Chris' new rig

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Chris' new rig

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Hey there, new to all this!
Previously owned fwd cars, either riced up or luxury (as you do at 17! Now 26), grew out of all that and decided I wanted to see more of the country so figured I'd buy a 4wd :)
Picked up a 2011 GLXR , relatively high k's but well maintained. Great colour.

Standard form it came with nudge bar, rear step, side steps, canopy, leather trim (great for these 40 degree days in Canberra at the moment :-/ ) also has roof racks and canopy racks, tub liner etc.

Click to view larger picture

Since I've had it I've installed a 14,000 lumen light bar on the nudge bar (500mm), a pretty trick led spot light setup in the tray. I love music and do fortnightly trips to Wollongong and back so it's now got a pioneer CD player, focal splits in the front, soundstream splits in the rear doors, speakers running off an infinity 4 channel amp under drivers seat, all 4 doors are sound deadened and a kicker under seat sub under the passenger seat for a bit of bass haha!

Future plans include;
Xrox front bar
Arb,tjm rear bar
Coopers/Mickey t all terrains once the current AT's die, not looking forward to the $420 a tyre price though!

Because of the cost of the rig I think I'll stick to the wider trails instead of the paint scratching tree trails haha!

I'll put some picks up of the light setup soon, I think a few people will like the idea ;-)
ChrisK.ACT

Re: Chris' new rig

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Ok so I got bored just after the last post and went and took some pics haha..
Under seat amp:

Front light bar:

Rear canopy lights:

Lights are 500 lumen floods. As you can see they make plenty of light. Wired them into the standard led light in the canopy. Very happy with them so far, plenty of use.
ChrisK.ACT

Postby Amaroo on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:57 am

Nice set up Chris, looks like it had some great accessories on it when you picked it up.

Auto will be a pleasure to drive off-road too.
Amaroo

Postby Twitch94 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:05 pm

ironbark is the best colour man! Good choice!
Twitch94

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks guys. Took it out just then for the first time on some steep stuff, easy motoring in the rough haha. Just had it in all wheel drive and it climbed everything without a care in the world it was great.

Bloody lantana trees got me a good one though, it'll all buff out though so that ok. Thought the track was wider the whole way along, started getting a bit narrow with no where to turn around :( did a uturn as quick as I could haha.

Might carry a small saw with me in future and just get out and go for a stroll to clear the branches haha.
Does anyone use the 3m paint laminate at all?

ChrisK.ACT

Postby har05l on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:35 pm

I know precious cowboy dave :twisted: used something on a trip once, wheeny perhaps :?

He'll read this and chime in ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Lol! I'm not too fussed, it's a 4b, use it for what it's for etc haha. It's just that scratches on this paint stand out like dogs balls haha!
ChrisK.ACT

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Yeah I used some stuff on a trip to coffs. It was pretty good but I hadn't thought ahead enough so while I got no scratches down the side I did still get scratches all over the roof :o :shock: now I couldn't be bothered and it looks rough as guts. It wasn't the 3m film though this was a paint on thing, road warrior or some name like that.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby har05l on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:39 am

ChrisK.ACT wrote:Lol! I'm not too fussed, it's a 4b, use it for what it's for etc haha. It's just that scratches on this paint stand out like dogs balls haha!

I do understand for a new vehicle you'd like to pride it for a while ;)

I originally was looking for white but ended up with silver for the sake of hiding scratches a little better, or at least I thought it would :lol:

In the dark category the worst I've seen is alco-holic's and borngeeks black ones, but if you had seen them drive you'd understand why they look the way they do :twisted: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:31 am

har05l wrote:
ChrisK.ACT wrote:Lol! I'm not too fussed, it's a 4b, use it for what it's for etc haha. It's just that scratches on this paint stand out like dogs balls haha!

I do understand for a new vehicle you'd like to pride it for a while ;)

I originally was looking for white but ended up with silver for the sake of hiding scratches a little better, or at least I thought it would :lol:

In the dark category the worst I've seen is alco-holic's and borngeeks black ones, but if you had seen them drive you'd understand why they look the way they do :twisted: :lol:

Best comment :D . I'll never own a black car, way too much work haha. Swirls and scratches are horrible but I guess if I'm going to use it what I bought it for then they're inevitable.

But yea because I've only had it three or four months the care factor is still there :lol:
ChrisK.ACT

Postby Duck on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:21 am

Nice looking set of wheels you have 8-) You probably didn't hear the noise of the branches scratching all the way down the ute because you have 2000 watts of audio pumping :lol:

Just get your mate to go first & he will clear out the sharp stuff then you follow :lol: :lol:

I much prefer the look of the center console over my set up want to swap Center console's ? :)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 am

Duck wrote:Nice looking set of wheels you have 8-) You probably didn't hear the noise of the branches scratching all the way down the ute because you have 2000 watts of audio pumping :lol:

Just get your mate to go first & he will clear out the sharp stuff then you follow :lol: :lol:

I much prefer the look of the center console over my set up want to swap Center console's ? :)

Haha cheers Duck, I heard a few touches but spent most of the time trying to duck and weave to dodge them!

I headed out by myself just for a sunday drive type thing, got too deep and ended up pulling the pin and heading back, had no idea where I was so at the risk of something going wrong and being by myself with no phone signal I played it safe I think.

I like the look of the top screen in your console!
ChrisK.ACT

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:29 am

Bash plates sorted almost, spoke to TJM, they can do all three for $450, waiting on basha to get back to me with their price as they just made an auto gearbox guard too! hopefully fit it next weekend or mid week once I get it!
ChrisK.ACT

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Basha Australia front, sump, auto box and transfer case bash plates are on their way! A lot of people told me it was the first mod to do so once I have them I'll take some pics and put them on :-) now the waiting game begins! Lol :x
ChrisK.ACT

Postby emjayar on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Wise move, the stock bash plates are no more than tin foil. You'll be surprised when you take them off to replace them.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Haha yea after looking at all the bash plate pics on here I thought it was a wise move. No marks on the current ones, think it was used as a city car mostly before :roll:
ChrisK.ACT

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:03 pm

Ok current update on the rig!
Now repping Basha Australia bash plates front mid and gearbox as well, TJM rear bar, 16x8+10 alloys with 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres. Very happy with how it looks and sits now, next up will be a TJM front bar and a lift kit/suspension under it.

Pics are pretty self explanatory haha.

ChrisK.ACT

Postby Amaroo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:08 pm

Looks heeeeeeeaps better now Chris.

Wheels look good!

When's the next outing?
Amaroo

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Yea looks tough now mate haha! Next up is snorkel and breathers, got a spare day sometime? ;) beer economy? haha.
I'm always keen to head out, just give me a yell whenever haha!

I noticed straight away the height difference in the rear bar and with the new tyres too. Bit of scrub on 3/4 turn but nothing my renovator on the mudguard won't fix haha! :twisted:
ChrisK.ACT

Postby krazed on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Looks the goods mate very 8-) . Dont worry about the renovator tool. when you get your lift it will be fine without scrubbing ;)
krazed

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks mate. Yea that's a good point, better than butchering the mud guards haha. Is it possible to lift it without having to fork out for new suspension just yet? Bit tight on coin after this last lot of mods haha
ChrisK.ACT

Postby jab461 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Mate those rims look great! I'm looking at getting some 16x8 rims and tyres from 17's. Did you buy these as a package? Do you mind if I ask how much they where?
jab461

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Yea they suit the car well I think. I dropped down a size as well, too expensive for me getting big tyres on 17's. I paid $2200 all up mate. Pricey but they did the bfg's for $200 each so I went with them over the nitto's they were also offering. I was going to just get the rims and get the tyres elsewhere but was too expensive in the end so I just ran with these haha.
ChrisK.ACT

Postby jab461 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 pm

ChrisK.ACT wrote:Yea they suit the car well I think. I dropped down a size as well, too expensive for me getting big tyres on 17's. I paid $2200 all up mate. Pricey but they did the bfg's for $200 each so I went with them over the nitto's they were also offering. I was going to just get the rims and get the tyres elsewhere but was too expensive in the end so I just ran with these haha.

Is that for 5 or 4 mate? I'm in Canberra as well mate, where'd ya get them? I'm keen!
jab461

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 pm

For 4. I'll have to now maybe swap someone my 17 spare for a 16 lol. Just the boys at ozzytyres tyres in fyshwick mate
ChrisK.ACT

Next

Return to Member Build Ups