Ricks Stormtrooper Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Ricks Stormtrooper Build

Postby Ricky on Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 2012 MN Triton in pretty good condition, its an ex council ute.
I used to have cheap fourbys that I would take out to fourby parks and spend a lot of money repairing. This time I want to build something that I can take touring and camping.
I grew up camping on the school holidays but Mum was a powered site type of camper whereas I prefer to rough it. My wife and I have a 7 month old daughter and I want her to grow up camping and knowing how to live away from the city.

This will be a multi purpose type of vehicle as I use it for my daily driver, I use it on the sand to get to fishing spots, it goes out west with shooters on the back of it (which rules out a canopy), and I want to be able to tackle the big ticket destinations like cape York.

So here it is in the pretty much stock form that I got it in.

Click to view larger picture[/url]

I have named it stormtrooper I'm going to do the blacked out look.
This build isn't going to winning any races as once our bubba came along excess cash went out the window but I will update it as I go along.

So far all I have done is install a uniden remote mount 80 channel UHF. I mounted the unit under the dash with some pretty strong double sided tape and it holds pretty well.

I picked up a scotts rods exhaust today which I will fit tomorrow night after work, being a mechanic by trade I can save a lot of money doing my own work and servicing.
Once the exhaust goes on it is booked in at Mercury Motorsports to get the ECU retuned.

It is also booked in to get the windows tinted before Christmas which I am looking forward to as I cop the sun on the drivers side the whole way to work in the morning.

Once these few things are done the cashola will be drained so will be a bit of a wait before anything else happens.
Ricky

Re: Ricks Stormtrooper Build

Postby Duck on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Nice work !! Leather baby seat could be the next mod :)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Maybe some spare 12 volt ports in the rear for ipad /tablet charging and a headrest DVD player! Oh and earphones, so you don't have to listen to whatever is playing ;)
Tasc4life

Postby Ricky on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Ok so here's some updates.

I installed my Scotts Rods exhaust which was pretty easy and straight forward, took about an hour or so.
Did not notice any difference in engine performance but this was expected pre tune. The nosie level with the cat in is only slightly above factory noise levels so very happy with that.

Next was the arb rear step. Again it was a pretty straight forward excersie to fit which took just over an hour to mount it up. I have not done the wiring yet but I will do a bit of a write up as I do it because I will be doing something different to what everyone else has done that I have read.

And finally I went into Mercury Motorsports for a dyno tune today. When I went in I mentioned that this perticular triton had more power than any of the other tritons that I test drove. The tuner confirmed this when after its initial run it produced about 100kw and 450nm of torque in factory form.
Why it did this we have no idea but apparently it's a healthy engine.
After we did a mild tune the figures ended up being about 140kw and 600nm. An impressive gain for a mild tune, but gains weren't all I was after. I wanted a more linear torque curve and I wanted peak torque earlier which the tune delivered.
Very happy with the result and would recommend these guys to anyone.

I will take some photos of the rear bar, exhaust and the dyno sheet and post them up tomorrow.
Ricky

Postby Ricky on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:19 pm

I also want to post up my fuel consumption figures for a reference. As I do a mod I will add it to the list and we can see what mods affect fuel consumption the most.

Mods.
Factory bullbar, 245x70R16 tyres, heavy A/C use.

820km from 65L for 7.9L/100km.
12.69km/L. Full 75L tank would be 951km.

Mods.
Factory bullbar, 245/70R16 tyres, minimal A/C use, Scotts 3" exhaust.

833km from 63L for 7.56L/100km.
13.22km/L. Full 75L tank would be 991km.
Ricky

Postby snakesoup on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:23 pm

this all down hill with a tail wind I take it Ricky
snakesoup

Postby Ricky on Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:51 pm

Snakesoup,
I travel pretty much flat terrain no hills to speak of. And probably 70% highway km.
Ricky

Postby snakesoup on Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:11 am

yep yep, mine definitely gets better economy on the highway, really good on the 80 zones , but I don't quite get what you get
snakesoup

Postby Ricky on Sat May 14, 2016 12:13 pm

I haven't updated this thread in a while so through I would post up some new pics.

Last week I upgraded the shoes to 235/85R16 in the form of General Grabber A/T2s. Ended up getting them for $335 per corner including the new rims. Pretty happy with the on road performance and they are nice and quiet. I have not had the chance to take them off road yet but I reckon they will perform well.
They have also corrected my speedo checked with a GPS and weirdly enough they haven't affected fuel usage, I'm still getting around 8L/100km.

Click to view larger picture

The mods I have done since the first post is the exhaust and tune, fitted the arb rear bar, tinted the windows, fitted some new rallye 4000 driving lights, and fit the new tyres and rims.

Next week the sports bar comes off to get powder coated satin black and I also have some steel at work to make up some sliders, just have to find the time to do it.

I am also in the process of getting some recovery points made up for the front. I might make up a few extra sets so if anyone is interested in some let me know, they will not be load rated however.
Ricky

Postby snakesoup on Sat May 14, 2016 1:41 pm

looking good rick, great tyre size choice too, IMO the best size for the tryty
how much did you pay for the rally's ?? and where from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby Ricky on Sat May 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks mate

I was under decided on wether to get 265/75 or 235/85. In the end I opted for the skinnys to see how they perform.

I got my rallyes at trade price mate through work, $400 a pair +GST
Ricky

Return to Member Build Ups