Which first mod/accessory for mn glx?

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Which first mod/accessory for mn glx?

Postby lachy773 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:21 am

Hi guys just got a new glx mn , just wondering what's the first thing you would do to it? Budget is tight and the boss is strict haha! So far it has roof racks , timber racks and towbar, came with side steps. Was thinking maybe a nudge bar off eBay etc. . Or rear bar or snorkel. Any other suggestions?
lachy773

Re: Which first mod/accessory for mn glx?

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:33 am

Stop the EGR from working. First and best mod.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mayhem2015 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:49 am

G'day Lachy,

Most guys on here do some preventative mods first in the way of upgraded bash plates or a strategy to reduce carbon build-up (catch can, EGR module or EGR blank/block). These mods address known issues. If you are off road a bit then the bash plates are highly recommended as the standard ones are poo.

EGR and catch can address issue of build up of carbon in manifold. Read up about it through the forum. Lots of info.

I would do lights after that.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby lachy773 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Thanks guys! Recommendations on bash plates? Where did you guys get yours ? Also Egr sounds good cos my last truck a ranger had a blocked egr and it overheated !! Only thing I am wondering about is the warranty etc..
lachy773

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:15 pm

lachy773 wrote:Thanks guys! Recommendations on bash plates? Where did you guys get yours ? Also Egr sounds good cos my last truck a ranger had a blocked egr and it overheated !! Only thing I am wondering about is the warranty etc..

You can buy a plug in module from SPV Industries, that you simply remove when you take it in for service. They will never know......
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mayhem2015 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:25 pm

As BIll said SPV is a simple solution.

Custom off road accessories have a special on bash plates at the moment. They have a thread you can check out. I Just ordered the 3mm mild steel. They have 4mm and stainless options too.

Plenty of providers for plates. Look at some of the forum sponsors. Custom off road are the cheapest I have found and I do mostly sand track and beach sort of 4wding. If I was up and down boulder field I might have gone more robust.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby ken_gilchrist on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Suspension for sure. I have had mine on the stock rubbish for 5 years and can't wait to get my order in next week for an upgrade. The factory stuff is rubbish with excessive body roll and sometimes i feel like the car wants to jump off the road on a corner with slight off camber and a few pot holes.

For me, if I had my time again I would do that first before anything else.
ken_gilchrist

Postby MilkmanDan on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:47 pm

I think the standard suspension isn't near as bad as what everyone carries on about. It's a light commercial leaf sprung rear end not a euro sedan.

If anything the back needs a pair of konis to stop it bouncing around and skittish on bumps, otherwise rest is fine
MilkmanDan

Postby Tritonmax on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:21 pm

My 2 cents would be good quality tyres. The standard tyres really are crap, unless you plan to never leave the black top. How big and how aggressive a pattern depends on what you want to do. For me, mostly touring and mild offroad, I opted for cooper AT3's.
Tritonmax

Postby jasonnewbie on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:35 pm

I just had egr block and pro vent catch can done last few days, inlet manifold bath/clean, oill change and filter (i supplied my own oil) injectors and tappits checcked, picked it up today $1090. Pretty hapy :D :D :D
FLASH AS A RAT WITH A GOLD TOOTH.
jasonnewbie

Postby lachy773 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Wow thanks guys. Egr sounds like a goer! So the original bash plates even though they must be 3-4mm are still no good? Do they use a better design or metal in the aftermarket ones? I plan to do quite a bit of beach trips. As for tyres - anyone got a 31 inch tyre with no lift ? I'd like a bit more clearance without lifting the trucks suspension p.s I quite like the stock suspension but I don't know too much about suspension but I don't seem to get much body roll and handles much better than my previous ranger.
lachy773

Postby lachy773 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Mayhem2015 wrote:G'day Lachy,

Most guys on here do some preventative mods first in the way of upgraded bash plates or a strategy to reduce carbon build-up (catch can, EGR module or EGR blank/block). These mods address known issues. If you are off road a bit then the bash plates are highly recommended as the standard ones are poo.

EGR and catch can address issue of build up of carbon in manifold. Read up about it through the forum. Lots of info.

I would do lights after that.

Egr block and catch can are both done together or just one or the other?
lachy773

Postby jasonnewbie on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:07 pm

Do both together
FLASH AS A RAT WITH A GOLD TOOTH.
jasonnewbie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:22 pm

You'd get away with just the EGR block. Without the carbon coming through the oily mist doesn't tend to accumulate enough to worry about.

The original bash plates are nowhere near 3 or 4mm. They're light enough that you can jump on them and bend them flat. The aftermarket ones I had a hard time bending even with a good size sledge hammer.

You'll fit 31s easy enough with no lift. Those big wheel arches make life easy that way. They're deadset asking for bigger tyres really.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby lachy773 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks Jason and dave! And everyone for you info
lachy773

Postby buffhunt on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:36 am

lachy773 wrote:Thanks guys! Recommendations on bash plates? Where did you guys get yours ? Also Egr sounds good cos my last truck a ranger had a blocked egr and it overheated !! Only thing I am wondering about is the warranty etc..

I fitted a set of Ironman Underbody Protection, cost me $394 and was easy. I posted about it here.
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=18687
My pic actually shows 2 front plates, so there are only 3 plates in the set. I liked it, because it supplies a transmission plate as part of that set, not just the Sump plates. It was easy to fit in the end, I struggled interpreting the instructions initially.
Cheers,
buffhunt

The worst bit about growing old is remembering your youth! :shock:
buffhunt
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lachy773 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:59 pm

buffhunt wrote:

I fitted a set of Ironman Underbody Protection, cost me $394 and was easy. I posted about it here.
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=18687
My pic actually shows 2 front plates, so there are only 3 plates in the set. I liked it, because it supplies a transmission plate as part of that set, not just the Sump plates. It was easy to fit in the end, I struggled interpreting the instructions initially.

looks bloody tuff mate both the look of it and the fitting haha! seems like a good idea to me!
lachy773

Return to Member Build Ups