The Drawers Thread - Show Us Yours Here

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Drawers

Postby hcr83 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:05 pm

im just in the middle of building a set - has one long drawer right to the back and beside it it has a slide out floor that could be used for fridge, bbq, table etc etc. Also has storage compartments down the sides and behind the slide out floor.
Will put some pics up on Monday - its not finished but will give you a good idea i what its going to look like.

i love having mates with a CNC router ;) made it so it goes together like a jigsaw.
It is what it is...
hcr83

Postby DoubleD on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Hcr pics are always wanted!!!

After making a few sets for mates its helped me to
sort out how I want to fit out my own set. I like the draw
but with a sturdy lid so items can be accessed gen the tailgate
can't be opened (bike rack ect) I'm also a fan of having a low front
on the fridge slide to make installation & removal less of a hassle!!
DoubleD

Postby DoubleD on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Ps: hcr I'd love to have a mate with a
CNC Router!!
DoubleD

Drop your tailgates / lift your sides and show us your DRAWS

Postby CameraManScotty on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:37 am

Hi All,

As the subject suggest im interested in DRAWS.

I've searched the threads and after a few pages I still wasn't closer to getting what I wanted. I want to put a set of draws in the tub of my MN triton but cant seem to find a thread based just on draws.

My plans are to mount a battery in the back and build the draws forward of it with a false floor across the whole width (above the wheel arches). I've even gone as far as thinking if I make the RHS draw lower then the RHS I can mount the fridge slide on the RHS and put a lift out panel that can have the fridge out and a flat floor across the how back when not needing the fridge.

any ideas, tips, pictures or blue prints would be great. just trying to work out best materials etc. dont want to buy one of those "one size fits all" jobs.

I think a dedicated thread just to draws rather then flicking through EVERYONES build ups just for ideas would be cool.
Life's for the living, so live it or your better off dead!
CameraManScotty

Re: Drop your tailgates / lift your sides and show us your D

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Try searching 'Drawers', you should get a lot more results ;)
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Re: The Drawers Thread - Show Us Yours Here

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:20 pm

CameraManScotty wrote:Hi All,

As the subject suggest im interested in DRAWS.

I've searched the threads and after a few pages I still wasn't closer to getting what I wanted. I want to put a set of draws in the tub of my MN triton but cant seem to find a thread based just on draws.

My plans are to mount a battery in the back and build the draws forward of it with a false floor across the whole width (above the wheel arches). I've even gone as far as thinking if I make the RHS draw lower then the RHS I can mount the fridge slide on the RHS and put a lift out panel that can have the fridge out and a flat floor across the how back when not needing the fridge.

any ideas, tips, pictures or blue prints would be great. just trying to work out best materials etc. dont want to buy one of those "one size fits all" jobs.

I think a dedicated thread just to draws rather then flicking through EVERYONES build ups just for ideas would be cool.

I have a battery in the tray and one behind the back seat. Don't have a set of drawers yet.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Orl247 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:49 am

the layout and yes that's a 280ah battery Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
the finished product
switches and 1000w inverter
Orl247

Postby goldsaint on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:01 pm

gutters wrote:
nickknock wrote:One question though, how do you secure the frame to the car? Are you drilling holes in your tub?

I'm building a set of drawers too and I'm using the 6 bolts that are in the floor of the tub. 2 at the front of tub between the wheel arches and 2 on each side of the tub towards the rear behind the wheel arches on each side. See this thread for pictures of the bolt locations.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1959&p=27408&hilit=6+bolts#p27244

Thanks for the info. Just got a new Triton & was looking at possible ways to mount a set of drawers. Seen the 6 x bolts & was scratchin me head wondering what they were there for & was going to post this as my first question then came across this thread. Now I know & it looks like I've found my anchor points.
Cheers
goldsaint

Postby Robby on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi guys and girls
Very early into my draw build just thought I would show my draw skids, using HDPE very easy to use and machines well.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby siwren on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Interesting design with the rail style HDPE strips. Looks like youve got access to the right tools (and skills) to make an awesome set of drawers.

Nothing better than building drawers that fit your requirements and not something generic.
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby Robby on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:45 pm

siwren wrote:Interesting design with the rail style HDPE strips. Looks like youve got access to the right tools (and skills) to make an awesome set of drawers.

Nothing better than building drawers that fit your requirements and not something generic.

Thanks mate i was wanting the draws to lock together with no rattle, I do have the right tools but this is my first draw build just trying to use all the space available and hopefully just do something different.
Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tricky151 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Gday guys,

My next mod was going to be some drawers, i have looked through countless designs and was wanted to know everyones opinions

Full ply design or a aluminium frame design?

what hurdles have you come across with both designs?
tricky151

Postby Robby on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:38 pm

I think most DIY draw builds and what materials to use depends on your skills and what you are comfortable to work with. Both will have pros and cons this is what I found using plywood in my build.
I like the plywood but being a carpenter/joiner there was only one choice.
The draw runners if you go full length that's 1500mm that's a big runner and quality ball bearing runners come at a price, I went the HDPE way for cost, lighf weight,easy to make to your exact size and surprised me how well they slide.
Also the ball bearing runners take up a lot of space on the side of draws and underneath.
I used marine ply A/A gade 12mm a quality product but I would not use this again it's an over kill,exspensive and weighs a little more, on my next build I would use A/A softwood ply lighter and can be used in a marine environment. If you are going to carpet any plywood would be fine and Bunnings sell sheets for $35 just remember the better quality plywood is nice and straight.
The finish on your draws,really think about how they at going to be used carpet looks fantastic but I occasional chuck the retriever in the back and in my trade sawdust is a problem. I have seen many tradie draws where the carpet looks terrible a few weeks in.
I spent ages looking for handles and having two small draws on one side found this a problem to find something I liked,especially with locks next time would make my own handles and locks can be as simple as a steel pin.
As you no plenty of room in the tub of a triton,so much space to play with and throughout my build I kept thinking of new ideas, in my opinion no good having two big draws if nothing is fitted as everything will bounce around especially off rd. Really sit down and think how every inch can be used then think again.
Next time for me I would consider future cable runs, universal lighting for inside draws and camping, a better plan to maximize draw space, how easy to clean when the dirt gets in.
I hope my experience is of some help to you good luck and have fun with your build because its not to hard and very enjoyable
Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tryton08 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Here is a few photos of my setup originally designed for 100 series cruiser. Draws are nearly a 100cm deep which leaves about 25cm in front for storage of things that I don't need to use much but need to take in case. Works great.

Tryton08

Postby tricky151 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Robby wrote:I think most DIY draw builds and what materials to use depends on your skills and what you are comfortable to work with. Both will have pros and cons this is what I found using plywood in my build.
I like the plywood but being a carpenter/joiner there was only one choice.
The draw runners if you go full length that's 1500mm that's a big runner and quality ball bearing runners come at a price, I went the HDPE way for cost, lighf weight,easy to make to your exact size and surprised me how well they slide.
Also the ball bearing runners take up a lot of space on the side of draws and underneath.
I used marine ply A/A gade 12mm a quality product but I would not use this again it's an over kill,exspensive and weighs a little more, on my next build I would use A/A softwood ply lighter and can be used in a marine environment. If you are going to carpet any plywood would be fine and Bunnings sell sheets for $35 just remember the better quality plywood is nice and straight.
The finish on your draws,really think about how they at going to be used carpet looks fantastic but I occasional chuck the retriever in the back and in my trade sawdust is a problem. I have seen many tradie draws where the carpet looks terrible a few weeks in.
I spent ages looking for handles and having two small draws on one side found this a problem to find something I liked,especially with locks next time would make my own handles and locks can be as simple as a steel pin.
As you no plenty of room in the tub of a triton,so much space to play with and throughout my build I kept thinking of new ideas, in my opinion no good having two big draws if nothing is fitted as everything will bounce around especially off rd. Really sit down and think how every inch can be used then think again.
Next time for me I would consider future cable runs, universal lighting for inside draws and camping, a better plan to maximize draw space, how easy to clean when the dirt gets in.
I hope my experience is of some help to you good luck and have fun with your build because its not to hard and very enjoyable
Cheers Robby

Great information, thanks for the reply. I have a few ideas and I'm going to sit down this weekend and have a look at my options.
tricky151

Postby Scale on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:09 pm

Tryton08 wrote:Here is a few photos of my setup originally designed for 100 series cruiser. Draws are nearly a 100cm deep which leaves about 25cm in front for storage of things that I don't need to use much but need to take in case. Works great.

Good score mate looks nice and neat, that's a fair fridge you've got.
Scale

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:47 pm

johno wrote:Hi trouble, I've got a draws in the back of mine, I opted to make my own.
I didn't see any that i liked and the ones that i did like just weren't quite right.
Greedy wrote: From the day I returned however, I found them to be an absolute PITA as they took up a heap of room which reduced what I could carry on a day to day basis.

I would have to agree with greedy, if they are in there permanent they can be a waist of space when you need to carry that big item and you don't want to tow the trailer.
I can remove mine in 5 min if i need the space and just store it away.
It took me a weekend to knock up and about $300, plenty of room for the fridge and an extra battery.

If the fridge is being used i take the floor piece out, or leave it in place for a full floor..........

Aluminum frame..........

heavy duty draw runner......

Cheers Johno

Im currently trying to do something like this, almost identical too... just trying to figure out measurements as ive never done something like this before but figured its a much much cheaper option then buying some... would you happen to have the measurements handy??
triton-2011

Postby Robby on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Another alternative method for the frame, very strong and light weight.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Thats an excellent idea Robby, heaps cheaper aswell im guessing.. how sturdy is it??
triton-2011

Postby Robby on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 pm

triton-2011 wrote:Thats an excellent idea Robby, heaps cheaper aswell im guessing.. how sturdy is it??

Plywood is very strong and the draw frame is very sturdy, you will require 4 sheets for the draw build with side wings at about $40 per sheet not sure what the aluminum would cost, most cabinet shops would cut the plywood for a small charge and you screw it all together but you would need to give them a cutting list.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:09 pm

The aluminium is $24.95 a 1.2m piece so the plywood is most certainly a cheaper option.. have you got the measurements handy by any chance?? if so could you PM them to me... That would be something i could get done on a tight budget and tomorrow :mrgreen:
triton-2011

Postby Naff on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:17 pm

That aluminium shown above is nowhere near that expensive. Search the bunnings website. 1.8m is $15.

Both methods will give you a good result. I went with the aluminium as it will always be lighter than ply.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Naff, you are correct, the price tags must of been in the wrong place today when i had a look, im just after the quickest, cheapest, easiest and fairly sturdy option... i dont ask for much lol
triton-2011

Postby Naff on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:24 pm

Speaking from experience, the aluminium connect-it stuff is extremely easy. The bit that slowed me down was the wooden draws because I'm not all that handy.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:32 pm

My budget is roughly $150.. as the draw runners (ones that hold a decent amount of weight) cost a fair bit.. im going to be using 2 of the plastic storage containers.. so only really need a decent frame (cheap and easy).. seeing a the aluminium is cheaper than i though and as you said Naff EXTREMELY easy.. i might look into abit more.. only thing i worry about in the measurements.. i wonder if i just grab a decent amount of tubing and joiners and build it as i go??
triton-2011

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups