Ian's GLXR

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Ian's GLXR

Postby alian on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi all,
I thought it was time to start a build thread as I am about to build a canopy and start using the car for what it was intended for.
We bought our MN GLXR Triton 3 years ago as it had the largest back section to carry specific sized item for work & the Kids are now way to tall ( 5'10" )for the Crewman, We were never going to mod it at all as it was our family car but about 10 months ago we ended up buying a second hand (1999) Kimberly Kamper and our life style for the week ends have changed around a bit. About 8 months ago we decided to pull the tub off, build an alloy tray and turn it into a real work ute as the liner was very limiting for carrying gear to the powder coater.Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture We bent up the head board to closely follow the shape of the cab and not to stick out too far as we didn't want to loose any vision through the side rear view mirrors. That seemed at the time a great idea until I started to draw up the canopy. The low change of direction of the head board piping meant the canopy (if following the head board) would be, 1 narrow at the top and 2 look aesthetically crappy. We have a Pedders 2" lift kit fitted with a stronger rear spring to help keep the vehicle level when carrying weight. Ended up on here after searching the egr blank set up, what an epic read that was. Wish I had only read the the last couple of pages though :) and have since talked to Tony. Last month the car went to TJM and had a Airtec Snorkel fitted(Very happy with The fit up and service from TJM Mackay :D ). I have ordered a set of Bridgestone 697 ATs, should be here this coming week and am trying to decide on a bullbar. I will leave it at that and update as the canopy comes along.
Cheers Ian
Last edited by alian on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Ian's GLXR

Postby mitzikatzi on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:56 pm

I am guessing if I have to ask for a loose ballpark figure for that tray I can't afford one.
mitzikatzi

Postby variflex on Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Gee that's an awesome looking tray, would be great for loading my trail bike
variflex

Postby alian on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:06 pm

We are in no way Tray builders, just a small (4 man) Aluminium sheet metal workshop.It would be hard to work out exactly how much it cost me, but what I can say is I would go broke building them for customers. For the amount of time that went into just bending up the head board tubes to suit the curves of the Triton you could probably buy a cheap alloy tray. Sounds a lot I know but it was never built to be a production thing.It started out to just fabricated a tray to carry gear to the powder coater and as most project go it went on from there. wanted to do something different as I wasn't happy with the normal type of head board set up that most tray builder do. I would how ever be more than happy to send anyone some more photos and some dimensions for anybody out there to have a go.

Click to view larger picture
Quick picture of the TJM snorkel, A very neat unit.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby stewart on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:56 pm

love the look of the tray.. top stuff
stewart

Postby alian on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Looking at the left side of the drawing the canopy following the headboard does look a bit crappy. The right side is tapering the angles section out 50mm it lifts the vertical height aprox 128mm and will look pleasing from the back of the car. Click to view larger picture going to do a test fold 1st before destroying a whole sheet. must say the development is interesting Click to view larger picture.
Sorry for the crappy pictures but couldn't get the screenshot off the PC up to photo bucket.
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tomasaries on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:03 am

Hey mate just woundering if u would have anymore pics of this tray, im a boily up in Tsv and have a glx triton duel-cab and wanting to make a STRONG alloy tray and this looks like a good 1, few more pics to help me along would b awsome

Cheers
Tomasaries

Postby alian on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:54 am

Tomasaries wrote:Hey mate just woundering if u would have anymore pics of this tray, im a boily up in Tsv and have a glx triton duel-cab and wanting to make a STRONG alloy tray and this looks like a good 1, few more pics to help me along would b awsome

Cheers

It isn't a light weight tray, Floor being 4mm Checker plate and the main sub channels out of 76 x 6.35 channel. Send me your email address and details you want and I will see what I can do.
Cheers Ian
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tomasaries on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:54 am

Ian just sent u a pm im only brand new to this site so dunno if it worked
Tomasaries

Postby alian on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Tomasaries wrote:Ian just sent u a pm im only brand new to this site so dunno if it worked

Will take some more pictures latter today or as soon as I get a spare min, and get it thought to you.
Cheers Ian
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Must be nice to be able to do that sort of thing yourself, not just for the savings in dollars, just to have a skill set like that is a enviable thing. Nice work if you sell 2 of those trays you could buy yourself a spare Triton just to smash up :lol:
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby alian on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Duck wrote:Must be nice to be able to do that sort of thing yourself, not just for the savings in dollars, just to have a skill set like that is a enviable thing. Nice work if you sell 2 of those trays you could buy yourself a spare Triton just to smash up :lol:

:D It is nice to have a well equipped workshop at your disposal that's for sure. What would be great is a little more time so I can finally finish some of my own projects. They seem to be staking up.
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:12 am

I got to meet the manager for ARB Mackay on Friday, Nice bloke. Thinking I will be going with a Deluxe Bar. And finally Bridgestone has landed there stock of 265/65/17 ATs in Australia. So should have my tyre this week as well. :D
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Liking the shoes on the ute. Drives way nicer than the originals, Not to much road noise either. [/url]Click to view larger picture
Last edited by alian on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lgil86 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Great looking tray mate, very tidy. 8-)
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:00 am

alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lgil86 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:46 pm

Very nice, are you planning on painting or leaving as is? Think it looks great as it is!
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:50 pm

lgil86 wrote:Very nice, are you planning on painting or leaving as is? Think it looks great as it is!

Leaving it aluminium, it is easier to modify as we change our minds. I am starting a checker-plate canopy this weekend for it.
Fitted up my new front Recovery points this afternoon after work.
Click to view larger picture I think I will need to look at a bash plate after see what the factory one is made of.
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Did a quick press up for the canopy to see how it would look with the tapered section in it.
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Where did the recovery points come from?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby alian on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Adventure Products
Richard Nicholls

159 Knutsford Ave Rivervale WA 6103
Tel. 08 9478 1147
Mob. 0439 718 555
Web. www.adventureproducts.com.au

A really nice guy to deal with. There is some pictures in the recovery points thread I think.
Cheers Ian
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:42 am

I have an ARB deluxe bar rear locker on the way, Joined The Platinum Lounge as well to see what all the fuss was about. Seems to have a very good information on it and we should support the boys that make this site possible.
Cheers Ian
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 2ENIL8 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:32 am

alian wrote:Adventure Products
Richard Nicholls

159 Knutsford Ave Rivervale WA 6103
Tel. 08 9478 1147
Mob. 0439 718 555
Web. http://www.adventureproducts.com.au

A really nice guy to deal with. There is some pictures in the recovery points thread I think.
Cheers Ian

I hope that these guys have plenty in stock, as I think they are about to get an influx of orders. If you don't mind me asking but how much did you pay for them, also when I click the link it says that the store is offline.

Cheers
Brock
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:30 am

Brock, I think it was around $250. Sometimes he is hard to get a hold because he is out 4X4 training. They do fit with the ARB bull bar but not the TJM bar or the std alloy sports bar. Made my bull bar decision a little easier.there is some more pictures of it if you scroll half way down the page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=8830&hilit=recovery+points&start=250

Cheers Ian
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 2ENIL8 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Awsome thanks Ian, will give him a call on Monday.
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Member Build Ups