Choccoloco's Triton

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Choccoloco's Triton

Postby choccoloco on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi All, thought I better start posting now I have a Triton and about to build it up for my needs.

Bought this a couple of weeks ago (albeit a little dusty, 30k's of dirt to my brothers place) I always said I wouldn't buy another black one too, ha... this is now my 3rd Black 4wd;
Click to view larger picture
Fitted with:
- a Redarc brake controller;
- TuneIT chip with 3" exhaust;
- Nudge bar;
- Mitsu Rear towbar; and
- Hardlid with sports bar.

[boring bit….]
Just a little about me.
I've had a few 4WDs, my last was just sold, which was a 2008 Prado GXL that I had from new.

I loved the car, but space was an issue. My youngest boy has health issues but he is also wheelchair bound. Taking his electric scooter, other essential gear we were space limited. So, a combination of this and our last 2 camping trips sealed the deal for me. First camping trip with him I was overloaded, Second trip I used the trailer. The essential gear will easily go into the Triton. Had a pre-run just heading out to my brothers place & had plenty of room left over and that was with the hard lid…
[/boring bit….]

This site has been a tremendous help with my path forward with planning my upgrades and has saved me some good money. So, just paid for the subscription I think it's only fair.
choccoloco

Re: Choccoloco's Triton

Postby choccoloco on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:29 pm

First thing I bought was the suspension….why? Well, I knew what I wanted/needed and the same specs came up for sale on this site. Thanks Motoz. It's the first to buy but will be the last to go in.

After plenty of research;
Negotiation finalised with TJM I've ordered;
- TJM Bullbar with LED indicator/park lights, foglights they'll also fit my XD9000 warn winch. (get a set of "Treads" free too),
- Sidebars with brush bars (brush bars free) (I'll be fitting),
- Rear bar (I'll fit).
From ARB:
- Ordered my canopy, though if Sports Canopies from WA were over here I would have went with them. I went with them due mostly to how it's mounted. Also, got a "Club discount" and a bit more. They'll fit this due to warranty, especially with what I read about the rear windows.
- Safari snorkel, they'll fit this one too, I can't bring myself to do the drilling.
Dual Battery system:
- Will mount in the tub, most likely on the wheel arch,
- Ordered the 10m of 6 B&S,
- Bought a deep cycle & case,
- Battery switch isolator,
- Fuse block,
- Ctek 250S dual will be sorted this week,
- Rough design drawn up, plenty more to come,
Reverse Camera
- Bought from Repco, $59 with a "HD" 4.3 screen & camera. Install straight forward,
- Bought a non-mirrored camera for the front, this will be connected to a Y piece and have a 3 way switch. Standard function of rear camera, on switch for rear with diode installed, and front switch on. Will probably buy a recorder too, Have my eye on one from fleabay.
UVP
- I'm between Baysie's and Prestige (custom offroad), still waiting on finalising the info of both.
Tubliner
- Need to remove Mitsi tubliner
- Need to remove hardlid
- Ordered Herculiner….. Job for next week…
Nudge bar removed.

I've run my CB aerial cable, some power cable and a few others through the firewall.
Roof Rack
Probably going to get the Rhino tradesman rack, I like how it's mounted on the existing "track" on the roof. I did like another from ebay, but not really keen on drilling through the roof and pulling down the headliner, plus at 43kgs didn't really want that.
Fuel Tank
Stock is way too small to what I'm used to, I have to try to get to a 1000K range, not really a tourer without it, my opinion… Tossing up between ironman 125L or Brown Davis 135L, $759 or $1200…. Most likely the former.
EGR, resistor mod or plate…. Still more reading required.
Oil catch can
Headconsole
Need to refit my Lightforce XGTs
Etc etc…
choccoloco

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Geez you have been busy. If you stick with the over wheel arch battery mount option check out the brackets these guys have down the bottom of this page http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page158a.html

I don't have one but I've always thought they seemed a good idea if you were going down that path.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby choccoloco on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Geez you have been busy. If you stick with the over wheel arch battery mount option check out the brackets these guys have down the bottom of this page http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page158a.html

I don't have one but I've always thought they seemed a good idea if you were going down that path.

Thanks for the link, it's along the lines I was thinking, might save me some work.
choccoloco

Postby FRDESP on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Sports canopies from WA I ordered canopy draws and inside brace. Was told maybe 5 or 6 weeks to arrive. 7 weeks for the canopy 9 weeks for the draws still no idea when the brace kit is arriving I want and need it for roof rack and roof top tent.i can't finish the mounting and wiring of the batteries till I know where the uprights go. They have a pretty good product but the sales people don't listen to one single thing you say. The last update was the brace should have arrived on the 17th of this month. Rang him last Friday he now tells me it may be in the next container leaving on the 20th but has no idea if it's in that shipment either. Pretty average to be honest I have been quite pleasant about it but getting to the end of it really. I'm sorry to have a rant on your post but this is my experience with Sports Canopies WA
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Yeah I think they have multiple holes in them so you can adjust it to what fits your spot. I guess it does mean drilling the inside of the guard though? Hard to see how to get away without having to drill something anyway.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby har05l on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:25 am

Welcome chocco and congrats on the purchase ;)

You certainly have been busy and it's nice to see you've spent time to study and understand some of the info available to forum users and also utilise the sponsors for the savings that can be had :D

Keep the pics coming as the build progresses ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:56 am

Nice work, this thing will be sorted out and ready for anything in no time.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it around Canberra.

Probably going to get the Rhino tradesman rack, I like how it's mounted on the existing "track" on the roof. I did like another from ebay, but not really keen on drilling through the roof and pulling down the headliner, plus at 43kgs didn't really want that.

You'll need the Rhino track mounts to mount the Rhino Tradesman rack to the roof of the Triton (you are no doubt aware of this). The existing track in the roof is just a plastic/rubber coated metal strip that clips into the channel of the roof. You remove most of that strip and fit the track mounts in its place. The track mounts require drilling through the roof and despite what the instructions indicate you are better off to drop the roof lining on each side as you go, especially the side with the wiring.

I found some of the supplied rivets were too short to pass through all the layers of sheet metal in a couple of spots (I ended up using high tensile fasteners instead of the rivets for the whole mount).

Dropping the roof lining one side at a time is quick and easy, it gives plenty of room to work on the fittings if need be, also lets you vacuum up any swarf.
Amaroo

Postby motoz on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 am

Looking good so far mate. Keep the pics coming !!!

8-)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby choccoloco on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:03 pm

FRDESP wrote:Sports canopies from WA.... Pretty average to be honest I have been quite pleasant about it but getting to the end of it really. I'm sorry to have a rant on your post but this is my experience with Sports Canopies WA

That's a bugger, they were really quick with information and were really professional with our correspondence, if it wasn't for the $1000 shipping fee I may have been tempted.

har05l wrote:Welcome chocco and congrats on the purchase ;)

You certainly have been busy and it's nice to see you've spent time to study and understand some of the info available to forum users and also utilise the sponsors for the savings that can be had :D

Keep the pics coming as the build progresses ;)

Thanks for the welcome, I had to start this thread as things are starting to progress and gets a little difficult to track.

Amaroo wrote:Nice work, this thing will be sorted out and ready for anything in no time.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it around Canberra.

You'll need the Rhino track mounts to mount the Rhino Tradesman rack to the roof of the Triton (you are no doubt aware of this). The existing track in the roof is just a plastic/rubber coated metal strip that clips into the channel of the roof. You remove most of that strip and fit the track mounts in its place. The track mounts require drilling through the roof and despite what the instructions indicate you are better off to drop the roof lining on each side as you go, especially the side with the wiring.

I found some of the supplied rivets were too short to pass through all the layers of sheet metal in a couple of spots (I ended up using high tensile fasteners instead of the rivets for the whole mount).

Dropping the roof lining one side at a time is quick and easy, it gives plenty of room to work on the fittings if need be, also lets you vacuum up any swarf.

Thanks Amaroo, yeah I like using the same "track" and not going the system I looked at which go further inward by about 10cm. You make some good points about the swarf etc, I'll take that on board, still not 100% yet.

motoz wrote:Looking good so far mate. Keep the pics coming !!!

8-)

Thanks Dave
choccoloco

Postby choccoloco on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Nudge bar off in prep for bar fitment.

Resoldered/Crimped lugs on the winch, mounted ready for TJM.
choccoloco

Postby Duck on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Going hard mate :)
Makes me feel lazy :( Look forward to the build thread updates.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby choccoloco on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Duck wrote:Going hard mate :)
Makes me feel lazy :( Look forward to the build thread updates.

Thanks Duck, I just want to get it done.

Most things I know what I want from previous experience with my 4wds, so I just want to get it to at least that stage.
Some things I may be able to do better, but generally bolt on type stuff is fairly straight forward. Still have a lot of planning to do though. I don't like double handling, in particular when it comes to wiring. On this car with such tight space it'll be more important than my previous vehicles.
choccoloco

Postby choccoloco on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 pm

With the delivery of this:

It was time to make the next change.

Removed the hardlid and tub liner. Plenty of evidence of rubbing from both the hard lid and the tubliner. Saw how water can easily be trapped by finding a few rust spots.

Cleaned up the rust than onto the sanding the remaining gloss from new….

I waited as long as I could in the morning, as the fog receded I put the first coat on at about 5 degree Celsius.
After 2 coats, second coat done at night in the garage with all the doors open so sorry the shots are at night. Here how it looked.

With flash to see all the imperfections

Had a high mounted fan run overnight to help with the cold night, I knew over the next week the weather was going to be crap…..
Today the car was out with the rain, but seems to held well.

Not sure about doing a third coat, with the weather really crap this week I can't really do another coat.

This job was definitely time consuming, it's very much prep work as the was told to me by the rep. Really great service I received. I ordered it last Sunday, received a call Sunday night with plenty of explanation of using Herculiner, notification of receipt Monday, at home waiting for me Tuesday. Delivered from Melbourne.
choccoloco

Postby choccoloco on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:58 pm

The bullbar happened today….

Overall I'm currently a little disappointed with TJM. Part of my negotiation was the fitment of my Warn XD9000 winch. Well they fitted the winch but didn't fit my control box. I won't go into the detail right now, we'll be working on getting that resolved.
Any hoot, here it is dropping 10mm (535mm to 525mm):

A little loose on both the ends with the flares, I'll have to have a proper look to see how to resolve this.
choccoloco

Postby Calblitzen on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:16 am

You do need a little bit of room to allow for flex between the body and bar.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Amaroo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:24 am

Calblitzen wrote:You do need a little bit of room to allow for flex between the body and bar.

I think he's referring to the end of the flare being loose, not the gap between the bar and flare.

Most of the time you need to use Sikaflex or similar to stick the end of the flare down after the cut, the distance to the next clip is just to great to hold it firmly.

Tub looks good with the new liner, I'll have to look into doing something similar one day, I'd imagine mine has rubbed through in several spots under the hard liner.
Amaroo

Postby emjayar on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Amaroo wrote:Tub looks good with the new liner, I'll have to look into doing something similar one day, I'd imagine mine has rubbed through in several spots under the hard liner.

I agree! Looks pretty swish!

I dare say I'm in the same boat as well. I was only thinking about doing this the other day to make it easier to find these bolts in the floor of the tub that people have mentioned.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby choccoloco on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Amaroo wrote:
Calblitzen wrote:You do need a little bit of room to allow for flex between the body and bar.

I think he's referring to the end of the flare being loose, not the gap between the bar and flare.

Yes you're right, just the flare.

Amaroo wrote:Most of the time you need to use Sikaflex or similar to stick the end of the flare down after the cut, the distance to the next clip is just to great to hold it firmly.

I'll probably end up using Sikaflex or something that under the elements won't wear away too quick.

emjayar wrote:
Amaroo wrote:Tub looks good with the new liner, I'll have to look into doing something similar one day, I'd imagine mine has rubbed through in several spots under the hard liner.

I agree! Looks pretty swish!

I dare say I'm in the same boat as well. I was only thinking about doing this the other day to make it easier to find these bolts in the floor of the tub that people have mentioned.

Thanks guys, I tried to take a few photos during the process as when I was researching it was a little difficult to find some examples to reference. Those that I found, some of them were disastrous which made it a real daunting task.

Feel free to come around to have a closer inspection if you're leaning that way. After pulling off the tub liner, I knew what I was doing was the right thing for me.

If would stop snowing/sleeting/raining I could get a better look at the tub to make the decision of the 3rd coat. From feel, it seems pretty good.
choccoloco

Postby choccoloco on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Some more stuff arrived today, my garage is a little out of control. I can't stand my garage dis-organised. Doing the bedliner on the weekend consumed all of my time apart from sleep, I did about 4 hours with the family at a Camp Quality event. That's the time it took me to do the prep work and lay the bedliner.

I'll see what I can achieve this weekend, otherwise I might take a day or 2 off next week. Need to finalise my electrical design, but can make a start on the things that won't change.
choccoloco

Postby choccoloco on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Been quite busy with both family and the car.

Sorry I don't have any additional photos atm.

Did another coat of bed liner which made a significant difference.

Hopefully the winch will be installed correctly at the end of next week...

Getting into implementing my wiring. Really takes time when you want to do it right. I'll take some pics soon.

I've put the XGT's on, TJM bar has much more space nice fitting than my old ARB bar.

Was really happy today, ARB canopy went on, really nice. Awesome service today by ARB, and the canopy and snorkel done before lunch.
choccoloco

Postby krimmo on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:43 pm

hey mate just wondering how you rate that bed liner?
im looking into doing it myself..
upol, speedliner or Herculiner or maybe raptor
krimmo

Postby choccoloco on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:55 pm

krimmo wrote:hey mate just wondering how you rate that bed liner?

Sorry swyping on the phone so excuse my response.

In Canberra I had a quote for speedliner at $880. Herculiner was $295 to my door. I don't know how the others do it but if you have the time to commit you'll save your money.
When I did it, I spent a considerable amount of time in the prep work. Then when applying I continuously reviewed to see if there was any runs etc.
The 2 coats I think was border line depending on your use. When dry i used a screwdriver to try and scrape the bed liner, it gave a fine scratch but didn't flake or chip. As soon as I did the third it was a substantial change. I don't give it enough abuse to advise if the strength is questionable. Witnessing what damage the OEM tub liner did to my tub was justification enough for me.
Hope this helps. If your in Canberra feel free to have an eyeball on it.
choccoloco

Postby emjayar on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:31 pm

choccoloco wrote:
krimmo wrote:hey mate just wondering how you rate that bed liner?

Sorry swyping on the phone so excuse my response.

In Canberra I had a quote for speedliner at $880. Herculiner was $295 to my door. I don't know how the others do it but if you have the time to commit you'll save your money.
When I did it, I spent a considerable amount of time in the prep work. Then when applying I continuously reviewed to see if there was any runs etc.
The 2 coats I think was border line depending on your use. When dry i used a screwdriver to try and scrape the bed liner, it gave a fine scratch but didn't flake or chip. As soon as I did the third it was a substantial change. I don't give it enough abuse to advise if the strength is questionable. Witnessing what damage the OEM tub liner did to my tub was justification enough for me.
Hope this helps. If your in Canberra feel free to have an eyeball on it.

Didn't realise you're a Canberran. Welcome to the fold there are a number of us here in the ACT on here. I'll keep a look out for your truck but I live and work around Fyshwick so if you don't venture down that way its unlikely :)

I am enjoying seeing this build thread. Keep up the good work and I hope to meet you on the tracks one day :)
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby choccoloco on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks mjr i'm looking forward to doing a few tracks I did with the Prado to compare. But once my suspension is in. Bit of a drop with the bar/winch. Bash plates are sitting in the garage and hopefully the remaining bar work from tjm will be here next week, near a month after being advised 5 days...
I'm in Calwell but tend to go to Fyshwick to spend money...
choccoloco

Next

Return to Member Build Ups