MJ's Tourer

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: MJ's Tourer

Postby emjayar on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 am

I could not be happier! There are more mounting tabs than I know what to do with. (slight exaggeration but there are more than I expected)

There are 5 on the loop... 3 across the top and 1 either side. In the wings there is also 1 each side.

I'm going to re-use the wiring for my fog lights to power some LED replacement fog lights or DRL or my Rock lights yet to be installed.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:47 pm

emjayar wrote:There are 5 on the loop... 3 across the top and 1 either side. In the wings there is also 1 each side.

Just remember that to stay legal nothing can project above the loop and driving lights not project forward of the main section of the bar. Those tabs sticking out the side of the loop :o Beats me how they reckon that bar meets the ADRs. :?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby emjayar on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Click to view larger picture

Well! The suspension is now in! A huge thank you to the efforts of the lads up at The Ultimate Suspension for doing what they do.

Whilst I was getting the lift in they replaced the centre bearing and tweaked other stuff that goes over my head but I love the result on road.

I threw Bullseye at some roundabouts (Canberra tradition ;) ) today and gave it some. It sat on the road so nicely I was blown away.

Taking it off road on Sunday to see how it fairs in the dirt!
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
emjayar

Postby trouble on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Good stuff emjayar (MJR)
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Crash486 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:11 am

Ahh the double iPod lift... Yes it's a winner by all reports! Seriously though - good choice, nice ride!
Crash486

Postby emjayar on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:08 am

Yeah, sorry about the item... It was the only thing I knew I would have both before and after the lift.

I saw one chap use a Mother can and thought that was a good idea but I didn't have any sort of drink vessel to use at the time.
emjayar

Postby emjayar on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 am

Yesterdays adventure through the Brindies with Chris_K and Amaroo....

emjayar

Postby emjayar on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Quick update....

Loving the suspension still! Its an awesome upgrade from a shagged out factory set up but I think I still need...
MOAR CLEARANCE! Time to go to 265/7R16 when I have the dosh.

I just dropped 1200 on insuring the beast for another year which has cleared me out pretty hard.

In other news I took a bit of panel damage during my last trip! Some muppet left a sleeper in a bog hole which got collected up under my fender and lifted the whole front right quarter panel by about 10mm.

You can't really see it but I had to pull the flare off and belt in a bit of a deformation in the panel and then paint it for rust protection. It looks pretty swish apart from the massive gap in the door jam :(

Everything came back in line quite nicely.

While I was doing this I discovered that my bumper is wearing into my XROX bar... I need to get it fixed! Preferably by the mechanic who installed the bar. Just needs to be cut a bit more. 5-10mm should clear the wing.

Hope all is well with everyone :)

Here's a sneaky pick of me at a fancy event after a day out in the mud... I made the photographer capture my beast.
emjayar

Postby emjayar on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:26 am

Here's my latest little addition to Bullseye.

I had a bit of a brain explosion and decided I needed more lights for exiting the bush at night. I haven't really needed anything for going about the bush at night as I haven't done any night runs.... yet.

This shows the LED light fall for my additions, I will be adding another pair of LED worklights to fill in the black arcs in between the 2 current arcs.

This shows all my lights on and fired up. The bar is just a 12" single row bar with 5W LEDs in it. The Hairpin lights are 10W LED worklights. I will probably get 2x 2x10W LEDs to fill in the black spots.

Enjoy!
emjayar

Postby jazaboy1 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:14 am

hi mate, how do you like the rear bar? can you add swing arms for spare tyres?
BUILDING UP FROM STOCK, ONE MOD AT A TIME.
jazaboy1

Postby emjayar on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28 am

In theory, yes. If you were handy with a welder and what not. But it isn't designed for it straight out of the box.
emjayar

Postby emjayar on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:02 pm

Some shots from last weekend. Yet another trip into the Brindabellas.

Flexing before the day's trip

Helping a newbie 4WD pair, including a fellow tritoneer.

Chris_K Coming through the bogholes.

Us stuck behind the log we had to cut.

A warning on one side of the track... Would have been nice to know on the other side too!
emjayar

Postby emjayar on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Recently I was in a small party travelling and camping at Paddy's River Dam in Bago State forrest near Batlow. In all the wisdom of one of the drivers in our party he got his Patrol well and truly stuck... It stayed that way for 4 days until the big guns could come in and help us out. I left late that night and didn't stick around...

Fast forward to today, I assisted Chris_K as he positioned a new Runva 11XP winch into my XROX Bar. That was the easy part of it all. I thought it was going to be far more difficult than it was! From then we hit a few snags and decided to regroup at a later stage.

The solenoid is still in the box until I can work out somewhere logical to fit it and the fairlead provided is not suitable for use on the XROX bar. The solution to the latter problem is ordering an offset fairlead, the earlier problem is still just that.

No photos at this stage but it was a somewhat progressive day so I wasn't completely disheartened by the problems.
emjayar

Postby Horan on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Hey Emjayar like your build up just wondering what track in bago did that patrol get stuck on?

Cheers Sam
Horan

Postby emjayar on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 pm

It wasn't really a track... He ended up in the creek about 25m from where we were camped. AND THERE HE STAYED!
emjayar

Postby emjayar on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 am

The winch is in and works like a dream, I have now got an offset fairlead working with it. I've used it a couple of times to 'wear it in'. I'm super impressed with it.

In other news at the back of the beast I put in a set of Outback drawers that were going cheap second hand. I wasn't super happy with the idea of carrying 108kg worth of drawers in the back but it has settled the suspension a lot! Also... The fridge no longer fits in... :( I am going to modify the passenger side drawer so that I can mount the fridge on top of that.

emjayar

Postby emjayar on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Number plate goes up...
Number plate goes down...

I found a similar if not the same hinge on a TJM display vehicle at the recent Canberra Leisure show... Eventually I found it on ebay under 'flip up number plate' along with motorised versions for avoiding cops... I had to laugh.

For all those that are curious, this is on a standard XROX bar and I haven't had to drill anymore holes or anything, I just had to buy some longer bolts and use 10 washers each side to space it out over the winch bolts.
emjayar

Postby Holstein on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Loving the work you have done to your trition it looks great,hoping mine will look like this one day lol

Looking forward to seeing more updates.
Holstein

Postby emjayar on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:47 am

Cheers! I have a couple of updates happening this week.

— Last weekend, I did some rewiring and re-organising of the beast..

— I moved my reversing camera and the screen. I also added another reversing camera cable and monitor (mirror and screen split system) that will be mounted from the canopy racks when they go in.

— added a 6.6db aerial to the exterior and painted it black too.

— I also added a sheathe to my winch rope made of some old garden hose sprayed black.

— Wednesday, I will be getting a long range tank and canopy racks fitted.

— Friday and so on, the tub will be repaired.

I'll try and get some pics soon.
emjayar

Postby emjayar on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 am

Here's an overview of the truck with a basket I had left over from my xtrail.

The long range tank has also been installed. Much tighter fit than I was expecting. It is no lower than the cross member in the top left hand corner.
emjayar

Postby Joel on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:34 pm

Wow mate rig is looking great. We will have to try and catch up one day so i can see the beast in the flesh.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby emjayar on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Today's addition, new shoes and socks.

Sunraysia rims with 265/75R16 General Grabber (SRL)

And I'm spent! The beast is done and dusted! The rest to be done are accessories and electrics but as far as major mods, Bullseye is sitting pretty.
emjayar

Postby emjayar on Sun May 10, 2015 3:05 pm

How foolish I was... I have still been spending money on this blasted unit...

Since fitting the wheels and tyres I have had a couple of upgrades to the lighting department in the form of Korr Spotlights and I've added a 2.5mx3m awning. I have also paid off my exhaust which should be arriving on Monday from our forum sponsor Scott's Rods! A big shout out to their team for their impeccable customer service.

so now it looks a bit like this...

and more recently I was invited out on a trip with Australian 4WD Action and their Zero Dollar Zook... they wanted me to drive through mud for photos... Despite my reservations I caved and it looked like this by sunset.
I also managed to bust my CVs on this trip :(

Canberrans and locals to the area will recognise that the 2 images were taken in almost the exact same place.
emjayar

Postby Joel on Sun May 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Good to see you out there having fun mate. Will have to tee up a get together sometime.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby snakesoup on Sun May 10, 2015 7:33 pm

hey mate ,, truck looks tops. :-) what's your fuel economy like with the tyres and xrox? and other weight of coarse..how many ks from full until the light comes on if ya know mate ..
snakesoup

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups