Trailer Project

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Trailer Project

Postby Bilbo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Ok before you all say, "not another trailer build" hopefully you'll find this interesting and help point me in the right direction if I have any difficulties.

I hope also that this trailer build up can remain in Members Build ups because the end result of the trailer build will be a custom tray built for the Triton.

Here is what I'm thinking and a couple of pics too kick off with.

The trailer will be a combined camper/trail bike carrier. The camper being my tub, canopy, and rooftop tent as it is set up on my triton. The bikes will be located on the chassis/drawbar. (KTM 525, KTM SX65, TTR 110 and TTR 50). They will be stacked from large to small. If the need comes to travel solo without a trailer the tub etc can be easily bolted back onto the triton.

I'll start with 3/4 of an ML D/cab chassis. I've decided to go with using a chassis for ease of bolting on my tub and dual rear wheel carrier off my triton, etc.

I'll modify the chassis in front of the transmission crossmember bringing the two chassis rails together welding a plate under the rails and bolting a hitch through the plate between the rails.

I'll get the rear springs reset 3inches higher and with a 1600kg load rating. This way the trailer should ride at the same height as the triton, and will pass inspection.

I've ordered an axle with electric brakes, will have a built in 80lt water tank across the front of the tub, and a fuel tank under the trailer (position to be determined depending on weight distribution) to refuel the bikes.

This is a start, I have 101 other ideas rolling around in my head, we'll see where they lead.

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Re: Trailer Project

Postby har05l on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Look forward to this bilbo 8-)

Only suggestion is keep all receipts because if the rules are the same as NSW when you go to register it they could possibly ask ;)

Pita if after months you have to try and find everything :roll:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:17 pm

I think that with the axle so far back, and with the bikes on the front, it is going to have a heavy towball weight.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby davebo on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:27 pm

I been thinking about doing the same thing. Will be really interested to see this build progress
Famous last words.... "What Puddle??"
davebo
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Having had a chassis I thought of doing the same
Weight is a easy thing to manage with the original spare or in this build with dual tyres off the back

Use the factory tank for petrol, already has mounts, small pump or siphon
Use the area where the factory spare goes for water tank, keep the weight low

Keen to see what this ends up like
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Monkeyz on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:20 pm

Nice I'll be watching this thread with great interest....
Lots of pics I hope :)

Mojo... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Monkeyz

Postby evlids on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Awesome looking project.. looks like itll put a fair bit of weight on the towbar like the others said though..
evlids

Postby trumpy955 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Good luck with it mate. Lots of options, as said, just balance it out and you'll be sweet as.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby Bilbo on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks for the interest guys. Like 4wd26 said, water tank under rear of tub and my rear bar/ twin wheel carrier will hopefully offset the load up front.

I started to strip the old girl down yesterday. Let's says it's interesting to drive with no weight in the tub. :)
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Trailer Project

Postby Bilbo on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Ready for the tub to be removed.

I've ended up with a new mn tub to go on the back of the Triton, picked it up for $300. I know it's longer, but for us the extra storage will be good, and I reckon I have enough clearance and departure angle as it is. The mn tub will also finish shorter that how the current set up exists with the twin wheel carrier.

Hopefully this week I'll start the swap.

Let the fun begin!

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby the d on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Can't wait for this one.
the d

Postby Bilbo on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Got busy today, removed tub etc from Triton and placed it onto the trailer chassis. I've replace the ML tub on the Triton with a new MN tub. Coming along nicely.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm

I've always felt there should be more of these swaps to a bigger tub rather than the other way around. I wouldn't be without the storage space compared to the ML. Looking forward to the rest.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby the d on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Great work. Can't wait to see more!
the d

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm

hows things going with the build mate
wi53yz_4wd

Postby VALERIO on Fri May 02, 2014 11:08 am

Really interesting to see the evolution of these project. ;)
VALERIO

Trailer Project

Postby Bilbo on Sat May 31, 2014 5:54 pm

Slowly but surely.

I've decided to ditch the idea of using the whole Triton chassis. It was going to cost the same amount to reset the Triton springs and add 2 leafs as it has cost me to buy an axle, electric brakes 9leaf offroad springs with dampeners, spring hangers u bolts etc. They also couldn't guarantee the ride as the Triton spring is too long to be used as a trailer spring.

All is good though. I'm in the process of building a 100x50mm chassis and I've used the back half of the triton chassis stitch welded on to the top of the new chassis. This makes it easy to bolt the tray on and twin wheel carrier on to the back. It also acts as a good spacer to lift the tub a little so it sits more inline with the car. The draw bar has come in around the 3m mark, and will enable me to get three full sized bikes on it and a little 50 across the front.
Fingers crossed we will be able to balance it up with water tank placement etc. it will be rated for 1600kg.

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby the d on Sat May 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Looks good, but damn that is one long trailer, almost need a truck license!
the d

Postby Bilbo on Sat May 31, 2014 6:29 pm

the d wrote:Looks good, but damn that is one long trailer, almost need a truck license!

Yep it is long. It's not going to be used for hardcore 4wding, there is not too many single axle camper trailers out there that will carry 4 trail bikes. This will suit its purpose well, and it's still shorter than my boat trailer!
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby TheEscapist on Sat May 31, 2014 9:17 pm

Looks good 8-)

But two questions -
1. How are you going to tow the camper and the boat at the same time? :P
2. How do you get the bikes on the front of the trailer? Usually they run up a ramp from back...

I'll watch with interest along with everyone else! I'd love to do something like this but the better half doesnt trust me to build a sand castle :oops: let alone something that'll be dragged behind the car at 110 kph! :? Maybe she know's me better than I think!! :roll: :roll:
TheEscapist

Postby Bilbo on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:16 am

TheEscapist wrote:Looks good 8-)

But two questions -
1. How are you going to tow the camper and the boat at the same time? :P
2. How do you get the bikes on the front of the trailer? Usually they run up a ramp from back...

I'll watch with interest along with everyone else! I'd love to do something like this but the better half doesnt trust me to build a sand castle :oops: let alone something that'll be dragged behind the car at 110 kph! :? Maybe she know's me better than I think!! :roll: :roll:

1. As strange as it sounds, I did see a 4wd towing a camper trailer and then a small catamaran on a separate trailer behind that. Apparently if you have a truck license for multiple trailers and you don't exceed the max length then it's legal. Fortunately I don't plan on doing either.

2. Although it will be slightly awkward the bikes will have to be pushed on backwards, up a ramp from the front of the trailer. A small trade off for being able to take the bikes on a camping trip I guess.

Cheers Brett.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby the d on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Why don't you put the bikes on sideways so you can make the draw bar shorter?
the d

Postby Bilbo on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:41 pm

the d wrote:Why don't you put the bikes on sideways so you can make the draw bar shorter?

Yeah looked at that, this was my initial plan, however the axles on the KTM 525 sit level with the sides of the Triton tub, meaning that half the front and half the back wheels will hang out the sides. I think lengthways will be the best. Will see how it goes.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby the d on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Could you not put those 4" flares on the tub to try and make it wider?
the d

Postby Harro on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi there Bilbo,I have a camp trailer and used to put my bike ( rmx 250 ) across the draw bar all the time , bike is wider than trailer and copped a bit of stone rash but worked a treat i just used a piece of channel, only used a ramp when i loaded by myself. 4 bikes across the frame side by side front to back wld reduce draw bar length for sure. either way I'm thinking u r gonna have a lot of tow bar weight , 4 bikes at lets say 125kg each is gonna give half a ton between trailer wheels and tow ball. just my thorts , cheers Harro
Harro

Next

Return to Member Build Ups