The Drawers Thread - Show Us Yours Here

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: The Drawers Thread - Show Us Yours Here

Postby Robby on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Another thing to remember is if you use the plywood and cut the bulk of it out as I have done, or the aluminum frame ,when using the space between the wheel arches you don't want to open the draws and things that are stored there drop behind the draws.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:39 pm

I drew it up and calculated what I needed. That way you can see what it's going to cost and there is no waste.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Cheers Robby, i'll keep that in mind.

Naff, im doing that right now, I hate maths though lol.. its doin my head in.. will be worth it though... Best thing is i found out that 1200mm tubing wont need to be cut as im making them so i have room behind the draws to mount a compressor and possibly another battery. Total cost for the tubing so far is $146, figuring out what joiners i need right now so hopefully i'll have a total cost soon :)
triton-2011

Postby alian on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Some people are using a wood replacement called Nema board. It is used by cabinet makers in exterior outside cabinets etc. It cuts, routes and screws just like timber. We have used it as a floor in our removable aluminium canopies from time to time. Could be worth a look.
Cheers Ian
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby molesy on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Looks like u would have a fair bit of ply wasted tho
molesy

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:46 pm

so this is what i have drawn up so far.. also a list of the parts needed.. if anyone thinks of some alterations please let me know.. its just a simple 2 draw system.

The square with the question mark in it is a possible add on to create and side pocket using left over space created by the wheel arch.

Click to view larger picture
triton-2011

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Added up my parts list using the prices from bunnings website and it comes to $149.30.. but thats with no ply for the top to create a floor and also no containers for the drawers.
triton-2011

Postby classy ripper on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:14 pm

I think you can get 1.8m lengths as well might work out cheaper to grab 2 of them and 1 at 450mm instead of 9 at 450mm
classy ripper

Postby triton-2011 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:22 pm

didnt think of that.. will save about $5.. every little bit helps.. thanks heaps classy ripper
triton-2011

Postby Dunga71 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:30 am

Drawers
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby alian on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:01 am

Nice work Dunga71
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Robby on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:06 am

molesy wrote:Looks like u would have a fair bit of ply wasted tho

There was Very little in ply waste the bits I cut out the centre I made boxes to fit between arches and cutlery draw.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Robby on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:08 am

Good work Dunga

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:38 am

Nice work dunga... how big is the water tank and can I ask where you got it from?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:01 am

c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dunga71 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:14 am

Naff wrote:Nice work dunga... how big is the water tank and can I ask where you got it from?

64lts mate,its a caravan tank you can get them at most dealer,i got mine from Rays Outdoors for $50.00
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby triton-2011 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Ok so today i had a crack and totally surprised myself.. i went to bunnings and decided to get afew sheets of 12mm Ply afew other bits and pieces and started making me some drawers :) ... here is some progress pics so far.

Ply cut to size.

Very basic layout.

The back i have made into a box.

Still have wings down the sides and also instead of carpeting it, saving abit more $$ by just painting it gloss black.

Thanks to everyone for helping out, i will post the end result when i get time to finish it all.
triton-2011

Postby Chef_Dave on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Hey guys, has anyone had any experience good or bad with teflon slides?
Cheers
Dave
I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
Chef_Dave

Postby Robby on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:55 pm

Chef_Dave wrote:Hey guys, has anyone had any experience good or bad with teflon slides?
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave
The slides everyone uses are HDPE not Teflon, Teflon is very expensive but a very good question we all know a well known draw manufacturer uses this to great affect and mine work very well, but when I purchased my latest runners the plastic company asked did I allow for movement as these plastic strips at 1500mm long can move 10 mm in heat and should be fitted with a slotted groove. Now he reckons that even gluing or fixing at 200 mm centres these strips will warp and jam the draws. My response was if this was the case there would be thousands of complaints . Anyway in my case time will tell and also would be interested in other people thoughts
Cheers robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Here's my outback.accessories drawers I was given, they came.in a million pieces and we're fully bent and damaged due to being in a multiple.roll over in a bt50

Took a week or so couple hours after work a night and got them.all sorted..

This is the end result, just need to finish off a few things still, but battery's in passengers side of tub under side wings, as is my fuse boxes and relays
TUFF TROOP

Postby tricky151 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 pm

I've just recently created a full size depth and height drawers in the back of my ute using HDPE strips. They seem to be working perfectly, i carry a lot of stuff in them and they do get a bit heavy. nothing I'm concerned about because once they get going its almost as if you're sliding on ice. i am currently in Canada atm, so ill have to post some pictures when i get back. I managed to use HDPE strips on the bottom and the sides of the drawers so they lock in without movement. The best part about the HDPE is I'm able to take the drawer out the full 1500mm. The tailgate also supports the drawers and if i want to remove the drawer, its as simple as pulling it out.

Will post pictures when i am back in australia, As I'm pretty proud of my work and I'm sure most of you would love to take the good and bad from my design to improve yours.

My whole design only cost around $250 for all plywood and HDPE
tricky151

Postby destorman on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:38 am

G'day crew ... as always the newtriton guru's have a wealth of knowledge shared for all. Just read this thread as we have a little, ah "project" we are in concept stages of ... more about that later.

Question for the guru's, and anyone else who would like to add their $0.02 ...

How much "down weight" would you think your DIY draw systems would handle?

The weight of the aluminium tube is appealing, we need to minimise weight of the draws for use in the "load" which is the other part of this project. But, we are unsure how much down weight they would cope with? Obviously additional vertical supports can be added, but, that weak spot could be the joiners? In the end, it's the load weight, lets say 500kg to 750kg max, spread across the whole area (think, a big box, flat base, evenly spread weight). Would the ally vertical supports and joiners cope with this type of load? What's your thoughts on down weight? How many stringers and how far apart? How far to space out the vertical supports?

Alternate is the plywood, say 12mm marine grade, but with the "stringers" run at full depth rather than cut outs like Robby has in his build. Again, what's your thoughts on down weight and how many "stringers"? How far apart if using say 12mm ply as base and top?

FWIW, the rough plan ATM is a set of three draws (i.e. so an additional stringer) in the back section, it's around 900mm deep to the wheel arches, and 1300 across the tail gate opening. Between the wheel arches, we are planning a set of 4 "boxes" with removable lids. We're also thinking to have a 12mm ply "base" so as to help spread the load. Probably 12mm for the top of the draw box too, for same reason. Frame, out of ally tube, 25x25x1.6 and using the ezyjoiners / qubelok system.

How would you build it so as to take a down weight of say 500kg, max 750kg?
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby bigjobs on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:03 am

I'm in the process of designing myself a storage system for the tub and I'll be using aluminium tube for the frame.

I was a bit concerned about the strength of the qubelok joiners, especially since I need mine to be able to handle the weight of wifey and me sleeping on top of it all.

After some research I found a company in WA who sell a similar product, but with a steel reinforced core, which seems like a much better idea.

http://www.tubeconnectors.com.au/square_tube_steel.html

Will need to buy 1.6mm tube though for those joiners to fit.

I'm still working on my design, but for load carrying purposes, I have added plenty of vertical sections to the frame. Nothing scientific to my calculations mind you, just looks like it'll be right :-)
bigjobs

Postby destorman on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:52 am

Cheers Bigjobs.

They look good.

How many vertical supports are you planning, and at what distances apart?

What about your "stringers" ... how many are you having (how many drawers) and how far apart?

What are you planning on covering your frame with? Ply? What size? Top and bottom?
Last edited by destorman on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
destorman

Postby destorman on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 am

bigjobs wrote: ... Will need to buy 1.6mm tube though for those joiners to fit ...

FWIW, some pricing and source(s):

http://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-25-x-25-x-1-6mm-3m-galvanised-steel-square-tube_p1130469

https://www.masters.com.au/product/100017969/25x25x1-6-aluminium-tube-2160mm

and, these guys, probably cheaper:

http://www.capral.com.au/australian-aluminium-centres
destorman

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups