“Dumbo” 2013 MN GL R Triton

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

“Dumbo” 2013 MN GL R Triton

Postby joomin90 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:40 pm

G’day everyone,

I’ve been on the forum for a few years now and finally getting around to writing up my own build. There’s few more things I would like to add but all shall happen in due time.

I bought the ute in 2013 after my brother purchased a Navara D40. I personally liked the Hilux, however couldn’t justify paying the extra $$ on a car that’s been out for almost a decade. And I couldn’t pass on the price.. I paid 31k driveaway
I have to admit, I was hesitant on buying a Mitsubishi because I always regarded as an inferior brand. However, my perception has now changed. I’ve had some recall and warranty issues but this was done without a fuss and she’s been running like a dream. People are surprised by the triton on the tracks. And it’s definitely not the driver, cause I’m a novice in 4wd.. I’m sure everyone has experienced this at some point. “you won’t make it up this climb” blah blah blah

I was new to the 4wd scene, as a kid my old man had a Toyota 80 series but the only 4wding we did was beach runs at Stockton or Boat harbour. My brother and I started off with our stock utes and tackled easy tracks, and soon we were exposed to the modifications of 4wds. Within 4 months my brother’s Navara was completely transformed, I would say he spent over 10k at ARB haha. That gave me the inspiration to start building my Ute, however I couldn’t justify spending that much money so all of my mods were done with bunch of mates over beers.

The biggest score I found was ARB bulbar on gumtree, a deluxe bar on sale for $450!!! However, I did have to drive out to Mudgee to pick it up… Few close calls with the roos on the way back but managed to come back without incident.
The biggest trip I’ve done is Fraser Island in July 2015. 10 day trip with bunch of mates, eating freshly caught mud crabs for breakfast every day. Makes me nostalgic. The truck had no issues the whole trip until I came back and filled her up with premium unleaded….Thankfully I realised before I started the engine. This was an extremely embarrassing and expensive mistake.

I’ve now clocked up 68xxx km, I recently had the clutch replaced. It went in for a warranty job for a squeaky clutch fork since the gearbox was out and they advised me to change the clutch and would only charge for parts. So even though it wasn’t necessary I got the clutch replaced for $630, save me the pennies later down the track.

Anyways below is the list of my current mods:
ARB Deluxe Bullbar
ARB Under body protection
ARB Rear bar
Provent Oil Catch Can
Tony's ET Mod
Plugngo throttle controller
Scan gauge II
CSA Raptors 16
BFG KM2 265/75/16
Rear diff breather kit
Black sports bar DIY
Pioneer Double DIN with rear view camera
Oricom UHF
30' LED Light Bar (from ebay)
Rear work LED lights
Ebay snorkel

And Future mods:
ARB side steps and bars
Ultimate suspension lift
Winch
Lockers

Thanks for reading. Feel free to offer feedback, tips, suggestions and questions etc.

Off the showroom

Click to view larger picture

Snorkel and new shoes

Action shots

Triton vs Navara vs 80 Series

Fraser island shots