My MN Triton......another white GLX

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: My MN Triton......another white GLX

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Far out mate, read every single comment on this thread, unreal!

Looks like after our trip away I'll be sussing out some breathers!
ChrisK.ACT

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:59 pm

P.S making some seat spacers at work tomorrow haha :D
ChrisK.ACT

Postby macca002 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Looking good.
Now that you have replaced the bottle jack with the highlift, how do you plan on lifting the Triton to replace a flat on the front?
macca002

Postby Amaroo on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:32 pm

macca002 wrote:Looking good.
Now that you have replaced the bottle jack with the highlift, how do you plan on lifting the Triton to replace a flat on the front?

Until the front bar is on I carry a 'lift-mate' for the highlift and a single axle stand.

I always have one axle stand in the tool box anyway just to make working under the car or removing a wheel a little bit safer.
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:34 pm

ChrisK.ACT wrote:P.S making some seat spacers at work tomorrow haha :D

Nice, you'll be impressed how such a small change can make a big difference to comfort.
Amaroo

Postby newby on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

This is hands down the nicest GLX setup i have seen. I have picked a new one up 5 days ago and already can't wait to get tinkering. Definitely going to be replicating a couple of these ideas haha!

Cheers,
Mike
newby

Postby George Kyro on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 pm

Love the compressor mod amaroo!
Pretty nifty install and love the way it comes out of the centre arm rest.

What compressor brand is that ? i couldn't see it written under the pictures
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby the d on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 pm

What a killer Job on all your mods. Well done!
the d

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 am

Looks a lot like the ridge rider (sp?) from supercheap. There's at least half a dozen different brands selling one that looks just like that with only the colour and hoses changing. Even Aldi does one every 6 months or so.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Amaroo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave guessed it, the compressor is a Ridge Ryder unit from Supercheap. Had it before the Triton so it's about 3 years old now and still does a great job. As Dave noted there are multiple brands all selling the same unit.
Amaroo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:52 am

I probably should have said I have the same one hooked up to my onboard tank. Goes real well, faster than my arb unit by a fair margin (but also maybe twice the size).
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Robby on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:16 am

G'day
Really enjoying your build lots of tips and information certainly going to help me.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Mon May 26, 2014 3:55 pm

I mentioned in the "What did you do to your Triton today" thread that I fitted a set of seals to my tailgate to limit dust and water ingress into the tub. A couple of people were interested in seeing how I did it, so here are the details.......

When I first purchased my Triton from the dealer back in the beginning of 2013 I had intended to have a canopy installed and as such I ordered the Genuine Mitsubishi Water Defender Kit at the time, then changed my mind and decided against a canopy (after reading bad reviews on here about the genuine canopy).

So I had the Water Defender Kit sitting around for about a year and never opened it, advertised it on here with no interest and then more recently thought I would like to limit the amount of dust that enters the tub when offroad so I opened up the box and had a look at what was in the kit.

Wow - what an overpriced package of junk, well done Mitsubishi. The kit is basically two large plastic inserts that sit neatly in the rear corners of the tub liner and have a protruding edge with a seal on it that contacts the tailgate when closed to form a seal down the side edges. This kit is specifically designed for use with a genuine under rail tub liner I might note.

The rubber seals are adhered to the plastic by double sided tape, which was coming off all over the place. So I had to remove the seals and tape carefully before cleaning and reapplying new tape and old seals. But before this I did a test fit and determining that I would remove some of the plastic material that is dedicated to sealing against a genuine canopy. Some simple marking and a trim with a 1mm cutting disc had it looking like it was meant to be.

Now this kit is only designed to seal down the side and most of the dust enters from the bottom so I headed out to Clark Rubber to source a seal for the bottom. They had the perfect shape in stock. I didn't get a photo of the profile of it before installing it but basically it looks like an L with a slight curve to the upright part.

This new rubber seal for the bottom simply has the flat base section slid under the tub liner to hold it in place. It seals up nicely against the bottom of the tailgate when close and is low enough in profile that I can still slide items across the tailgate into the tray without contacting the seal.

Here are some photos.....

Click to view larger picture

This one shows I only installed it with the 3 rear most rivets, I found this to be secure enough and was mindful that installing the 3 down the side of the tub would be a real pain because no matter how much force I used by hand I could not get the tub liner to sit against the tub wall, which meant I would have had no chance of getting a rivet to work. Even to get the face that you can see riveted in this pic to all sit flush I had to use a g-clamp when assembling it to keep the outer plastic, the tub liner and the tray body together (had to remove tail lights to facilitate this). Just the 3 large rivets in the pic seem to be adequate.

Here you can see the bottom seal and how it sits flush against the bottom of the tub liner.....

The passenger side......

Astute observers will note the upright seals don't run all the way to the top of the plastic. This is because the seals actually rest in a depression in the liner on the tail gate when closed and if you run it past the depression you can't close the tailgate.

I got to give the seals a good test the weekend after I installed them, I was second car in convoy for about 5 hours on some very dusty tracks. Ordinarily this would have meant all my gear in the tub would have been filthy with dust, usually more filthy than the outside of the car.

As you can see, the outside of the car is pretty dusty but inside the tray is basically spotless, I didn't have to clean any of the gear that was in the tub when I got home. It definitely worked very well :D
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:08 am

Last weekend I had to head down to the South Coast, Tathra to be precise.

On the way down via Cooma, Nimmitabel, Bemboka and Bega I couldn't help but notice how much State Forest and National Park there was and how much of it appeared accessible.....more on that later.

For this trip I opted to camp at one of the beach side campsites just north of Tathra. The area was called Gillards Beach, with about 4km of smooth dirt road to access the camping area and beach it's easy for anyone in anything to utilise the place. The area boasts around 70 camp sites so I assumed I'd have no trouble finding a spot to throw down the swag and set up the awning - how wrong was I. The place was packed :oops:

Fortunately I had a chat to the two groups occupying one of the larger spots and they were happy for me to set up in the corner. The area was pretty nice for a fairly regulated camping area, the camp sites are separated by bushland so even though there are a lot of camp sites they are all separated and spread out. The sites vary in size as well, so it suits lone-rangers through to big groups.

A few shots of the area, it's $10 per adult per night at this place:

There were a few tracks around the place, I followed this one until it came to a deep bog hole and then turned around. I wasn't planning on any wheeling and hadn't told anyone I was going exploring so I just played it safe.

The beach was just a few metres away from camp.....

I'll be heading back to this campsite or one of the others dotted along the coast between Tathra and Bermagui with the family once the weather starts to warm up again after winter.

There are some good tracks in the area and this spot would make a good base camp for some exploring. I might look into a trip some time during winter to check the place out a little better. Namely I want to do a trip from Canberra through to Wadbilliga National Park and down to the coast. I'll open this trip up to anyone interested when I decide on a weekend to do it.
Amaroo

Postby emjayar on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Looks like an awesome little site. Let me know if you're heading down that way again. As much as I love the brindies... There's only so much can do there.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby Amaroo on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:13 pm

emjayar wrote:Looks like an awesome little site. Let me know if you're heading down that way again. As much as I love the brindies... There's only so much can do there.

Will do. I have a 2 night trip planned out with offroad for a good majority of the way through to that site. Probably look at doing it in August at this stage. Will go through Wadbilliga National Park on Wadbilliga Rd. It look like good country with a fair few trails to explore.
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:30 pm

My son was keen to see some snow, he's almost 3 now and he has been before but he wouldn't remember as it was two winter ago.

Plan was to head into the Brindies and do some wheeling and find some snow but the weather turned to crap on the way out so we bailed to my parents and sat it out for and hour or so and things didn't improve much.

He was still keen for some snow so we just took the soft option and stuck to the bitumen.

He loved it....

It was snowing pretty well by the time we were leaving.

Would have liked to got up into the mountains as I reckon it would have been pretty cool up there, maybe next time.
Amaroo

Postby Scale on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:15 pm

How did the tyres handle the snow on the black top?
Scale

Postby Amaroo on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Scale wrote:How did the tyres handle the snow on the black top?

Really well, a sedan a few cars ahead slid off the road onto the shoulder at low speed and the Amarok in front of me was heading down the hill very cautiously on H/T tyres. So it was slippery conditions and the tyres never even felt loose once. The Amarok pulled over a little way down and I just drove down the rest of the way at a sensible speed with no issues. Way better than the BFGoodrich A/T's on my old rig in this sort of conditions.

Plenty of confidence in them.
Amaroo

Postby Scale on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Amaroo wrote:
Scale wrote:How did the tyres handle the snow on the black top?

Really well, a sedan a few cars ahead slid off the road onto the shoulder at low speed and the Amarok in front of me was heading down the hill very cautiously on H/T tyres. So it was slippery conditions and the tyres never even felt loose once. The Amarok pulled over a little way down and I just drove down the rest of the way at a sensible speed with no issues. Way better than the BFGoodrich A/T's on my old rig in this sort of conditions.

Plenty of confidence in them.

Good to hear can be a very scary situation glad you and you're family were safe.
Scale

Postby alian on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:56 pm

Great write up and very informative but what happened to photos??
Cheers Ian
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lgil86 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:36 pm

alian wrote:Great write up and very informative but what happened to photos??
Cheers Ian

Second that I still haven't copied your breather install lol :lol:
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rd1 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Done Amaroo's diff breather install last weekend. Purchased it back last year but never got around to putting it in. Was a lot harder doing the instal with no pictures but once you start your install and then keep going back to the original post you soon work out what he means. Getting my hands in to do the gearbox and transfer breathers was the hardest bit.
Rich
Rd1

Postby lgil86 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Yea I've had mine on the shelf for ages along with a few other bits and pieces. Ill have to get my finger out
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alexk on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Hey Araroo i cant see any of your pics, says its removed or deleted. Dunno if its just me though?
alexk

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups