Maters Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Maters Build

Postby psaunders on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 am

Not much in terms of building more trying to tidy up lose ends.
Since the lift went in there has been the tiniest of shudder through the driveline so this morning before work I crawled underneath and rotated the centre bearing 180 degrees.
I could believe it was so simple! :) fingers crossed it's all gone now!
Click to view larger picture
psaunders

Re: Maters Build

Postby psaunders on Fri May 01, 2015 3:03 pm

Recently I did a little damage to the gear box support cross member not a week after getting an ultimate lift fitted, which caused a different vibration to the usual driveline vibration seen through a lift.

Thanks to Lewis who replaced the crossmember and gearbox supports :D

I then decided I needed to get a little bit of protection for the cross member so I bought a 4mm stainless steel bashplate through custom offroad accessories 8-)

Today I set about fitting it. It did take a little bit of planning and I found it best to remove all existing bash plates to make the job easier.
Then I used a large block of wood at the back and the tiny car jack to lift the from end up to finger tight the two bolts there. Then I proceeded to jack the back up and into place so that the metal plate that comes with it can be used to clamp to the back of the gear box support cross member. After getting the metal clamp tight and in place I loosed the front most bolts to install the rest of the bash plates as usual.
Here's some photos that might help explain.

I thought it would make it easier for oil changes if I put the middle bash plate on last, so that's what I did. Should hopefully make life easier down the track! 8-)

The gap between the xrox bar and the bash plate was beginning to bug me by this point so I set about fitting a mesh guard.

I made two brackets up that used two of the bolts from the top of the bash plate the just bent to sit just flush with the xrox bar and I riveted the mesh to the brackets.
It's not perfect but it fills the gap.

Quite a productive day considering all he rain! :D
psaunders

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups