Maters Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Maters Build

Postby psaunders on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Mater's build!

Click to view larger picture

It's time for a build thread!

I have been lurking around here for a while but the time has come for an actual build thread. I know half of these mods have been done to death and there are hundreds of people who have covered them but now it's my turn!

As I stated in my introduction I picked the car up at Beaudesert quite a few issues there and I would avoid this particular dealership at all costs!
(Introduction can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17071)

Mater before his mods started, still sitting in the stealers yard. Why Mater? My missus gave the nickname the first time she saw the car and it's sort of stuck :)

The first mod I did was source a reversing camera! I just bought a cheapie off ebay and it works quite well which I was surprised about!

The second and most important mod I did was source some better bash plates! I can thank Buzzy for that one for providing the PDF of the bash plates which I had fabricated locally out of 3mm stainless steel! So much better than the poor excuse for bash plates that comes from the factory!

I then decided I should extend all the breathers (rear diff, gear box, transmission and front diff) and pipe them up to the engine bay just in the event of a rainy day ;)
I actually got the idea from another member here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14097

The rear breather I had to remove the white plastic cover, metal cap, spring and rubber seal, then just pushed blue pipe through the fuel hose just enough so the blue hose was poking out by about 1/4 inch, then pushed the blue hose into the opening of the breather cover and the fuel hose over the surround. I just used the hose clamps as added insurance as the hose is a bloody tight fit!

Gear box and transmission before: Click to view larger picture

Breather hose fitted:

Front diff breather hose extended:

Then mounted the filter/breather block behind the battery although the plate needed to be manipulated to bolt in place...

The UHF came next just a cheap Oricom UHF 300 from supercheap with a ground independent aerial, surprisingly it works quite well!

I just used Velcro tape to hold the UHF in place as I didn't want to go drilling holes in the plastic just yet.. it's doing remarkably well though :)

I then managed to put the first dent in mater! :( even with a reverse camera I managed to hit a concrete poll in the indooroopilly car park... :? :x :cry:

Needless to say the next mod was the ARB rear step! Just be safe, plus it gives me a decent place to recovery from! The guys out at UV4x4 Ipswich were really helpful and knew about the differing chassis widths and were happy to help me if I had any issues.

Laying everything out and getting ready to fit it.

Aligning and fitting milk crates are so handy!

Fitted! :D

Only issue I have is the recovery hitch does fit with the plastic arb cover on.. :( oh well just mean I have to take it off every time I go off-road or need to be recovered..

I was then generously offered a nudge bar and fog lights from Tuan who lived locally! A real top block!

I also got a set of 7 inch HID driving lights and a 22.5 inch led light bar from ebay which cost me a grand total of $200!

I then found out from a friend at work that the LED light bar was illegal where it was so off it came :(

Where I mounted my switches for the foglights, LED light bar and spot lights :)

Note if anyone tries to fit a standard rocker switch from jaycar they won't fit the blank hole as it's apparently not a standard size (according to the guys at jaycar browns plains) so I just had to trim the blanking plate so they just fit in using the trimmed blanking plate to hold it all in plate.

I then decided I needed to lift the factory sidesteps up by 40mm like some other members have done here, just increase the ramp over angle until I get around to getting some rock sliders...

Before:

After:

Although I did go a little over zealous with the trimming of the plastic end caps... :?

So not long after getting the nudge bar from Tuan my little brother hit a small roo and smash the lower grill of hit triton... So the plans for a front bar were accelerated and seeing as my birthday was coming up I decided to get an xrox bar on order. Three weeks later and it arrived!!! :D

I just had to wait two week for some time off before I was able to get it fitted!

The day finally came where I was able to fit it!

The most nerve wrecking part was actually making the first cut in the bumper! But after about 10 hours of taking my time and about 3 hours double checking my measurements before cutting it turned out pretty well!

So everything came off and all the brackets, washer bottle, bash plates and fog lights were removed.
The lower front grill was removed with care to give to my younger brother along with the nudge bar. To give him some protection!

Marking it up and ready to make the first cut.

Just cut enough to fit the middle section.

Then cut the passenger side to test fit the first wing..

Both sides cut.

Getting ready to finally fit it all and my little brother turns up... Asking if I can help him fix his car now the grill is off mine.

At about 8:30pm that night finally finished and Mater looks mean! :twisted: 8-)

I was a little worried that I had four bolts left over from the xrox bar install but there are no holes to be drilled and no holes without bolts... So I have no idea what went wrong there.. :?
Admittedly I am a little worried there are only 3 bolts either side holding the whole bar on maybe I was expecting more bolts through the chassis rails..
If anyone can shed some light on this one that would be awesome! :D

I'm really loving how Mater is coming along and with some luck I'll get around to getting a lift, bigger tyres and roof racks eventually.. But heading into Christmas funds could be a little scarce... :?

A big thanks to everyone on this forum for all the great mods and inspiration! A special thanks to Tuan for the generous donation of the nudge bar and fog light!
I hope there are more moss to come :D

Cheers Pete

P.s. I know some of the photos may be upside down blame photo bucket! I swear I didn't taken them upside down.... :?
And I sorry to any grammar nazis out there who may pick this apart I gave a brief read through but you get the idea :)
psaunders

Re: Maters Build

Postby triton_guru on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Coming along well mate looking very good, some big tyres would definitely compliment your other mods.
triton_guru

Postby N.T.TRITON on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Looking great ,very inspiring build, may get mine going one day.
N.T.TRITON
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonliz on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi

I have noticed that you have the same HID lights as me, cheap set off of E Bay. I had mine professionally wired up but they seem really dim. Did you just get the standard bulbs with them or upgrade as your look a lot brighter than mine? Wondering if mine were wired up right!
tritonliz

Postby tritonliz on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I like the red with black bars look.
tritonliz

Postby Duck on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Nice write up ;) Your ute looks great I love those xrox bars 8-)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby psaunders on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:45 am

tritonliz wrote:Hi

I have noticed that you have the same HID lights as me, cheap set off of E Bay. I had mine professionally wired up but they seem really dim. Did you just get the standard bulbs with them or upgrade as your look a lot brighter than mine? Wondering if mine were wired up right!

Hi Tritonliz,

From memory they were just the standard ones, the only problem I have had with them is that they take about 20-30 seconds to warm up before they get to there brightest! Before that a tea light candle is brighter and more effective! :roll:
I'm not sure if they can be wired up incorrectly? :?
psaunders

Postby psaunders on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:46 am

tritonliz wrote:I like the red with black bars look.

Lol that was a styling tip my missus gave me! :lol: Otherwise it was just going to be all red.
psaunders

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Looking tuff pete 8-) Even remembered my name let alone spell it correctly :lol:

At least the nugde bar died fighting.... :cry:
mrtuaniiex

Postby psaunders on Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:36 am

mrtuaniiex wrote:Looking tuff pete 8-) Even remembered my name let alone spell it correctly :lol:

At least the nugde bar died fighting.... :cry:

Thanks mate :D

We should definitely go for an explore up the glasshouse in the next few weeks! As I hear you are getting front and rear lockers! :twisted:
psaunders

Postby tritonliz on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:43 pm

psaunders wrote:
tritonliz wrote:Hi

Hi Tritonliz,

From memory they were just the standard ones, the only problem I have had with them is that they take about 20-30 seconds to warm up before they get to there brightest! Before that a tea light candle is brighter and more effective! :roll:
I'm not sure if they can be wired up incorrectly? :?

Thanks for that. I will try them later and see if they get any brighter as haven't left them on for that long. I am thinking of getting the X Rox bar, I have a black truck. I love the ARB Sahara Bar but not the price!! Liking the look of your truck.
tritonliz

Postby psaunders on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:44 pm

tritonliz wrote: I love the ARB Sahara Bar but not the price!! Liking the look of your truck.

Thanks 8-)

I know what you mean I spent a good few months going back and forth between the two but when the opportunity arose for me to get it I ended up with the Xrox and I'm really happy with it! :D
psaunders

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Nice build. Just what type of recovery hitch do you have that just fits?
Outback Armour make a long one.
L200Shogun

Postby psaunders on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:18 pm

L200Shogun wrote:Nice build. Just what type of recovery hitch do you have that just fits?
Outback Armour make a long one.

I picked it up at 4wd supa centre/tigerz11. It's solid enough just a touch short, but taking the plastic cap off fixes that.
I'll probably get a longer one soon enough.
psaunders

Postby psaunders on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 am

Time for an update!

Not long after I finished writing up the last part of my build thread I purchased a snorkel from 4wdsupa centre/Tigerz11 and I was impressed with the build quality of it. I mean it’s a snorkel so as long as it keeps water out of the air intake I don’t really care what it looks like but in terms of overall quality it is very sturdy!

So off with the flare!

Out with the Air box

Out with the radiator over flow

Now the hardest most nerve wrecking part! actually drilling into the body! :? i procrastinated for about 3 hours before making the first initial drill! I used some wire to hold the wiring looms out of the way just to be sure I didn’t accidentally cut them while drilling.

First hole done and test fitting the replacement air hose.

Masking up the guard

Point of no return! feeling sick with nerves right about now!

Main hole drilled!

Test fitting the snorkel just to make sure! it was going to line up correctly.

I used the template that came with the snorkel as a rough guide only! I knew from previous builds on the forum the templates were only accurate for the main hole for the snorkel as such i screwed the bolts to the snorkel then dabbed white paint on the ends and test fitted the snorkel to the main hole to mark all the other holes and as a result all the holes were drilled perfectly! :D
As for the radiator over flow bottle I just performed the mod here and fitted it back up, easy as! :)
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=12066&p=283969&hilit=overflow#p283969

Inside the guard showing the clearance

I never got a final fitted shot as I got excited and was in a rush to finish…

Not long after I purchased a plug and play resistor mod from 4wdsuplies to prevent any further carbon build up. Fitted at roughly 15k.

Then last christmas I heard of a special going at Auto one for Rhino gear and I headed down and got the rhino roof racks fitted along with a basket.

I got them to install it as I was too nervous to be drilling into the roof :?
But hey it was only about $170 or something for fitting and no stress for me! can’t go wrong with that :)

The OCD gremlins in my head then struck when i spotted this in the 'how have you wired multiple relays’ thread.

As a result i spent the better half of a weekend rewiring all the lights for the car from this

To this :)

I felt much better after that :D

And just the other week I fitted a reverse light. I will be fitting a second one on the opposite side when I can be bothered..

Just a quick shot I managed to get while over at fraser exploring the land of the Giants :) I’m quite disappointed i didn’t take anywhere near as many photos as what I wanted :(
But that’s just an excuse to go back there! :D

That's all for now. My next move will be for an ultimate lift and possibly a rhino liner to replace the plastic tub liner and if the missus lets me a set of draws for the tub :D
Just have to do that one on the quiet :lol:

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes :oops: i was always better with maths and science anyway :lol:
psaunders

Postby mrtuaniiex on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Coming along nicely pete!

How was fraser, did you go when there was that cyclone?
Everytime i go fraser i always have underbody damage :?
But im also known to drive like a maniac 8-)
mrtuaniiex

Maters Build

Postby psaunders on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:31 pm

I went on the 19th of January, I can't believe I've never been before now! I want to go back around Easter but doubt work will let me have time off :(

Lol speaking of underbody damage... Before even getting to Fraser just driving to the barge pick up point I managed to put a rather nice dent in my front most bash plate
I didn't realise it was so cut up and with the sun in my eyes I may have been a little lead footed... :?
psaunders

Postby Trentd on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:13 pm

Probably one of the nicest tritons I have seen, looks incredible! I must admit. You just kicked off a little gremlin in my head and the next few weeks I'll be re wiring my lights haha
Trentd

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:44 pm

This wiring battle that's going on is raising the bar a little each time. Makes me think I might not be able to post my setup unless I get it spot on :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby psaunders on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks Trentd I spent many an hour reading all the different build threads here that provided heaps of inspiration! :)
Lol yeah it's annoying how that happens :lol:
psaunders

Postby psaunders on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:This wiring battle that's going on is raising the bar a little each time. Makes me think I might not be able to post my setup unless I get it spot on :oops:

Dave sure you can! :)
It can't be any worse than the rats nets I made on my first run of the lights wiring! If I had had some forethought I wouldn't of had to do it a second time.
psaunders

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:31 pm

My next go will be my 4th. :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby psaunders on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Just means you've had more practice than the rest of us Dave :lol:
psaunders

Postby psaunders on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:04 am

Had Lewis at Jonlin Automotive fit a 2 inch Ultimate lift about a week ago and I'm loving the extra height and improved ride! I'm so glad I did it! :D
I can't wait to go out and test the new suspension! :twisted:

Before Ultimate lift average (I measured every few months since new so I averaged them out)

Passenger side front: 550mm Drivers side front: 541mm
Passenger side rear: 575mm Drivers side rear: 576mm

Post Ultimate lift (note this was not on a perfectly level surface, just the work car park. But they are close enough ;))

Passenger side front: 590mm Drivers side front: 580mm
Passenger side rear: 634mm Drivers side rear: 621mm

All measured with a quarter of a tank of fuel and nothing in the tray and only having done about 250kms since it was fitted. So it still has to settle properly.

Over all roughly a 40mm lift at the front and about 45mm in the rear. Very pleased! 8-)
psaunders

Postby mrtuaniiex on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

I wish mine was a bit higher.. :cry:
Im on 570 front with heavy duty coils and thats with the 10mm coil seat spacers in it.

Without the coil seat spacer it would be way low
mrtuaniiex

Next

Return to Member Build Ups