MN Triton - The Ironbark Beast (Picture Heavy)

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

MN Triton - The Ironbark Beast (Picture Heavy)

Postby Adstar77 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi

Introduced myself here ( viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16776 ) so get the background there

Got myself a 2009 MN a few months ago and decided I would start a build thread.

This was the first photo I took of the car LITERALLY seconds after I handed over the money.

Click to view larger picture

As soon as I got home the canopy was removed as I don't really need it for the minute.

Now for the mods. First thing was some lighting as I don't get along well with Kangaroos :lol: Got some Narva Ultima HID's and so far I'm very happy with them.

First trip was to Lovedays, and BOY was that fun! Only problem with Lovdays is how sticky the mud was and I wondered why it was running warm :P

After Lovedays I decided that I needed some new shoes after it struggled in the mud with semi-bald A/T's. I ended up getting Achillies XMT's in 285/70/17 and so far I'm VERY happy! Plus, I get looks and comments about the tires EVERYWHERE :lol:

June long weekend came round, and it was time for our annual Robe trip like every June long weekend :D

Since Robe, not much has happened as Im now catching up with all the money spending. One thing I have been doing is cleaning. The car was a farmers car and it did lots of red dust roads. The car is filled with dust but I guess you do get what you pay for!

Thats all for now but do watch this space!!! :lol:
Bad day wheelin is better than a good day at work!
Adstar77

Re: MN Triton - The Ironbark Beast (Picture Heavy)

Postby bigjobs on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:13 pm

Holy dust!

Could maybe improve fuel economy after cleaning all that crap out... save a bit of weight :)
bigjobs

Postby Adstar77 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:51 pm

bigjobs wrote:Holy dust!

Could maybe improve fuel economy after cleaning all that crap out... save a bit of weight :)

Defiantly need some weight loss seeing the tyres cause the 2.5 to drink a bit extra fuel! :lol:
Adstar77

Postby Adstar77 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Forgot to mention future mods!

-Suspension Lift
-Custom Sliders
-Bashplates
-Snorkel
-Custom hard lid :D
-Draws
-Exhaust

and if money and time permits
-Lockers
-Tune
Adstar77

Postby Adstar77 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:07 am

So its been a bit longer without a post than I would have liked, but I don't have much control over work or relationships :evil:

Anyhow, a bit has happened since then!

Firstly I decided to ditch the standard stereo for a Pioneer AVH-X3600BT. Loving it so far and might spend some money on speakers once I settle down spending money on other things :lol: I got a genuine hood from a GLX at a good price but now just have to make a little plastic infill panel to go around the unit.

Now, one thing I haven't mentioned before, when I bought the car it had a rather nice dent in the tailgate. The previous owner decided to reverse into an 80 series cruiser :lol:

After some research and talking to a few wreckers and Mitsi dealers, I managed to grab a BRAND SPANKING NEW tub off a glx with taillights (already removed in photo) and all!!! Now I just have to cut the tubes off and get it painted! That should get done after the October long weekend.

Now for the exciting bit, I was sick of getting caught up on things and wanted a bit more height, so I talked to a few people and read through the forum and decided on getting an Ultimate Suspension lift. Thanks to Brendan for all the help in getting it sorted! I got the kit a few weeks ago, but waited a bit as I wanted to clean the diff up in the process. Do you know how hard it is, when your lift is sitting in the garage and your wanting to put it in but can't! :lol:

So I won't post any photos of the swap because thats all documented elsewhere but I did make a time-lapse video of the swap you can check out below!

The whole bottom of my car is so filthy from all the dirt roads the last owner did, and after pulling the diff out, I did have a little cry when I remembered that the rest of the car looked like that too :( In the photos below, I had already sprayed the diff down with degreaser and detergent, but you can still see how rusty and patchy it was.

I also (ok dad did it) braized a fitting onto the diff for a future breather project.

The diff went back in all nice and blaaaack with all the nice new shinny ultimate bits!

. . .and this is the final result

It is sitting a bit higher at the back but thats good for when I put the hardlid on and the draws in!

Its was sitting at (with the 33"s):

Ground to guard
L/F:922
R/F:927
L/B:968
R/B:975

and now sits at:

Ground to guard
L/F:967 (difference of 45)
R/F:975 (difference of 48)
L/B:1037 (difference of 69)
R/B:1043 (difference of 68)

While I had the wheels off, dad decided to try them on his new toy :P

Just a bit illegal :D

The next thing was a boost gauge. Got myself a VDO 30psi gauge. Now heres where it gets confusing. I put the gauge on, exactly the same as we did on the last NP Pajero we had (which is identical to the instructions) and used a hole in the manifold, which was modified under a recall that some of you may know about. If you don't know about it, basically, the boost reference sensors were getting blocked so they shifted the pickup so it was before the EGR inlet, thats what Mitsubishi are telling me anyway.

Got it all connected and in place then took it for a test drive and this happened. . .

Thats right, about 34-35PSI in 3rd!!!!!! The gauge isn't even ment to read that high! Now from what I can read from this topic (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17062&p=432982&hilit=mn+boost#p432982) its only ment to be 22-23psi. No where can I find on this forum that an MN 2.5 makes 35psi! (unless I suck at the forum search, which wouldn't surprise me). Anyone know whats going on? Ive talked to Mitsubishi, with some interesting revelations, but instead of going on about it on my build thread, Ive started a topic in the general discussion section here (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17157) so check for updates there.

That rounds out the current updates, and hopefully Ill be a bit more active on here!
Last edited by Adstar77 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adstar77

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:15 pm

Fixed your youtube embed - drop the s off the front of https and then stick the youtube codes either side and away you go.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Adstar77 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:25 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Fixed your youtube embed - drop the s off the front of https and then stick the youtube codes either side and away you go.

Cheers mate :D
Adstar77

Postby Adstar77 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Update time :D

First, the boost issue has been fixed. Read it here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17157

*SPOILER* I got a new turbo :D

While I was getting the turbo done, I also had the ABS computer replaced (had a short circuit or something like that) and the thrust bearing replaced, which was squealing SO bad when my foot was off the clutch.

Next. A few weeks ago, I headed up to Loveday 4x4 Adventure park for a weekend trip with a bunch of mates.

I made a short video of the trip, and I think you should watch the whole thing :lol: but if not, you MUST (yes must) watch between 6:45 and 7:25 BEFORE you continue reading.

So yes, it was a long, slow drive back to Adelaide.

Because it had snapped the shaft from inside the boot, I stuck the broken end back into the boot and used a hose clamp to hold it there on the way home. I actually shocked myself when it stayed put the whole way home.

So the car was out of order for a while until I got a replacement shaft from the wrecker, out of a Triton that had only done 33,000kms. While I was replacing it, I cleaned and painted everything I could so it looks brand new.

Thats about all for now, don't have much planned for the minute, as I have to wait for funding, but the passenger front will soon get pulled apart and painted black too. :lol:
Adstar77

Postby chickencake on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:30 pm

looks really good, did it the Achillies XMT's in 285/70/17 tyres rub with the standard suspension ?
they do look great though
chickencake

Postby Holstein on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Triton looks great and love the pictures of it getting dirty :)

If you don't mind me asking how hard was it to remove the canopy.
Holstein

Postby Adstar77 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:19 pm

chickencake wrote:looks really good, did it the Achillies XMT's in 285/70/17 tyres rub with the standard suspension ?
they do look great though

Under normal driving conditions, they were fine, but if it was flexing, it would just rub at the back of the front guard. I just trimmed it and it was fine. You can see in the photo below.

Other than that, the back was fine and steering was not affected. . .just the gearing :lol:

Holstein wrote:Triton looks great and love the pictures of it getting dirty :)

If you don't mind me asking how hard was it to remove the canopy.

Canopy was pretty easy to remove, I had my mum and my sister helping me so wasn't to strenuous!
Adstar77

The Ironbark Beast (Sad announcement)

Postby Adstar77 on Mon May 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Wow its been a long time between drinks!

Unfortunately, what has made me post now is this.

Yes, that is my new ride. :D

I always loved 4wding, but street machines and V8's have always been my #1. Now that I'm earning enough to own one, when I saw this for sale, I couldn't resist!

The sad part now is that the Ironbark Beast has to go :cry:

I have LOVED owning a Triton and would own one again in a heartbeat. I had some great trips with mates and even a trip with you guys!

Maybe once I get my qualifications, I'll by a new MQ Triton! :lol: (I do love the look of them)

Heres the link to the sale add for anyone who might be looking!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wynn-val ... 1077792856

So with a sad heart, it seems like this might be one of the last posts for the MN!

Cheers!
Adstar77

Postby moorey1009 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Nice ute mate,
Question bout the 33s...
How did u go fitting the spare under the tub? Any dramas?
How much did they throw ya speedo out by?
moorey1009

Return to Member Build Ups