Evlids Build thread and other inventions

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Evlids Build thread and other inventions

Postby evlids on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:06 pm

I figure it's probably about time to start up a build thread for My triton,

Bit about myself, I'm a mechanic by trade but haven't been on the tools for a fair while. As my mates say I' addicted to tinkering with everything and am a bit of a Macguyver, If I see it I can make it, or something that does the job

I picked up an 08 glxr 3.2 diesel about 6 moths ago,
The ute was set up for mine work so it came with a internal roll cage and arb bullbar.

Click to view larger picture

First this was fitting my lightbar which somehow magically mounted flush between the uprights on the bullbar.

The next day I fitted 2" lift extra weight front springs with raw shocks up front and new raw shocks in the rear. These are very soft onroad but offroad work amazingly. With the lift in on went some 275/65s and a bit of paint on the rims.

Next up I painted the sportsbar on the tray and fitted a gme tx3220 uhf that I had from another car.

Somewhere in there I picked up a snorkel from 4wdsupacentre and fitted it, never EVER EVER playing that game again. If you haven't yet fitted a snorkel my suggestion is to get someone else to do it.

Next mod was the dual battery set up. I do a fair bit of camping so I wanted to be able to make the second battery portable.. After a few late nights and a few too many beers I cam up with this:

Couldnt afford a Ark Powerpak so I went down and picked up a marine battery box ($15), and had an old jumpstarter pack in the garage that had dies that I pulled the voltmeter and heavy duty switch from. I hardwired a pair of 12v sockets ontop to plug in the led lighting and put an anderson plug on the side.

I run a switch on a VSR from the first battery with cabling back to switched andseron plug in the tray where the battery box lives. When I camp I just unplug the battery and carry it in to camp, The anderson plug also plugs into my generator to charge the battery and my inverter so I have 240v power when needed.

Once I had power sorted I wanted a fridge. Couldn't justify the price on a new waeco so I have the folowing:

50w bar fridge running off an inverter, draws about 3ah so you need to run the generator through the day and it won't take too much bouncing around the ute but once you crack an ice cod beer on the side of Fraser after camping for a week it all becomes worth it.

Next up I plan on fitting some side rails and sliders, then a RFM rear bar. Oh and an inch lift under the rear would e nice too.

I also have a crazy idea of fitting a 1.4X2m awning into the back of my hard top tonneau so you can extend it when its open. I'll post up if I get it to work.

Lastly a few photos from my birthday party at double Island point:

evlids

Re: Evlids Build thread and other inventions

Postby jt1986 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:16 pm

looks good

been there with the snorkel crappy template bit of die grinding and a realy decent drill and 3 sets of cheap hole saws later it finaly fitted nicely but next time I will pay some else to do it. lol
jt1986

Postby evlids on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks jt

Yeah thats exactly it with the snorkel.. mine is on but it aint pretty under there..
evlids

Postby hvac guy on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:24 pm

I like the idea with the fridge but if the compressor windings go to earth the fridge becomes live and u might die when u go for the next drink or even worse a kid does. Something too think about.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby evlids on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Never thought of that thanks hvac..

Generally i dont have the fridge running when in transport i just put a frozen milk bottle in to keep things cool..
I do run a spike protected powerboard from the inverter but i might look into a circuit breaker just incase
evlids

Postby viking shippy on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Hey mate running a generator to charge a battery to run an inverter to run a fridge is very inefficient ...
when you could just plug the fridge into the generator and save your battery's....
viking shippy

Postby evlids on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:14 pm

Sorry should hve explained better.. either the generator runs the fridge and charges everything or the inerter runs everything..

Its not as effective as just running solar to charge it all but tge setup was cheaper
evlids

Postby hvac guy on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:23 pm

I've been meaning to try a RCD combo power block for earth leakage a circuit breaker will only trip if over current. Same with the gen set does it have an earth stake ?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby evlids on Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 am

Haven't updated this in a while, so here' a few minor things I've done in the last few weekends.

I've wanted an awning for a while but with roof racks the Triton wont fit in the garage. I have a mate down at 4wdsupacentre who hooked me up with a sweet deal on a 1.4x2 awning and fitted it under my hardtop, it's a little narrow but works alright.

Am also headed out to Gordon Country in a few weekends time, decided hot water might convince the missus to come so I rigged up this using and old a/c evporator core from work:

Heats up water by about 20 degrees running off an old 12v shower.
before anyone brings up the obvious I spent a good week pressure cleaning the evap core to get rid of any traces of contaminants and the evap doesn't sit right on the butane burner. If anyone tries to make one of these you have to be very mindful of the ability to make scolding steam and that the evap core isnt overly heat resistant. It's not the most efficient heater but I'm cheap and the cost of a coleman scares me.
evlids

Postby evlids on Sun May 25, 2014 9:43 am

Ohh and hvac, I recently upgraded generators and in the process have made earth stakes for the fridge casing and genset, The fridge doesn't come out much since a mate bought a new waeco but still worth keeping safe.
evlids

Postby motoz on Sun May 25, 2014 10:56 am

I like the heat exchanger idea. Top job !!!
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby evlids on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:25 pm

So I've had this week of work and am headed out to Gordon Country on the weekend so been getting a few things done with the time off.

I made another hot water system, out of a keg, basic design keg to sit next to the fire but should keep everyone happy.

The pepsi funnel is only temporary until I weld a steel funned to the spear inside the keg. This way when you put cold water in it goes straight to the bottom and the hot water comes out the tap at the top.

I then mounted up my compressor behind the seat, fits in perfectly though I have to move the seat forward to connect the airline, annoying but at least I won't set the seat on fire when the compressor heats up.

Best of all The relay is connected to a remote switch I picked up off ebay for $5.00 So I don't have to run back and forwards to turn the compressor on and off when airing up
evlids

Postby Lunny on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Be a few tritons out there this weekend
Lunny
Lunny

Postby variflex on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Gee I like that compressor and awning setup, just out of interest were you down in Sydney a few weeks back?
variflex

Postby evlids on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Naah sorry mate triton hasnt been to sydney yet.
evlids

Postby Robby on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Like your awning set up, what height do you have under the awning

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Nice looking rig there mate :D

I have been trying to come up with a way to get an awning out of the back as well, but can't give up any space under the lid but like the idea 8-)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Quinny on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm enjoying this thread .... outside the box thinking ;) :lol:
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 pm

I have my ARB compressor in that spot. I got sick of moving the seat to attach the hose all the time. In the end I got a 3 foot braided hose and put the right fittings on it and then connected it to the compressor and ran it out underneath the seat to just above the rear driver's side footwell. It only just sticks out so it's not too visible but better than moving the seat all the time. I like the remote switch idea - I just rely on the pressure switch cutout with mine.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby evlids on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Not a bad idea quinny I may copy that.

Awning has about 6.5 feet where it sits at the moment but you can get it higher if you mount it further back.
evlids

Postby evlids on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:57 am

Time for an update on the Triton I think,

After spending a week at Gordon Country in June I decided it's time to get some more storage space,

A mate of mine scored me a free roof rack from his work and I started making a frame to hold it in the tray

3 weekends later and I gave up on that Idea, contacted my local steel yard and for $200 they made me a frame to fit out of 30x30 box steel. Needless to say I was devistated at the amount of time I wasted.

Here is the end result:

Next up I'll add some lighting around the rack and fit my second battery in the tray.
evlids

Postby evlids on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Ok so no new lights other than a 6" light bar on the back but scored a new 2.5 X 3 mtr awning on the weekend,
also now have a rooftop tent for a trailer build and roo 7hp winch to mount up next weekend. For now I'm trying to work out how to fit my tinnie in the tray.

evlids

Postby evlids on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Ohh I forgot, will pick up my new 2" lift rear springs this arvo, they are King spring medium loads so hopefully will flex up nice with the extra weight I've been loading onto the back
evlids

Postby evlids on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 am

OK so long time no update here, been trying to sort out too many projects at once.

No photos but I got the 2" lift in the rear, still haven't fitted the 12,000lb winch but that will come soon,

Picked up a trailer last weekend and set about building a rack to mount the rooftop tent:

evlids

Postby Crash486 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Nice job and I do like those hub caps ;-)
Crash486

Next

Return to Member Build Ups