MY15 GLX-R Build up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: MY15 GLX-R Build up

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:08 pm

GLX-RSilver wrote:Once it was un-packed I decided I was happy with it having the stainless steel hoops and I stripped the Bar to get new steel hoops welded in.

Why? If you were happy with it?

Concerned about strength? Those stainless hoops look to be the same arrangement as I had on my ML. They are much stronger than they might appear. I hit a full sized roo at 100km/h and the damage was minimal to the bar while the hoops suffered no damage at all.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby GLX-RSilver on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Nah only wanted to go welded in hoops as am thinking of running brush bars and am afraid that the stainless steel retaining bolts will break. So I will have New stainless steel hoops for sale soon.
GLX-RSilver

Postby Wallace on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:42 am

Can't help yourself PL, btw I presume the OTHER build is completed.
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby ratstriton on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:00 am

Starting to sound like your ml build, lots of time in the shed modifying every thing again.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-RSilver on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:14 am

Wallace wrote:Can't help yourself PL, btw I presume the OTHER build is completed.

Nah I have heaps of projects on the go atm. lol
my other project was complete until I sold the motor.
GLX-RSilver

Postby grandchamp on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 pm

GLX-RSilver wrote:I received My Everest Bull Bar today
Click to view larger picture
It was very well wrapped up.
Once it was un-packed I decided I was happy with it having the stainless steel hoops and I stripped the Bar to get new steel hoops welded in.
Stripped Bar with My LED light Bar

very keen to see how this looks when its installed!
grandchamp

Postby GLX-RSilver on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Steel Hoops welded in place, next weld in the bumperette brackets then to paint
GLX-RSilver

Postby GLX-RSilver on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Resistor soldered in place I hope I did it right
Shrink wrapped
GLX-RSilver

Postby GLX-RSilver on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Then installed my New plug in Chipset
Again very easy to install.
Waterproof case
All finished.
One word the Chip is Awesome well worth the price. Goes so well when I took my mate for a spin he wanted one for his triton and asked me to order one for him. lol
My triton is even better to drive and has so much more power now.
GLX-RSilver

Postby lazarus on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:52 pm

How did you find out about this chip mate?

Who is making it, google does not come up with anything than few ebay results.

Regards
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby insomniac92 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:32 am

lazarus wrote:How did you find out about this chip mate?

Who is making it, google does not come up with anything than few ebay results.

Regards

I'm guessing this is the place http://black-tuning.com
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:51 am

Its on Ebay, put in power box triton on the search.
They are made in Berlin Germany
GLX-RSilver

Postby lazarus on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:29 am

Thank you insomaniac.
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby Dans Tri on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 am

very interested in a follow up after a few km's with this chip. looks 8-) though
Dans Tri
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lazarus on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:39 pm

I just wonder how can it be this cheap?
Low quality?

DP chip for example is ten fold higher than this price?

Or is this German chip just at normal price and DP chip end other brands sold in Australia robbing us all this time?
lazarus

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:50 pm

lazarus wrote:I just wonder how can it be this cheap?
Low quality?

Or is this German chip just at normal price and DP chip end other brands sold in Australia robbing us all this time?

I have read that if you knew what you were doing a chip (that tricks fuel rail pressure) can be built for about $10. Not all interceptor tuning computers are the same. ECU tunes are another matter. They can have expensive licensing fees and dyno tuning time. This might be helpful in your search for knowledge here some more reading here

Would you still think this was a good product if the seller had been Chinese eBay rather than German eBay?
mitzikatzi

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:26 pm

I had a TDC module for my ML,cost $495 and it gained power as expected.
In my posts I did a test on 3 different modules on my ML including the DP module.
My mate who's a computer wiz told me there isn't much involved of building one and he has built quite a few for big trucks with huge improvements.
I was going to get him to build me one but thought it would be easier to get one already made as it comes with the correct plugs.
In my thoughts the DP module is over priced as the other modules produced the same power, but I did notice in my test I did that the DP module was better on fuel then my TDC module.
GLX-RSilver

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Below was my test I did in 2009

GLX-RSilver wrote:With the Help from one of the forum guy's who loaned me his DP Module i did a comparison test over 200kms today to see how much improvement a piggy back module has over the standard ECU.
The test covered 55kms circuit work, in gear acceleration, 0-100kph times, constant speed up a hill and well as fuel economy runs.
First tested was the DP module, then the standard triton without any modules then my TDC Module set on 7.

With the fuel economy runs i used my trip computer as a comparion and know that the actual economy figures should be between .3 and .4 litres better then what it reads as i tested the trip computer when i filled up before the test.
The trip computer was reset before each circuit trip was done and once all circuits where done the acceleration times where done. Each test was done in the same way so the results where fair and even.

The DP module returned great fuel economy as the photo belows shows.
With the DP Module i was very impressed with the power and economy and the unit looked very impressive and i like the fact that the mapping can be tuned via laptop so you can adjust the mapping to suit your driving style.
The constant speed up a hill it reached 106kph

The Standard ECU produced the worst economy on the test loop by a fair way.
[Click to view larger picture
The constant speed test showed how much better the modules did compared to standard as my truck could only reach 92kph at the same point as the DP.

My TDC was set on 7 as the supplier recommended and the economy was in between as shown below.
My Tdc was nearly as good as the DP in the hill test reaching 104kph at the same point.

Below is acceleration tests done in 5th gear between 40-60kph,60-80kph and 80-100kph they are done over 2-3 runs to get a average

DP Module Standard ECU TDC set on 7

40-60kph 9.16s 10.5s 10.02s

60-80kph 8.20s 10.43s 9.85s

80-100kph 6.75s 9.40s 6.7s

It shows in 5th gear that there isn't much between the dp and tdc modules

Next Test is the same speeds but in 3rd gear.

40-60kph 5.11s 5.82s 5.40s

60-80kph 4.72s 6.00s 4.30s

80-100kph 5.87s 6.54s 5.32s

Again the DP and TDC are close except my old triton doesn't like being rev'ed to 100kph in 3rd gear as the times show.

Next is 0-100kph done twice over the same course.

0-100kph 17.09s & 17.30s 18.69s & 18.58s 16.22s & 16.22s

The times are slow which is expected as my triton was loaded with gear as well as it had 2 people on board.
It Surpised me that the TDC was the quickest the the DP then naturally the standard ECU.

What i found with my test was that both modules where much better then standard which isn't a surpise but what is, is how fast the tdc was and how economy the DP Module was.

The DP module is a great unit and i am considering buying one as it produces good power and even better economy.

The TDC is great valve for the money but some forum guys have had realiably problems, i've only had one when i set the unit too high.

So the difference between the TDC and the DP in price is $1000 but with the fuel saving you would get from the DP Module it wouldn't take long to make up the difference.

It looks like i"ll be saving up to buy a DP module as i can tune it to my needs.
Thanks again to Wallace for trusting me enough to loan me his DP Module and i really appreciate him doing that.
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:53 pm

While it is pretty tempting to conclude the Australian prices are inflated you have to keep in mind that there are lots of hidden costs built into our prices. Your local seller has to accommodate a lot of stuff an OS ebay vendor doesn't. GST, local warranty costs, local compliance with ASIC and ACCC requirements, local support, sales, advertising and staffing costs, insurance, the list goes on forever. My personal view is that the price is still too high for what it is but there are people still prepared to pay it so good on them I guess.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby lazarus on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:05 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
lazarus wrote:I just wonder how can it be this cheap?
Low quality?

I have read that if you knew what you were doing a chip (that tricks fuel rail pressure) can be built for about $10. Not all interceptor tuning computers are the same. ECU tunes are another matter. They can have expensive licensing fees and dyno tuning time. This might be helpful in your search for knowledge here some more reading here

Would you still think this was a good product if the seller had been Chinese eBay rather than German eBay?

Mate I did some research on this company, this is just based in Germany and its not proper German company, its just some car tuning shop, owner of the company is Croatian (country that makes stuff with same quality level as Chinese, if not worse).
lazarus

Postby GLX-RSilver on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:53 am

The quality of the product cant be faulted and the resistors and parts in the module like most things would be made in china anyway. And even if it dies in 6 months you could buy 10 units at the same price for the DP unit. Is the DP unit Australian made anyway? There is the Thailand made DMS unit and I am sure there is lots more modules out there. For $150 the product is great but as they say you get what you pay for. Its like comparing all the different dual cab utes.
Most of them are made in Thailand but the prices vary greatly but they all do a similar job.
Its like why pay 50-60k to buy a Hilux or Ranger or BT50 when a GLX-R Triton does the same job. I brought My15 Triton for only 34K and the price difference adds up to a lot of diesel.
GLX-RSilver

Postby lazarus on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:20 am

I am not concerned if the unit dies.

I am concerned if the unit kills my car. I would be double thinking before placing some $ 150.00 unknown wonna be German unit from the company (which we know nothing about a part from google searches and their two different websites and google street view of the place) that does not offer any warranty on the vehicle. Sounds too good to be true.

I do hopes it works OK for you.
lazarus

Postby GLX-RSilver on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:32 pm

lazarus wrote:I am not concerned if the unit dies.

I am concerned if the unit kills my car. I would be double thinking before placing some $ 150.00 unknown wonna be German unit from the company (which we know nothing about a part from google searches and their two different websites and google street view of the place) that does not offer any warranty on the vehicle. Sounds too good to be true.

I do hopes it works OK for you.

Its fine for me as after speaking to my mate you can build them with $10 worth of parts. It wouldn't kill the car if there is any problems a engine error code would light up and if the unit dies the car would stop and its only a manner of un-plugging it and plugging the factory plug back in.
GLX-RSilver

Postby Bobojo on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:43 pm

I know some of these chips will bypass the engines safty systems and raise fuel rail pressure.. Will wreck your engine .. But if it dosnt do this then your usually safe.. We're is the thread about the resistor mod? I need to do it to my my15 mn triton ?? I can't seem to find it
Bobojo

Postby Lunny on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Lunny
Lunny

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups