Jamo's Build of a different variety

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Jamo's Build of a different variety

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:46 pm

You guess it im building a poker table.

not just a felt covered circle on legs, im talking something that people go "hey how about Jamo's sweet as pool table" "yeah man that table is totes Rad" something like that.
i know i can just buy one, but there is no pride in that.

So im throwing it out there.
What are the essential parts of a poker table? or what would be good on a poker table
some basics i want is cup holders, no god damn legs in the way, no one likes to stradle a leg, maybe even 2 tier or a raised cushion on the outside.
i might be looking for some advice for how to build this thing too, i am person who likes to try first ive learned that is the best way to learn.

at the moment im thinking of buying an existing normal table remove its top and making my own top.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Re: Jamo's Build of a different variety

Postby Greedy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:50 pm

JamoGLXR wrote:What are the essential parts of a poker table? or what would be good on a poker table

Topless waitresses. :idea:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Greedy wrote:
JamoGLXR wrote:What are the essential parts of a poker table? or what would be good on a poker table

Topless waitresses. :idea:

i can see where your going with this.. ive added it :D . on opening night ill have to edit the photos for the site tho 8-)
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Click to view larger picture

Wow, who even knew there was such a range of options.

Is this thing going to fold away or sit there permanently? If the latter maybe a removable alternate top to protect it and repurpose it for something else. Like a table tennis table if it's huge or a dining table if it's smaller.

If it's a felt top sort of setup I'm thinking lots of scotchguard to protect against spillages.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 pm

i was thinking of a more perminant fixture i have half a double garage that is unused.
i like that pic CD, i was thinking of a having the Raise cushion, fake marble thin laminate ring then a slightly raised felt section where the cards.

Cup holders on the cushion? or in the laminate?
maybe the felt section be removable so i can be refelted after X spillages or patches appear from use
JamoGLXR

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:23 pm

kinda like this top minus the dealer section. continuous maybe not rounded either, i reckon a hex or octagon shape might be a little easier to craft.
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 pm

If you had that whole centre bit so it could lift out that might make it easier to resurface later. Could wire in some cooling for the drink holders but you're going to end up with moisture there somehow with condensation. Drain hose underneath?

Ashtrays?

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 pm

I play cards with a bunch of mates every month, the last time being last Saturday night. I'll give you some observations.

We usually play on a dining room table, which in this case was big enough, seating 8. He'd upgraded the crappy plastic cover that we've been using for the last 15 years to something like felt. That was a big plus. But it was just thrown over, like a tablecloth, so bunched up and moved, got wrinkles etc. So, first thought is the felt needs to be fixed and nice and tight.

When the deal went to someone at the ends of the sides it was near impossible to deal the cards to the player. So, round or octagonal would be better. Mounted on a round, single leg would be ideal, hard to get stability, I know.

We don't play for serious money - just 30c bets (that gets big enough if you're playing a game where there's a kitty ;) or there are a series of raises :shock: ) but that means you have change in front of you that constantly needs to be organised. So, next suggestion is somewhere to keep your float - change trays that will hold maybe $20, or something like that so you can keep all similar coins together, not in a series of little stacks that keep getting knocked over. Somewhere to put your reserve funds.

Drinks. Should not be on the table itself, ideally. As with ashtrays (not really much of an issue these days).

Height. I think that a card table should be a little lower than, say, a dining table. Not much, but more like desk height.

Watching with interest. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Yeah yeah keep them coming. I'll see if I can sketch or cad up something in the next few nights
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:43 pm

This round one has downloadable schematics which might be worth a sticky just to get the juices flowing:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/woodworking/4245406

And this one helpfully calculates dimensions for you if you go with an octagon

http://www.liljedahl.info/projects/octagon_calculator/

Cowboy Dave

Postby c-dale on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:41 am

This is a basic one my cousin built. Worked well with the 4-5 guys who played weekly games.

c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lgil86 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:23 pm

What size of tyres do u think u will get on it? What offset can u go for? Will it scrub??
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Haha "aww i dont know Will 32's fit without a lift? and what order should i do it in?"

:lol: :lol: JK bar work first gotta keep the skippies out 8-)
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Actually if you got 33s on steelies you'd only need 3 or 4 to form a good solid base. Would look like crap though and as you know the sunraysias are a bugger to balance. :roll:

Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Here is Homers poker table. Due to a significant lack of friends he places it next to a mirror wall to double the attendance figures. :P :P :lol: :lol:

small poker table..JPG

nah i got nothing except single centre leg will still need significant feet that will get in your way. Depending on how many players you need to decide on round with centre leg or post legged type in corners.

maybe a large 'base' that is around and a few inches high (but heavy) so you place your feet on it and use centre leg. :? :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:55 pm

I do have 3 spare alloys in the shed with 30" bighorns. I did think about them when mentioned before.

Haha I hope it's wide enough to play patients on? Maybe clock patience since it's so round.

I'm feeling the top will be build then braced onto the base. The base might require a fair amount of planning. It's gotta be either heavy or wide footprint
JamoGLXR

Postby Crash486 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:14 pm

You could what they do for lamps... Cast iron weight.
Crash486

Return to Member Build Ups