Pearcies MN GLXR

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Pearcies MN GLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Yeah you'd want something there, if only because the hole is pretty big and it's fairly low down on the firewall. Would be about the right size for a squash ball or something like that if you wanted to bodge something up. With mine I drilled an undersized hole in the centre of the grommet and then ran split conduit through it. It was a very tight fit and I've ended up with a pretty good seal that way. Fiddly, but worth it I reckon.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Pearcie45 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Well as it turns out im getting a new one for free! I had my 1500k service today and they noticed there wasnt a grommet there so they have ordered one for me.

Dave that sounds like a good idea, good way to keep the cable nice and tidy as well. What size split conduit did you use?
MN MY13 GLX-R - Silver - Rear Diff Lock - Rhino Lining Tub Liner - GME TX3100 UHF - Tinted Bonnet Protector - Basha 3mm Bash Plates
Pearcie45

Postby salt36 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 pm

The Rhino lining looks good mate, I would like to see it sometime....

Water gets everywhere under the bonnet, the other smaller grommet next to the brake booster will let water in if the cable is going downhill into the cabin, it is quite high too.
Mine used to leak there driving on wet bitumen, took me a while to find it too :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Pearcie45 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Sure thing salt, im sure we can tee something up. As a matter of fact, ill send you a pm as i reckon you live not far from where i am. Have seen the triton sitting out the front

Just installed my UHF which arrived the other week, been busy but finally found some time to fit it. Ran from the battery, through the grommet on the passenger side, along under the glove box and up underneath the LED display.
The radio and mic holder are both stuck on using double sided tape.

Click to view larger picture

Also bought a tinted bonnet protector from mitsubishi and fitted that the other day too. Now its as if i dont have any stone chips any more!

MN MY13 GLX-R - Silver - Rear Diff Lock - Rhino Lining Tub Liner - GME TX3100 UHF - Tinted Bonnet Protector - Basha 3mm Bash Plates
Pearcie45

Postby salt36 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:54 pm

I like the bonnet protector mate.

Yes I know where you live now from the bottom photo, I could almost throw a rock from here to your place :lol: small world ;)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Pearcie45 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:27 pm

New bash plates arrived from Basha Australia today. After taking off the old ones, i know why it is one of the first things everyone says to upgrade.

Had a little bit of trouble with the new plates not being an exact fit, nothing major, more frustrating than anything having to stuff around trying to align the bolts and holes.

New plates

Old vs New

Looking a bit naked

New plates ready to be tested
Pearcie45

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Did you end up having to drill it or was it just moving it around til the stars were aligned?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Pearcie45 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Did you end up having to drill it or was it just moving it around til the stars were aligned?

Ended up drilling it out a bit. It ended up sitting pretty well, but ive got a feeling each time i take them off and try put them back on itll be a bit of shuffling around.

Started to rain so i will probably take them off some time soon, and make them a bit easier to align, not only for me but for the blokes who do the service! Probably drill it out a bit more and put a washer on there to stop the bolt slipping through on one side.
Pearcie45

Postby salt36 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Dirt and crap builds up on the part of the thread above the welded-in nuts, I give the threads a quick squirt with CRC before I take them off now as Mits stripped most of my threads by about the 40,000 service......
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Amaroo on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Weird? As we discussed the other day, I have the same plates and they went straight on perfectly.

Sorry to hear yours wasn't as straight forward.

You probably did it the same way but I find it easiest to fit the front plate first with the bolts just wound in a couple of turns then slip the rear one on and wind in the rear most bolts finger tight then do any minor adjustments and tighten all the bolts.

Just as you did I added some decent sized washers too as the bolt head is only marginally bigger than the holes/slots.
Last edited by Amaroo on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:13 pm

salt36 wrote:Dirt and crap builds up on the part of the thread above the welded-in nuts, I give the threads a quick squirt with CRC before I take them off now as Mits stripped most of my threads by about the 40,000 service......

After hearing that I reckon I will remove the rear one before the next service just to save the potential hassle.
Amaroo

Postby knotty5170 on Thu May 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey mate

Nice build up!!
I'm in the process of installing my GME3510, where did you penetrate the firewall for the aireal coaxial cable?

Knotty
knotty5170

Postby Pearcie45 on Thu May 29, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey mate. On the passenger side down in the footwell to the left. Took a little bit but managed to get the coax and positive and negative through there
Pearcie45

Postby knotty5170 on Thu May 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks Pearcie,

Do you mean the cluster of main wires coming in through the rubber boot that's clipped to the firewall, seems tight through it.
On the drivers side up top there's a rectangular rubber plug, but the passenger side is the preffered.

I ask the lads in the chat topic= Roof Console, and will see what they think too.

Thank loads.

Knotty
knotty5170

Postby Rd1 on Thu May 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Knotty, if that's the cluster that's got 2 bolts through it from the engine bay side there is heaps of room. I undid the bolts to find the hole through the fire wall is over double the size of the wire bundle. I drilled a hole above the wire bundle through the rubber boot and have been putting all my wires through this hole. I tape the new wire to a short piece of fencing wire and just push it through and can then find it easy in the foot well.
Rd1

Postby knotty5170 on Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Rd1,

Thanks you for that,
The reason I love our forum!

Ive been poking a torch through gaps and places noticing that the car is well water proofed and sealed!

Thanks loads again for your help
Out to the cold garage I go here in- chilly Orange!

Knotty
knotty5170

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Probably too late but there should be a blank rubber plug about as round as a 50c piece right above where a clutch pedal would be. No other wires there so it's easy and not far from the back of the console where you'd be installing that stuff. Also a big grommet in the floor under the passenger seat.

Cowboy Dave

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups