M.Bas' Tractor

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

M.Bas' Tractor

Postby M.Bas on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 am

I've mentioned it somewhere I think but my L200 get called The Tractor by quite a lot of people.
Simply because it's a 2 seater and sounds like a tractor when it's cold up here in scandinavia. :lol:

It started it's life as a regular L200 DC Instyle+.
Click to view larger picture

Capable of reaching it's listed topspeed of around 170km/h on the gps. (Legally acquired on the German Autobahn)

At the moment it looks like this
OME suspension, ARB hardtop and Autohome Airtop added.
I made some more poser shots at this site but it was way too windy to camp there, otherwise I would have stayed there for the night with the fantastic view of the lake and mountains. Was fun though when getting back to the tarmac/parking where everybody was looking like: "Where the hell did he come from?" :lol:

Camping at a decommissioned militairy shooting range.
I had the best view of everybody camping there. They where camping with regular caravans and campers so couldn't go up as high on the hill as I could. :mrgreen:

The main difference with the models down under is under the bonnet.

Mine has a factory dual battery set up, RalliArt/Rallitronic chip and Webasto heater. Hence the different layout of all the stuff under the bonnet.
The grey dust is tarmac dust caused by spiked tires and the recent lack of rain.

In the cab you'll also find some buttons you guys down under probaly don't get. :twisted:
Heated seats. :mrgreen:

PTC heater. 8-)

Currently I'm waiting on a Ctek D250S to fit a third battery in the tub, I allready have a 85Ah AGM for that purpose currently housed in a batterybox that sits behind the front seats when I need it. A second AGM will be fitted later on.
I also already have a Blue Sea circuit breaker for the power cable to the tub and a Blue Sea 12way fuse box for the aux stuff. Don't have the power cables yet... the shop was out or red cable... :roll:
Can anyone suggest a nice cable route from the second battery (the one with the blue top) to the tub?
I can't fully remove the tub liner since it used to be an over the edge type which is now trimmed down to fit the hardtop. I can only slide it back approx 50cm before it jams on the hardtop mounting hardware.

Stuff on the wishlist:
- Push bar, since I can only install EU approved ones it's probably going to be a Misutonida Super Bar dia 76mm.
- Aux lights, not sure yet... most likely Hella Rallye up front and some extra reverse lights as well.
- Icelandic style flares.
- Bigger tires to fit the flares, I need new tires next season anyway.
Last edited by M.Bas on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.Bas

Re: M.Bas' Tractor

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:27 am

Nice rig 8-)

I like the factory dual battery setup. Unfortunately we have the brake booster where the second battery goes :(

What's that large silver box with the black top and coloured wires in between the motor and the dual battery?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby M.Bas on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:04 am

That would be the Webasto heater. Heats up the cooling system and turns on the ventilation so the cab heats up. :mrgreen:
All at the push of a button on the remote. Really nice when it's cold outside and you step in a preheated car. 8-)
M.Bas

Postby Crash486 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:07 am

You are very lucky to be able to get all that gear oem, I'd love some of that kit! Like the roof top tent as well - very nice.
Crash486

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:50 am

With the tub liner, does it have holes in the corners where the tie downs are situated? I found with mine that if I lifted the centre rear with a block of wood or something, and then ran ratchet straps through the rear holes and the front holes, by tightening the straps I was able to encourage it to fold up enough to lift out. I have a canopy too so a similar scenario.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Duck on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 am

Nice looking rig :D Do you have any photos of inside the tent ? :D
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Calblitzen on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:01 pm

I ran my cables down the chassis rail and into the tub via a couple of holes I drilled into the tub behind the tail lights.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby M.Bas on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:With the tub liner, does it have holes in the corners where the tie downs are situated? I found with mine that if I lifted the centre rear with a block of wood or something, and then ran ratchet straps through the rear holes and the front holes, by tightening the straps I was able to encourage it to fold up enough to lift out. I have a canopy too so a similar scenario.

The tub liner only has holes in the side at about 1/3 en 2/3, tie down points are point bolted/clamped to the top rail.

Duck wrote:Nice looking rig :D Do you have any photos of inside the tent ? :D

I don't but you can find some pictures on the Autohome website.
I added a second matress layer to mine for better sleep comfort.

Calblitzen wrote:I ran my cables down the chassis rail and into the tub via a couple of holes I drilled into the tub behind the tail lights.

I was hoping I don't need to drill any holes in the tub.
M.Bas

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:02 pm

There's a spot above the fuel filler that brings cable in near the wheel arch without drilling. Remove the splash guard above the tyre to access. It's a two person job to get done quickly as it can be hard threading the wire through.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby M.Bas on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 am

There isn't a similar hole on the other side?
I was planning on connecting the Ctek charger to my second starter battery which is on the right hand side of the car (the one with the blue top), so entering via the hole above the fuel filler means crossing over to the other side of the car. Something I would like to avoid if possible since it make the cables longer then necessary.
M.Bas

Postby insomniac92 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:53 am

Yes there is the same hole on both sides above the wheel arch. I've run cables through both sides. Run your finger on the inside under the tub lip and you will feel them.
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby M.Bas on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:34 am

I think I already found those. Damn thing swallowed half a meter of 35mm^2 cable I had laying around like it was nothing. :lol:
But I couldn't find the other end when I looked under the tub so I pulled it out again.
Last edited by M.Bas on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.Bas

Postby insomniac92 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:16 am

yeah, I think from memory when you feed the cable into the hole from the top, it needs to make a "u-turn" towards the back of the tub pretty much straight away, otherwise it disappears into the abyss. I used some CAT5 network cable to find the route, then taped the bigger stuff to it to feed it through.
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby M.Bas on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:57 am

Just spend well over 4 hours pulling tubing fro the tub to the front.

Tubing goes out the tub via the existing hole underneath the top rail, then down and to the chassis, then into the chassis rail and exits the rail near the front wheel, from there up to the battery. Just to save other people the trouble of doing it twice as I had to do, if you put the tubing/cables in the chassis, start from the front. Near the front wheel there is a boxed section that is nearly impossible to cross when feeding the cable from the rear, but when feeding from the front you insert the cable above the box section thus no problem.
Made some pictures of the tube routing which I will post later.

Since I had enough tubing and everything was opened up I also placed some tubing from the tub to the cabin using the hole in the bottom corner of the cabin.

Day well spend. :mrgreen:

If the weather is ok tomorrow I can pull the cables in the tubes tomorrow.
M.Bas

Return to Member Build Ups