rear mount turbo ML Triton V6

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: rear mount turbo ML Triton V6

Postby salt36 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Awesome work mate.

The exhaust should not be too bad, I think making the charge pipe and intercooler work will be harder :shock:

Love the idea of using the snorkel to provide cool air, should work well.

I think underneath would be pointless for an intercooler, there is a lot of heat under there. I tried an outside temp probe under the cab and it was a good 20 degrees warmer than ambient in summer and about 10-15 in winter.

Unless you could get it forward of the front diff somewhere...
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby turner on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:41 pm

with the temp probe salt where did you place it to get those readings?? im curious because I was starting to convince myself that between the chassis rail and side step was going to be an ok place for the intercooler and I even have two thermos just in case the airflow was not up to scratch... was also thinking of a longer mudflap on the right hand front to limit any debris hitting the cooler.

update, oil lines are plumbed up just wiring up the scavenge pump and drilling the hole in the rocker cover, also plumbed in a temp gauge sender for the transmission (not really needed for the turbo upgrade more just piece of mind).
turner

Postby salt36 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Mate I poked the temp probe through the rubber bung under the passenger seat so it is inside the chassis rails. I used the available length of wire and that was the limit.

Maybe outside the rails would be better ? Not sure, I am going to mount it next to the factory sensor up front next, when I get time to extend the wires. I can do an experiment if you like in different places underneath ?
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby hvac guy on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Go water to air that will solve all problems
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:55 pm

hvac guy wrote:Go water to air that will solve all problems

? Can you explain a bit more, I am a bit slow you see :oops:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby hvac guy on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 am

[attachment=-1]images-1.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=-1]images.jpeg[/attachment] like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Yes that could work well, now I know what it is :oops: ;)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby hvac guy on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Ive all ways wanted too make one so the suction line from the ac goes through another heat exchanger to cool the water down. A lot of work but.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Kudos to you! Loving your build.
Crash486

Postby turner on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:22 am

first and hopefully last mandrel bent exhaust I will ever make is now completed, 2 1/2 '' to 3'' after turbo, final fitment today then wrapping certain areas in exhaust wrap to minimise heat onto floor pan. I don't know how many hot spatter burnt through my clothes and shorts but it was a lot, after each one I told myself to ditch the boardies and throw on some work clothes but for some stupid reason I didn't haha,
you will notice no mufflers but after I run it today I will determine if I need one in the back or not

now this is done im onto the ally induction and mounting the intercooler, I've also started a tonne of wiring for the scav pump failure warning circuit, boost, oil pressure trans temp gauges and tidying up a few odds and ends

Click to view larger picture

turner

Postby turner on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:55 pm

another update, fitted up the exhaust and found it to be a little loud then I want so I will be putting a muffler on the dump side above the diff not too worried as I thought it would be louder, when I started it and gave it a rev to make sure the turbo spooled my wife came into the garage and gave me one of those looks like she wanted to say " sounds like shit". I quickly gave her the look of GET OUT!! before I throw something at you...... :x

problem I found today while it was running, the scavenge pump runs too quick so its creating a vacuum then the amps climb and trips the circuit, thought it was just a light fuse so I went higher and did it again then again... so I've ordered a PWM controller so I can dial the speed of the DC motor back, hopefully it arrives when I get back from work... also if anyone has any other ideas of slowing down a DC motor please let me know.

tried to get some pics of the exhaust in but due to the car being on chassis stands I cant get a good enough pic
turner

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:55 pm

You can slow it down to a fixed speed by putting in a resistor to drop the voltage, a potentiometer would give you a range of adjustment.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Good work mate looks like its coming together nicely. Not sure what your plans for the triton are once done but I'd be watching water crossings as the sudden temperature differences caused by the water will cause cracking or warping of the cast turbine housing. But other than that can't wait to hear your verdict of how it goes when its driving.
chrisdoherty87

Postby turner on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:26 am

plans for the triton, well if it works then make it as robust as possible and fabricate a bash plate to protect it, going to wrap it in exhaust lagging also, with water crossings i guess im going to take it as easy as possible through them maybe let it cool before crossing. the lagging and bash plate will in my mind assist with splash and shallow water. its all a bit of an unknown :?

i do know that if im going on a big trip im taking alot of spares :shock:

with the dual map im thinking of running one N/A and the other map running 6-7 PSI in case it all goes pear shaped and i have to remove the turbo in the bush somewhere
turner

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:34 pm

If turbo goes bad and you have an NA map you won't need to remove the turbo or anything just change the intake to the motor so it draws air straight from an air filter or something. Turbo will still spool bit won't matter as it won'tbe cconnected to inlet any more.
chrisdoherty87

Postby turner on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:11 pm

cheers thats a great idea mate i will just carry a pod filter and some pipe to suit back into the manifold and house the MAF. easy
turner

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Yeah easy and just move the MAF to the new pipe and change the tune to the na tune.
chrisdoherty87

Postby turner on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:57 pm

just spoke to the tuner and he said no problem with two tunes, he also said that if it doesnt see boost it would default to a N/A state but i will leave all that to him to work out.

so i have a PWM controller slowing down the scav pump also i have bought a adjustable delay relay to start the scav pump after say 5secs of running as the signal will come from the alternator running this will help keep the scav pump primed. alot of testing to get it all sweet will be required but im on the right track. starting induction on monday and i dont see it taking me too long so with any luck i should have it to the tuner within a week or at worst two.
turner

Postby turner on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:01 pm

gauges mounted and all working, oil pressure, boost and trans temp, the fuel/barometer,clock computer thing in the dash shit itself a few months back with the screen going mental so im not sure what the $$$ is for a new one plus it was never really accurate even the clock was fast, so I mounted everything in there

now onto the turbo side of things, ran the journal bearing turbo without a restrictor, no good, ran a 2mm restrictor still smoky down to 1mm now and its almost ok might have to try a .7 next. should've seen the ute driving down the road on the first test was a massive cloud of blue smoke and I thought "oh sh@t!!!!!!".

mapped out the piping work and have got the brackets welded to the intercooler.
been driving around the streets with it venting out under the car and you can hear it spool up around the 1900rpm mark so hopefully it makes for an interesting/fun drive once hooked up.
have started making a standard exhaust too (used 80% of the old exhaust), decided that if im going on some big 4wd trips I don't want to stress about if the turbo set up will fail in anyway, it will take me about 45mins to convert over from each other...easy.

anyways if anyone has had some experience with what restrictors to use please let me know as im getting over this trial and error phase.....
turner

Postby Crash486 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Good to see the progress . Thanks for sharing, it's a great read.
Crash486

Postby bobbyz on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 am

Mate hows the progress on your build been following this thread since the beginning. Really hope u can give new update. Cheers.
bobbyz

Postby macca002 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:53 am

I will have a Denco W2A setup available in a week or so if you're interested?
Only about 8 months old, will be coming off the GU.
macca002

Postby alian on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Who is doing the tuning for you??
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby turner on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Sorry been away at work and then took the kids out camping the last week so haven't been on it, but starting again tomorrow, mounting the intercooler tomorrow and running more induction, salt you were right about the induction it's becoming a nightmare plus I've never really worked much with aluminuim so I'm relying on freinds and favours to get pipe bent/welded etc etc, it's being mounted at the front which I wanted to avoid purely to keep it looking stock but it's an air to air cooler and the tuner said if I get it as cold as possible I will get more power from less boost,

The denco w2a cooler sounds interesting what are you chasing $$ for it mate??

The tuner is jeremy at JSB performance in paget, he came highly recommended from a few people and has been ultra helpful every step and always keen to take the time to answer the stacks of questions I have for him.
I'm chomping at the bit to get this finished so I hope to have this at the tuner asap it's really bugging me it's taking me this long....
turner

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:49 am

Mate you will be in good hands with jezza, can't wait to see results
MilkmanDan

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups