Mannjizles 08 ML GLXR

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Mannjizles 08 ML GLXR

Postby mannjizle on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:52 pm

So I bought a 2008 ML triton to make in to a bit of a 4wd having bought the car and waiting for it to arrive I ordered and received a 2 inch lift kit ( king springs and bilstien shocks) they go in this week coming also bought a DP chip still waiting for it to arrive and also a DEA 3 inch exhaust system

Click to view larger picture

Having received it Friday I went straight into pulling off the stock exhaust but ran into some trouble with not having enough tools and room to get the stock Cat off ( which was a little bugger) anyway got that off after a little bit of WD40 help and some swearing also off came the stock side steps I much prefer the look with out them

The lift kit goes on on Tuesday along with a set of new tires ( I am still undecided if I wanna use black engine enamel paint of the rims or wait and buy a set some time in the distant future when I save enough money
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
Hope this works I am pretty much the worst with computers
mannjizle

Re: Mannjizles 08 ML GLXR

Postby mannjizle on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:06 pm

And I put it in the wrong thread :?
mannjizle

Postby Cruz06 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:07 pm

How'd you go with the exhaust? Mine bolted up great but makes a bit of a fluffing sound?
Cruz06

Postby Cruz06 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:09 pm

How'd you go with the exhaust? Mine bolted up great but makes a bit of a fluffing sound?
Cruz06

Postby mannjizle on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Cruz06 wrote:How'd you go with the exhaust? Mine bolted up great but makes a bit of a fluffing sound?

Yeh not too bad bracket that is ment to connect the cat to the bottom of the engine was to small for the screw so I have left that out but it's sturdy enough not to move also about half way Down there is a brace that goes across the car and it was just touching that and I thought it would rattle so I used some of the Fibre glass heat pad from the stock cat and zip tied it between the cross bar and the exhaust to quieten it I plan on getting a more permanent brace on there soon
mannjizle

Postby mannjizle on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 am

Before the lift and tyres hopefully be all done tomorrow
Sitting about 530 at the front and 570 at the rear
mannjizle

Postby mannjizle on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:09 am

Click to view larger pictureThe brand new DP chip waiting to be installed hurry up lift and tyres there is more toys to play with
mannjizle

Postby bushy91 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 am

Did you notice any power and fuel economy gains off the dea exhaust yet? There very affordable off eBay. Thanks
bushy91

Postby mannjizle on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Power Yeh I have noticed a little bit in 2nd and 3rd still seems a little flat in first ( definitely sounds a lot tougher) as for fuel I have no idea I received the car last Friday and had the exhaust done that weekend I haven't used a full tank just yet
mannjizle

Mannjizles 08 ML GLXR

Postby mannjizle on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm

So got it back after a couple of days (cash job so he could take his time) 2 inch lift and some new Kellys 265/75/16 om standard rims still undecided when to paint the rims maybe when I get the bull bar I might powder coat the rims and sports bar at the same time

I also installed the DP chip and took it for a quick spin it seems to have more power just have to wait a bit and see what my fuel usage is
I am a bit unsure with the placement of the chip I decided to go with the plastic on the battery box with the velcro and zip ties but If someone knows better please do tell Click to view larger picture
mannjizle

Postby mannjizle on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:08 pm

The Tyre

With the lift it went from 540 at the front to 585 and from 570 at the rear to 630
mannjizle

Postby dunney on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:53 pm

how do you find the suspension kit? I noticed that suspension kit is very cheap atm and am looking into it.
dunney

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:04 pm

hey Mannjizles,
Tri's looking sweet mate, l also got a set of Kelly's 265/75/16, running 38psi in the front and rear but will probably drop this as a bit harsh on the front, really impressed with them but they are stone collectors.

Dave.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mannjizle on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:28 pm

dunney wrote:how do you find the suspension kit? I noticed that suspension kit is very cheap atm and am looking into it.

So far so good I haven't really had the chance to test them and won't for a little bit but driving on the road seems pretty good the website bushskins helped me out a bit which was good
mannjizle

Postby mannjizle on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:30 pm

explorer.dave wrote:hey Mannjizles,
Tri's looking sweet mate, l also got a set of Kelly's 265/75/16, running 38psi in the front and rear but will probably drop this as a bit harsh on the front, really impressed with them but they are stone collectors.

Dave.

Thanks I am hoping to get a xrox soon which would nearly finish of the look I am after
And really I am running at 40psi that's what the Tyre shop that put them on said and he seems to know what he is talking about so I'll run them at this and see how I go and Yeh that's not so good
Have you had them off road much? Or much beach work?
mannjizle

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm

It's a matter for you on the chip placement but if it were me I'd try and get it up a little higher than that, and further from the filler for the wipers. You never know when you might slip and splash the bloody thing. I've seen a few of the chipit chips tucked in between the main fuse box and the side of the quarter panel. They used to supply them in a bag made of stuff a bit like a stubby cooler so it was splashproof and absorbed the bumps a bit. If you had a spare stubby cooler you may even be able to wedge it in there a bit depending on the size. Another fairly dodgy alternative is to cable tie on top of the fuse box which is where my driving light relay is at the moment :oops: :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mannjizle on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:It's a matter for you on the chip placement but if it were me I'd try and get it up a little higher than that, and further from the filler for the wipers. You never know when you might slip and splash the bloody thing. I've seen a few of the chipit chips tucked in between the main fuse box and the side of the quarter panel. They used to supply them in a bag made of stuff a bit like a stubby cooler so it was splashproof and absorbed the bumps a bit. If you had a spare stubby cooler you may even be able to wedge it in there a bit depending on the size. Another fairly dodgy alternative is to cable tie on top of the fuse box which is where my driving light relay is at the moment :oops: :oops:

Yeh it came with a bag cover like that wasn't sure what it was for but I'll have a better look tomorrow and see where I can put it
mannjizle

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks I am hoping to get a xrox soon which would nearly finish of the look I am after
And really I am running at 40psi that's what the Tyre shop that put them on said and he seems to know what he is talking about so I'll run them at this and see how I go and Yeh that's not so good
Have you had them off road much? Or much beach work?

Both beach and dirt, no mud as yet, like l said real impressed, quiet on the black stuff as well, wouldn't think so with such an aggressive tread, DocBasset has a set (different diameter) and reports the same. 40psi hey, the tyre retailers recommended to me 36psi. Drop them down to 20 for the soft sand and 30 for the gravel.
Don't worry too much about the stones, they more than make up for that in performance.
l'm guessing the harshness may be in the suspension as well, l've got a Dobinson 2" lift with a TJM T13 bar so that could account for much of it, only really notice it when cornering on uneven bitumen.

Dave
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mannjizle on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Both beach and dirt, no mud as yet, like l said real impressed, quiet on the black stuff as well, wouldn't think so with such an aggressive tread, DocBasset has a set (different diameter) and reports the same. 40psi hey, the tyre retailers recommended to me 36psi. Drop them down to 20 for the soft sand and 30 for the gravel.
Don't worry too much about the stones, they more than make up for that in performance.
l'm guessing the harshness may be in the suspension as well, l've got a Dobinson 2" lift with a TJM T13 bar so that could account for much of it, only really notice it when cornering on uneven bitumen.

Dave[/quote]

I almost got 285 75 16 but the Tyre guy said they wouldn't fit and I didn't bother to get into it and try and convince him I probably will with my next set should have by then a set of jungle flares attached to keep Em inside the guards and Yeh nice I am looking to get an xrox bar attached pretty soon so hopefully doesn't affect it too much
mannjizle

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Yer, l love the XROX bar, very tuff looking, if l had my time again :cry: my problem is compulsive buying! l did look at 285/75/16 got them to check legalities, the 265/75 was just out according to his calculations but only just, also mine are sitting just outside the front guard but not enough to attract too much attention, don't notice it on the rear as l have a tray.
Keep the pic's coming :D

Dave

explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mannjizle on Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Haha Yeh I am the same had the car not quite 2 weeks and I have already done all this and will probably do the bull bar in a couple of weeks see how I go
From there it will start to be small mods like leds in the back but I will definitely keep the pics coming I love this site!
mannjizle

Postby mannjizle on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:23 pm

A few more additions to add on

4wd supacentre dunno if they are the best products or not only time will tell
mannjizle

Postby mannjizle on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:53 am

Just got it back from TJM snorkel installed
I am not the most handy man or do I have the tools to help so I have gotten a lot of stuff done by professionals

I also got a tigerz11 pull out awning and went to see how it would go on my rhino rack turns our there doesn't seem to be an actual securing device to attach the bracket to the rack so I plan on going down to trusty old burnings and finding a metal bracket to attach it to although the awning will only go on for camping not a fan of having it on as a daily driver
mannjizle

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:25 pm

I think rhino may actually make a bracket specially for awnings? Just keep in mind that when you're motoring along at 100kmh with it on the roof the brackets will cop a bit of force so don't go too light duty with whatever you use.

Good call on the pro install of the snorkel, the TJM has a reputation for not being the easiest job.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mannjizle on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks I just wasn't confident at all with it.

Yeh I have hit a snag with the brackets I found a good U bolt that is strong enough and I am using 2 for good measure but when I put it on with the bracket downwards facing the bottom of the awning just hits the top of the door I could put the bracket on upwards but it would just give to much height to it for my liking so I am think I'll just drill the holes and inch higher then where they are in the bracket and it should just clear it I won't have the awning on permanently so just take it on and off the rhino rack
mannjizle

Next

Return to Member Build Ups