ag9111's 3rd Triton

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

ag9111's 3rd Triton

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:49 am

Doing 170km per day travelling to and from work certainly racks up the km. At 5 years old and 154,000 km, my accountant suggested that my 09 Silver MN Dual cab ute was now a tax liability and I should think about upgrading.
Didn’t take much convincing from me as I was sick of it ending up on the back of a tray back, due to a string of minor issues caused by the dealer.

20082013019_1.jpg

I had lost confidence in the vehicle, although truth be told they were only minor, and easily rectified but I got stuck on the side of the road a couple of times and was over it.
I had not made up my mind what to get but I was looking for an auto and was leaning towards an Isuzu or a Foton with its sweet Cummins Diesel.
I had jumped on gumtree one afternoon and a GLX-r appeared about 5km away. Good price, long string of extra’s, Manual , Low km’s. I wasn’t looking for a 2nd hand vehicle but thought I would go and have a look to see what was available for the price.

My other 2 Tritons
08 ML
NT132_1.jpg

09 MN
IMG_0640 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ag9111 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: AG9111's 3rd Triton

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:52 am

Called him up and went around. Vehicle had been on sale of 36hrs and I liked what I saw even though it was a manual. We come to an agreement on a price and next day I picked up my new ute.

$_20[1]_1.jpg

$_20[3]_1.jpg

$_20[4]_1.jpg

2013 Manual GLX-r man dual Cab, Full leather, 9600km
It was pretty well modified when I got it with
Very impressive professionally installed stereo.
3” exhaust and chip from ROO systems
ARB bulbar and LED light bar
ARB rear step
UHF
Dual Battery system
Tough dog 2” lift
Alpha GSE Canopy
17”x8” +25 American Racing Wheels & 265/65/17 BFG All Terrains, Over rated tyres
Safari Snorkel
Probably other stuff I have forgotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: ag9111's 3rd Triton

Postby borngeek on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:15 am

Still have to help you try to kill the 3rd one. :P :lol:

//Give peeps the inside on how you setup your tray. So organised. ;)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:29 am

borngeek wrote:Still have to help you try to kill the 3rd one. :P :lol:

//Give peeps the inside on how you setup your tray. So organised. ;)

Since you asked so nicely
Had a trip to Fraser planned, and an upcoming road trip to South Australia, so some rear storage was required.
I use this vehicle for work and I carry tools, equipment etc so it really needs to be organised.
I decided to go with the aluminium extrusion system this time. I reinforced it at the corners with poly
sheet to stop the plastic joiners breaking.
I have a 65l water tank against the front of the tub, the second battery lives just in front of the fridge on the drivers side. Fwd of that is a compartment for those items not regularly used.
Passengers side gets a 1200mm long draw on slides
I built the fridge slide myself using purchased slides. All the stainless for the slide was bent up at mates rates :D.

20151123_212440_1.jpg

20151125_230619_1.jpg

20151128_094724_1.jpg

I have also added a shelf and box that replaces the fridge when it is not being used.

Didn't end up taking this ute to Fraser. We took the silver one. I owned them both for about 12 months before I got around to selling the silver one.

At the same time I welded up an internal frame to take the roof top tent and incorporated this into the draw system.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:20 pm

With any second hand vehicle there will be issues that the previous owner has created/caused that you will not be happy with. This one had a few that i got sorted pretty quick.
The alpine head unit would blink into the reverse camera mode every time I put the left blinker on. Fixed by the original installer within 10 mins. Kudos to Oak Flats Electronics for their immediate resolution, as i am the second owner, but they knew what the issue was and should never left the workshop like that.
The installers of the stereo installed the trip computer into the single din pocket but the compass didn't work. I moved the magnetic field detector from the top of the trip computer to the top of the alpine head unit in the double DIN pocket and all resolved. Once i rotated it to the correct orientation. :oops:
As i live near the beach, the center caps on the alloy wheels started corroding very quickly. A quick search of the American racing website found they do different center caps for different wheels. I ordered a different set of center caps, in Stainless and plastic, and had them modified by a sheet metal worker as they were too long. They look much better as I wsan't a fan of the original chrome caps.
Major issue is the wiring coming off the battery. The stereo installer had also installed the dual battery system and just kept putting wires on the battery. I have made it worse by also adding headlight upgrades and a Stebel.

20160607_203445_1.jpg

Wires hanging off the battery positive post are 35mm cable for dual battery system. 10mm cable for 4 channel amp, 6mm cable for Sub, 4mm cable for light bar, 2.5mm for Stebel, 2off 2mm for the headlight upgrade

I want to install a winch in this vehicle. Its been sitting in the garage for the last 18 months :oops: awaiting a resolution to the many wires hanging off the battery post.
I am working on a fix and have just had some metal work fabricated up. All going well I should clear up this issue in the next week
Last edited by ag9111 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Whilst i had the silver MN I partook in a group buy of the A pillar gauge pod as well as some SAAS boost and EGT gauges.
Never installed them, so after owning them for over 2 years I installed them to see how the ROO system chip and exhaust was affecting things.

20150814_230000_1.jpg

20150818_055107_1.jpg

I have settled for the red backlight but there are other colours.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:39 pm

On my trip to Fraser I picked up a bad batch of fuel form a Caltex servo in Grafton. Took me 3 fuel filters before I cleared that tank of crap out but i decided that I had better install a secondary finer filter for future.
I am often in areas where the quality of fuel could be dodgy so thought I would be more proactive. Saying that, the only bad fuel i have ever got was from the main street of Grafton so go figure.

20160607_203422_1.jpg

I picked up this filter plus spare cartridges, spare oil filter and primary filter cartridges from a member on here who sold his ute.
From the same person I also got a basic windbooster, bash plates and some other stuff for a very very good deal. Ta Kegsy :D

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joel on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:56 pm

Always pays too keep an eye out for things others are selling off hey Garth ;)
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Yes Joel.
Sometimes you get a good deal. ;)

Check out my build on my second ute. I got a really bizarre deal on a canopy.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4206&p=62744#p62744

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:09 am

20160423_225803_1.jpg

Because i can :D

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:25 am

After having them sitting around for over 12 months I decided to fit up the Hella headlight upgrade kit.
The upgrade kit makes a huge difference over standard for both high and low beam. I upped the globes to the phillips 120+ range
At the same time I also fitted some Jaycar DRL's into the fog light surround that I always used to think was a waste of space. I had been trying to find something to fit the bullbar or front profile of the ute for ages but couldn't find anything suitable. They were not a perfect fit in there and I had to feather the edges slightly to make them fit, but i'm happy with them. Pity i couldn't get them to line up better.
These are not ADR approved. They are not as bright as some, especially the Peugeot and Citroen models, but they do me.

20160423_225749_1.jpg

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:15 am

Garth. thanks for the update. i have these light assemblies and i can tell you i wasn't particularly happy with the halogen options. after going to HID (with the manual levelling adjuster - i wouldn't do it otherwise) it is awesome. Your light supplier may have an idea of wiring and kit. :? :lol: Amazing low beam coverage. i don't really notice the high beams as the Nemesis 9000's kinda overrule everything else. :lol: :lol:

i am looking for something for the wing edges for better spread when driving slowly in winding terrain though.

need to catch up mate. 8-)

// i probably should explain that with the halogens there just wasn't the light intensity and spread of the standard lights (although the standards had the better globes as well). I guess this is just the nature of these lights and the small orifice the lens shines through.
Last edited by snowman on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

ag9111's 3rd Triton

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:18 am

F
viking shippy

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:25 am

Articulate as always VS

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:27 am

Mark
You saying you need more lateral light or the HIDs gave you more lateral light?

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jason91 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:38 pm

snowman wrote:Garth. thanks for the update. i have these light assemblies and i can tell you i wasn't particularly happy with the halogen options. after going to HID (with the manual levelling adjuster - i wouldn't do it otherwise) it is awesome. Your light supplier may have an idea of wiring and kit. :? :lol: Amazing low beam coverage. i don't really notice the high beams as the Nemesis 9000's kinda overrule everything else. :lol: :lol:

i am looking for something for the wing edges for better spread when driving slowly in winding terrain though.

need to catch up mate. 8-)

// i probably should explain that with the halogens there just wasn't the light intensity and spread of the standard lights (although the standards had the better globes as well). I guess this is just the nature of these lights and the small orifice the lens shines through.

I see what you did there.

I'm going to see the light supplier in a fortnight :D
Jason91

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:24 pm

My light supplier is not the same as yours Snowy.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:12 pm

ag9111 wrote:My light supplier is not the same as yours Snowy.

oh ok. i didn't want to dob him in. :lol: :lol:

the HIDS just gave a heap more light to the sides (as well as in front) than the halogen arrangement. others on here will know why i guess. i just turn them on. :lol: :roll: HIDs are awesome for low beams. there only black mark is warm up time which i can't stand for high beams.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

ag9111's 3rd Triton

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:01 pm

ag9111 wrote:Articulate as always VS

Sorry Lol..I got you mistaken for another member and I realised deleted my post.. where I did a lot of work developing a mould for a arb fog light housing and he had a sook because I kept the moulds as he didn't pay for the labour involved in making and designing them so if your interested in some drop me a pm...

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my oldClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
viking shippy

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:11 pm

They look the goods. :mrgreen:
What do they look like from the other side?

All my fiberglassing jobs have been a total disaster and usually end up in the bin.

Woops, for some reason my computer didn't see the 2nd photo till refresh

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Whipped up some screens for the canopy windows after I busted some local lowlife checking out the $10,000 odd worth of test gear in the back. Have only done the sides atm as with out any light coming in, its almost black in the back due to the tint.

Screens 11.jpg

Screens 21.jpg

Was going to get the quilted offerings but they worked out at nearly $200 for the set :shock:
I have always been concerned with gear moving around on top of the drawers and busting a window. These screens will hopefully stop that, as they are made from 7mm ply with cheap front windscreen reflectors glued on. The ply should spread the impact load over a bigger area.
Total cost about $6 :D as i had most of the stuff lying around.

Only issue i have is the reflectors have a "grain" on them and i tried to get all 4 screens out of 2 reflectors. Didn't realise it at the time, but the back ones have the "grain" on a slant. Will see if my OCD can handle the different look :roll:. Not a biggie to rip the reflector off and replace with a new one.

Just have to do the front and rear windows now, which will only be a mesh to stop moving items going through the glass.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Member Build Ups