marks latest big adventure

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: marks latest big adventure

Postby sydneymark on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 pm

not to mention i can easily mount one spare, but mounting the second is looking like a PITA :)
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:55 pm

I've had exactly the the same thoughts with my trailer build but think I'll just do the one for the sake of weight.

Will be doing very similar to your trip later in the year so will be keen to read a report when your home ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:57 am

A short post re tyres and fuel economy...

I had a set of Bridgestone Duelers A/T 697 put on last week, then did a drive from Sydney to Orange, followed by a few hours of driving around the farm, some low range etc, fueled up to get 10.9 ltr per 100km, nothing much in the car except for me and the dogs, although the various bars front and back would add to the overall weight.

fueled up on the way home, then again once home, the run from bathurst to sydney gave me 8.4ltr per 100kkm (221kms), pretty happy with that, given it included driving across the blue mountains.

with regard to the tyres, i didn't do enough 4wd to comment on how they performed off road, but they seem as quiet as the road tyres it came with and felt just as grippy in the recent rain.
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

duel battery install

Postby sydneymark on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:48 pm

it's been a long time in the planning, a lot of thinking, planning, beers, sleeping, repeat the cycle over 2 months, you get the picture...

I knew I wanted a onboard second battery right from the start, but where to put it? the engine bay seemed pretty packed, perhaps behind the rear passenger seat? no, that was reserved for guns and air compressors!
somewhere in the back, under the tub or over?
if under then where, behind the rear wheels in the empty cavity as seen in another members rig?

mid Jan i was camping down canberra way and spent some time in a battery place, and talked myself into a 120 amp hour battery, that should power the fridge for a day or two!

now, where to put it? the empty space behind the rear wheels wasn't big enough given the size of the battery, so either in the tub or under. after some time laying down and looking up at the tub i decided that the space behind the spare tyre and the back of the chassis would be the go, so gave a call to a boilermaker mate to see about making a tray up.

Click to view larger picture

next to decide how to tie the battery down...

a bit of steel plate, some long bolts, some rubber will be added top and bottom when it gets installed

i found out pretty quick that trying to drill upwards was hard work, so made a template...

here are the holes looking from underneath, the tray fits a treat and all i need to do now is get the auto electrician round to hook it up

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 pm

oh, I did all the drilling and welding, not my boilermaker mate! :lol:
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

reversing camera install

Postby sydneymark on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:43 am

I know it's been documented before, but since i went a slightly different route i thought i would post in a little more detail rather than just say that I installed a reversing camera and that it worked :lol:

After much procrastination I ended up with the Hema HN6 as my gps, mostly for the Hema maps for trips out bush, but also since it had a video input for a reversing camera. Given the maps alone can cost a couple of hundred $ and a camera another $100, plus a big 6" gps screen, having it all in one package made the $560 slightly easier to hand over.

After being royally ripped on on the first camera I got ($70) on ebay and then getting the same thing for $14 direct from China I finally got around to installing it yesterday.

First of all how to get the cable through the firewall, the yellow RCA video plug is big enough to be a pain trying to push it through most of the rubber grommets I already knew of, and I didn't want to cut and rejoin it.
Looking around the engine bay revealed this rubber grommet right in front of the driver. I pulled it out and pushed through an exploratory line and yup, it goes straight through, perfect, and can be used for other small cables in the future

Looking at where it came out under the engine my original plan was to run it along the main chassis beam, but then i had a brainwave, why not run it along on the inside, it was already protected by an extra conduit so shouldn't rub and it is totally protected. With a little fiddleing around it went all the way to the tail and was then fed up through the right hand side via the indicator area and up into the tub via an enlarged hole. In the photo you can see where ARB have put their cable for the canopy light and brake light. Power for the camera was taken from the reversing light loom on the way through the indicator area.

Another lengthy decision making process was where to put the camera, down by the number plate somewhere or ???
A friend had mentioned that his camera had destroyed itself after some time, weather and dirt had taken it's toll and eventually the lens has popped out, so I decided to place it on the inside up by the canopy brake light where the elements could do it no harm.

So here it is in action, due to the angle of the dangle it doesn't show the actual tail end of the vehicle, nor the tow bar, but does show most of what is behind, the tow bar is about 12" further in than the edge of the screen but I expect I will soon get used to how much room I have
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

canopy vent

Postby sydneymark on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:26 am

After taking a lot of time to get the nerve to cut a big hole in the canopy I finally did it, now to see how well it works.
the theory is that it will create positive air pressure on the inside of the canopy and thus prevent dust etc from getting sucked in at the back where there is little or no seal.
my biggest concern is that I have done a good enough job with the silicon sealant to prevent water getting in

cost was about $12 from Bias Boating

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

reversing light install

Postby sydneymark on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 am

after being frustrated with the power of the standard reversing light I finally got around to buying and installing some esxtra lighting

the unit was about $40 from ebay, it's a 4 led recessed unit, all i had to do was cut a big hole in beside the number plate and hook it up in where the park/indicator/reverse light are.

I also cut out a thick rubber gasket to help isolate any road vibrations

it doesn't make any difference to what i can see on the reversing camera however it does make a huge difference to what i can see in the mirrors, actually before i couldn't really see anything at all, and now i can :)

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby emjayar on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:34 am

I like your idea for the reversing camera position! I have installed a canopy about 3 weeks ago and I find it hard to see through so I'm thinking of mounting a camera similar to that one and replacing the mirror with a screen.

I currently have my reversing camera pointed at my towbar with a screen mounted on my centre console above and behind the handbrake. It's like a portal to the back without reducing forward visibility.

Cheers for the write up and the idea.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

duel battery install

Postby sydneymark on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:55 pm

almost the end of the duel battery install journey, wiring is in, like the reversing camera I ran it along the inside of the chassis rail.
this is the engine bay end, with the isolator attached to the battery surround, I added a couple of metal right angle brackets to make it more stable. there is a big fuse about 15cm along from the isolator and another one at the rear

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

donaldson fuel filter install

Postby sydneymark on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:59 pm

nothing very interesting to see here, I ended up getting the Donaldson fuel filter most due to it being 1/2 the price of the Dahl.
Not plumbed in yet, it will be set up as a pre filter since that is my understanding of what they were designed for.

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Re: donaldson fuel filter install

Postby sydneymark on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:22 am

here it is installed...

a few observations;
i know whether to use a fuel filter before or after the oem fuel filter has been a contentious issue before on the forum, and given I have no experience in this area I asked a friend who works for one of the big 4wd manufacturers whether or not one was needed and if so before or after the oem filter, he in turn asked one of the diesel experts who also deals with warranty issues. The immediate answer was yes, it's a no brainer for traveling in the outback (I image he as seen a lot of rebuilds being needed in this area), and also to use it as a pre-filter since that would not affect warranty if there is a fuel problem, though that comment was strictly off the record ;)

the filter cost about $120, but the extra hose and fittings needed were another $70 from enzed hoses.

I was going to run 1/2 hose from the metal outlet by the firewall around to the fuel filter, but found the bend looked to tight and might restrict the flow, so used the oem short bit of hose that looks more moulded for the bend, then just extended it to the donaldson filter.
i could have used a thinner hose like 8mm and stepped it down from the 12mm outlet, in fact given that the fuel filter has a 8 mm in and out it probably makes little difference either way

it has also now been cable tied in so nothing can move around when traveling off road.

sydneymark wrote:nothing very interesting to see here, I ended up getting the Donaldson fuel filter most due to it being 1/2 the price of the Dahl.
Not plumbed in yet, it will be set up as a pre filter since that is my understanding of what they were designed for.

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:06 am

Well, after some dramas, the snorkel has been fitted.

This post will recap and bring together most of what what I have already posted in a couple of other threads so apologies if you are reading this twice.

final post re install apart from what I post in my build thread.

all done and installed
triton snorkel.jpg

all i can say is what a nightmare, never again, if i am ever to go through this again I will happily pay $300-400 for it to be fitted.
I don't think this is necessarily indicative of it being a cheapie eBay item, I would imaging the same problems would be present in doing any brand fitting.
I am also not too happy with the gap around the hole where the snorkel goes through to the airbox, it didn't seem possible to seal that up when installing.

The snorkel itself seems fine, it's just the rigmarole of fitting that is the PITA.

drilling and fitting the mounting bracket to the windscreen pillar - aaaagh
drilling the big holes - double argggghhhh
getting the rubber to fit between the snorkel and the air box through those big holes- triple arggggggg
bloody non silicone mastic - lets not even go there

one last thing, and this i will put down to being a eBay cheapie, the jubilee clips provided were not big enough,, the next size up was needed, no ifs, no buts, they should have been larger for both the clips that you need to lock in the rubber 'hose' between the snorkel and the airbox.
-update- I emailed the seller and they are aware of the problem and trying to sort it out.

if it hadn't been for a very patient friend who helped me on the final install bit I would most likely have torched the stupid car by now :)

On the plus side my friend at the body shop said that replacement panels for tritons are pretty cheap so not to worry too much. LOL

one thing i noticed in a 4wd magazine guide that ChrisK.ACT posted elsewhere is that they recommend one seal all the drain points in the air box. I didn't do this for the following reasons.
on my car there is only the one place for water to get out of the airbox and that has a one way rubber flap to let the water out and hopefully stop it coming in.
given that with the snorkel installed when driving in the rain then some water will get in through the top of the snorkel, and there is nowhere else for it to go except down to the airbox, therefor I think the outlet 'valve' needs to be left untouched

----------------------------------------------

I stuffed up fitting the angled bracket big time, the kit comes with rivets, however the angle of the bracket prevents my rivet gun getting nice and flush, was able to drill two of them out but had to pull the third out.
am seeing a mate on monday to get some nutserts so that should fix them, also the bracket and snorkel head will cover up the bodgeyness.

when drilling the inside hole you use an existing hole as a guide for the hole saw, however once you get through the first bit of panel there are other structural bends and angles that the saw catches up on, I ended up using a air powered reciprocal saw

dog helping me unpack

gratuitous pic of holes in car

inside the engine bay

the other side showing guide hole in the middle of pic

windscreen pillar stuff up
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lunny on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:28 am

Funny you mention about water in the snorkel... i was watching YOUR 4X4 the other day and that was one of the questions brought up.

Basically the answer was.. Long story short... the head of the snorkels are designed to push away most water, i say most cause they even said some gets in there... but the airboxs are designed to let that water drip out before getting taken into the motor, so as they said, do not seal the little hole in the bottom of your airboxes for that reason..
Lunny
Lunny

Re: donaldson fuel filter install

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:41 am

sydneymark wrote:i know whether to use a fuel filter before or after the oem fuel filter has been a contentious issue before on the forum, and given I have no experience in this area I asked a friend who works for one of the big 4wd manufacturers whether or not one was needed and if so before or after the oem filter, he in turn asked one of the diesel experts who also deals with warranty issues. The immediate answer was yes, it's a no brainer for traveling in the outback (I image he as seen a lot of rebuilds being needed in this area), and also to use it as a pre-filter since that would not affect warranty if there is a fuel problem, though that comment was strictly off the record ;)

I can't say I've ever really understood this whole argument. Not that I want to start or continue an argument mind you.

From what your mate is saying there are basically cases in the outback where crap fuel is causing big engine problems. In those cases that presumably means that whatever caused the failure got past the OEM filter.

So if that's the case, maybe a pre-filter which doesn't filter as finely as the OEM is going to catch some water, and maybe it will help to prevent the OEM filter being overwhelmed (if there is such a thing) if there's a bit of a burst of particulate stuff coming through - but it seems to me that if there is fine stuff that was going to get through the OEM filter anyway then there's a pretty good chance it will get through the coarser pre-filter too.

All of which sort of supports the view that I took which was that a finer (but higher flow capacity) post filter was a better protective measure.

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere and I guess it's implied here, that a pre-filter won't effect warranty, the implication being that a post filter will. I just don't understand that to be honest. I can see (maybe) an argument that an extra filter adds a load to a fuel pump in that maybe it has to suck or push a little harder to get the fuel through an extra obstacle (which it would have to do for a pre-filter too) but beyond that how could it be a negative? Anything that gets past that filter has already gone through the OEM filter so they can't really point the finger at that.

I guess if you were a bit hopeless with the install and introduced a contaminant at that point you'd be in trouble, but once it's in and running I don't see why/how it could become a problem.

Anyway sorry to clutter your build thread with my random thoughts on the topic.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:01 pm

From NewHilux.
mitzikatzi

Postby sydneymark on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 pm

1. thanks mitz, as is often the case, the more questions we ask the more answers we get, often conflicting.

2. Thanks CD, I agree, i didn't want to open that can of worms, however thought I should pass on my thoughts and what I had been told, as always we have to make our own decisions however the more info we have hopefully the more informed we are and can make a better decision.
if there are many more posts on this then perhaps it's best to split these comments of to another thread where people can continue the 'discussion' LOL

with the pre/post filter thing I guess there are a couple of ways of looking it, 1.will it save my engine and 2, if my engine has issues will my warranty/insurance cover it. obviously one would like to cover both, however for me i have make no 2 a priority, assuming i will be near enough to civilization for it to matter, if I am not then I will wish that I chose no 1. :lol:
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

short term observations re snorkel and fuel filter

Postby sydneymark on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:39 pm

I did the drive back to Sydney from bathurst the other week with the snorkel and fuel filter fitted and there was no difference in fuel consumption, similar load, similar traffic, similar speeds, so I will go out on a limb and way there is no obvious ram-air effect or other fuel economy from fitting the snorkel.
I might next try it with the top of the snorkel head turned around to hopefully keep the dust out when travelling (as suggested in another post somewhere)

A few times now if I drive off immediately after starting the engine it stalls, something it never did in the past; I think this is due to the fuel system not pressurising up in time to deliver the fuel as required, however if I wait for a few seconds before driving off it never stalls

I have ordered a snorkel air filter sock and unifilter air filter, they will go in next week, not sure if that will affect things, since I will then be travelling with a full load and trailer I won't be able to comment on any impact they might have

Disclaimer - I installed both the fuel filter and snorkel within a week of each other so one might have impacted the other, but I doubt it
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:39 am

Two days out before departing for the two month trip to Uluru, I think we are on track but still seems like there is a lot to do.

The Triton is just about finished, though I hope the unifilter air filter arrives tomorrow :roll:
What brought it together last week was installing the two drawers I bought, one has been cut back for the fridge and thumper battery, the other now has three weeks of food in it. tec screws are holding it down onto the ply floor and there is a bar across the back to stop them lifting when opened out with weight in them

Been working on the trailer this weekend, just a little more welding, electrics and it's done

Photos to follow when we are more packed
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Packed and ready to go
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Let's see how the weight distribution is looking
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:26 pm

In innaminka for a few days, limited internets so no photos, but a quick update

the car is going like a dream, the trailer has needed a few running repairs but is ok now

fuel economy with the car weighing about 3 tonnes and the trailer 500kg is returning between 11 and 12 lt per 100kkm, both on dirt and off, awesome

the suspension is working a treat, huge thanks to the guys at Ultimate suspension, the car is dealing with the corrugations like a dream.

thus far my biggest success is also my cheapest mod, the air intake i installed in the roof of the canopy is working like a dream, almost no dust getting in the back around the tail gate

hopefully will be able to post photos once we are in Alice Springs

mark
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c2104338 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:41 pm

sydneymark wrote:thus far my biggest success is also my cheapest mod, the air intake i installed in the roof of the canopy is working like a dream, almost no dust getting in the back around the tail gate

These things are worth their weight in gold. I picked up one from ARB for my canopy when I first got the Triton and it does a very good job of keeping the dust out.

I did several hundred kilometres on the dirt tracks last week after heading up to Cameron Corner via the Silver City Highway and then coming back along the dog fence. Was scratching my head wondering why everything in the back was covered in dust after pulling over for a stop- turned out the wife had closed the vent because she thought it looked like rain. :lol:
c2104338

Re: duel battery install

Postby sydneymark on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:59 pm

almost 24 months after installing the second battery I found out where I had made a bit of a mistake.
Needed new tyres, and dropped it off at Bob Jayne, half an hour later I got a call saying the guy couldn't wind down the spare!!! Ooops.
In 35 degrees he did it by hand and gave me the stink eye when I picked the car up, fair enough too, I felt like a total idiot and was glad I hadn't found out in the desert somewhere.

The solution has been to cut two holes in the battery tray, as per the photo, now all is good again :)

sydneymark wrote:it's been a long time in the planning, a lot of thinking, planning, beers, sleeping, repeat the cycle over 2 months, you get the picture...

I knew I wanted a onboard second battery right from the start, but where to put it? the engine bay seemed pretty packed, perhaps behind the rear passenger seat? no, that was reserved for guns and air compressors!
somewhere in the back, under the tub or over?
if under then where, behind the rear wheels in the empty cavity as seen in another members rig?

mid Jan i was camping down canberra way and spent some time in a battery place, and talked myself into a 120 amp hour battery, that should power the fridge for a day or two!

now, where to put it? the empty space behind the rear wheels wasn't big enough given the size of the battery, so either in the tub or under. after some time laying down and looking up at the tub i decided that the space behind the spare tyre and the back of the chassis would be the go, so gave a call to a boilermaker mate to see about making a tray up.

next to decide how to tie the battery down...

a bit of steel plate, some long bolts, some rubber will be added top and bottom when it gets installed

i found out pretty quick that trying to drill upwards was hard work, so made a template...

here are the holes looking from underneath, the tray fits a treat and all i need to do now is get the auto electrician round to hook it up

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

marks next big adventure

Postby sydneymark on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:02 pm

Whoo hoo, am about to head off on another trip, this time three months and driving from Sydney to Broome.
Made a few more minor mods, extended the side of the drawers to the edge of the tub, and installed a 60lt water tank in behind the fridge.

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups