Chris' Black GLX-R Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Chris' Black GLX-R Build

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi guys,

I have recently sold my 95 Hilux extra cab and purchased a nice shiny 2013 black MN GLX-R. I love it! I have only just done 1000km so haven't had much time to do many things to it yet.

The mods I have done so far consist of a flush mount tonneau cover, tub liner, electronic rust protection, American racing wheels with chunkier tyres, Scangauge 2, dark window tint, EGR blank with no hole (no fault codes thrown up as yet) and a catch can.
I will take the car back to the dealer soon for its 1500km check over and then I will be dropping all oils and replacing with good quality oils. Future mods planned are Ultimate suspension, Chip It chip, rear step tow bar, sliders and some bash plates.

On a side note, I went through the first tank of fuel with just straight diesel. I am on my second tank now and have added 300ml of Castrol Activ 2T and have dropped a tad over a litre off my litres per hundred kms. Went from around 9.5LPH to about 8.4LPH (what are you guys getting?) on the standard dash display. Ill run another couple of tanks with 2T then change back to straight diesel and se if those numbers rise again. I ran 2T in my hilux and got better fuel economy in that too as well as it felt it had some performance gains as it feels with the triton also but that could just be the placebo effect. Engine is still quite rattly and has been since I picked it up new from the dealer. I believe it is the injectors and is a normal triton trait (is this correct?) but ill mention it to the dealer when im there. Anyway just thought id post my slow moving build on here to see what you think.

Thanks
Chris

Click to view larger picture
Last edited by chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
chrisdoherty87

Re: Chris' Black GLX-R Build

Postby brodical on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Nice looking shiny black triton ya have there mate:-) and yer. Remember when I got my first 09mn single cab diesel 4x4 that it was very rattley ..but my duel cab 011 model doesn't seem as noisy in the injector department..but maybe I'm just yousta it lol...judging by reports of guys that use the 2t in the diesel say It quietens the rattle down a fair bit..but your doing that already sooo hmmm
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby pt75 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:03 pm

looks nice mate. I picked one up recently but in iron bark color. Absolutely love it. Look forward to seeing how you mod your triton. Dont have much coin to really do anything at the moment, but eventually ill be looking at mods my self. cheers :D
pt75

Postby Bouie74 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Nice ride mate. I just picked a white MN GLXR too. Love it and agree with the injector noise. It seems that the noise all but disappears when under load then comes bak. Not too much of an issue though. I'm up to about 1000k too and look forward to the first service to discuss the injector noise and also it seems that I need to put a bit of steering wheel down to keep it straight.
On the first tank of fuel I got about 11.5lph and am now getting about 9.5 however I've got front and rear ARB bars (bloody heavy) and a canopy which, along with it still running in, I think contributes to the high ish economy. I've been finding that at 100km/hr I get a good economy around 9 but at 110 it real starts to chew through it. Again, I think it's the weight and drag increase. I don't mind too much. Small price to pay!
Good luck with it. Cheers
Bouie74

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Those are still bloody good figures. I'm up closer to 13 litres per hundred.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby brodical on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm

How many ks on on your trip meter when your fuel light comes on just as a matter of interest cd???
brodical

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks for the good feedback people. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Yeah the 2T quietened it down a bit but I'm not worried about the noise as even a couple of demo cars I drove had it. Must just be a Triton thing. Can't wait to get some decent bars on it and lift it but that will come in due time. I didn't let the fuel light come on on the first tank as I was doing a bit of on road driving through the mountains I didn't want to risk fuel getting low and not having a servo anywhere. I haven't done much highway driving as I've been putting engine under load for running it in. With 2T and no heavy bull bars I am getting around 8.4-8.5 litres per hundred and I've been getting up it a bit here and there. I will run this tank to fuel light and I'll do some highway kms no doubt so I'll see what sort of numbers it gives. Its running 21psi max boost when giving it a bit.
chrisdoherty87

Postby brodical on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:42 am

Ok sweet it's a good feeling having a brand spanker:-) and just for reference you should find ya still have around 12 -15 liters left when the light comes on so ya good for another hundreds clicks or so if need be...pays not to run that low but...if I fill mine up as soon as the light comes on I can usually get 60 or 62 liters in ...hence 75 l tank..
brodical

Postby lachiem on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:38 am

Nice choice with the colour chris 8-)
I'm more or less in the same boat with the injector noise, asked them about it at the 1500 "service" and they said nothing to worry about it, the salesman that sold it to me let me drive his as a demo, it had 10k on it an had more or less the same noise.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:11 am

Yeah I believe most if not all do it. I'll post up some more pics after I have done a few more mods to it. I want to take it off road next time I'm home but I work away so don't get too much time to drive it unfortunately.
chrisdoherty87

Postby lachiem on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 am

Did you get the rear locker included in yours?
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 am

No. I tried but dealer said Mitsubishi only make a number of them with it and its hard to find one. Apparently. Sound like bs but I will go trutrac or something one day if I need to.
chrisdoherty87

Postby lachiem on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:08 pm

sounds like something they try and say to hold off sales if they think they'll need them in the coming months.
My dealer wanted to hold me off signing the contracts and delivery for 2 months, the approx time they thought it would take to find me a black glx in manual. Most of the time its just sales tactics, when I told them I'd go across the border to wodonga and get a black Navara the same day they "found" one quick enough
:twisted:
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby Sootie on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Is your flush tonneau one of the ebay ones or was it a dealer fitted thing?

I have been eyeing off the $300 ish ones on ebay cause I'm too poor for a hard lid but I wasnt sure if they were complete crap
Sootie

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Its a genuine Mitsubishi cover. I really like it. I like hard lids but so impractical if you need to put something of decent size in the back. Flush mounts look tidy. My tub liner is to suit flush cover as it doesn't go over the top because the covers rails are attached up there.
chrisdoherty87

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Just made a few calls about bull bars and am stuck between 3 types. Xrox bar, MCC rocker bar and ARB sahara. Im open to suggestions and also comments from people who have either of those fitted.
chrisdoherty87

Postby DocBassett on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:46 pm

The MCC rocker bar is shit! :lol: Probably offers the least protection of the 3. It is a very different look. I think people will either absolutely love it or hate it. I will love it. :lol: but the xrox is also half the price. It is a hard decision. I like the colour coded sahara with the chrome loop. The rocker bar can also be ordered with loops for added protection. Comes down to your budget and use. I.e animal strikes etc.
DocBassett

Postby DrewXT on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:50 pm

my personal preference for bars is the ARB Deluxe bar, or similar bar, as it's the best for animal strike - in reality the Sahara and Rocker bars look great, and are good light/aerial platforms, but if you get a roo jump into the front of the car, they do bugger all to protect the bonnet/windscreen/passengers....
DrewXT

Postby macca002 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 pm

DrewXT wrote:my personal preference for bars is the ARB Deluxe bar, or similar bar, as it's the best for animal strike - in reality the Sahara and Rocker bars look great, and are good light/aerial platforms, but if you get a roo jump into the front of the car, they do bugger all to protect the bonnet/windscreen/passengers....

When it comes to the bars with protection around the headlight - if the roo doesn't smash the headlight, then the bar will when it takes the impact of the animal strike.
macca002

Postby brodical on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 pm

I wonder if anyone has smacked a roo with an xrox bar on here be good to hear what the result was???
brodical

Postby DocBassett on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:10 pm

I have seen two occasions, neither tritons. One was a patrol and it caused severe front end damage. Car was a write off. The other was on a hilux, and dare I say it, it was unbreakable. Not a scratch. I think it is all circumstantial. Speed, roo size, mid bounce, impact angle etc all play a huge role.
DocBassett

Postby brodical on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Def agree there doc..
brodical

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Not too keen on big bulky bars. To be honest I mainly want something that gives better front clearance and ability to house a winch. If I hit a roo I'll follow it up with a few purposeful hits to a tree so I can get an even newer triton :)
chrisdoherty87

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:07 pm

**Double post
Last edited by chrisdoherty87 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisdoherty87

Postby brodical on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Lol
brodical

Next

Return to Member Build Ups