Glxr Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Glxr Build

Postby bjm74 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:58 am

Nice looking rig moses. What are the rock sliders you've fitted?
bjm74

Postby moses on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 am

http://www.dominator4x4.com.au

They were really good to deal with and are reasonably priced even including postage.

Tough as and bolt straight up, with full welded U brackets going under the chassis rails. They tuck in nice and close. Have given them a hiding and they have held up well.

The Mrs hates them though, even with grip tape on them they aren’t the easiest to step on. So if you’ve got kids or a short partner they’re a bit awkward.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:13 am

Went out with a mate who does video editing and has some awesome camera so here’s some action shots from the video.

Really happy with the canopy, have the spare mounted on the back now.

Wish there was more flex, I get serious envy seeing the solid axle flex monsters in action but with flicking the twin lockers makes light work of most places.

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bjm74 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 am

moses wrote:http://www.dominator4x4.com.au

They were really good to deal with and are reasonably priced even including postage.

Tough as and bolt straight up, with full welded U brackets going under the chassis rails. They tuck in nice and close. Have given them a hiding and they have held up well.

Cheers. What thickness did you go with? I notice they have a couple of different options on their website. Did you find you've got more clearance in that area compared to having the factory steps on?
bjm74

Postby moses on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 am

From memory they’re 3.2mm.

The angled ones tuck in closer than the factory steps but I imagine the flat ones they sell (which would make a better step) would probably hang out a bit
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jacobie on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 am

Awesome progression Moses, every time I log on, there's something new going on 8-) The tray looks awesome too!
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby moses on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Click to view larger picture

Got it nice and dusty over the last couple of days in the high country. Dargo - Wonnangatta - Mt Hotham

Awesome views, great history and the car did what it was built to do.... though it’s still getting hot, saw temps as high as 112deg but I monitored it and had no actual issues.

Also lost two bash plate bolts, and on inspection one of the middle mounts has had the (replacement heavy duty) nuts stripped... can only assume it was during the 90k service just gone...

Some of the steep descents really had me pining for reduction gears though.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TheSheepKed on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Great shots - is that Blue Rag Range? How did you find the drive up?

Also, how's running the larger tyre size on the stock rims (I assume they're 265s)? Do you find there's any issue with it?
TheSheepKed

Postby moses on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:18 pm

I did blue rag about Christmas time, while steep in parts it wasn’t difficult. Anything with low range and good (all terrains) tyres will do it fine in the dry, assuming not a total beginner offroad.
The drop down into the valley and back up offers a little more of a challenge and wouldn’t be fun in the wet (which goes for a lot of the high country)
My profile pic is from there and there should be a photo a page back from the track too.

The most recent photos were from Mt Murray which can be reached from Twin Jeep Track and is very close to Blue Rag, though about 60m lower. Definitely recommend having a look at Mt Murray, very similar style drive and views to Blue Rag.

No major concerns running the tyres, they are 265/75/16. Braking and power are diminished somewhat, but after a little while it’s not noticeable.

Map showing how close Blue Rag and Mt Murray are
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:47 pm

About to change out a headlight globe... not keen as it's snorkel side. Just wanted to say that the 130+ Philips buibs have lasted very well surprisingly. Highly recommend..

On another note, I have been looking at GU Patrol wagons recently.. do I start fresh again? I'm pretty keen to change into an auto with solid axles..
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 am

A patrol in good nick would be the logical choice as a project base.

Being further back before all the current emissions constraints would allow wider options in engine choice, solid platform, etc.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jacobie on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:54 am

How much did the canvas on the tray set you back Moses (if you don't mind me asking)?
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby moses on Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Jacobie wrote:How much did the canvas on the tray set you back Moses (if you don't mind me asking)?

Came with the canopy which I bought second hand, so couldn’t tell you sorry.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:43 pm

RHKTriton wrote:A patrol in good nick would be the logical choice as a project base.

Being further back before all the current emissions constraints would allow wider options in engine choice, solid platform, etc.

Mmm, there’s plenty of stock, clean, reasonably low k examples getting around.

Problem is selling up when I’ve put a lot of time and money into this already, and I’m not imagining a great sale price. Then having to sink a bunch of cash into the new one too.. decisions decisions
Last edited by moses on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:23 pm

moses wrote:
RHKTriton wrote:A patrol in good nick would be the logical choice as a project base.

Problem is selling up when I’ve put a lot of time and money into this already, and I’m imagining a great sale price. Then having to sink a bunch of cash into the new one too.. decisions decisions

Good one's with low low klm and one owner are rare and pull big $$ :shock: (it is a dealer though..)
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/penrith ... 1162609757
Looking out for a GU for neighbour who's scared of computers, what yr did all the emission changes start ?
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Decisions, decisions moses.....over having to change a lightbulb? :lol: :lol:

Why not keep the tri for cruising and buy a hack for bush fun?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Ray57MQ wrote:
moses wrote:

Problem is selling up when I’ve put a lot of time and money into this already, and I’m imagining a great sale price. Then having to sink a bunch of cash into the new one too.. decisions decisions

Good one's with low low klm and one owner are rare and pull big $$ :shock: (it is a dealer though..)
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/penrith ... 1162609757
Looking out for a GU for neighbour who's scared of computers, what yr did all the emission changes start ?

About the 25-30g mark will see a nice example ST 2011/2012 with 100-150k on it.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Decisions, decisions moses.....over having to change a lightbulb? :lol: :lol:

Why not keep the tri for cruising and buy a hack for bush fun?

Hah, wasn’t the lightbulb that did it, been on the cards a while. Just getting shitty with the low range and manual..

If I was to keep it, it’d be time for bigger tyres, reduction gears, and some kind of performance upgrades.

Or seriously start thinking about a solid axle swap....
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 am

Have decided to keep it, so here are some action videos and a snap of some snow I found this morning. Might be time to chase up those reduction gears,

https://youtu.be/Z9JxTG3FDEM

https://youtu.be/IQYqWcd-toY

moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi moses.

How many kms on your rig now?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi moses.

RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:28 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Hi moses.

About 95k. With a work ute and the Mrs nice car, the triton doesn’t get much of a run these days unless it’s for fun.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:54 am

Installed a 200w flexible solar panel on the canopy roof and a Proejcta SC220 solar controller inside the canopy.

The solar panel is junk, some cells have jagged edges, not installed square etc but seems to work ok. For $160 odd I wasn’t too fussed, it’s screwed and sikaflexed (I hate sikaflex, I always get it everywhere) to the canopy roof and in yesterday’s sun was putting out ~9A.

I didn’t want to lash out on anything too expensive to leave on the roof as I figured it’s more than likely going to get trashed offroad with sticks dragging over it. Will keep an eye on prices and get a portable unit at some stage, also so I don’t need have to park in the sun.

Quick wiring job to get it all up and running, all hooked up through Anderson plugs. Will tidy it up once I’ve decided what else needs to go in.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:03 am

moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Nice looking build Moses. I highly recommend getting the reduction gears if you've been thinking about them. I put mine in a few weeks ago after a year of sitting on the shelf and they totally transform the vehicle on technical rocky stuff. No need to crash and bash through stuff anymore.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups