SamGLX's My08 ML Dualcab Build Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

SamGLX's My08 ML Dualcab Build Up

Postby SamGLX on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi All!
I introduced myself in the introduction section, and thought that I'd start up a thread to show everyone my rig. Ive had it for a couple of months, and spent a bit on her, and poured a few hours into it so far - everythings been done in the shed at home. The full list of mods is on the page of my shed, shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Its a 2007 My08 3.2tdi, 130,000kms, manual, dual cab with a canopy, lift tyres etc, full service history! Picked it up an absolute steal, paid 13.5k with 110,000kms on it, stock as a rock with nothing but the ARB canopy and roof racks.

Heres some pics of what I've been doing, will upload and update more as it comes - and hopefully get some pics up out for a wheel next!

This is the Triton the weekend after I brought it home - All it had done at this point was put the awning on (sorry, earliest pic I could find!)

Click to view larger picture

This is with the new tyres: (265/75r16)

With the new 3" lift, basket, hi lift jack and shovel, and bonnet protector:

Snorkel on:

Ironman winch bar and 12000lb dyneema winch:

Side steps and Rod holder:
Be nice, I'm new!

http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3768
Stop by my shed, stick your feet up, have a beer!
SamGLX

Re: SamGLX's My08 ML Dualcab Build Up

Postby GLRkenny on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Nice looking car mate, just need a taller garage now :lol::lol:
GLRkenny

Postby Amaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Truck looks great Sam, well sorted.

I will have to keep an eye out for it around Canberra.
Amaroo

Postby SamGLX on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:44 pm

GLRkenny wrote:Nice looking car mate, just need a taller garage now :lol::lol:

Haha! Gotta get the priorities right, need lockers and a DP chip & exhaust first ;)

Amaroo wrote:Truck looks great Sam, well sorted.

I will have to keep an eye out for it around Canberra.

Im round northside mate (Gungahlin)!
Had a look at your shed, we've got the same rubber on our trucks. How'd you think the Dynapro's go? I got them for a good price off a mate at Jax in Belco, so couldn't pass them up.. But when its time to replace I'm gonna go bigger.
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby Duck on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 pm

8-) Rig is looking 8-) what have you got planned next ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Amaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:43 pm

SamGLX wrote:
Im round northside mate (Gungahlin)!
Had a look at your shed, we've got the same rubber on our trucks. How'd you think the Dynapro's go? I got them for a good price off a mate at Jax in Belco, so couldn't pass them up.. But when its time to replace I'm gonna go bigger.

I'm in Gungahlin as well so might spot you around.

Picked up my tyres from Jax Belco too, been very happy with them so far both off and on road.
Amaroo

Postby brodical on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi mate jst had a look at your pics and noticed that you have the g camp awning and side tent...I've actually jst bought what looks to be the exact same setup of ebay.. What size is that awning??? And how do you find that setup??
Cheers BRODIE
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby brodical on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 pm

And if possible could you plz measure the hole centers for the mounting bolts on the alluminium extrusion ...and also the width of the ally extrusion .cheers mate..
brodical

Postby SamGLX on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Yeah mate! My mrs bought it for me for my birthday this year, I reckon it's brilliant.
It's 2.5 long x 2 deep, the tent is easy as anything to set up, takes less than 5, and once you work out how it folds down, its literally a 30 second fold down job. I use a a queen double air mattress on a frame in it, and that fits me and the mrs comfortably, and the dog on the end of the bed or the floor next to us (German shepherd), and fits a bag or two aswell - I saw it as a different option to a roof topper, and the dog
Can sleep with us if she doesnt feel like sleeping in the ute or her crate, its cheaper, but obviously also functions as an awning.

Two down sides - have to pack it up to go anywhere, though that means it's great for overnighters, and the bag is long - about 1.6-1.8m at a guess. However, if you've got a long roof basket, or just racks, it sits nicely on te roof. I bought a smaller roof basket and mounted it offset (as you can see from the pics if you look, it's got about 30cm gap between the basket and awning) so that the tent can fit snug next to it!

Overall, I love it, and the gcamp quality, although random brand, is great, and the tent setup is brilliant! Ill post up a better pic of it set up tomorrow when I'm on the laptop!
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby SamGLX on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Duck wrote:8-) Rig is looking 8-) what have you got planned next ?

Cheers mate!
LOTS of electrics to get done next - 4 spotties for the front of the basket, and some light force xgt's for the front bar. UHF that I took outta my old truck, and got two 6" LED bars for camping lights (one for the awning and one for the rear). Also, got a ark pack for a dual battery system to wire to the alternator!

Then a front locker is what I see to be the most important.. But all the wiring first!
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby SamGLX on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:29 pm

brodie wrote:And if possible could you plz measure the hole centers for the mounting bolts on the alluminium extrusion ...and also the width of the ally extrusion .cheers mate..

Will do tomorrow, and pm them to you and some pics of the brackets Etc.
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby brodical on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:44 pm

That sounds awesome mate and thanks heaps for the Info yeah my original plan was to go a roof topper but didn't like the bulky ness up there on top and also have a young son and the mrs wasn't to keen with the ladder and what not for late nite toilet runs lol...so I've gone same way as you except I went for the 3 m awning...I'm getting my racks sorted at the moment...so all good think it will rock up next week..can't wait...
Cheers man...Brodie
brodical

Postby SamGLX on Wed May 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Haven't updated this thread in a while, and thought it was about time to do so..

Brother in law sent me this pic of the day I bought my triton home

I then worked my way up to looking like the last pic I posted in the original post.

Needed more space for dogs (2 big ones now), so took the canopy and tub off, and Just finished putting on a brand spanking alloy tray and dog cage.

Took me about 2 half days work. Very happy with how it's all come up, and have definitely reduced the overall weight. It's a lot faster to drive around, and I'm sure the fuel consumption will improve; when I took the canopy off I got an extra 50kms out of a tank, which translates to about 1lt/100kms. The swapping the tub for alloy tray reduced weight again significantly, by about another 100kgs id say, so very happy!

Any questions about the tray swap, feel free to shoot my way
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby evlids on Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 am

awesome work, have been considering the tray swap myself
evlids

Postby SamGLX on Thu May 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Now that I see how much room I was missing out on before, I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier - and hopefully the fuel consumption will pay for itself!

Sold the canopy for a price which covered most of the tray, so wasn't really too expensive either!
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby emjayar on Fri May 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Looking swish sir! I will also keep an eye out for you around Canberra but I work around the airport and live in the inner south so I am not sure our paths would cross too often.

Unless of course you come out on a trip! Like the one tomorrow....
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby SamGLX on Tue May 20, 2014 1:39 pm

Only just read your reply mate! Sorry.
Are you talking about the bendethra trip? I'm looking at organising a boys trip with some mates to bendethra, so I will extend the invite to the boys on here because it's always the more the merrier!!

I haven't gone along on a new triton trip yet, but I know there's a decent size group of blokes in Canberra, so would love to get involved!
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Return to Member Build Ups