Brett's V8 ML Triton. "WRONG"

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Brett's V8 ML Triton. "WRONG"

Postby Bilbo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:17 am

RHKTriton wrote:So what is it going to be registered as, a triton, maverick or triverick?

Should look a beast when done.

Maverick mate. [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Re: Brett's V8 ML Triton.

Postby Bilbo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:50 am

I wacked the Mav's bullbar and side steps on this morning just to have a look. Both need to come up about 50mm. The Bull bar is the same width as my old XROX bar with the spacers and side bars.
Click to view larger picture

Last edited by Bilbo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Jacobie on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:39 pm

This thin is going to be so dope when it's done! :o
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby catchya on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:02 pm

It will certainly raise an eyebrow or 2 ;)
catchya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:06 pm

At least being classed as a mav will only tie you to the earlier ADRs. Much more scope for mods. :)
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Yep same in Qld engineering and registered as s patrol with engine mods epa stuff and need for airbags

The patrol has s couple of shortcomings they can crack the rear shock towers, but kits are available be easy with body off, and they can crack the chassis as a ute, the body acts as a structure so does not effect the wagons, BUT you are creating a ute on the wagon chassis, mind you the doner vehicle looked like a wagon chop?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Bilbo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:46 pm

4wd26 wrote:Yep same in Qld engineering and registered as s patrol with engine mods epa stuff and need for airbags

The patrol has s couple of shortcomings they can crack the rear shock towers, but kits are available be easy with body off, and they can crack the chassis as a ute, the body acts as a structure so does not effect the wagons, BUT you are creating a ute on the wagon chassis, mind you the doner vehicle looked like a wagon chop?

Yep it was a wagon chop. The difference between the two chassis is like chalk and cheese. With the lighter Triton body and small tray, the chassis will be fine. The chassis is already set up with Boss drop boxes on the front and rear BOSS upper spring braces.
The mav was built in 1989 so engineering revolves around rules from that period. Having said that I'm going to try and keep the air bags, and Transport SA have asked that emmisions match that of the engine. Standard injectors, stock computer, cat converter. Etc etc.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Bilbo wrote:
4wd26 wrote:Yep same in Qld engineering and registered as s patrol with engine mods epa stuff and need for airbags

Yep it was a wagon chop. The difference between the two chassis is like chalk and cheese. With the lighter Triton body and small tray, the chassis will be fine. The chassis is already set up with Boss drop boxes on the front and rear BOSS upper spring braces.
The mav was built in 1989 so engineering revolves around rules from that period. Having said that I'm going to try and keep the air bags, and Transport SA have asked that emmisions match that of the engine. Standard injectors, stock computer, cat converter. Etc etc.

The donor Mav al9ng side a mates 4 inch lifted GQ. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 pm

It looks huge already with the triton body. How much did you have to lift the triton body to fit over the engine. That engine looks low, so I'm thinking 2 maybe 3 inches body blocks?
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby snakesoup on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:21 pm

the mav looked like a good rig as it was ?
snakesoup

Postby Bilbo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:12 am

4wd26 wrote:It looks huge already with the triton body. How much did you have to lift the triton body to fit over the engine. That engine looks low, so I'm thinking 2 maybe 3 inches body blocks?

The size of the engine isn't why it sits tall. The trans tunnel restricted how low the body could sit. I thought it was important to have enough clearance to work on the engine and gearbox. The other restriction was the Mav's steering box. It sits where your lower radiator mount is located. As it stands I've been able to use all the standard Triton steering linkages and brake booster. I've retro ritted the Mav's Clutch booster and master.
She will sit 50mm higher than the Mav when its sitting on its new body mounts. There will be no body lift.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:15 am

snakesoup wrote:the mav looked like a good rig as it was ?

Gday mate. Yes the Mav was a great old bus. I thought, why start a project with a heap of junk when I have the option of starting with a well equiped vehicle. It has everything I'm looking for except 5 seats.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby MilkmanDan on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:00 am

I endorse this product or service.

Great idea mate, a little bemused if anything as to using the body off the triton and not a donor but I am sure there are reasons.

Any thought to losing the 5litre Holden and going a layer model LS series?
MilkmanDan

Postby Bilbo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:17 am

MilkmanDan wrote:I endorse this product or service.

Great idea mate, a little bemused if anything as to using the body off the triton and not a donor but I am sure there are reasons.

Its all good mate. If you had read through my reasons i guess you would have seen that Ive already rebuilt the 3.2 once. The 3.2 then failed again so this conversion will be more cost efdective than rebuilding my engine again. The added benefit being the whole car will be engineered.

I feel the older 5lt is a more simle engine at this stage. Getting parts etc while travelling will be easy. It will have a whole lot more power than my old turbo diesel, will be cheaper to run, and was afordable to purchase as a complete running vehicle. You never know at some stage I might upgrade it.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 am

Tex wrote:What went wrong with your 2 motors that failed :?: I don't like to hear of problems with the 3.2.

Hi Tex,
I had an injector fail the first time, it leaned out and cracked a piston. I had it completely rebuilt with new pistons, rings, injectors etc etc.
The second time I'm not 100% sure as yet. I havnt had it pulled apart to determine exactly what has gone wrong. It looks like a possible failure in the fuel pump to injector no3, and another cracked piston.
I didnt want to waste more money on the diesel engine. Ive been keen for some time to do this conversion but have been hanging off waiting for someone to do a v8 conversion into a Triton. I dont think its happened yet.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:17 am

Tex wrote:Was there any warning when the injector failed :?:

Sorry to take your build off topic :)

No warning either time. The engine just lost power and pumped smoke out the exhaust. Take the oil filler cap off and the engine is breathing heavily through the cover.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Got the gear sticks set up today. The Triton was an auto previously so there has been a bit of messing around setting up a clutch booster from the mav and the triton pedal assembly. The Mav's handbraje is installed and easy to adjust.
The gear lever is in first.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 am

Bilbo wrote:

Its all good mate. If you had read through my reasons i guess you would have seen that Ive already rebuilt the 3.2 once. The 3.2 then failed again so this conversion will be more cost efdective than rebuilding my engine again. The added benefit being the whole car will be engineered.

I feel the older 5lt is a more simle engine at this stage. Getting parts etc while travelling will be easy. It will have a whole lot more power than my old turbo diesel, will be cheaper to run, and was afordable to purchase as a complete running vehicle. You never know at some stage I might upgrade it.

Sorry mate I missed where the second rebuild has gone south.

Subbed
MilkmanDan

Postby Bilbo on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:23 am

MilkmanDan wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

Sorry mate I missed where the second rebuild has gone south.

Subbed

All good mate. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. The second engine failing gave me the excuse.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Coming along nicely
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby Bilbo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Got the old girl started today. It makes a real difference having the right people helping out.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Some pics.Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby triton_guru on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Thats awesome mate congratulations good to see people pushing the limits :) and i definitely agree with the right people comment it made my conversion alot easier. Beachport trip next year mate
triton_guru

Postby Bilbo on Wed May 03, 2017 4:18 pm

New body mounts tacked in place, ready for engineers inspection.Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Wed May 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Radiator fitted and ready for plumbing.Click to view larger picture

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups