Jimmy's Little Truck

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Jimmy's Little Truck

Postby mickkk on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:47 pm

triton_guru wrote:
mickkk wrote:
triton_guru wrote:Looks good mate, where did you find the intercooler piping? Definitely attract some attention but 4wds are becoming alot more main stream so soon enough 4wds will be the new skylines etc and i dont know a single 4wder who's car isn't illegal :lol: Not saying you should do all the illegal stuff haha be careful with the wheel spacers I heard of a bloke shearing the wheel studs on the spacer and will over took him and when they looked into the spacers the studs weren't even a high grade haha, not to mention in not sure how they do if your towing? But hey bloody nice truck and very quick build haha ps spray paint the strut spacers black haha try and hide them a little bit ;)

My truck is legal..... Well apart from the smashed rear number plate light which will soon be fixed.
But I'm sure the fella hasn't come here to get lectured about the legalities of his truck, however cd makes a good point on blurring your number plate, you never know.
Also if you want to save a few bucks I wouldn't bother paying for insurance, as it will be all in vain and you will have no chance of any pay out, not to mention if you take our a shiny merc or something.

Haha I'm sure it is mate just like mine is :)

I live in a state ( territory ) where the law, like most things are from about 30 years ago, I'm not saying it's vastly different to most, I just figure if they are going to make realistic laws I mose we'll comply with them.
mickkk

Postby srb on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:19 pm

I too like the custom intercooler pipe work. ;-)
What did you do with the maff sensor on the intake?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:24 pm

Looks like the Maf has a boss welded in and fits just behind the pod.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Ahh yes thanks Tony, i see it after I zoomed in. ;-)

I can also see you haven't changed the charge pipe from the turbo? Any plans to custom this as well? Is usually the one that fails and blows off when running higher boost. ;-)

And what's with that engine cover? Your obviously plan is to be more of a performance/mall cruiser ''show car'' not a real off roader yes? And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. :-)

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jimy89 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:58 am

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feedback ;)
But yeah as most have probably guessed the legality side of things dosnt bother me too much, all my cars are kind of like this. Yeah ill have to edit those pics, just got a little excited haha.

As for the Pod filter, its reading the same temp as my air box was, and is now got a rear heatsheild/mud guard.

This truck is mostly a show pony, only does small runs into the state forest here which has almost zero water crossing type scenarios.

Engine cover was just done as a little bit of a drift/JDM look, only the cheap vinyl wrap off the net, dons like the heat much. If i decide on keeping it i want to look at hydro dipping.

The jungle flares are almost 5" wide if I'm correct? I want to run these and still try keep the wheels flush or a bit outside the guard. Just for that tough look really. But if spacers are more hassle than what they're worth i won't bother, i have a decent offset anyways.

I think I've been lucky with my egr at the moment, no codes. Ive only had a single underboost code when i was towing the HQ to the drags.

The charge pipe is also hard piped as of yesterday :D
All the piping I made myself at work, perks of being a fitter.

The idea of my build is just to get a tough look, with a bit of performance, see how far i can go. ( still researching chips and tunes)
Jimy89

Postby Tony on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:14 am

If not a long distance hauler you can have some fun with the 2.5. 8-) That crazy cylinder head is good for around 360HP with a turbo change. Around 240HP is achievable on stock turbo before chemical tuning etc.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lachiem on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:56 am

Jimy89 wrote:...

Engine cover was just done as a little bit of a drift/JDM look, only the cheap vinyl wrap off the net, dons like the heat much. If i decide on keeping it i want to look at hydro dipping.

Love the look of the engine cover wrap
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby Jimy89 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:34 pm

lachiem wrote:
Jimy89 wrote:...

Love the look of the engine cover wrap

Thanks mate
Jimy89

Postby Jimy89 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Tony wrote:If not a long distance hauler you can have some fun with the 2.5. 8-) That crazy cylinder head is good for around 360HP with a turbo change. Around 240HP is achievable on stock turbo before chemical tuning etc.

Yeah right. Do you know what sort it turbo people change it too?
Jimy89

Postby Tony on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:37 pm

IHI RHC7. They are a popular upgrade for drift cars. You would need a much larger low pressure drop IC, 3" exhaust and some form of tuning.

The lag would be horrid with a tow vehicle as yours, but the 2.5 but would kick arse once on song. :twisted:

Stay with the factory IHI VGT for now. You will be surprised how well they respond to being tuned.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Tony wrote:IHI RHC7. They are a popular upgrade for drift cars. You would need a much larger low pressure drop IC, 3" exhaust and some form of tuning.

The lag would be horrid with a tow vehicle as yours, but the 2.5 but would kick arse once on song. :twisted:

Stay with the factory IHI VGT for now. You will be surprised how well they respond to being tuned.

A lot of the Malaysian guys are using the IHI VF34 turbos. They're standard on JDM STI Subaru WRX.

I've also seen the Thai tuners do a manifold kit to fit the turbo from the Colorado onto the MN.

;)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:53 pm

Interesting you mention the Colorado conversion as ChipIt Australia (Back when in action) were looking at the same thing.

I don't consider the Colorado a viable upgrade unless running the IHI RHF4 found on the low out put multivalved 2.5.

IHI VF34 would be a lot more sensible (drivable) although not make the HP as the IHI RHC7.

Chipit also developed a hydrid between subi and evo7 that looked promising. All by the way side now. :|
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jimy89 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Yeah nice.
That's some good info guys ;) :)
Jimy89

Postby Jimy89 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:13 pm

So the truck finally got to see a little bush today. Found out the standard springs have about as much flex as a stale loaf of bread haha.
But in saying that, it did monster through all the little climbs and pits. :D
Jimy89

Postby Jimy89 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:18 pm

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
Jimy89

Postby Jimy89 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Jimy89

Postby Jimy89 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Jimy89

Postby Jimy89 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Click to view larger picture
Jimy89

Postby Jimy89 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Heres a couple little vids.
So you can actually hear what it sounds like also ;)

https://youtu.be/XpOR24urwtU

https://youtu.be/1GFN8Nm4b48
Jimy89

Postby Tomasaries on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:20 pm

How u gunna go with warranty, if or wen its needed, i think u gone more for a street machine look than a 4x4 to b used wat they r made for, as everyone recons it looks great, i think it looks terrible, oh well each to their own
Tomasaries

Postby Tony on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 pm

The Turbo dose is sick. 8-) :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you have a pigeon stuck in the pod filter? :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:46 pm

That dosing does sound funny! :lol:

Good to see you've got the Tri dirty. ;) Yes flex is limited, you need a locker or two. ;)

Looks like a good day out, bit of mountain biking too by the look of it. ;) Been a few years since I've been up to Ourimbah on the mtb, how're the tracks?

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mnbrodie on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:10 pm

Tuff truck mate love the blacked out grill, how are the coil spacers going for you?
mnbrodie

Postby Jimy89 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:22 am

Haha yeah it's pretty loud, sounds funny when your bouncing around.

The dh tracks are still awesome, they still go down and do constant changes to keep it fun. The 4x4 trails are slowly getting more intense as they rut out. Like the ones last year were only sill deep are now window height!

Yeah mate spacers going alright I guess haha, no issues. You just lose a bit of downward travel. But that still didn't stop it getting through anything
Jimy89

Postby motoz on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:58 am

Jimy89 wrote:Heres a couple little vids.
So you can actually hear what it sounds like also ;)

https://youtu.be/XpOR24urwtU

https://youtu.be/1GFN8Nm4b48

Nice work.

At 1:29min in the first video the rear was stuck on a ledge. Next time your out and it happens apply some hand brake.

It will clamp the spinning wheel and the torque transfer will get you up n over.

;)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups