The Drawers Thread - Show Us Yours Here

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Drawers

Postby nickknock on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey, the drawers look fantastic, it's exactly the same ideas i was having to do mine, i'm glad someone got in before me to test run it before i build mine lol.

One question though, how do you secure the frame to the car? Are you drilling holes in your tub?
nickknock

Postby ratstriton on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:06 am

I drilled four hole's in the tub and used 6mm nurtsert's to hold it down never moved, i think nutserts are one of the best things invented i use them all the time now. :D :D
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nickknock on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 am

Oh ok

Nutserts hey... never heard of them. Do they require a special tool to install, or do they just push in?

nickknock

Postby gutters on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:55 am

nickknock wrote:One question though, how do you secure the frame to the car? Are you drilling holes in your tub?

I'm building a set of drawers too and I'm using the 6 bolts that are in the floor of the tub. 2 at the front of tub between the wheel arches and 2 on each side of the tub towards the rear behind the wheel arches on each side. See this thread for pictures of the bolt locations.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1959&p=27408&hilit=6+bolts#p27244
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby nickknock on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:03 am

Ahh awesome, thanks guys!
nickknock

Drawers

Postby ratstriton on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:13 pm

nickknock wrote:Oh ok

Nutserts hey... never heard of them. Do they require a special tool to install, or do they just push in?

They are similar to a pop rivet but have a thread inside, you can buy a special tool but I use a basic system that I found on the net that I made to install them. I will post a link to it when I get home.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trumpy955 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey Brad, how did you go with your drawer situation ? i believe there is a place in Narellan (S/W sydney) called off road systems, that deal in custome rear drawers.
Here, i found a link for you mate. www.offroadsystems.com.au
I have no affilliation, altho i think i saw a thread where Brendan from ultimate ref someone else to them, so they must be ok :?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:22 pm

their gear is good. There are a few of us thinking of investing but drawers are an expensive exercise unless you go the full DIY approach.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby har05l on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:42 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:their gear is good. There are a few of us thinking of investing but drawers are an expensive exercise unless you go the full DIY approach.

And then there's all the extra weight you carry on a daily basis :( , I like the diy approach with the alloy frame and some ply on top. This would be much lighter surely :?
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby josh_cod on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 am

I have one of the Off Road Systems in my tub, this company do the option of having alloy or galvanised steel. Its cheaper to go the steel but obviously alot heavier. I have written abit about my setup in my build thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9153
I took my setup (which includes the water tank) out in about 30mins the first time, and it will prob take me about 10mins the second. It took me awhile to find the two bolts at the back, eventually found them when I took the water tank out and they were underneath :evil: This means that I need to take the watertank out first each time and it doesnt come out together. These bolts could easily go elsewhere though. Oh and they don't use the existing bolts, there are 4 new holes in my tub.
ORS also offer some material to purchase for a DIY approach http://offroadsystems.com.au/diy.html
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:56 am

One Idea I was considering for locating the front end of a draw or work box on the tub is to fit a length of unistrut across the front wall of the tub that the drawer or work module can locate into with respective bar/tube as a keyed support. This then only requires a couple of bolts to be located at the rear. Saves having to access potentially difficult locations of front fastners.

Another alternative is to have a couple of coach bolts slightly proud of the floor near the front of the tube floor for a respective slotted plate to engage.

YES..nutserts are the best thing since sliced bread. I use these often when mounting gear on service poles or where you need better load support than a self tapping screw will offer. If your going to use them regularly then the special tool makes life a lot easier. They would be ideal for accessory mounting around the engine bay too.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ratstriton on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Here is that link for the basic nutsert tool,Good way of doing it if you are only doing one or two at a time.
http://www.bearmach.com/downloads/Techn ... eedure.pdf
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nickknock on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks mate, i'll check it out!
nickknock

Postby nickknock on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Well i bought some nutserts today, and i'll give them a try. The tool was $130!!! But i'll do what that PDF file said, should work out fine.

What timber did you guys use for your drawers? Marine Ply is fairly expensive and i dont think MDF would be suitable
nickknock

Postby johno on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:21 pm

I certainly wouldn't use MDF, it gets knocked around too easy and if it gets a slight touch of water, then you will be up for some new ones.
There are different grades of ply sheeting you can get (rough cut, medium, one face finished, or both faces finished)
Do you intend to cover the box unit ???
if so it won't really matter which type of ply you use, just the thickness and that would possible depend on the frame construction.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby nickknock on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:19 pm

johno wrote:I certainly wouldn't use MDF, it gets knocked around too easy and if it gets a slight touch of water, then you will be up for some new ones.
There are different grades of ply sheeting you can get (rough cut, medium, one face finished, or both faces finished)
Do you intend to cover the box unit ???
if so it won't really matter which type of ply you use, just the thickness and that would possible depend on the frame construction.
Cheers Johno

I'm using the 25mm aluminum tubing and was going to cover it in carpet too.
nickknock

Postby johno on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:03 pm

nickknock wrote: I'm using the 25mm aluminum tubing and was going to cover it in carpet too.

The same stuff that "rats" and i used, it's really nice to use and easy to cut (use a cheep 64 tooth wood blade from bunnings and cut it in a drop saw ;) )
If that's what you are using then you won't have to worry about what it looks like before you cover it so a "rough ply" will do and it's probably the cheapest.
Then you just have to decide how thick you want to make it! i used 12mm, you could get away with using thinner material for any internal use and just use the thicker stuff on the top for a bit of added strength.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby nickknock on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Awesome, thanks heaps for the info mate, really appreciate it :D
nickknock

Postby nickknock on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:30 am

Well i'm half way there... doing a bit by bit when i have spare time.

Click to view larger picture
nickknock

Postby johno on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:48 am

nickknock wrote:Well i'm half way there... doing a bit by bit when i have spare time.

They are looking good,Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture

How did you find the aluminium square section to cut and fit ???

Cheers Johno
johno

Postby boycee on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:20 am

Looking good mate. ;) Now when are we getting away so you can use them. Might have to organize a day trip. ;)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nickknock on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:22 am

boycee wrote:Looking good mate. ;) Now when are we getting away so you can use them. Might have to organize a day trip. ;)

Sounds good to me! :D

What you doing in oct around the 15th? we're heading up to loveday for the weekend, feel free to join us! :D
nickknock

Postby nickknock on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:24 am

johno wrote:
nickknock wrote:Well i'm half way there... doing a bit by bit when i have spare time.

They are looking good,Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture

How did you find the aluminium square section to cut and fit ???

Cheers Johno

I started cutting it all with a hacksaw lol, but I couldnt cut square to save my life, so i borrowed works drop down saw and it was really easy! Hard part was trying to get it apart lol. But all in all, it was really easy. Couldnt believe how much aluminium was required though, i think it was like 8 - 9m all up
nickknock

Postby boycee on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:27 am

nickknock wrote:
boycee wrote:Looking good mate. ;) Now when are we getting away so you can use them. Might have to organize a day trip. ;)

What you doing in oct around the 15th? we're heading up to loveday for the weekend, feel free to join us! :D

Keep me posted. ;) could be able to make it
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nickknock on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:29 am

boycee wrote:
nickknock wrote:

Keep me posted. ;) could be able to make it

Ill drop you a PM soon :D
nickknock

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups