AussieTriton's........MN Triton?

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: AussieTriton's........MN Triton?

Postby AussieTriton on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:37 pm

srb wrote::lol: Yeah 6lts difference over that distance with that sort of economy. Why would you worry. :shock::roll:

Maybe to some, its no big deal, but work it out over a long trip (say around Australia) the difference in cost adds up to quite a few hundred dollars.
AussieTriton

Postby hvac guy on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Your like me, the little things piss me off.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Last edited by viking shippy on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby skilbys on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Love how Aussies own build thread has been hijacked into a ribbing about his fuel economy whining :lol: :lol:
Having said that, how does 330ks out of a tank sound :oops: (towing 1.5 tones day to day around town mind you)
33's, bar, winch, steel tray etc etc takes its tole
Same set up with the 1.5t caravan on the highway I was getting around 11ltrs/100 so will settle for that, due for 30k service, will hopefully clean a few things up!
skilbys
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:43 pm

viking shippy wrote:Well you carnt drive round oz with your tailgate down you're swag will fallout..
Don't put a canopy on either you will be really disappointed...with the fuel consumption.leave the mrs at home to compensate for the extra fuel used..if you can lol..
Time to get in touch with your let it go suckra grasshopper..
Waiver ; I'm using my SOH here...

WTF? :? :roll: They must be some powerful drugs you are on there. :? If you had been reading my build, I'm fitting a custom made tray, with optional dropsides. After it is on, I wont have to worry about the parachute tailgate then, will I?
Last edited by AussieTriton on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:45 pm

hvac guy wrote:Your like me, the little things piss me off.

Yeah, I guess we have that in common.
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 pm

skilbys wrote:Love how Aussies own build thread has been hijacked into a ribbing about his fuel economy whining :lol: :lol:
Having said that, how does 330ks out of a tank sound :oops: (towing 1.5 tones day to day around town mind you)
33's, bar, winch, steel tray etc etc takes its tole
Same set up with the 1.5t caravan on the highway I was getting around 11ltrs/100 so will settle for that, due for 30k service, will hopefully clean a few things up!

I hear you there, towing that kind of deadweight around everyday will hurt the hip pocket, for sure. I havent exactly been trolling around trying to find out what others are getting re: fuel consumption. I'm just a poor working man and 3/5ths of my weekly pittance goes onto the mortgage. Whats left after groceries, bills, etc. isn't a lot. Maybe it sounds like whinging to most here, but I have to stretch my mileage as far as I can, and having to pay $1.64 per litre for diesel sucks (with E10 around $1.43 perlitre), at least I'm getting a lot better than most. Is jealousy is a curse? ;)
AussieTriton

Postby srb on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:52 am

AussieTriton wrote:
srb wrote::lol: Yeah 6lts difference over that distance with that sort of economy. Why would you worry. :shock::roll:

Maybe to some, its no big deal, but work it out over a long trip (say around Australia) the difference in cost adds up to quite a few hundred dollars.

My apologies Aussie. I just took the time to read you build thread. ;-)

It's now clear to me that you have a serious problem.. Id suggest you go back to your dealer for diagnosis. I always get better economy on highway than city. :-?

Hope it get fixed soon mate and it doesnt cost you too much in fuel in the mean time. ;-)

Keep up the good work on the build thread too. Looking forward to hearing how the mud flap chop goes. ;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Last edited by viking shippy on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby AussieTriton on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 pm

Did a run to Swan Hill yesterday, using my Triton because both work trucks were out on jobs. Loaded with my toolbox that fits neatly between the wheelwells, my little MIG welder, a small Coregas Argo 16/3 bottle and a few 240 leads and 1/2 ton chainblock all strapped in. Removed the tailgate completely (it obscures the # plate) and made up a net from those flouro orange safety barrier nets to fit across the opening:
472 km round trip and used 38.2 ltrs of diesel, sitting on GPS indicated 100 km/h (104 on speedo) on cruise control and using CC in town speed limits. Estimated load weight: 236 kg, not including me. I need a bullbar, as I dodged 7 'roos on the way up (@ 5 am-ish leave time from home) and 3 on the return trip (left SH around 8 pm). 7.6 ish L/100, if the brain calculator is still working, but I stand corrected on that figure. Let me see, now, that would mean I could get........ :? ............ :roll: ............ :o ............. :shock: between 850 - 900+ km to a tank on an extended trip, say to Mildura?
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Did a second run to Swan Hill yesterday, same distance, times, etc. This time I was carrying 300 odd kg of steel plate and cut sections of RHS, angle and flat bar (plus the aformentioned toobox, welder, etc) to finish thejob I started up there. I had to fit the tailgate this tme, in case stuff decided to fall out and kills omeone. I had cut a sheet of 3/4" plywood that fitted neatly on top of the gear in the tub and rested on the top of the tailgate at the back and down about 6" from the top edge of the tub at the front, held secure with a ratchet strap at each end. Result? 42ltrs for 471 km. This time though, I didnt see a single 'roo anywhere on the trip, but HEAPS of decent sized rabbits grazing along the roadside. Ran over a couple, too. Got home last night late, in the morning saw the front was black with insects, and I mean BLACK! No wonder the hi-beam was getting a bit dull close to home. Not to worry, though, it got a good tub today, now its all clean and prim sitting out back. It seems to like a bit of weight in the back on cruise, to make the turbo work a bit better. With close to 600 kg in the back and a full tank, it definately needs better rear dampers, so along with some frontal protection, they are on the important list for to-do's. :D
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 am

Had the 15K service done Thursday at the local dealership (where I bought it from). The engine is noticably quieter and smoother, and hopefully will help improve the economy slightly next week (heading off to NSW for a week of feral destruction). Was out in the shed last night until midnight, loading every spare case I had for the old Lee Enfield, after a busy range day to see what it liked for the new projectiles I am using. I've settled on 2 loadings to field test, should be interesting. The pills are made in Seymour and have proved to be quite accurate and devastating on light game, which is to my liking as I hate seeing wounded game take off. Better go pack my gear. :D Ta ta.
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:44 pm

A nice week away hunting ferals. :D The trip totalled 1141 km and I used 97 litres of fuel. The return trip I was heavier due to a half tub full of firewood on top of the gear I took away, less the 20L in the water container. The Triton performed flawlessly, although it is a bit cramped up front when the electric dog wires and other gear get in the way. It was hard for 2 days, spotting and shooting by myself, but much more productive once my mate showed up for a few days. Between his .222 Martini and my Lee Enfield, we ended up with an impressive tally for the 5 days. I atomised several hares, rabbits and a fox with the .303, and dropped 3 goats with 3 shots in about 8 seconds before the others realised that hanging around was bad for their health and took off into the scrub. Man i love the smooth fast reloading of the old LE, it beats a lot of other bolt guns for speed and the 10 round mag means less reloading and the Bushnell XLT Trophy 6 - 18 x 50 on 8x was fantastic in day and low light shooting. The 50mm objective lens gives a great field of view and the bold duplex reticle was easy to see and very precise. A lap of the properties we were patroling was 28 km, so I clocked up some serious mileage doing 3 laps a day there (one early morning, one at dusk and one around 9:30pm). Lots of off camber loose gravel along the fence lines through the tree belts, grassy wet paddocks and deep gullys, most I did in 2WD, although at night with the dew, I used 4WD just to make sure. Its a pity the Mitsubishi diesel is so noisy outside the car, it really was scaring away a lot of game once they recognised the rattle coming their way. If it was quieter at low engine speeds, I'm sure we would have had more close in shots, rather than waiting for the game to stop at distance (200+ m away). My mate was ok up to 250m but I was limited to 200m max, because the LE was sighted for 100m and I had to guess the hold-over on uphill shots and adjust that on downhill shots. Of 37 rounds fired, I only missed 6, so I'm not doing too bad.
I'm going to start my round of mods now that it's virgin trip is done, I have a short list of things I need to do to make it more friendly for hunting/camping trips IE: tray, cargo boxes, towbar, power outlets, both cig lighter type and Anderson plugs for front, rear and tray. I'll try to post up some pictures as I go along and update my thread.
Cheers. :)
AussieTriton

Postby trouble on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Sounds like a fun trip!
"Atomizing" hahahahaha gold!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby AussieTriton on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:30 pm

trouble wrote:Sounds like a fun trip!
"Atomizing" hahahahaha gold!

Yep, I enjoyed the hell out of it :D Have a few more planned for later in the year. When I get a chance, I'll try to load up a photo of the only intact hare I got into stupidmotors and post it. (Not for the squeamish, though) ;)
AussieTriton

Postby baito on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:51 am

Sounds like a good getaway mate, can't beat the lee enf. Eh nice one
baito

Postby AussieTriton on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:50 am

baito wrote:Sounds like a good getaway mate, can't beat the lee enf. Eh nice one

There are a shite load of better rifles around to choose from, but I like the old battle proven military rifles. The LE #4 was the final rendition of the breed, although not as smooth and accurate as the earlier #1's, its stronger action and easier scope mounting was what I was looking for. Plus the Old Man has several LE's for me to play with anytime I want, and we can share ammo, projectiles etc, etc. My old LE did pretty well for a 72 yo military rifle with its original 2 groove barrel. The "crack .... plop" of the little .222R's 55gn Noslers against "BLAM ... WHOP!" of the .303's much heavier 158 gn Bertram soft points made a hit pretty distinct, along with the 30 odd seconds of echo around the valley. :D The snorkle was a pain, having to manouver the electric dog around it all the time, but the elephant ear mirrors were a good rest for the rifle when needed. As I get more trips under my belt, I'll make small mods as required.
Last edited by AussieTriton on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieTriton

Postby viking shippy on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:51 pm

viking shippy

Postby AussieTriton on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:36 pm

viking shippy wrote:.

??? ;)
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Currently fabbing up a cradle to bolt behind the back seat, to hold my ammo boxes securely locked up and a rifle (probably the shorty #1 Mk3 scrub gun I'm building or a coach gun). Gonna remove the factory jack hold-down from the floor with my spotweld cutter and relocate the jack into the new cradle over on the drivers side (pain in the arse where it is) and relocate the wheel brace and jack tube. I'll have to put a ding in the passenger's side back wall to make the cradle fit properly, but thats ok. I'm trying to use all the factory bolt holes as much as possible so its easily removable later on. I'll take some pics tomorrow as I get it done and post them up when I have a chance. Later on, I'll pull the backseat assembly and fab a bolt-in cradle to hold a fridge, esky or food box and the gun case for the #4 for camping / hunting trips when the Handbrake doesn't want to go, that way I can keep the valuable stuff inside. Next week I'll pick up some lights for the tray and finish it off enough to fit to the truck for a test fit/final prep before primer. Once the tray is on semi-permanently, I'll figure out the extra wiring and install it where I want it. The fun things are happening :D
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:48 pm

1 year and 19,000km on, and it's still going. So far, only an occasional graunch into 4th when cold and an annoying rattle in the left rear door area I can't find are the only things I could complain about. I'll rotate the tyres front to rear at 20000 km and go over it with a fine tooth comb underneath when the tub comes off next week. My LED tail lights should arrive on Thursday or Friday, so I'll spend the weekend finishing the tray and getting it ready to install. I'll post some pics then.
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Did the site suddenly lose the ability to edit posts or is it just me? I wanted to add some info to previous posts and now I can't do it. WTF?
AussieTriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Happened weeks ago but you've only just noticed. We had too many people re-writing history and/or coming back to erase it altogether. Now you can edit for a day or two then that's it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby alian on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Nope, my tray is lighter than the factory tub by 35 kg,

Do you know what the original factory style side weighs???
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieTriton on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:28 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Happened weeks ago but you've only just noticed. We had too many people re-writing history and/or coming back to erase it altogether. Now you can edit for a day or two then that's it.

OK. I havent been on for weeks, so I wouldnt have noticed :oops: Too much work, life etc gets in the way. That explains why some posts are empty here and in other places. ;)
AussieTriton

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups