The Story of Cage's New Triton

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: About to buy a new GLX. Some input on accessories plse

Postby Cage on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Tex wrote:Have you seen this thread? http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14592&p=360195&hilit=Mcc+rocker#p360195

I don think many people on here have that bar.

Thanks for the link Tex.
Cage

Postby Cage on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 pm

Thinking about this the MCC Rocker Bar seem like a much better option than the OEM bar at $800+ fitted, plus $500 odd for not very effective OEM under the rear of the tub add-on protector bars.
Cage

Re: Still doing my homework on a new dual cab

Postby rodeddy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Value for money, the Triton wins hands down.
From the factory, I found it pretty average BUT for the price it is awesome and it has all makings of a great vehicle!! .... a few mods, Blank off the EGR and have ECUTEK installed = no more lag and plenty power.
....I fitted seat spacers and lumbar support = comfortable driving...
.... rear sway bar = going around corners WAY better and no Stability control cutting in.

There are so many mods, its endless. But i found these to start-with make the car SOOOOOO much better.
My mate with his SR5 hilux which he paid WAY more for now wishes he went the Triton and with the mods done to make this car so much better, still thousands $ in front..
just my 2c worth..

cheers, Rod :D
2013 GLXR Auto
rodeddy

Re: Anyone seen this trick looking hard lid?

Postby gls_triton on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:18 pm

The ML 08 GLS Fastback came standard with something similar... Check Redbook, might be able to find one floating around a little cheaper or maybe check if EGR (I think that's the maker of canopies) make one.
Cheer's!
Kieran

2008 ML GLS "Panther"
ARB Sahara Bar | Safari Snorkel | Warn Winch | Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure | IPF 900XS Lights
gls_triton

Postby misko on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:13 pm

My mate bought the d22, He is having all sorts of troubles and is not happy. I got the Triton and I'm still sure I made the right choice.
misko

Postby Cage on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Looking, looking, looking, and thinking, thinking, thinking..........................

I'm now leaning more to the MCC Jack bar. From the pics it seems it would give more protection from underneath and corner impact.

It's a bit difficult when you live out of town and don't have a showroom to call into to have a squiz.

Anyone have a Jack bar, and your thoughts.
Cage

Postby lgil86 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:21 pm

I like the arb rear bar, not a fan of the holes in the jack bar. Arb seems the tidiest in my opinion. Just have to save up for mine :(
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scalvert on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Cage wrote:Looking, looking, looking, and thinking, thinking, thinking..........................

I'm now leaning more to the MCC Jack bar. From the pics it seems it would give more protection from underneath and corner impact.

It's a bit difficult when you live out of town and don't have a showroom to call into to have a squiz.

Anyone have a Jack bar, and your thoughts.

Ive got a jack bar on mine and the departure angle is brilliant. There's definitely plenty of protection on the tub corners and qusrters
2013 Red MN GLX dualcab
- MCC barwork, ARB canopy & tradesman rack, 3inch exhaust, 265/75R16 federal couragia M/T, MCC drawers, dual batteries,prosport gauges, 50mm lift
scalvert

Postby Cage on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:50 pm

The bank said 'Yes' today, so it's all go.

The only thing I've definitely decided on is the Ironman Protector bull bar. Still mulling over a rear bar, though I'm leaning toward the MCC Jack bar.

Having had a car nicked, I'd like an alarm fitted from day 1. I'm aware that the GLX has probably quite a good immobiliser fitted as standard but I'll feel much happier with an intrusion alarm fitted.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Cheers

Cage
Cage

Postby Cage on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:52 pm

scalvert wrote:Ive got a jack bar on mine and the departure angle is brilliant. There's definitely plenty of protection on the tub corners and qusrters

Cheers scalvert.

Just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks
Cage

Postby scalvert on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:11 pm

gives you an idea of the departure angle and how the bar wraps around the tub

Click to view larger picture

2013 Red MN GLX dualcab
- MCC barwork, ARB canopy & tradesman rack, 3inch exhaust, 265/75R16 federal couragia M/T, MCC drawers, dual batteries,prosport gauges, 50mm lift
scalvert

Postby Cage on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Great set up Mate.

Many thanks for taking the time to demonstrate with pics. It's true a picture is worth a thousand words.

Cheers
Cage

Postby scalvert on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Cage wrote:Great set up Mate.

Many thanks for taking the time to demonstrate with pics. It's true a picture is worth a thousand words.

Cheers

no worries. My triton is slightly different to most peoples as it has a full array of MCC barwork and drawers, as well as ARB canopy and roof rack & underbody protection.
2013 Red MN GLX dualcab
scalvert

Postby Cage on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Cheers.

I'm pretty happy that I've made the right decision.
Cage

Postby Belbrook on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:35 am

Congrats on your purchase
You won't regret it.

I have a Glxr and 2 things I would do slightly different.
Get a spray on tub liner and get ultimate springs straight away. Love that car
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby ronnieq on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:05 am

Hi Cage before buying a Triton and as you are a retiree I would take a serious look at the servicing costs. I have a 4 year old GLXR with 115 000 ks on it and cringe every time I have to service it . $400 to $600 for a minor $800.00 to $1000 for a major and $1400. for the 90k service backed up by $700.00 for a timing belt at 100000 ks . I wouldnt have gone near Mitsubishi when I bought it new if I had a idea of the servicing costs. We can go down the road of discussing non dealer servicing but that can bite you on the arse if there is a big warranty claim like I had lucky for me all dealer service yet the claim still took 2 months to approve. PM me if you like to discuss it further I wouldn't go near them if you have a tight budget and do a lot of Ks. Ronnie Q
I asked an old bike racer once "When I grow up if I could ride motorcyles ?" He said "You can't do both young fella !"
ronnieq

Postby sydneymark on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:20 am

from the mitsubishi website about capped price servicing...

15,000km/12 Month $295
30,000km/24 Month $595
45,000km/36 Month $530
60,000km/48 Month $530

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/upl ... ice_v4.pdf
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mIwoo on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:14 am

Thought I would do a little research to see what the service costs per vehicle are up to 100 000 kms (at this time). These are directly from the websites of the vehicles, except for the hilux where I only got to 60 000 kms. After that I had to consult my old man who has a hilux (2010 model) and seen what he was charged. The Dmax info was from another online store (http://www.240752.com.au/isuzu-ute) as the Isuzu website wouldnt give it to me. The Colorado was for first 60 000 kms and then another online servicing store. Couldn't find Amarok service costs.

Triton: $4580
Navara D22: $3785
Navara D40: $4843
Ranger: $3495
Hilux: $2579
Dmax: $3665
Colorado: $3993

Interesting. Now if you consider purchase price, warranty, other running costs... Im sure the triton come out way in front. I think the Dmax might run a close second (subject to deals). But hey... would love to see you guys prove me wrong ;-)
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby Cage on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:40 am

Really appreciate you folk taking the time to point out the things that most of us probably don't give a lot of thought to in our determinations about a new car purchase.

Looking at the MMAL website and the above figures, it would seem that the difference in service costs between the dearest and cheapest, over the 60 month warranty period, is maybe $0.50/day, or fifteen poofteenths of SFA. Certainly not enough to have an effect on my final buying decision.

Really do appreciate the input.

Thanks

Cage
Cage

Postby Cage on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:14 pm

@ scalvert

Did you fit the Jack bar yourself and if so, did it bolt on in the existing holes in the chassis without any drilling?

And you are not short on rear recovery points. :)
Cage

Postby scalvert on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Cage wrote:@ scalvert

Did you fit the Jack bar yourself and if so, did it bolt on in the existing holes in the chassis without any drilling?

And you are not short on rear recovery points. :)

I fitted the bar myself, I've got a 4x4 shop in adelaide. The bar is fitted with 16 bolts, 8 each side. You do require drilling of the chassis but is the very back which isn't a problem.
2013 Red MN GLX dualcab
scalvert

Finished my homework. Did the deal today.

Postby Cage on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:21 pm

After much procrastinating, and almost doing something really dumb like buying a Navara D22, I bit the bullet today and signed an order for a new GLX+. The '+' version gives you the rear step, 16" Alloys and leather steering wheel and gear lever covers.

I also added an Ironman Protector Bull Bar, a Safari Snorkel, the OEM Tow Bar and protector bars, a Mongoose MAP80 alarm, bonnet protector, weather-shield and rubber mats.

I've ordered a black one, and will probably ring them tomorrow and get the Paint Protection option, I've had it before on a really dark blue Patrol and it was worth the money.

And I'm pretty happy with the price, drive away, no more to pay, $33,500.00.

I can't believe I almost bought a Navara, there is absolutely no comparison in the level of standard equipment.

But, and isn't there always a 'but', the drivers seat is effing 'orrible. I'm 6' and there is absolutely no support under my right leg. It sits well above the seat cushion, and I do appreciate that it is impossible to design a seat to suit everyone.The left leg is fine with the support alongside the clutch pedal, but I'm going to have to do something about the seat. And yes, I've read all three thousand pages of the seat spacer thread, and it may be a solution.

But, the seat thing aside, I'm absobloodylutely delighted with the deal I've done today.

Gawd, how many sleeps. Can't wait to pick it up next week.
Cage

Re: Finished my homework. Did the deal today.

Postby Duck on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Nice work mate, the worst thing about getting a new toy is the wait :lol: But am sure it will be worth it, welcome to the forum. 8-)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby TheWall on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:40 pm

Welcome and congrats on the retail therapy. You'll love it. Sounds like a great deal.

Just did the seat spacer thing (@6'4) and it is like a different seat. Can't believe it took me a year to get them.

10 years in the motor sales trade led me to conclude the $$$ spent on paint protection could be put to better use elsewhere. Many disagree but I reckon you can do a better job yourself with regular shop products. Spend the dough on more fun stuff!

Matt
TheWall

Postby hvac guy on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:05 pm

have a search on paint protection and pay close attention to now for the 5th's posts he is a industry professional in paint and paint products. save your cash

congrats on your new car
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups