marks latest big adventure

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

marks latest big adventure

Postby sydneymark on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Unlike most other buildups, this one starts with not a single photo, mostly since I don't have the car yet.

Anyhoo, lets get the build started...

Definite stuff ...

Deposit is down on a MY13 GLX, picking it up on friday, only options are window tint and floor mats, comes with alloys and side steps

Paid for MSA canvas seat covers, they arrive within the next week or so

Paid for Ultimate Suspension, they advise it will be about 2 weeks till they are ready

99% decided on a Crown canopy, with lift up side windows and built in roof rack, they can't deliver for about 6 weeks

Probably stuff...
next post
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Re: marks latest big adventure

Postby Duck on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Nice work mate, look forward to the pictures :)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby sydneymark on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Probable stuff to get...

UHF radio, hmm, fixed or 5W handheld?

Spotlights - put on front roof rack over cab or get a nudge bar?

60lt water tank, or three jerry cans, hmm, one option is about ten times the cost of the other.

hi-lift jack, handy for flats on rough ground.

60lt fridge to bring home any hunting spoils, already have a 45lt fridge for food and drinks

my aim is to do a fair bit of tent camping around NSW and beyond, mostly in comfort hence the big cargo space that the triton with a canopy affords, and while not really looking to do any hard core 4wd stuff, you never know when it will come in handy to be in a competent 4WD
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby oztri on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:31 am

Hey mate, bring on Friday. Bet you can't wait.
I reckon get a fixed and handheld UHF, that way you can have someone spot you over the rough stuff or lend a mate that doesn't have one. I got both in a UNIDEN package, which worked out pretty well. Easy to install yourself too.
And good luck with the mod bug. Once it bites..... :lol:
oztri

Postby sydneymark on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:08 pm

not sure why i have to wait till friday, but seems that was the earliest the dealer could fit me in to his busy schedule :roll:

The MSA seat covers have turned up already, not bad service at all.

Other mods in the pipeline are to replace the speakers with some I have been taking from car to car, might upgrade the head unit too once I hear how they sound, will also being putting a bit of sound deadening in the doors at the same time.

A friend has his uhf set up like that too, one in the car and two handhelds
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:48 pm

sydneymark wrote:Probable stuff to get...

hi-lift jack, handy for flats on rough ground.

Wondering without any barwork front or rear.....what are you going to use the hi-lift jack on?? :idea:

Hope it all goes well on Friday for you, ;) I got stuffed around by my dealer for what seemed like an eternity :roll: Im still getting over it 4 years later :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Spotty on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Sound deadening the front doors is a good idea, I have done the inner and outer skins on the front doors and the difference is huge! Still to do the rear doors though.
Spotty

Postby sydneymark on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 pm

i know of a great audio place in Artarmon that will have the thick soft rubber with the mini pyramids and the thick sound deadening foil backed stuff, only drawback is it will probably cost 2 or 300 bucks.

mmm, i was thinking that the front bar would be handy for lifting with a hi-lift, intend to get a tow bar soonish but will wait till i get the car before deciding what to put on, another thing to keep an eye out on ebay. dont want to bugger up my departure angle too much with a low hanging tow bar
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:28 am

Waiting for the pick up time is painful isn't it!

I have a 'lift mate' so I can use the high lift jack on vehicles with no bar work. It attaches to the wheel so the high lift jack can lift from that point. It's a handy option to have in the recovery kit.

Keep us updated on your Triton and don't forget the photos.
Amaroo

Postby sydneymark on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 am

i spose i could start with photos of the seat covers in their boxes LOL
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:24 pm

where the new car should be...

Click to view larger picture

at least it's a start :)
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Love your sense of humor. :lol:
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby hvac guy on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:54 pm

did u polish it to much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Just a quick question on the high lift.... If using the lift mate on the wheel how do you change it?? ;-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Amaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 pm

fridgie wrote:Just a quick question on the high lift.... If using the lift mate on the wheel how do you change it?? ;-)

Yeah you need to lift then chock/axle stand/etc change wheel and reverse procedure. I never said it was convenient :lol:
Amaroo

Postby gaspode on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:56 am

sydneymark wrote:not sure why i have to wait till friday, but seems that was the earliest the dealer could fit me in to his busy schedule :roll:

The MSA seat covers have turned up already, not bad service at all.

Other mods in the pipeline are to replace the speakers with some I have been taking from car to car, might upgrade the head unit too once I hear how they sound, will also being putting a bit of sound deadening in the doors at the same time.

A friend has his uhf set up like that too, one in the car and two handhelds

Hi Mark,

If your looking for new stereo stuff (and I presume your based in Sydney) then have a quick look at this mob:

http://www.nofrillscaraudio.com.au/

They have a great range of gear for what you require. I hope this helps.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks gaspode,

I am looking at new head units so your link will come in handy

I already have the main speakers, just need to install them.
Yesterday went and bought some sound deadening and a couple of tweeters, $800 :shock:
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:28 am

After a very slow start, things are now starting to come together.

The speakers have been upgraded, four AVI speakers with a couple of tweeters, about $300 worth of Dynamat stuck on the four doors, sounds awesome, now thinking of getting a better quality head unit, perhaps a single din then i can put a uhf under it.
no photos since speaker replacement has been covered/illustrated by other members as well or better than i could do.

Tray fitout.
I gave this a lot of thought, along with what I wanted to put in the back and how I wanted to access things, this is still a bit of a work in progress since I haven't been away camping yet so don't know if things need to change somewhat.
Fitted a 7.5mm ply floor and covered it with rubber matting
made three shelves out of ply, braced them and then covered with rubber matting.
Cost of ply about $100
Cost of rubber about $200
Job satisfaction priceless :)

Next job is to fit the Ultimate Suspension shocks/leaf springs
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:31 am

Hey mate, just on that top shelf, are you going to be putting much on it in terms of weight?

While I like the idea, from the photos it looks like you've got a bit of a weak spot in the design - I've stuck an arrow on the image below for the point I mean. I can see you went a double thickness along the edge and then rails underneath for bracing but it looks like all the load will concentrate back onto a single thickness unless I'm missing something?

shelf snap.jpg

On the the bottom area, is that rubber glued to the ply?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby sydneymark on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:47 am

yup, it is a bit of a weak spot, but i don't think too much weight will be placed on the top shelf, time will tell :)

yup, rubber glued to ply with contact adhesive, though when i just put the rubber on top for sizing it pretty well stayed in place, so almost not needed
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:57 am

Given you have it braced with the timber under Neath like that I reckon it would take considerable weight to snap that ply as long as that bracing timber under Neath is well fixed should be pretty tough ..is it 16 mm ply??
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby sydneymark on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:05 pm

i think it is 7.5 if it was much thicker it would be much harder to get the shelves in and out, as they are they are getting a bit wieldy.

if i see any of the weak spots giving way i can always add some more bracing
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Ahh ok looks thicker..
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby sydneymark on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:39 am

First camping trip

sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Well done mate, get out and enjoy life. We should organize a Sydney trip sometime.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Next

Return to Member Build Ups