Moved USB stereo input out of Glovebox

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Moved USB stereo input out of Glovebox

Postby Vk2byt on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:02 am

I got sick of pulling over, to open the glovebox and change the thumb drive to different albums, so I ordered an extension cable with fascia from china, and installed in the console, just below the lid, behind and to the left of the handbrake, works great, and I can change drives easily on the move.
Click to view larger picture
Vk2byt

Re: Moved USB stereo input out of Glovebox

Postby MervinJ on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:08 am

Can I please ge a link to the pluggy thing?

Ta
MervinJ
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Zav78 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 am

Great idea !
Zav78
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Vk2byt on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:27 am

I purchased mine from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/In-Car-Marin ... 53ef73b986 but there are a few others supplying the extension, do a search in eBay for "in dashboard flush mount USB extension" when fitting the socket, I used 5 min araldite as well as the plastic retainers. The glovebox can be lowered by gently squeezing each side in, one after the other, to pop out the 2 plastic stops, let the lid drop towards the floor. Then the top black glovebox lining can be removed. The existing USB cable can be removed from the retaining clips and routed down towards the front of the console, when I plugged the extension cable into this, I held it tightly together with insulating tape, before routing under the side of the console. took about 20 minutes total to do.
Vk2byt

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 am

Nice neat solution. That will fix the rats nest of cables that I currently have in the glove box. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MervinJ on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks mate.
MervinJ
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lazarus on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 pm

It is much easier to just buy bigger usb stick.
I got over 11 000 songs on mine, no need to change usb stick for a few years ....
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby Vk2byt on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Tried the big stick, I have a 16Gb with 57 album folders, but it takes too long to connect and load the first time, because the entire contents are scanned, then takes forever to cycle through. I like to have my music in separate albums, rock, easy listening, all 70's or 80's. I'm not one not to do something, because it's easier not to. I saw a way of improving my ride, so I improved it.
Vk2byt

Postby lazarus on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:10 pm

fair enough mate
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby uhuforrest on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Vk2byt wrote:I purchased mine from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/In-Car-Marin ... 53ef73b986 but there are a few others supplying the extension, do a search in eBay for "in dashboard flush mount USB extension" when fitting the socket, I used 5 min araldite as well as the plastic retainers. The glovebox can be lowered by gently squeezing each side in, one after the other, to pop out the 2 plastic stops, let the lid drop towards the floor. Then the top black glovebox lining can be removed. The existing USB cable can be removed from the retaining clips and routed down towards the front of the console, when I plugged the extension cable into this, I held it tightly together with insulating tape, before routing under the side of the console. took about 20 minutes total to do.

Hi,
Any hints on routing the cable through the centre console? Did you have to remove any of the trim pieces?

Thanks

Roland
uhuforrest
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kingy on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Get idea.

My USB input in the glovebox never works properly. Always does back flips when I plug the iPhone into it. So I just use the bluetooth input.
kingy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kbn000 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Great idea - I think I will do this too!
I have just purchased a MN GLX MY15 Triton, after having had 5 dual cab Hilux's - loving the Triton! I am having trouble with the USB connection though - every time I start the car, the USB returns to the very top level of folders, and the first item in the list, rather than continuing from where it left off. This is a real pain, as I tend to listen to teaching mp3's rather than music, so it is forever returning to the start. I can't find any settings controlling this. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? It is the standard factory GLX stereo installed. Thanks!
kbn000

Postby OffRoadDave on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:25 pm

My my15 does exactly the same thing kbn, hoping to get the stereo replaced at the 1st service because mine skips and carries on as well no matter what stick or music file type used, but every time I turn they key off, I get the same first song after the same 2 minute load time with around 8gb on the stick.
OffRoadDave

Postby kbn000 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Oh bummer - I was hoping it was a simple setting I had missed, not a complete stereo replacement!! its a pain to have to skip every time you want to get to the same track though, so if it needs a stereo replacement I will take it in. Have you contacted your dealer about it at all? have they agreed to replace?
kbn000

Postby OffRoadDave on Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:42 pm

I haven't spoken to the dealer yet but I doubt they will replace it for the 1st song thing, mine wont play from usb without skipping which I'm hoping they will replace for this reason.
OffRoadDave

Return to Member Build Ups