New MN dual cab, work in progress

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

New MN dual cab, work in progress

Postby tacticaltriton on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi guys, just new to the forum but been lurking a little while.

I picked up my new MN 2.5 GLX manual dual cab the other day. This will be my daily driver and camping / fishing rig.

So far, it's got 18X8 King's Daytona alloys with 265/60 Dick Cepek Trail Country rubber, Safari snorkel, Opposite Lock steel bar, Mitubishi towbar (didn't want a rear step bar) and the factory sidesteps.

Click to view larger picture

Ironman tub liner should be here next week, from there I'll be fitting some more lights (maybe a 240W 20" light bar), some decent seat covers, mats, and a dashmat and steering wheel cover to keep everything in top nick. I'm thinking of making up a rear protection bar that fits the towbar when the towball tongue's not in it, to keep traffic retards at bay and for protection when reversing. :D Window tinting's on the list too.

Also considering some rear bar work and a removeable soft canopy for camping trips etc.

Cheers
tacticaltriton

Re: New MN dual cab, work in progress

Postby Booger on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Look'n good.
A sports Bar would look even better.... give me a pm If you are interested, as I have a spare new one that came with the canopy just lying around.
Booger

Postby tacticaltriton on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:44 am

Ta mate.

I'm looking at maybe basing my soft canopy on some polished ladder racks or similar, so will have a fat bar front and rear preferably with the rear bar removeable.

Still deciding on a light bar - any have any recommendations?
tacticaltriton

Postby tacticaltriton on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Got my Ironman tub liner in - as I wanted to leave the head board in, there was a bit of cutting so the liner would fit in around the head board. The Ozito dremel with a cutting disc came in very handy...

Ironman were very coy with fitting instructions and recommendations - in fact there were none with the liner, and appear to be none on their website. I've put several layers of gaffer tape under any contact points to minimise rubbing. Also, the existing tailgate screws were about 10mm too short to hold the tailgate panel in place.

One big rubber mat in the back will keep the dog happy.

Now looking at basic frame designs for the back, then I'll consider my options as to vinyl canopies. Reckon I can nut out something that just slides into the tub and can be tied in with straps, so I don't need to drill etc.

My old D22 had an alloy tray with a big arse cage, dog cage and gas lift doors. Not going down that route again.
tacticaltriton

Postby tacticaltriton on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:26 am

Narva Ultima 225 50w HID's installed.

Plug and play EGR blanker fitted.

Next step is a frame for a removeable PVC tarp, probably black in colour. BUT the over rail liner has turned out to be a poisoned chalice as it's going to make it next to impossible to mount the frame solidly to the tub lip without major headaches.

:x

Options - pull liner out, build and mount frame and cut liner to under rail style. I'll lose all tie down points but this won't be a huge big deal for me really.

OR - pull liner out and flog it off and go with something else.

My tub's only used for camping gear and such, not loads of dirt, bricks, toxic waste, steel offcuts or horse shit. :lol:
tacticaltriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:44 am

Are the tie down points the silver clamp on ones? If they are can you put up a photo or two? I got given one but haven't been able to mount it - maybe because I don't have a tub liner.

That plate under the lights came out nicely. Very tidy.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby tacticaltriton on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:50 pm

Tub liner's going - I got sick of trying to work out how I was going to build my steel canopy frame around it.

Today I started on the frame, will mostly be 30mm gal SHS, front hoop will fit around the head board. Will be painted black when finished, maybe dressed up with some ally checker plate.

$86 in steel. :D
tacticaltriton

Postby tacticaltriton on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Got a big dilemma.

I want to build a frame for a soft PVC canopy, to go on the tub. I had hoped to build a front hoop to go over the headboard to avoid cutting that off, but TBH it would be a big PITA to get it all lined up square and neat.

So it looks like the headboard might have to be chopped off.

The other option is to just bite the bullet and put a tray on - it's money I don't know if I need to spend, for a recreational truck that will be used only a few times a year with the canopy on.

I'm looking at 3K for a locally made steel tray with basic soft canopy kit. Then of course the cost of a tarp..

Alloy tray would be around $1600 to $2k....and TBH all the alloy trays seem to be 1800 long or longer, which is too frigging long IMO.

Decisions, decisions.
tacticaltriton

Postby Joel on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:49 pm

I was going through the same thing till decided a hard canopy looked like the best option. 1500 bucks later on gumtree and i found an arb canopy with heavy duty racks and have never looked back. There is always new ones coming up and luckly white seams to be the most abundant colour.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby tacticaltriton on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Considered a 'glass canopy but it essentially turns a ute into a station wagon and at times I shoot from the back of the ute, so not an option.
tacticaltriton

Postby Joel on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Bummer i was against it at first being that i use my ute for work every day but i now find it more useful than ever. Would make it hard to shoot from. I have seen someone looking to swap tray and canvis canopy for tub and glass canopy before. Worth keeping an eye out on second hand its amazing what can be found out there.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby tacticaltriton on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:54 am

Chopped the headboard off today, soft canopy frame will have its own, complete with a PROPER mesh rear window guard for when she's loaded to the gunwales. :)

Areas of bare metal that were exposed were smoothed a bit, cleaned and then etch primed and painted with a good quality stark white rattlecan. :D

There will be some aluminium channel or angle over it anyway, but to be doubly sure no rust commences and seeps out.
tacticaltriton

Postby Scoot on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi TicTac, I'm new too, first post actually. Just reading your build up, I have a 12 month old dual cab with a tub and struggled with what to do with the tray. I ended up with a tool box 1200 x 800 with a checker plate look secured to the drivers side. Everything is accessible and still have over half of the tray to use for other storage. Keen to have a look at the finished product. ☺️
Scoot

Postby tacticaltriton on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Made and fitted some aluminium angle tub lip guards, to protect the top lip when things are getting put in, out, etc. Will also protect the lip a bit when I fit my frame up for the soft canopy.

These are held on with some Bear double sided trim tape, and this shit is like a magnet, it's STICKY! Inside has some adhesive sealant to stop rattling / galling and some dome headed screws.

It polished to a nice satin finish. I wanted prop or tread plate finish but it'd be a matter of having to get it cut and folded.

Just need to get some 50mm angle for the front lip, where the head board used to be.
tacticaltriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Looks good mate, I like that. I bought some special thick 3m clear protective tape a few years back to put across the top of the tailgate for that reason. Sadly it is still in its packet in a box somewhere and now there isn't as much paint on the top of the tailgate to protect anyway. :cry:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby tacticaltriton on Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:19 pm

The paint certainly marks easy. My last truck had an alloy tray, and all this worrying about scratching the back end is new to me!
tacticaltriton

Postby tacticaltriton on Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Did some work on the headboard end of the frame for my soft canopy.

Fun and games getting the angles and fitup right....

It will have a mesh window protector. The old farmer's bar came off, they are good for nothing anyway...

Just need to finish the rear hoop, then add the spreader bars, clean up and paint. Prolly black hammertone or similar.

Canopy itself will be PVC truck tarp stuff, probably black, though I saw one the other day that was Auscam, which would be MOAR tactical. :D
tacticaltriton

Postby baito on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:23 pm

Looks good mate[THUMBS UP SIGN]
baito

Postby tacticaltriton on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:22 pm

Rear hoop done.

tacticaltriton

Postby als1200 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:52 am

Looking good.
I got rid of my ute liner as well. Great move.
Like the lip protectors.
als1200

Postby tacticaltriton on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 am

Ta mate. It was a cheap and easy mod that one.
tacticaltriton

Postby Sav on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Love it

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk
Sav

Postby flatcountrymick on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Are you going to run 2 sets of rubber for moar grip in the paddocks? Those dc's are great roadies but shit off-road, especially sambar country :lol:

Any update on the egr blaker, particularly RE services?
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Postby tacticaltriton on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:40 am

No mate. Never really mud bash. Or hunt sambar... :lol:

I fitted the SPV Industries EGR module. :)
tacticaltriton

Postby tacticaltriton on Sun May 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Pretty much finished the cutting and welding for my PVC canopy frame.

I have decided that welding tubing shits me to tears...

tacticaltriton

Next

Return to Member Build Ups