8-) Look forward to catching up around the tracks.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby badenglxr on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Great write up mate!! Given me the guide I need to do my breathers :) just wondering what sealant you used on the diff breathers? I see blue stuff lol
badenglxr

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:31 pm

badenglxr wrote:Great write up mate!! Given me the guide I need to do my breathers :) just wondering what sealant you used on the diff breathers? I see blue stuff lol

That blue sealant is Permatex Ultra Blue, I would have normally used the Permatex Ultra Black but my tube of it had dried up and so I just used the blue sealant that I had at hand.
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Just an update for some interested people, I haven't spoken to my mate about the seat spacers yet but next time I see him I will, just in case anyone had thought I had forgotten about it ;)

I'm narrowing down my choices on some of the gear that is going on my car now and one thing that everyone is aware of is that the MN has some fair length about it and adding a bull bar adds a bit more, adding a rear bar will add a little bit more again.

Now I have a pretty short garage to park in and I don't want to make the Triton any longer than it needs to be so I have been looking around for some info on fitting the ARB rear step style bar from an ML to my MN as I won't need the step and would be happy not increasing the length of the vehicle any more than necessary.

To me it looks like the shorter ML step bar will just follow the shape of the tub and offer protection in terms of departure angle and for the rear quarters but obviously no protection from reversing into tall things, but I can live with that.

I am happy to do some cosmetic modifications to make it work but being a tow bar I don't want to do any structural modifications.

If anyone has the experience in this area to tell me it's a shite idea then I'm all ears :)
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Well I can answer my own question now - not a good idea.

I had a look over an ML with ARB rear step bar with my MN parked beside it and it was pretty clear my idea was a pretty crappy one :oops: Needs to be modified too much to follow the line of the bottom of the MN's rear quarter.

Oh well.
Amaroo

Postby cameron250f on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Love that breather set up! Absolutely awesome. I'd also like to put my name down for some spacers if I can! Haha ;)
cameron250f

Postby Smj276 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 pm

What agreat guide for the breathers. can you tell me where you got the hose from?
Thanks
Smj276

Next

Return to Member Build Ups