The Drawers Thread - Show Us Yours Here

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: The Drawers Thread - Show Us Yours Here

Postby al coholic on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:22 am

destorman wrote:How would you build it so as to take a down weight of say 500kg, max 750kg?

What on earth are you carrying in the back of the ute that will be 750kg?? :shock:

Don't worry about the draws....your ute will break in half as well :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby destorman on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:25 am

al coholic wrote:
destorman wrote:How would you build it so as to take a down weight of say 500kg, max 750kg?

What on earth are you carrying in the back of the ute that will be 750kg?? :shock:

Rated to one tonne, so designing to the limits ;)

FWIW, a slide on camper, DIY project ... :roll: ... basically a "camper trailer" on legs, rather than wheels. But, for use "off" the ute, just like a camper trailer. Based around an Oztrail Camper 7 http://www.oztrail.com.au/product-range/camper-trailers-rvs-caravans/camper-trailer-tents/camper-7-canvas-camper-trailer-tent-by-oztrail

So, we'll be building the "box" to go under it to suit the GLX style side tub dimensions. Rough concept design ATM, require the "bed" to be over the cab by about 500mm, width works nicely at 1500mm. Tents about 120kg, so allowing for the "box" and camping stuff (camp kitchen, chairs, etc.), we "should" get under 500kg, but working on a max of 750kg.

First step in the process is the 'drawers' and storage in the tub, it's actually needed to get the height right for "box" to fit the camper tent drop height (850mm) ... since the bed has to go up over the cab, it needs to be at least 1000mm to get clearance off the cab roof,and therefore 150mm too high, plus, not wanting the box to sit on the ground when in use (i.e. sit on legs instead, allow water under if needed, better stability, allow for uneven grounds, etc), so the "box" say a max of 750mm, means we have about 250 in the bottom of the tub to fill up. Hence, the idea for drawers first, and why we need to design them to take the "box" load on top of them ...

So, back to the question ... how should we design the drawers?

Use Ally bar, spaces at what, and with how many verticals at what spacing?

Or,

Use Ply, and if so, what size? what spacings?

?????

All idea's and input greatly appreciated.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby al coholic on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:42 am

destorman wrote:
al coholic wrote:

Rated to one tonne, so designing to the limits ;)

Wow

I hate to rain on your parade, but you have been grossly misinformed or don't understand how payload works.
I'm sorry if this comes across rude or blunt....but a 1 tonne payload limit does not simply mean you put 1 tonne in the back of a dual cab ute :roll:

I'd suggest having a very thorough read through this thread....
viewtopic.php?t=12629

Very good examples of why NOT to do what you plan to do.....
And explanations of what a payload actually is.....
Have you considered the rear axle weights??

And ally tube with plastic joiners under 500kg of slide on camper........ummm no!!!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:33 am

al coholic wrote:And ally tube with plastic joiners under 500kg of slide on camper........ummm no!!!

Must agree with this.
This is a dynamic load, not a static one, with a lot of transverse weight movement. In the case of a heavy breaking incident or hitting a pot hole you will have many times 500kg being put on the frame
I would be looking at a fully welded steel frame, properly engineered, to carry that sort of weight.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby destorman on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:34 pm

al coholic wrote: ... I hate to rain on your parade, but you have been grossly misinformed or don't understand how payload works. I'm sorry if this comes across rude or blunt....but a 1 tonne payload limit does not simply mean you put 1 tonne in the back of a dual cab ute :roll:

viewtopic.php?t=12629

Cheers. Not taken as rude or blunt ... informative, yes. Had not seen the detail in that thread. It's mentioned in there, the topic should be changed as a lot of good info in it about payloads, etc.

FWIW, our "box" concept is roughly 1000 x 1400 so it sits "inside" the styleside tub and between the wheel arches with a frame above that to support the camper tent (i.e. 2000 x 1500) ... at planning stages. Using an 'alloy box' concept like this: http://www.tsb.net.au/service-bodies/lift-off/Lift-Off-Canopy/, which as you can read, notes:

Constructed from lightweight corrosion resistant high grade aluminium, the total weight of the 2400 Canopy service body including ladder racks, shovel drawer is 275 kg.

So, for our concept planning, we figured we would be inside that and allowed 175kg for the "box"

Add the tent at 125kg (over estimate), we are at 300kg, leaving 200kg max for all the other camp gear for a max of 500kg in the tub.
destorman

Postby Scale on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Just ordered a set of Drawers and thinking of how I can best organise them.
So it would be good to here from some of you guys that have had drawers for a while how have you set them up?
Scale

Postby DrewXT on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:26 pm

tricky151 wrote:My whole design only cost around $250 for all plywood and HDPE

Where did you get your hdpe from? I'm having a bitch of a time finding it at a reasonable price...
DrewXT

Postby destorman on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 am

destorman wrote:
al coholic wrote: ... I hate to rain on your parade, but you have been grossly misinformed or don't understand how payload works. I'm sorry if this comes across rude or blunt....but a 1 tonne payload limit does not simply mean you put 1 tonne in the back of a dual cab ute :roll:

viewtopic.php?t=12629

Cheers. Not taken as rude or blunt ... informative, yes. Had not seen the detail in that thread. It's mentioned in there, the topic should be changed as a lot of good info in it about payloads, etc.

FWIW, our "box" concept is roughly 1000 x 1400 so it sits "inside" the styleside tub and between the wheel arches with a frame above that to support the camper tent (i.e. 2000 x 1500) ... at planning stages. Using an 'alloy box' concept like this: http://www.tsb.net.au/service-bodies/lift-off/Lift-Off-Canopy/, which as you can read, notes:

Constructed from lightweight corrosion resistant high grade aluminium, the total weight of the 2400 Canopy service body including ladder racks, shovel drawer is 275 kg.

So, for our concept planning, we figured we would be inside that and allowed 175kg for the "box"

Add the tent at 125kg (over estimate), we are at 300kg, leaving 200kg max for all the other camp gear for a max of 500kg in the tub.

Update - ended up redesigning the whole project and ditched the drawers idea. We ended up making a 'no trailer camper trailer' ... basically a "box" on jockey wheels that has a camper trailer tent mounted on it. We roll the box up onto the back of the ute using ATV ramps (loaded and unloaded with the assistance of a braked winch). Loaded with camp kitchen, eskies, food and camp chairs it's around the 350kg mark. Sits inside the wheel arches and the tent is just above the roof line. Takes about an hour from loaded on ute to camp site fully set up.
destorman

Postby Froggy on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:47 am

I try not to follow these Facebook links but this one was alright:
http://www.sliptalk.com/adventure-truck ... ture-truck
Using bearings running on bolt shafts for runners I thought was pure genius!
Froggy

Postby Robby on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:27 am

Hi guys
I have a couple of question for the drifta draw owners, can any one tell me or take some detail pics of the HDPE drawer slide both on the draw and inside the draw box just curious to see how they run.
Also a full length draw in the triton is 1500mm long so on the drifta set when you extend the draws fully apart from the tailgate what stops them dropping down at the front or do the drawer side rub against the under side of the main box.

Hope that makes sence cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scale on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Robby wrote:Hi guys
I have a couple of question for the drifta draw owners, can any one tell me or take some detail pics of the HDPE drawer slide both on the draw and inside the draw box just curious to see how they run.
Also a full length draw in the triton is 1500mm long so on the drifta set when you extend the draws fully apart from the tailgate what stops them dropping down at the front or do the drawer side rub against the under side of the main box.

Hope that makes sence cheers Robby

Hey Robby I have had my Drifter drawers for 4 months now and love them, when they are fully extended the front of the draw drops A bit and the back rests up against the top of the box as you said but doesn't afect it in any way, the only thing I wasn't keen on was how they are installed, you had to remove all drawers and table and drill through the bottom of the drawer carcass and through the floor of you're tub buy crawling inside where the draw was with a drill, I crawled in ok but had to be pulled out by my feet as I got stuck :lol:
Here's a few pix
Click to view larger picture
Scale

Postby Robby on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Cheers scale that's what I thought do have any pics on how the draw slide connect at the bottom are they in a rebate.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scale on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:06 am

Robby wrote:Cheers scale that's what I thought do have any pics on how the draw slide connect at the bottom are they in a rebate.

Cheers Robby

Here is a link to the one I bought but I had it changed to be reversed to the one on the video.
http://www.drifta.com.au/drifta-2-drawer-extended-with-table/
Scale

Postby mattz on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:51 am

Unfortunately it appears Black Widow have gone into liquidation. :(
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Robby on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:57 am

Scale wrote:
Robby wrote:Cheers scale that's what I thought do have any pics on how the draw slide connect at the bottom are they in a rebate.

Cheers Robby

Here is a link to the one I bought but I had it changed to be reversed to the one on the video.
http://www.drifta.com.au/drifta-2-drawer-extended-with-table/

Cheers Mate
One last question the draws run on skids and I believe another skid in the box itself what stops the draws moving sideways?

Many thanks and your draws look great drifta certainly make nice products

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scale on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:13 am

The thing with Drifta is they are all drawer no loss from having a roller system as you would be aware of so there is a bit of movement fro maybe a 5 mm gap the draws slide effortlessly and the drawers have much more storage space than the roller system, I still have to load them up with all my stuff yet finding free time is hard got a rive trip soon so will sort it then, also have an RTT sitting there for a few months that needs fitting aswell.
Cheers mate if ya thinking going with the Difta drawers you won't be disappointed.
Scale

Postby Robby on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:49 pm

Scale wrote:The thing with Drifta is they are all drawer no loss from having a roller system as you would be aware of so there is a bit of movement fro maybe a 5 mm gap the draws slide effortlessly and the drawers have much more storage space than the roller system, I still have to load them up with all my stuff yet finding free time is hard got a rive trip soon so will sort it then, also have an RTT sitting there for a few months that needs fitting aswell.
Cheers mate if ya thinking going with the Difta drawers you won't be disappointed.

Cheers Scale thanks for the answers most appreciated.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby feckinirish on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:32 pm

I just finished my own single drawer. Made from 12mm ply and using skate board bearings and 20mm SHS for runners. I've painted it with the same Duplicolour bed liner as the tub. I went for a single as I still need to have room for the pooch in the back.

Link to the the full album is here https://goo.gl/photos/ZaxtkUzZuvBX91nKA
feckinirish

Postby Mudme on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:52 am

Nice job
Mudme

Postby feckinirish on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks mate.
feckinirish

Postby uelik on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Just came a cross the pictures of my drawer build. I got the marine play from ORS pre cut. Now the fun started by putting it all to getter and customise exactly to the way I want them.
That was the first layout, fridge on the left but then decided to put the fridge on the right side.
After I had the correct lay out I had to carpet the lot and started to bolt it all down.
All the side wall where not part of the kit I made them to finish it off all looking the same and carpeted.
Behind the fridge is the 2nd Battery and Redarc BC-DC charger and inverter.
Now the drawer are all organised and filled up with all the recovery gear, tools and so on.
Uelik
uelik

Postby motoz on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:32 am

Robby wrote:
Scale wrote:The thing with Drifta is they are all drawer no loss from having a roller system as you would be aware of so there is a bit of movement fro maybe a 5 mm gap the draws slide effortlessly and the drawers have much more storage space than the roller system, I still have to load them up with all my stuff yet finding free time is hard got a rive trip soon so will sort it then, also have an RTT sitting there for a few months that needs fitting aswell.

Cheers Robby

Robby,

I'm in Adelaide mate and have a full Drifta setup in the back with drop down slide. Flick me a PM if ya want to catch up and have a look before you decide.

:D
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Robby on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:11 pm

motoz wrote:
Robby wrote:

Cheers Robby

Robby,

I'm in Adelaide mate and have a full Drifta setup in the back with drop down slide. Flick me a PM if ya want to catch up and have a look before you decide.

:D

Cheers Motoz just sold the last set I made so looking to make another cant decide on ball bearing runners or the HDPE so would be great to have a look at Your drifta set.
Cheers Robby shall drop you a PM
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby melba on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:27 pm

I also have the twin drifta drawers, table and drop down fridgr slide and love it, haven't had a problem and the drawers still slide great.
melba

Postby parfittron on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:02 pm

How have people gone mounting drawers with a tub liner?

Not sure where to fix it down.. Any ideas?
parfittron

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups