My MN Triton......another white GLX

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: My MN Triton......another white GLX

Postby Amaroo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Smj276 wrote:What agreat guide for the breathers. can you tell me where you got the hose from?
Thanks

Hi, the hose came with the breather kit I bought on eBay. The seller was 'lazzyharry' on eBay. I think most hose/hydraulic outlets would sell it as well. Just be sure to get the metric size I have shown above and not the imperial size that is almost the same ;)
Amaroo

Postby cameron250f on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Did my breathers last week, wouldn't have figured it out without your nice little guide! Cheers!
cameron250f

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:53 pm

cameron250f wrote:Did my breathers last week, wouldn't have figured it out without your nice little guide! Cheers!

Good to hear and glad you could follow what I did, generally I am pretty bad at explaining things :?
Amaroo

Postby dmac77 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:34 pm

cameron250f wrote:Love that breather set up! Absolutely awesome. I'd also like to put my name down for some spacers if I can! Haha ;)

I would also be interested in the seat spacers as well if your mate is interested in making them for us.
dmac77

Postby Amaroo on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

I will be asking if I ever see him ;)
Amaroo

Postby Juggz on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 pm

I might have to get some breathers and get you to help me install them. There would naturally be beer involved :lol:
Juggz

Postby Amaroo on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:10 pm

No worries :)
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Got 5 new tyres today for the Triton, after a fair bit of research and procrastination I made the decision to purchase a set of Hankook Dynapro MT's in 265/75R16 fitted to the stock alloys and one on the steel spare.

Looks so much better now with some offroad tyres fitted, will get some pics when it stops raining.

I only got to drive on the road in the rain this afternoon and they seem fine in those conditions. Slightly more hum at 100km/h than the stock tyres but my wife couldn't notice the difference so there's barely a difference you could say.
Amaroo

Postby Shwa on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Excellent write up and great pics mate! Just one question, I've crawled under my ute to have a look but I can't seem to find a breather plug like the rear. Did you mean the front diff was plumbed the same way as the transfer and gearbox? Or do I just need to look a little harder? And how the hell did you get that plug out in such excellent condition?
It's not the time in the life that matters, it's the life in the time!
Shwa

Postby Amaroo on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:26 pm

Shwa wrote:Excellent write up and great pics mate! Just one question, I've crawled under my ute to have a look but I can't seem to find a breather plug like the rear. Did you mean the front diff was plumbed the same way as the transfer and gearbox? Or do I just need to look a little harder? And how the hell did you get that plug out in such excellent condition?

Hey mate, I'm not sure what year Mitsubishi started fitting the plastic breather plug to the rear diff, it's dead easy to spot though. Looking from behind the diff it's just to the left of the diff centre. Either way if its the later model plug or the earlier hose up to the chassis there will be something there ;)

Front diff already has a breather high up on the firewall on the drivers side of the engine. Leaving it as is or running a hose to a filter is neither here nor there, either will do a decent job.

With regard to the rear diff breather plug removal. I just carefully pried away the sealant and then wiggled the plug out.

Hope that answered your questions, sorry in advance if I have misunderstood what you were asking.
Amaroo

Postby buddha on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:27 am

After meeting Amaroo and getting the urge to do my rear diff breather, I played the smarts cause im pretty rough ;) and knew id stuff the plug, so I called mitsu before attempting it and bought a couple of spare plugs just incase. $9.90 each.
I stuffed the original one getting it out as it was a bitch. But when I did my mates, his came out as I touched it so he was lucky he hadn't seen water before a proper breather was installed .
buddha

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Let me know if you want to offload one of the spares. ;)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Shwa on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Funny you should say that Budda, I've already got my hands on a spare rear for exactly the same reason. Thanks heaps for the info Amaroo, I've done a bit more searching on the forum and did see something about the front diff already having a raised breather line but its nice to have it confirmed. There was some talk about diff locks and such on the same page which confused the issue. Where did you find that neat plug for the gearbox breather?
It's not the time in the life that matters, it's the life in the time!
Shwa

Postby Amaroo on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Shwa wrote:Where did you find that neat plug for the gearbox breather?

The rubber cap just came from Autobarn or Supercheap in those little blister packs on the stands they sell nuts and bolts etc. They are just hose barb blanking caps.
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Just drained the gearbox and transfer case oil and replaced it with Penrite Pro Gear Synthetic oil.

Has made the gearbox feel a lot smoother/lighter in terms of shifting, especially into second gear which was fine with the old oil when warmed up but a bit average when cold. Will see tomorrow morning how it is off a stone cold Canberra morning start.

Background is that the gearbox shifted perfectly fine when warm but was a bit notchy shifting into second when cold and I figured if the Penrite oil would help with the cold shift performance that would be great and any other benefits are a bonus.

We will see how it goes I guess.....

While I am rambling on I'll note that I mentioned the difficult/notchy shifting to the mitsubishi service manager and he said that it was because second gear is a double synchro so it's notchy til warmed up. I'm no gearbox expert but I would have expected a double synchro to have the opposite effect and actually be a slicker shift when cold. I was surprised that these boxes would even have a double synchro on second gear???
Amaroo

Postby Juggz on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 pm

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6754

unfortunately not a new problem mate :(
Juggz

Postby Amaroo on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks Juggz, I had read that and seen the issues everyone else has been having. That's why I thought I'd get the oil changed before it may actually get bad and at least give it a fighting chance and make it nicer to drive in the meanwhile. Really my only issue is the first few shifts off a close to 0 degree morning start, other than that its as I'd expect a commercial gearbox to feel.

I guess the other thing to consider too is that if Mitsubishi realise there is an issue with the boxes and issue a fix for them, then at what point is the issue rectified on the production line?? Who knows??? My box might be late enough that it has the issues sorted, maybe its got the synchro issues? Only time will tell.

I'm not expecting the slick shifts of a modern sports car but being able to select a gear without too much effort is always nice hey ;)

This box still shifted better cold than my Impreza, second gear was a right-off in that for a good few kilometres and that car was brand new too..........never got better and never got fixed.
Amaroo

Postby Juggz on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 am

I had 3rd replaced, did nothing but it's nice to know I have a new 3rd gear :lol:

Might try the oil when I get around to it, usually I just take it easy between Home and civic and I should be warm by then. Not too many reasons to stop on the road anyway
Juggz

Postby Amaroo on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:58 am

Drove into work this morning and the shifting was excellent right from the start. Done about 100km around town and its been perfect. Very happy with the oil change :D
Amaroo

Postby GLX58 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Amaroo wrote:Drove into work this morning and the shifting was excellent right from the start. Done about 100km around town and its been perfect. Very happy with the oil change :D

I might have to give this a try too. Second is a bit hard to select in mine also, for about the first 2 minutes of driving or so. Was not overly concerned as it's just a little stiff but reading above makes me think the oil change may be good idea.
GLX58

Postby Amaroo on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:51 pm

GLX58 wrote:
Amaroo wrote:Drove into work this morning and the shifting was excellent right from the start. Done about 100km around town and its been perfect. Very happy with the oil change :D

I might have to give this a try too. Second is a bit hard to select in mine also, for about the first 2 minutes of driving or so. Was not overly concerned as it's just a little stiff but reading above makes me think the oil change may be good idea.

Yours sounds like how mine was and mine was great all day today. Did about 150km all up and not one stiff shift all day.

My snorkel and bash plates arrived today too so when I get time I'll get photos of them being fitted up.
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

New tyres went on a few days back, Hankook Dynapro MT in 265/75R16. Very happy with them after doing a few K's on them now and they fit the car well with no rubbing issues at all (just as everyone on here said they would or wouldn't rub ;) ).

I bought a set of 5 tyres so that my spare was the same size as the rest. The photos below show how the spare fits under the vehicle and the clearance it has. It's close in a few spots but has enough room......

Filling out the guards a little more than the stockers.

Click to view larger picture

Clearance to the passenger side leaf, looks close but it has plenty of space.

Clearance to the exhaust has plenty of room.

Now this is where the clearance is the least, between the diff and tyre. It'll be pretty close as the suspension compresses but it will just clear.

Another purchase this week was some bash plates from Basha Australia. Everyone on here always tells new Triton owners that the first upgrade for off roading should be bash plates and a couple of these photos below should illustrate why to anyone who hasn't had a good look at them.

Nicely made laser cut steel plates that are zinc coated.

New Vs Old rear bash plate sections.

The old bash plate rear section (pictured) is 0.8mm thick Vs the new one which is 3mm. The front section of the stock bash plate is a little thicker at 1.6mm.

They fitted up perfectly.

A keen eye will notice that these are almost identical in profile to the stock protection plates hence they don't offer the slightly better approach angle that some of the other bash plates on the market give.

Very happy with all of the above and can't wait to try out the tyres this coming weekend on the Brindies trip and if the bash plates get tested as well then I'll be glad I installed them :D .

Only other task I did this arvo was measure up behind the rear seat to instal my air compressor, looks like it'll be pretty straight forward once I make a mounting plate.
Amaroo

Postby Juggz on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Mate, now you'll leave me for dead next weekend :lol:
Juggz

Postby Amaroo on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:29 am

Nah, you'll be fine.

There's other Tritons coming that'd leave mine for dead but we won't be pushing them that hard on this trip to find out ;)
Amaroo

Postby Juggz on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:24 am

It's starting to look pretty boss though
Juggz

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups