Brett's V8 ML Triton. "WRONG"

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Brett's 2007 GLX-R Triton "WRONG"

Postby oldplodder on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:58 am

Brett,
Not sure if you got an answer about the fuel pump and fuel filter location. I only have a long range tank on my triton, and 2 or 3 jerries on the camper for a total of 200 litres. Did run an auxilary fuel tank on the previous 2 pajeros. Carried about 210 litres.
Had the pump as close as I could to the tank at the rear, tucked up high on the rails, and the filter after the pump. Have done cape york and a few trips out west and discovered a fair bit of crap fuel, and the electric pump handled it all. Try and make the filter easily accessable.
Also I found the auxilary tank pump sent fuel to the main fuel pump and was returning back to the 1st tank, so think about which tank is being filled up with return fuel from the injector pump. Unless you have duplicated feed and return lines to your auxulary tank. :o)

Wish you well on your build.
John C
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bilbo on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks John, sent you a PM.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Snooozy on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:53 pm

mb2008 wrote:You sir are an i**** if your towing something and your trailer comes off because you have modified it I sure know I wouldn't want to be traveling anywhere near you, so no not my car but yes everyone should be worried. There are ADR ( Australian design rules ) in place for a reason and a lot of people ignor them and face big penalties for such.

mb2008 wrote:In regards to the spare wheel carrier, have you had it engineered? As that voids all legality from the tow bar manufacturer as well as your insurance is affected as it does not comply with ADR rules and regulations therefore it is illegal. Before you have a go at me I am in the motor trade and I am a trade qualified panel beater so I do know what I am talking about. I hate seeing all illegal mods on cars so I just wanted to make sure you new about the legality of things in regards to modifications.

mmmmmm, from your shed profile.

"Modifications

bulbar, HID spotties, GME 4500 UHF & GME aerial, safari snorkel, unifilter, TJM compressor mounted behind rear seat - custom wiring loom to switch mounted in dash and air out let besides rear seat, double din DVD player in dash, reverse camera, mickey Thompson 265/75/16 MTZ, rims, OME heavy duty suspension, steel tray - only new and still modifying and adding bits and pieces to."

265/75-16's are over legal size, I hope it's been engineered & you have told your insurance company! Braking performance would have been altered amongst other things. I wouldn't be wanting to be traveling in front of you in case you cannot stop in time.

just sayin' :roll: (people in glass houses....you know the rest) :?

& yes, I have illegal mods done to my Tri without engineering too, almost everybody on here does ;)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bilbo on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:45 am

Just got home from an awsome weekend up at Loveday 4x4 Adventure park, what a hoot. Met up with the Ultimate Lifestyle 4x4 club and had a ball. Was going to drop via Melrose on the way home for a day or so but the temp got way too hot. It saw 45 deg on the dash yesterday at Loveday.

The Triton performed admirably and the my trailer received it first real shake down. All worked well.

Click to view larger picture
The trailer ready for the trip.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby triton_guru on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:58 am

Haha your joking, im going there this Saturday.. Any parts you would recommend?
triton_guru

Postby Bilbo on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Try the lot. The touring tracks were all pretty easy to drive. Some of the tracks in front of the Tavern were more challenging. You'll have a ball!

The wife liked the Boobie Shaker!!
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby triton_guru on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Haha sounds awesome mate looking forward to it
triton_guru

Postby Bilbo on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:41 am

Sunday arvo, Oscar and I had a good look around Deep Creek Conservation park, including some of the crown land along the coast. Some beautiful scenery. It helped that there was tonnes of rain which made some of the tracks a little more exciting.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby destorman on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:19 am

Just a read of this whole "build thread" ... wow, lot's of customization.

Two questions:

1. Did you do the Simpson Trip as originally planned?

and

2. What happened with the Triton Trailer using the old ML Tub? Did you finish the build?

OK - EDIT - found this in another thread:

Bilbo wrote:I've decided to stop this project and develop the other trailer that I have built. Hence the tub and canopy are now for sale. Cheers Brett.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Bilbo on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:38 am

destorman wrote:Just a read of this whole "build thread" ... wow, lot's of customization.

Two questions:

and

2. What happened with the Triton Trailer using the old ML Tub? Did you finish the build?

Bilbo wrote:I've decided to stop this project and develop the other trailer that I have built. Hence the tub and canopy are now for sale. Cheers Brett.

G'day mate, I run my own business and lost two drivers 2 weeks out from our planned Simpson trip. To this date we still haven't done the crossing. I'm hoping to free up some time in the next 6 months to get out there. Can't wait!!
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Re: Brett's 2007 GLX-R Triton

Postby destorman on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:40 am

Bilbo wrote:
destorman wrote:Just a read of this whole "build thread" ... wow, lot's of customization.

Two questions:

and

G'day mate, I run my own business and lost two drivers 2 weeks out from our planned Simpson trip. To this date we still haven't done the crossing. I'm hoping to free up some time in the next 6 months to get out there. Can't wait!!

"lost" as in resigned, no longer in your employ?

Or, "lost" as in no longer on this earth?
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Zav78 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:41 am

I love your trailer set up mate.
Zav78
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bilbo on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:32 pm

destorman wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

Two questions:

and

[quote="Bilbo"]I've decided to stop this project and develop the other trailer that I have built. Hence the tub and canopy are now for sale. Cheers Brett.

"lost" as in resigned, no longer in your employ?

Or, "lost" as in no longer on this earth?[/quote]

Still on this earth, however does not work for me anymore.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Zav78 wrote:I love your trailer set up mate.
Thanks Mate.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby triton_guru on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Still need to catch up with you in adelaide mate, good looking trailer btw :-)
triton_guru

Postby Kuff on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:12 pm

A bump for a great build.

The more I look at your canopy the more I love it. Great job mate.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Bilbo on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:06 pm

Been a while guys, thought I'd check in.

I've not done much to the old girl of late. It did however repay me for this with an engine failure!!

It seams that I had an injector lean out, which in turn cracked a piston. It's all fun and games.

Hopefully I'll get it back next week with a new engine, then back to Morpowa to check the ECUtek tune.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby c-dale on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Not good news Brett but good to see its been sorted fairly quickly. I saw you were investigating an LS swap. Did anything come of that or kept it with the 2.5 DiD?
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Just remembered yours in an ML :| you dont hear much of the 3.2s failing. How many ks did you have on it when it let go?
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bilbo on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Gday mate, she only has 190000km on it. I've been running boost at 25lb for about 100000 km and wonder if this may have been an issue. 2 of the injectors had blue tips and had leaned out for some reason. I have spoken to the guys who originally did the tune (ECUtek) and they tell me I would have had a problem in the first 1000km if their tune was shonky.

The LS1 would be a great conversion. I got through the planning stages with part numbers organisedo, conversion kits organised from the states ( for a Jeep transfer case believe it or not). However I couldn't have the car off the road long enough to do the conversion justice. It would have been a rushed job.

I may in the future look for a triton with a stuffed motor, buy it cheap and do the conversion. Maybe someone else will have done it by then.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby triton_guru on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Sorry to hear about the mighty 3.2 failing mate. But very interested in the ls conversion haha do you think it would fit? Next year will be engine work. Think i havd spent enough this year haha have ty hey given you an estimate to fix the engine youve got?
triton_guru

Postby hvac guy on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Running lean wont hurt it.
It would be from the injector nozzle blocking and causing a hot spot on the piston and or blowing the tip off injector. Dirty fuel sucks
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bilbo on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:00 pm

Hvac, I understand what your saying. I can't see how I have dirty fuel as I only ever fill my reserve tank and pump through a cab filter into the standard tank. It then runs through the std filter.

Triton-guru, I see you've been busy. We need to catch up at some time. I'd love to have a look over your bus and check out that SAS set up. I have a few ideas I'd like to run past you. I'll end up spending about 8k, new bearings Pistons, rings, machining, timing chain and guides and 4 new injectors, shop labour. LS1 was looking at 15k for the shop to do it or 12k for me (if I had the time.) That included a rebuilt LS1 and a GM 5 speed auto. The time long was all out for me to take on an LS conversion.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby triton_guru on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Yh definitely need to catch up. 8k is pretty cheap for a new car well new engine. Is there any performance work you do to the internals or not really? Im still in 2 minds about engine swaps
triton_guru

Postby Bilbo on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:05 pm

So got the old girl back today. Running sweet!! Now to test it out and make sure everything is tight!!
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups