The Story of Cage's New Triton

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: The Story of Cage's New Triton

Postby lgil86 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Hows the truck going Cage? any photos yet??
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cage on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:25 pm

lgil86 wrote:Hows the truck going Cage? any photos yet??

Thanks for asking Mate.

Picked up Monday, after the missing accessories were fitted. Just the weather-shield, bonnet protector and mats. Hmm!

I had a few hiccups with delivery, but I'll give the dealer first right of reply before I post my thoughts.

Cheers
Cage

Postby lgil86 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:27 pm

They didn't miss much then!? all the best with it, look forward to some pics when its sorted out!
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cage on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 pm

My initial thoughts on the truck are fairly positive.

Went for a run down to Wollombi yesterday and was pretty happy with the way it went, although I think the Ultimate Suspension Rear Sway Bar will be my next add-on. I seemed to quickly adjust to the turbo lag, and am sure it won't be a problem for my driving style.

A couple of minor things, easily fixed , caught my attention. Firstly, the nice shiny bull bar has some annoying sun reflections, but some 3M matte black carbon fibre film will fix that. There was also some reflection from the instrument cluster when the sun was in the wrong place, but that should also be easily rectified.

I cranked the seat right up and didn't really notice the lack of support under the front of my legs, although I had the impression that I'll soon wear a hole in the drivers door card where my right leg rests, and I'll have to get a lumbar support, not through any fault with the seat, more my old back.

I bought a Garmin 7" 2797LMT GPS Navigation unit, and was super impressed with it's warnings about School Zones and possible mobile radar sites. For me, I think it is a worthwhile accessory.

All in all, on the road, a good first impression.

Cheers
Cage

Postby mattz on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:40 am

I think I read somewhere they fixed the seats in the new model.
Do you have an adjustment to raise the base of the seat? If so the earlier models don't. ;)
Oh......I fixed the glare issue from the instruments on mine. I used a product called dust. :lol: but if you add to much you won't see the instruments at all. :lol:
Don't forget to post up some pics of the shiny new beast. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby tritonliz on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Check out these on E Bay..this is what I have decided on. The E Bay user name is sjhorsepowersmythesdale

They do fantastic rear bars which you can buy as a rear bar on it's own and then add double wheel carrier or single wheel and single fuel carrier.

This is the way I am going, when I can afford one, as you can detach the wheel and Jerry can carriers when not touring...they both swing out when you want to open the tailgate. I am thinking ahead when I do touring..

I will try to upload photos.. :D :D
tritonliz

Postby tritonliz on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Sorry, not sure how to add photos..
tritonliz

Postby Cage on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Loving the new 'You Beaut', nicknamed it 'Black Betty'.

One area that is causing me a little concern is not knowing just how much space I've got at the rear when reversing.

If I'd done a bit more research before buying the Garmin GPS I'd have gone for a model with an input for a reversing camera but as that is no longer an option it seems like my best bet is to fit reversing sensors.

As I have an ARB rear step bar there seems to be plenty of space to fit the sensors.

There seems to be two options, dear, and ebay cheap, plenty to chose from.

The Rhino, @ $134.95.....http://www.ryda.com.au/Rhino-4-Channel- ... ense4b.htm I've seen them over $300.00.

Or the ebay route @ a $24.90.......http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111105628359 ... 1423.l2649

It's only four sensors, a PCB, a plastic case, a small speaker and some wire. Don't see where the extra bucks would be.

Or, am I missing something here?

PS: I thought I'd mount the control unit behind the rear seat or on the rear window where I would be able to see it as well.
Cage

Postby Cage on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Anyone?

I really need to do something before I back into an immoveable object, or someone else's vehicle, neither an ideal target.

The other alternative, from what I can suss, is to upgrade my Garmin to the desl 760LMT which supports a reverse camera, either the Garmin BC 20 (@$200.00) wireless job, or a compatible plug in model which seem to be much cheaper.
Cage

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Frankly, I find the reversing camera more useful than sensors. Once you get it down pat you can position it anywhere, within millimetres.

Those cheap sensors use a silicone "barb" to hold them in place. The hole has to be absolutely the perfect size and smooth as or you tear the little pieces of silicone off and then the sensors fall out, which they tend to do, long term, anyway. The better ones have a plastic or metal catch and they work much better and can be removed and replaced if necessary. The better ones also have a wider lip around the outside so tend to sit in the hole and stay there. If you're fitting them in a metal bar some won't work properly - they pick up the surrounding metal and you get false readings.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cage on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Cheers Chris.

Looks like some more homework on compatible reversing cameras.

According to Garmin's website the BC 20 is only wireless compatible, and the AV-in plug is suitable for appropriate wired cameras. Don't tell you much do they?
Cage

Postby Cage on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:49 pm

About time I added a photo to this thread.

There are a few around, but this is my 'Black Betty'. It is going up on Speedy Wheels photo showroom too.

Click to view larger picture
Cage

Postby lgil86 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Looks great cage, love those wheels! I'd of liked a black one but knew I'd scratch it too much and end up heart broken!! Have u checked out the reverse cameras that display onto a replacement rear view mirror?? Might be another option for you now that you already bought the GPS.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HD-800X480-d ... 0416710692

Plenty to choose from on ebay, here's an example of what I mean.
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cage on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:36 am

Hi all.

Haven't posted for a while but I've been steadily collecting bit and pieces of recovery gear, spot lights etc.

I've been really bogged down on the most suitable set-up for me, for camping. I will only be traveling two-up so don't need a mega set-up. As I'll be doing the top end next year I've decided on a good quality roof top tent for peace of mind when camping near water. I know at times it will be a pain is the arse to pack up if I want to go somewhere, but as I don't intend to be in a hurry I can live with that.

Thought about an off-road trailer, or mounting the tent on the cab roof, which is the most practical solution, but also thinking about doing a custom set-up. I was thinking of getting a rack made up that attaches to a plate fixed to the floor at the rear of the tub with rails that bolt on to the cargo barrier. Where would I find out if the cargo barrier could support half of a 200kg load? If debatable, maybe with some extra bracing? I'm sure I've seem something similar on this forum but I'm damned if I can find it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Cage
Cage

Postby Cage on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:54 pm

I've just had a thought about how long I'll be able to hoist 30kgs odd above my head. Probably be flat out doing it now, being in my 70's.

Maybe the off-road trailer is not only the best way to go for me, but the only way to go.

Oh well, I think I may have solved my problem.
Cage

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:09 pm

There might be some ways to make that lift a bit easier. If you have a garage or car port you might be able to hoist it up and drive in under it. If that's no option something like a roof rack boat loader could help pull it up.

Not to say a trailer isn't worthwhile but it does bring extra complication and expense.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cage on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I don't have a car port and the Triton won't even fit under my old garage door.

After looking at camper trailers I've pretty much decided that is the way to go for me. I know stuff all about them other than what I've picked up from the internet but one I've seen at BCF, the MDC Off-road
Extreme Explorer V4.... http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.c ... -explorer/ seems like a pretty solid well made product. The initial set-up gives you a bed and a small enclosed room and for longer stays you have an additional enclosed annex. I particularly liked the look of the 100x50x4mm drawbar which goes back to the front spring hanger.

It has electric trailer brakes and I just checked with the local auto electrician and he quoted me 'about $400.00' to supply and fit a Tekonsha Voyager controller. Now I may be getting old but I'm not silly, yet. The Voyager is $86.00, free delivery on fleabay, and seems to be at least 10 years old.

I've read our forums on DIY fitting and I think I remember seeing mention of an OEM wiring loom but can't get my head around how this ties in with the 7 pin socket I have on my ARB rear bar. The P3 seems to be the controller of choice for most.

I guess the best thing to do is ring around and try to find someone who is not trying to rip me off.
Cage

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:11 pm

But he doesn't buy on Ebay, Cage. His suppliers probably charge him more, too. So, by the time he's put, say, a piddly 20% markup on the parts he's charging you 2.5 hours. To do it properly, remove panels all over the car, pass through to outside and seal and run out of harms way it will take him every bit of that.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cage on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Cheers Chris.

It wasn't so much the labour component I was peeved about, more the probably very outdated model he was offering me.

I'd like some more info on the OEM brake controller loom so I'll google away and hopefully come up with something.
Cage

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 pm

There's a thread here on it somewhere. Out of that 7 pin plug only one wire runs the brakes. Blue wire from memory. The mitsy loom would be the easiest way by far.

Consider also the Redarc units - much tidier looking install than most tenons has IMHO

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cage on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:58 am

Dave, I was actually looking at the Redarc gear.

Watched a video on their site for fitting the new Tow Pro and for $575.00 supplied and fitted by ARB it seems like a smart move. No skinned knuckles, no stuffed up panels, no dodgy cable joins and no hissy fits.
Cage

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Yeah I can't say I've heard of that one. I got a fairly simple one and mounted it under the centre console. All you end up seeing is the over-ride button, the dial for how strong they come on and a light to indicated connection and/or activation (red/green led). They also do a specific remote head setup where you end up with a similar outcome but with less work.

I actually bought mine at a Toyota dealer in Tumut. I was in the middle of a trip towing a float and thought my tekonsha was flaking out. As it turned out it was the float and not the controller but I preferred the redarc and gave away the tekonsha.

From the small amount of reading I did it seemed like the tekonsha maybe had a bit more science to it and gave a more graduated supply of braking but in the end I really liked the simplicity of the redarc and it never missed a beat when I was towing.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:03 am

I have the Redarc remote head unit and suits me perfectly. I installed along with the genuine Mits electric brake harness kit. Tok me a little while to install, but very neat. The new Redarc tow pro looks great as it seems to have more smarts in it.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Cage on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:21 pm

I finished up with the Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller, $380.00 supplied and fitted. Has the same circuitry as the top end models without all the bells 'n' whistles.

And this is what I needed it for.

Camel Beachcomber Off Road, made in Brisvegas, full length 'A' frame and all Alko gear. Just have to do the wiring for my fridge, CTEK D250S Dual charger and Fullriver battery and I'm set to go.
Cage

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups